Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you're recruiting in the IE, you always try to do it in the winter for this reason.

My interview was in the summer (June and September), so I knew better (and yet, here I am).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

StandardVC10 posted:

Actually I was at March Field Air Museum (I am a nerd, you see) two weeks ago and it was just lovely.

I've been to this museum in July and in November and let me tell you that if you have the choice, you want to visit in November.

Was born on March Air Force Base :c00l: Thankfully my parents had the presence of mind to leave SoCal in my youth.

On Nor/So Cal, I always hear about the myth of "Central California"; a friend of mine contends that here, in Sacramento, we actually live in Central California, which is a crock. If you want to have a 'Central California,' you have to lump in everything from Kern to Calaveras.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Business Insider has a hard hitting story on California:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/california-sayings-2013-12

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

What has buzzfeed done to us all?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Illuminado posted:

Was born on March Air Force Base :c00l: Thankfully my parents had the presence of mind to leave SoCal in my youth.

On Nor/So Cal, I always hear about the myth of "Central California"; a friend of mine contends that here, in Sacramento, we actually live in Central California, which is a crock. If you want to have a 'Central California,' you have to lump in everything from Kern to Calaveras.

It's more that Southern Oregon is technically a part of California and keeps demanding we separate it from the rest of NorCal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Illuminado posted:

Central California refers to the Central Valley, which is definitely a distinct cultural/economic region.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

FRINGE posted:

Being from Northern California most of these come off as SoCal-specific, with the exception of "hella" (which people don't use often around here, but is really distinctive), and no one around here refers to freeways with "the."

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Illuminado posted:

Just don't include the Central Coast, because that is a distinct area and nothing like the Central Valley.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Until the weekends in summer months, when the entire Central Valley comes out and hangs out at the Central Coast beaches.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's more that Southern Oregon is technically a part of California and keeps demanding we separate it from the rest of NorCal.

I would much rather say Southern Oregon/far North California is the southern most province of Cascadia. That said, Oregon could probably be broken up a dozen different ways.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I'm not sure if foodchat is ok still, but this state has the best burger chains in the world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

sba posted:

I'm not sure if foodchat is ok still, but this state has the best burger chains in the world.

Yes we have five guys all around the area now, which is amazing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Yes we have five guys all around the area now, which is amazing.

They have awesome fries, but their burgers are overcooked and overpriced. Fatburger is the best non sit down chain burger I've found. Fuddruckers is the best chain sit down burger.

Why, yes I am a burger :spergin:.

E: VVV Fatburger is legit as gently caress. :respek:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Fat is what prompted my post, had it for the first time today. But yeah, with Fat, In-n-out, 5 guys, smashburger, there's just so many awesome burger places in the state.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I refuse to give any special accolades to burgers that cost 8 bucks or more or require you to wait half an hour.

The miracle of In N Out is that it costs like McDonalds or Burger King and is ready fast, but still is delicious.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

The circle of foodchat is complete.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

nm posted:

I suspect both sides would fight over not having Bakersfield.
Fresno gets you Yosemite, which is a fair trade. Bakersfield gets you very little (though apparently they just found shale oil).

Bakersfield gets you an absolute poo poo ton of oil and agriculture wealth. The problem is that all of it belongs to about 12 people, so the rest of the inhabitants look like Bartertown.

The SoCal-NorCal dividing line does not run East-West; it runs Northeast to Southwest, so something like Fresno to SLO, or Madera to the south end of Big Sur at probably like Cambria or San Simeon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be honest, I think everything south of Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara is its own cultural zone that has a distinct feel from either the Bay Area or Southern California.

That said, it is a feel that very different than the Central Valley. Really, California isn't 2 states, it is like 6 or 7 of them.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

To be honest, I think everything south of Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara is its own cultural zone that has a distinct feel from either the Bay Area or Southern California.

That said, it is a feel that very different than the Central Valley. Really, California isn't 2 states, it is like 6 or 7 of them.

As someone who goes to San Luis Obispo frequently, I can attest that SoCal doesn't REALLY feel like SoCal until you've hit Santa Barbara, when the lingo and overall attitude becomes more what you would expect.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And lane changes stop being signaled.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Ardennes posted:

So if we were to draw up this map, what would it look like?

Southern Oregon
North Coast
Sacramento Valley
Sierra Nevada
The Bay Area
LA & Friends
Riverside-Ber'dino

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Really, California isn't 2 states, it is like 6 or 7 of them.
Well yeah, youre not going to get unity between 35mill+ people scattered in different climates and economies.

Pretty sure everyone agrees on: WEEEEEEST SIDE! and gently caress TEXAS! though. :v:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Illuminado posted:

So if we were to draw up this map, what would it look like?

Southern Oregon
North Coast
Sacramento Valley
Sierra Nevada
The Bay Area
LA & Friends
Riverside-Ber'dino

That seems pretty good but between Monterrey (maybe just south of Santa Cruz?) to Santa Ynez there should be another "Central Coastal" region that extends from the coast to the edge of the Central Valley. It would be one of the smallest regions in size and population but I think there is indeed a far argument it exists simply because it is definitely distinct from SF, the Central Valley and Southern California.

