Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah don't use maple syrup--although that might be interesting to experiment with in other drinks. Bring a cup or two of water to simmer or low boil and pour in an equal amounts of sugar, turn off the heat and stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Let it cool and store it in a bottle--I like to use a plastic squeeze bottle like this and keep it stored in the fridge.

I need to get this and some bitters.

mod sassinator posted:

Here's a good drink you could try with your whiskey, an old fashioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZRj0mYMzc

Now I want an old fashioned :)
Now that I've watched a few youtubes about making an old fashioned it seems there is no standard way to make one and everyone comments on how the bitter's bottle's label doesn't fit on the bottle. Is there a story behind that? Even Maddow has a youtube on how to make an old fashioned.

What is the lowdown on using expensive drinks for cocktails? Is there any reason to use say Black Label JW rather than Red Label JW for a cocktail?

Troll Bridgington posted:

Having fresh fruit (lemons and limes) and herbs (mint) around is a good idea as well.

I'm thinking of getting some oranges, lemons and limes. What sort of drinks would I use mint in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mint julep, mojito, mai tai, for example.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Use turbinado(raw) sugar for simple syrup, it provides a much better flavor than regular sugar. I also keep a bottle of simple syrup in the refridgerator. It's my favorite way to make an old fashioned vs the sugar cube. I usually make 2 cups at a time. I add a tablespoon of high proof corn liquor as a preservative, and it'll pretty much last forever, and doesn't seem to change the flavor.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Baloogan posted:

I need to get this and some bitters.

Now I want an old fashioned :)
Now that I've watched a few youtubes about making an old fashioned it seems there is no standard way to make one and everyone comments on how the bitter's bottle's label doesn't fit on the bottle. Is there a story behind that? Even Maddow has a youtube on how to make an old fashioned.

What is the lowdown on using expensive drinks for cocktails? Is there any reason to use say Black Label JW rather than Red Label JW for a cocktail?

I'm thinking of getting some oranges, lemons and limes. What sort of drinks would I use mint in?

The story behind the label is supposedly a happy accident. One brother was in charge of the label, the other the bottle, queue mix-up and there you have it.

As far as using expensive alcohol in drinks: garbage in garbage out. Although there is a line for most people, I'm not going to be making an Old Fashioned out of Pappy 15 year...

Get fresh fruit for sure. The best sour mix is from fresh lemons and limes. I even throw in a bit of orange in my mix. 1 cup lemon, 1 cup lime, 1 cup simple syrup, and a quarter cup of orange.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 2, 2013

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
Thought I'd throw in a note and see if anyone has a similar experience. I have been progressing lately through some very nice Whiskeys including Glenmorangie 18, Glenlivet archive 21, Oban 18, and even split a bottle of Macallan 30 with a group of friends (yes, it officially ruined all of us) to celebrate something recently. One thing I hadn't dabbled in yet was Japanese, and people have been speaking highly of the Yamazaki 18. I ordered a bottle and cracked it open... and it's absolutely off-putting. Medicinal, astringent, rubbery and is very flat on the tongue and finishes harshly.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the 18? People rave about the bottle and I'm really weirded out and wondering if somehow I had an "off" bottle. I don't want to risk buying another though, since if it's at all similar I won't finish that one either.

Anyone else taste the things I tasted? I gave the bottle away to a friend, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it although it's not a favorite for him. He doesn't taste the astringency as much although he agreed with the rubber assessment. He called it "bicycle tire".

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 about a year ago and I'm about to finish it. I hated peaty scotches when I got it and now I see the appeal. What's another scotch that is also on the peatier side that is around the same price range and quality that I can replace it with?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Glottis posted:

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 about a year ago and I'm about to finish it. I hated peaty scotches when I got it and now I see the appeal. What's another scotch that is also on the peatier side that is around the same price range and quality that I can replace it with?

