Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thirded, there’s no way I’m reading those books but I’d love to hear about them on a podcast :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

No you don't need to know anything. My cohost never has, I read most of them decades ago. We go through in small chunks, a few chapters at a time. It's not our first show, so it's safe to start at the beginning, we were already pretty seasoned. Plus Shadows of the Empire is the richest vein of hot nonsense so far.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Brocktoon posted:

I wanted to check out Talking Simpson’s since I have heard good things, but I noticed the more recent episodes are 2+ hours long, which is a lot to keep up with for a weekly podcast. Do they actually have that much to say about a single episode of The Simpsons or is it a lot of tangents?

It's mostly pretty focused but on some of the less notable Simpsons episodes they can drift and it feels like they could have used an editor. Also they can sometimes get bogged down in over explaining jokes (e.g. "I love that Homer says he just has to put his shoes on but he's in his underwear playing with slot cars! He had to do way more than just put his shoes on! He's not even wearing pants or a shirt or...")

They do know their stuff though and have plenty of relavent and interesting thing to say about every episode.

Having said that, I generally enjoy the show and hope I'm not being too mean because one (or more?) of the hosts are on SA.

So some episodes are better than others, I'd recommend starting with some of the classic Simpsons episodes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like that show but I kind of don't dig Chris Antista on podcasts. I feel like of all the regulars on any of his shows, he knows the least about... anything... but he's got the Radio DJ Voice who HASTOKEEPEVERYTHINGHIGHENERGYANDMOVINGALONG but mostly means he talks over the others who actually know their poo poo. He's like the Leo Laporte of geek podcasts.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This is just general bitching. Please feel free to ignore.

Over the last 2 years I did a podcast with a friend discussing the British Comedy Series Peep Show. I just discovered that shortly after we finished our podcast that someone else (who after talking to them loving listened to our show) decided to do their own version of it. Their logo is exactly like our logo, their talking points are almost the exact same, and while we are not direct competition since we are talking about different shows now, it still kind of loving pisses me off. Plus they are active on our shows twitter account so I feel like they are aping their audience based off the work my friend and I did. I don't want to be petty about it, but gently caress it pisses me off.

Thank you and feel free to ignore this post.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SalTheBard posted:

This is just general bitching. Please feel free to ignore.

Over the last 2 years I did a podcast with a friend discussing the British Comedy Series Peep Show. I just discovered that shortly after we finished our podcast that someone else (who after talking to them loving listened to our show) decided to do their own version of it. Their logo is exactly like our logo, their talking points are almost the exact same, and while we are not direct competition since we are talking about different shows now, it still kind of loving pisses me off. Plus they are active on our shows twitter account so I feel like they are aping their audience based off the work my friend and I did. I don't want to be petty about it, but gently caress it pisses me off.

Thank you and feel free to ignore this post.

That's downright weird. Did you call them out on it? What are their responses?

On an other topic, what do you guys will happen to gimlet now that spotify bought them?
Are they're gonna make their shows only available on spotify or what?
They really have some of the best shows, so I hope they don't gently caress anything up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I can't see them going Spotify-exclusive because there's still too much of the market lost by doing that.
Could be wrong though...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

mrfart posted:

That's downright weird. Did you call them out on it? What are their responses?.

Their response was "Wow lol our logos do look the same." If I talked about Seinfeld I'm sure my show would sound like any of the other Seinfeld podcasts. It's more the logo I'm annoyed about.

Mine is on the right, theirs is on the left

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

That sucks. Both your logos are cribbed from the prep show logo rather directly.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lampsacus posted:

That sucks. Both your logos are cribbed from the prep show logo rather directly.

Well yes. I mean my show was about Peep Show. My issue is that these guys listened to our podcast and were aware of it before they created their logo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think that by making shows spotify-exclusive, gimlet could cut out a lot of their audience. At the very least, spotify could get gimlet shows released before they are released on other podcast platforms.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Sucks about that peep show-show sniping, usually I'd just say that there happens to be many fans of a popular long-running series but if you're interacting with them directly and then seeing exact 1:1 replications of how you structure your show then that really sucks. Podcasts are kind of in the wild west phase right now though, and for better or worse (probably worse) these big media companies coming in might have some sort of regulating effects on the medium. For now, whichever show has the best content will end up winning so just keep being better than them and it'll shake out in the end.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anything new in true crime lately? Serial S3 lost me when it moved to individual story episodes, Up and Vanished guy seems to have vanished completely up his own rear end, and I've given up on Generation Why since they keep banging the "GUILTY!" drum even in cases with only the flimsiest circumstantial evidence. I'm down to just True Crime Garage on my subscribed list.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Julio Cruz posted:

Anything new in true crime lately? Serial S3 lost me when it moved to individual story episodes, Up and Vanished guy seems to have vanished completely up his own rear end, and I've given up on Generation Why since they keep banging the "GUILTY!" drum even in cases with only the flimsiest circumstantial evidence. I'm down to just True Crime Garage on my subscribed list.

If you are interested in a single case "cold' is really good. It's about this case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIyfp0u2R-Y

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 17, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Julio Cruz posted:

Casefile is good.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

Done Disappeared is great, and they just started season 3.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

As mentioned, Cold is pretty good.

Some others:

The first isn't brand new, but throwing it out there anyway
In the Dark
Two seasons, first is about Jacob Wetterling whose abduction sat unsolved for 27 years and could maybe have been solved basically when it happened. The second is about Curtis Flowers who has been put on trial 6 times over 21 years for the same crime.