I do think that the urban areas of San Bernardino/Riverside probably should be with LA while the Mojave in general is its own thing.

So yeah 8 arguably distinctive regions, some maybe not populous as states but very much distinctive culturally. You could probably lump real Southern Oregon, the North Coast and "Southern Oregon" together as one thing. From there the Northwest is its own patchwork of regions that are vastly different. Portland(ia) couldn't be more different climate wise and culturally from Eastern Oregon.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

Pretty sure everyone agrees on: WEEEEEEST SIDE! and gently caress TEXAS! though. :v:

To be fair, only one state in the union doesn't agree with that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

They have awesome fries, but their burgers are overcooked and overpriced. Fatburger is the best non sit down chain burger I've found. Fuddruckers is the best chain sit down burger.

Why, yes I am a burger :spergin:.

E: VVV Fatburger is legit as gently caress. :respek:

I'm up by concord today and I was all excited to go to e-40's fatburger franchise only to learn it closed down...? Website has listings for San Jose and Livermore but I don't think they're open yet.

So... Hungry...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
However the map shakes out is fine, as long as SLO doesn't have to share a region with Santa Maria. And as long as the State of Jefferson gets the recognition it deserves (none). :patriot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm up by concord today and I was all excited to go to e-40's fatburger franchise only to learn it closed down...? Website has listings for San Jose and Livermore but I don't think they're open yet.

So... Hungry...

I live in Concord, moved here almost four years ago. The one thing I've yet to find is a really good burger.

There's a huge variety of excellent sushi restaurants, though. If you tell me what part of town you're in, I can direct you to a fine japanese eatery.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I might also suggest that even though San Diego is coastal, it really seems almost like a coastal extension of the Inland Empire sometimes. Heavy military presence, very conservative, and very dry once you are more than half a mile from the beach.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I live in Concord, moved here almost four years ago. The one thing I've yet to find is a really good burger.

There's a huge variety of excellent sushi restaurants, though. If you tell me what part of town you're in, I can direct you to a fine japanese eatery.

Near treat and Clayton.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Tell me more about SLO vs Santa Maria regionalism. (I'm serious, I love this stuff)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

Tell me more about SLO vs Santa Maria regionalism. (I'm serious, I love this stuff)
SLO is a built up suburb of SB. Once The Great Burbing finishes they will be joined before The Great Southern Megalopolis of The Angels is complete.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Santa Maria is the suburb of SB. SLO is a sleeper community of itself. Santa Maria is a sprawling pile of garbage. SLO has an actual downtown with shops and stuff. People from Santa Maria come up and steal bikes when Cal Poly is out on break. Santa Maria doesn't even have an Amtrak stop!

My attitude toward Santa Maria is helped by having grown up in Santa Barbara.

Edit: The Santa Maria River has two modes: dry and washing away trailers. The creeks in SLO have real-life water and fish in them and look nice.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Any time you're in SLO County and there's one or more mountain ranges between you and the ocean, you could call that Central Valley. As soon as you get that dry air, the redneck level skyrockets. Good steak, though. Also the Firestone-Walker Brewery is up in Paso, so that's something.

I'm willing to keep Paso and Atascadero in the Central Coast region, if it would somehow spite Bakersfield.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Where do the towns north of slo on 101 fit in? Atascadero and paso Robles seemed pretty redneck to me. Do they belong to the valley?
I cant remember where I call the mental cut-off now, but theres a point going up the 101 where its suddenly "alright Im in the prison towns now" and its creepy. Gonzales, Soledad, then up to Salinas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Near treat and Clayton.

Hmm. Out in the boonies, really.

There is a place right by you called Minamoto, but I haven't tried that one. If you don't have a car, that's your only reasonable walking-distance shot.

If you have a car, you can head downtown to the todos santos plaza area, and check out Happy Roll. It is usually crowded and I have not been disappointed there. Alternatively, go down monument to Sushi Momoyama, which is better, but in a seedier neighborhood and parking there on friday night can be a challenge. It's also small so I'd call ahead and see if they can seat you in a reasonable amount of time.

Or you can head over to Sushi Raku, off Market near 242. It's next door to a cool game store. There's plenty of parking (Fry's has their parking lot there) and it will be less noisy/crowded than Happy Roll or Momoyama. I think their food is pretty good, and I really like their service.

Much closer to you on Clayton is My Sushi but that's another one I haven't tried. It has decent reviews though.

The other direction on treat out to ygnacio there's a big shopping area and there's a sushi place called Tachi, but I haven't tried it either and its ratings aren't as good.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CPColin posted:

Good steak, though.

I stop at mclintocks in slo or pismo every time I drive to LA.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Paso Robles has the nicest wine country in California.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

There is only one "The Valley" and anyone named "Ron Jeremy" should know this. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Paso Robles/Templeton/Atascadero/Morro Bay/Pismo are kinda redneck but are also pretty nice resort towns with vineyards/fancy food/nice hotels/fresh seafood/beaches to enjoy for people who live in Bakersfield and Fresno.

• Locked thread