Ardbeg or Talisker. Highly recommend trying Laphroaig 18 if you can afford it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Wyeth posted:

Has anyone else had a similar experience with the 18? People rave about the bottle and I'm really weirded out and wondering if somehow I had an "off" bottle. I don't want to risk buying another though, since if it's at all similar I won't finish that one either.

Anyone else taste the things I tasted? I gave the bottle away to a friend, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it although it's not a favorite for him. He doesn't taste the astringency as much although he agreed with the rubber assessment. He called it "bicycle tire".
Nope, I get none of these from Yamazaki 18yr. In fact, I consider it one of the most 'flawless' whiskies I've ever tasted/smelled. There's something very wrong with your friend's palate if he gets bicycle tires out of Yamazaki and not Macallan.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Glottis posted:

Ardbeg 10 is the natural progression from Laphroaig 10. Ardbeg is slightly less intense on the peat front and offers some more nuanced salty and medicinal notes. They're both within $5 of each other and definitely both must-trys for any whisky enthusiast. Personally, I prefer Laphroaig to Ardbeg, but between the two you really can't go wrong.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Glottis posted:

Ardmore Traditional Cask (sweeter, fruitier)
Highland Park 12 (less intense peat, more like charcoal, malty)
Jura Superstition (less intense peat, coniferous, nutty, malty)
Ardbeg 10 (not as sweet, intense but cleaner peat, lemon cream or lemon zest)
Bowmore 12 (less intense peat, grassy, perfumey)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (cleaner wood smoke, but still peaty, mineral quality, sweet/syrupy)

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 3, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yamazaki 18 was amazing when I tried it. We talked about it a page or two ago.

Glottis posted:

For something a bit more restrained and refined, consider Lagavulin 16.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Nope, I get none of these from Yamazaki 18yr. In fact, I consider it one of the most 'flawless' whiskies I've ever tasted/smelled. There's something very wrong with your friend's palate if he gets bicycle tires out of Yamazaki and not Macallan.

That's pretty bizarre. I love Macallan and always have a bottle on hand, the Yamazaki 18 I bought was *nothing* like Macallan. Thanks for the note, perhaps I'll find some at a bar and give it another try.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Kenning posted:

Yamazaki 18 was amazing when I tried it. We talked about it a page or two ago.

For something a bit more restrained and refined, consider Lagavulin 16.

There's no better answer. This-

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So I picked up the Glendronach 15yr Revival tonight, and whoa baby it is great. I definitely can get how sherried whiskys might be considered an acquired taste, but I was hooked. It was surprisingly complex with lots of sweetness, dark fruits, a bit like an aged balsamic vinaigrette, with a nice long finish. Even periodically smelling the empty glass was pleasing, like smelling a tin of sweet tobacco. Speaking of, I had a second glass with a slightly sweet Virginia-style tobacco, which was a ticket straight to pleasuretown. This was definitely worth the purchase.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wyeth posted:

That's pretty bizarre. I love Macallan and always have a bottle on hand, the Yamazaki 18 I bought was *nothing* like Macallan. Thanks for the note, perhaps I'll find some at a bar and give it another try.

It's highly unlikely because Japanese whiskies are probably the most consistent in the world, but it's possible you just got a bad bottle.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Wyeth posted:

Thought I'd throw in a note and see if anyone has a similar experience. I have been progressing lately through some very nice Whiskeys including Glenmorangie 18, Glenlivet archive 21, Oban 18, and even split a bottle of Macallan 30 with a group of friends (yes, it officially ruined all of us) to celebrate something recently. One thing I hadn't dabbled in yet was Japanese, and people have been speaking highly of the Yamazaki 18. I ordered a bottle and cracked it open... and it's absolutely off-putting. Medicinal, astringent, rubbery and is very flat on the tongue and finishes harshly.