Dr. Death
Which is about a spinal surgeon who was basically maiming and paralyzing people and kept doing it. Over and over as no one was able (or willing) to stop him.

And one that just started called Over My Dead Body

quote:

In “Tally,” the first season of OVER MY DEAD BODY, Dan and Wendi are two good-looking attorneys whose wedding is featured in the New York Times. But when this “perfect” couple falls apart, it leads to a bad breakup, a worse divorce, and a murder case involving a menagerie of high-priced lawyers and unexpected co-conspirators.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Broken Harts is a few months old now but I just listened to the whole thing a week or two ago and it's pretty good and definitely hosed up :eyepop:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Bear Brook was quite interesting. They find several bodies in a barrel in the middle of the woods.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
talking about true crime, why did 'case closed' get any media attention?
I read about it in the guardian I think. I listened to the first 4 episodes and I really don't know why.
Maybe I'm just tired of the genre.
'conviction' is a great show about the life of an eccentric private detective in the Bronx. But everybody probably already knew about it?

In other podcast news,
'the end of the world' is a very nerdy science podcast about, well, the end of the world, and so far I like it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Monster by iheartradio is pretty interesting.
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-monster-28735578/

This season they are exploring the Zodiac Killer and it's been interesting so far.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cockblocktopus posted:

Broken Harts is a few months old now but I just listened to the whole thing a week or two ago and it's pretty good and definitely hosed up :eyepop:

I enjoyed this podcast a lot but as a new parent it really hit Me loving hard

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

I enjoyed this podcast a lot but as a new parent it really hit Me loving hard

Yeah, I'm super glad I listened to it, but holy hell did it dredge up a bunch of poo poo for me.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
The Bernie Sanders rally where the bird lands with them in the upper left keeps getting shared cause he announced, it is super creepy now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Looking for a wrasslin' podcast that focuses on humor, salacious stories, backstage drama, candid interviews.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

escape artist posted:

Looking for a wrasslin' podcast that focuses on humor, salacious stories, backstage drama, candid interviews.

Wrestlesplania or Something Awful's own The Monumental Podcast

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

escape artist posted:

Something to Wrestle With

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

While not fitting neatly into the true crime box, this latest season of commons, has been focussing on corruption in Canada, and relatedly Thunder Bay is a 5 part investigation into what the hell is going on in the hate crime capital of Canada.

I recommend both.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thunder Bay is well worth listening to but I feel like he didn’t flesh out the story well enough. He did a great job but I don’t understand why he cut it off so short.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

sweet_jones posted:

Something to Wrestle With

Oh gently caress that's a great answer. On that note 83 Weeks with Eric Bischoff is also pretty good but Bischoff drives me nuts sometimes.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Snowy posted:

Thunder Bay is well worth listening to but I feel like he didn’t flesh out the story well enough. He did a great job but I don’t understand why he cut it off so short.

Iirc, it may have had to do with difficulties in getting people to talk to him, as well as simply having a tough time grappling with so many big issues. There were likely funding issues, as the entire thing was a crowd funding stretch goal for Canadaland in general. Ryan McMahon spoke about the production process on the Dec3 episode of Canadaland, if you're interested.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Slightly OT from podcasting, but on the subject of wrestling are there any good docs or movies worth catching to learn about the history of WWE? I know there’s a Hogan biopic in the works.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I just got a job where I got a lot of free ear-time, what are some good Night Vale-esque pods?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

KillerQueen posted:

I just got a job where I got a lot of free ear-time, what are some good Night Vale-esque pods?

Unwell is an audio drama that just launched a week or two ago. It bills itself as "midwestern gothic" and is about a young woman moving into her estranged mother's boarding house in a small Ohio town that's creepy in all the ways small Ohio towns are, plus a few extra ones. It's from the same production company as Our Fair City, if you're familiar with that show.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Highly recommend The Cryptonaturalist and Victoriocity if you want something that has a nice touch of humor with the weird, Tropical Moon for something warm and surreal, Archive 81 if you want something darker and weird and beautiful, and The Magnus Archives if you want episodic horror, and The Big Loop if you want something for which there is no way to prepare yourself.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Are there any podcasts like "God Awful Movies" but hosted by people who are actually funny and likeable? I'll even take specific episodes of movie-centric podcasts that just happen to be covering a religious film that week.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can I ask what the true crime enthusiasts think of the podcast "Undisclosed"? They launched as a rebuttal to Serial, feeling that it wasn't a full dive into Adnan's story. Considering they are his legal defense team, they're biased as hell in his favor, but I felt they made real good arguments.

They then moved on to other cases of erroneous convictions, and I liked it for what it was. Did I get duped, or are they legit?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

Unwell is an audio drama that just launched a week or two ago. It bills itself as "midwestern gothic" and is about a young woman moving into her estranged mother's boarding house in a small Ohio town that's creepy in all the ways small Ohio towns are, plus a few extra ones. It's from the same production company as Our Fair City, if you're familiar with that show.

Azathoth posted:

Highly recommend The Cryptonaturalist and Victoriocity if you want something that has a nice touch of humor with the weird, Tropical Moon for something warm and surreal, Archive 81 if you want something darker and weird and beautiful, and The Magnus Archives if you want episodic horror, and The Big Loop if you want something for which there is no way to prepare yourself.

Thank you and thank you!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

It's not Night Vale-esque in topic, but it is Night Vale esque in form? And funny. http://www.beefanddairynetwork.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Are there any podcasts like "God Awful Movies" but hosted by people who are actually funny and likeable? I'll even take specific episodes of movie-centric podcasts that just happen to be covering a religious film that week.

Good Christian Fun?