When I get a bottle that I have a bad first taste on, I'll let it sit for a while. It is quite possible it wasn't the bottle at all. Could have just been a weird day for you. I had a similar experience with my first bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. I went back to it weeks later and it was fine.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I fully endorse the Laphroaig 10 --> Ardbeg 10 --> Lagavulin 16 progression into Islay malts and then you can branch out into wonkier/rarer/more expensive stuff if you're still enjoying. Lagavulin 16 is like licking a big camp bonfire and a standard of something very good, very consistent and consistently available. There was some discussion of pricing for it a couple pages back. If you have the time/energy, do some comparison shopping because a lot of places will overcharge you.

I'm a little puzzled by throwing Jura Superstition in the "that kind of peaty" category since the peat is a lot less prominent in my experience of that flavor profile -- I like the Juras I've had for the Iodine/Sea Salt.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I'm a little puzzled by throwing Jura Superstition in the "that kind of peaty" category since the peat is a lot less prominent in my experience of that flavor profile -- I like the Juras I've had for the Iodine/Sea Salt.
It's got more peat than Highland Park, which I also threw in there. I included those because he asked about peated options available for the same price as Laphroaig 10, a $43 whisky. I left out Lagavulin 16 because, well, it's $65-80 depending on where you are. Also I consider Laphroaig 10 -> Ardbeg 10 the slightest of jumps...and if I hosted a tasting, I would pour Ardbeg 10 first of the peated options.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 3, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably look into Ardbeg 10 first. I've seen Lagavulin 16 around but I'd rather not completely spoil myself with a whisky that expensive when I'm just getting into the Islay thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just got myself a bottle of Oban 14. I've never tried it, so it was kind of a blind buy. Good decision? I can't drink at the moment, and the suspense is getting to me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cptn_dr posted:

I just got myself a bottle of Oban 14. I've never tried it, so it was kind of a blind buy. Good decision? I can't drink at the moment, and the suspense is getting to me.
Good buy.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I got some Woodford Reserve and am enjoying it so far. Some reviews I read beforehand said that the nose was sort of an offputting compost smell, and I can definitely tell what they are saying, it smells like a pile of wet grass clippings, but I kinda like it. Also smells a lot like banana. Probably my second favorite bourbon so far, after Knob Creek.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So my roomates' brother showed up this evening for video games, and he brought a gift he got from a customer (He runs his own home reno company). That gift was a bottle of Four Roses single batch. He didn't like it neat, and he, the idiot, mixed it with coke and didn't like it. So I offered to give him $10 for it, half as a joke. He said sure. So now, I got three bottles of pretty decent bourbon. I am beyond happy right now.

EDIT: I mean small batch, not single batch.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 5, 2013

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Tried some of The Yamakazi 12 yesterday at a bar. Gotta get myself a bottle of that ASAP. Was amazing from first to last sip.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

TG-Chrono posted:

Tried some of The Yamakazi 12 yesterday at a bar. Gotta get myself a bottle of that ASAP. Was amazing from first to last sip.

Good luck. The Yamazaki 12 isn't very expensive, but is often elusive. I bought it as a gift for my dad, who loved it, but now I can't seem to find it anymore.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

NightConqueror posted:

Good luck. The Yamazaki 12 isn't very expensive, but is often elusive. I bought it as a gift for my dad, who loved it, but now I can't seem to find it anymore.

That stuff is rare? There are about a dozen bottles of it at all three liquor stores by my house.

Man, we really need a goon liquor exchange. And for that to be legal.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I tried looking for it at a couple different places near me, no dice. Usually Binny's has everything I look for. :(

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Hello, whisk(e)y thread! It's been a while. :)

I recently saw something new and interesting on PA's state store website: Connemara Peated Single-Malt Irish Whiskey. Has anyone tried this stuff? I'm an Islay-fiend, and the price point ($40) is pretty reasonable, so it has me intrigued.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Hello, whisk(e)y thread! It's been a while. :)

I recently saw something new and interesting on PA's state store website: Connemara Peated Single-Malt Irish Whiskey. Has anyone tried this stuff? I'm an Islay-fiend, and the price point ($40) is pretty reasonable, so it has me intrigued.

It's good stuff.

Shame Cooley has been bought by Beam.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That stuff is rare? There are about a dozen bottles of it at all three liquor stores by my house.
Just checked K&L, D&M, Beltramo's and BevMo's websites. D&M has 1 bottle showing in stock, and the 18yr is now ~$140 when it used to be $100. That's not to say it's rare... I'm sure the distributor gets a massive bulk order every few months, so there are going to be big peaks and valleys.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

It's good stuff.

Shame Cooley has been bought by Beam.
Well if the rumors flying around are true, Diageo will probably end up buying Beam to get Sauza since their bid for Jose Cuervo fell through. Not only that, but Diageo obviously wants to expand their bourbon footprint beyond Bulleit.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 5, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

kidsafe posted:

Well if the rumors flying around are true, Diageo will probably end up buying Beam to get Sauza since their bid for Jose Cuervo fell through. Not only that, but Diageo obviously wants to expand their bourbon footprint beyond Bulleit.

Goddammit, they're going to own everything. I wonder if the fact that a large portion of their portfolio is origin specific (scotch, tequila) means that local governments might initiate antitrust proceedings against them at some point.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

I get the impression rye whiskey isn't as popular as regular bourbon, it seems to be mostly used in cocktails or mixed drinks. Is that because it tends to be lower quality, or does it just taste bad on its own? I'm interested in trying some (pretty much purely a scotch man at the moment) anyone got recommendations for a decent brand I can get in the UK?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, we really need a goon liquor exchange. And for that to be legal.

I mean, it's not Illegal to ship booze right? Is it just that we don't have age verification?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I mean, it's not Illegal to ship booze right? Is it just that we don't have age verification?

Don't know about private companies, but it's actually illegal to ship alcohol through the USPS. Unfortunately.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

spiderbot posted:

I get the impression rye whiskey isn't as popular as regular bourbon, it seems to be mostly used in cocktails or mixed drinks. Is that because it tends to be lower quality, or does it just taste bad on its own? I'm interested in trying some (pretty much purely a scotch man at the moment) anyone got recommendations for a decent brand I can get in the UK?

Just the opposite. Rye whiskey is currently the hot spirit in the US and a lot of distillers are scrambling to boost up stocks of rye whiskey. Other distilleries which haven't ever done rye before are getting into it, like Jack Daniels, George Dickel. We're also seeing a lot of new brands from the big boys, like Knob Creek Rye. Rye whiskey is a hot and spicy liquor which lends it self to cocktails like the Manhattan, the Old Fashioned and many others. On its own many rye whiskies are just as distinctive and enjoyable as bourbons.

I don't know what's commonly available in the UK but some reasonably priced safe bets are:

Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof
Old Overholt
Bulliet Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye (this one is the baby brother of the absolutely phenomenal Whistlepig Rye)

I like rye. A lot.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So my roomates' brother showed up this evening for video games, and he brought a gift he got from a customer (He runs his own home reno company). That gift was a bottle of Four Roses single batch. He didn't like it neat, and he, the idiot, mixed it with coke and didn't like it. So I offered to give him $10 for it, half as a joke. He said sure. So now, I got three bottles of pretty decent bourbon. I am beyond happy right now.

EDIT: I mean small batch, not single batch.

You stole it for sure. 4R single barrell is delish.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

spiderbot posted:

NightConqueror is correct, Rye is on the upswing. A few other good Rye's are Redemption Hi Rye and Sazerac to go along with NightConqueror's suggestions.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
My current liquor shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

NightConqueror posted:

I don't know what's commonly available in the UK but some reasonably priced safe bets are:

Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof
Old Overholt
Bulliet Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye (this one is the baby brother of the absolutely phenomenal Whistlepig Rye)

I like rye. A lot.

Seconding this, and reiterating that the Thomas H Handy is amazing.