Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Was there a single thing that came out of the "Xavier isn't fundamentally a decent person that just wants mutants and non-mutants to live in harmony rather than trying to obliterate each other but rather a total rear end in a top hat" push that wasn't just kind of pathetic and forgettable? I can not for the life of me think of a single positive change that came out of it.

Not for Xavier or anyone related to him, but it kinda feels that there was some sort of balance where the more unsympathetic they made Xavier, the more sympathetic they got to make Magneto, and I've been enjoying having him over on the good guy side. So, I mean, there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Was there a single thing that came out of the "Xavier isn't fundamentally a decent person that just wants mutants and non-mutants to live in harmony rather than trying to obliterate each other but rather a total rear end in a top hat" push that wasn't just kind of pathetic and forgettable? I can not for the life of me think of a single positive change that came out of it.

Danger's pretty cool

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nobby posted:

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

I've never read it, but now I really wanna know what was so bad about it and this character.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

XboxPants posted:

Not for Xavier or anyone related to him, but it kinda feels that there was some sort of balance where the more unsympathetic they made Xavier, the more sympathetic they got to make Magneto, and I've been enjoying having him over on the good guy side. So, I mean, there's that.

No, there isn't. Chris Claremont had done that before the 90's got in the way, and he very much didn't need to rub feces all over Xavier to get there.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Nobby posted:

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

It's so weird that he ended up in the last movie. Fox has a weird penchant for including D-list x-men in the films. Quill, Angel Salvatore, Darwin, etc.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't remember hating yxm, maybe because I like Rockslide, but I'm not about to go back and reread it to confirm.

At the same time I'd like to go on the record that I loving hate Danger. Even Peter David can't change that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Boogaleeboo posted:

People argue that it was necessary for Cyclops to be the leader of prominence in the X-Men, but I felt like Morrison pretty much already established that.

I really hope someone comes along and just is like "Yeah, Vulcan. . . Shi'Ar plot. We implanted false memories into the body we made for Xavier, we killed those students or something. Whatever."

You'd have to figure out someway to implicate Darwin too, but no one else alive had any memory of the first X-men team and handwaving it away would be easy enough (especially since it's already ignored)

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 2, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Or how about they just ignore it like they have been the last few years?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After this weeks Rachel and Miles, I now know that Professer X mind raped both Moonstar and Kitty. Also the Microverse Jan was in is the same one from Micronauts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WickedHate posted:

I've never read it, but now I really wanna know what was so bad about it and this character.

So Ink's this redneck whose mutant powers are that his tattoos give him the power of whatever it symbolizes (wings let him fly, biohazard symbols let him make people sick, so his powers are to have all the powers he wants) and he's the main focus on the book and has no redeeming or interesting qualities at all. Also in an obvious mirror of Cannonball's origin he's working for Donald Pierce to lure the team into a trap, but is also pretty much directly responsible for getting a member killed. Only one character seems to have a problem with this and the book presents him as being unreasonable about it.

Anyway it turns out trailer trash isn't actually a mutant, his tattoo artist is and they fight an army of dudes with tattoo powers for three issues that feel like forever.

And the book ends with Ink using a PHOENIX TATTOO to CHANNEL THE PHOENIX FORCE so he can deus ex machina away a plot point so goddamn dumb and repulsive I'm not even going to say what it was because gently caress young x-men

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No, you must say it. You must let everyone know what that guy wrote so he will be shamed forever for it.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Dust doesn't deserve your guilt. Say it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually really like Dust as a character but I can't think of a single memorable story she's been an important part of. I think the best use of her was the underground Genosha spy in the Wolverine and the X-Men TV show.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Man, did Marvel pick the right time to release a comic about how hosed up you'd have to be to think doing various dirty black ops around the world and torturing people in the process, giving up on who you and your principles are, all in the name of your people, is a good idea or what? (X-Force #13, it's pretty good)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spider-Man and the X-Men feels like the first Vol of Wolverine and the X-Men nice light and fun. Almost like Marvel Adventures Spidey, also what was up with the artist drawing Storm like she had diahrea face almost the whole time? Is she still inverted in this story?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt it was really indicative of Kalan's humor style which i really like.

I like Beasts "if youre so smart why were you never given an infinity gem?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Jiro posted:

Spider-Man and the X-Men feels like the first Vol of Wolverine and the X-Men nice light and fun. Almost like Marvel Adventures Spidey, also what was up with the artist drawing Storm like she had diahrea face almost the whole time? Is she still inverted in this story?

I think inverted Storm would just lightning blast him. Everyone all over campus was SUPER dick to spidey, it was starting to get weird.

radlum
May 13, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I felt it was really indicative of Kalan's humor style which i really like.

I like Beasts "if youre so smart why were you never given an infinity gem?"

I read all of Spider-Man's dialogue in Elliot's voice; it fits surprisingly well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I think inverted Storm would just lightning blast him. Everyone all over campus was SUPER dick to spidey, it was starting to get weird.

Right?? It wasn't just me then. Even freaking Rockslide who's whole aim was to be a badass super hero tries to kinda kill him. Shouldn't Rockslide be a giant Spiderman fan boy or something? Also Sauron and Dinosaur Man turning Staten Island into a tiny Savage Land Hell Hole and no one notices. :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's honestly a miracle Rockslide even knows who Spider-Man is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

radlum posted:

I read all of Spider-Man's dialogue in Elliot's voice; it fits surprisingly well.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I think the reason all the Xmen are acting like big jerks is they have become so detached lately from the outside world and having an outsider who is not a mutant come in and start teaching feels like intrusion and they're all "no, gently caress that poo poo". But they cannot say no to Wolverines wishes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The writer for the series had an interview with CBR the other day which more or less confirmed that:

Elliott Kalan posted:

Spider-Man's lack of mutanthood is definitely an issue. Like I said earlier, the X-Men are in a place right now where they're less eager to trust an outsider and a non-mutant. Spider-Man doesn't seem to think it's a problem -- he's got powers, they've got powers, what's the diff? But it em a very big diff. His being an Avenger and someone who can easily hide their superhero identity and walk among normal people is a bigger issue than he realizes. At the same time, he's very judgmental about their current, relatively cloistered and mutant-business-focused philosophy. For him, having powers means you help everyone, mutant or not. For them, being a mutant means foremost protecting other mutants in a dangerously anti-mutant world. They're both pretty valid philosophies, and though I don't get too deep ('cause I need to leave lots of room for jokes!), it's that disagreement that drives their conflict.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like Spider-Man pointing out that the JGS kids must be dumb as hell since all they ever do is fight and they never seem to attend any sort of actual class.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I didn't like the downright bizarre "Lol those non-superpowered mutants are on their own in a fight." dynamic flying in out of left field.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Did anyone read that issue where Bendis just masturbates to how awesome his original X-character is and think it was actually good? I mean, really, who is enjoying this garbage?

This shows you how little I care about Bendis' brand new X-characters. I couldn't even tell you what Eva's powers even are.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

notthegoatseguy posted:

Did anyone read that issue where Bendis just masturbates to how awesome his original X-character is and think it was actually good? I mean, really, who is enjoying this garbage?

This shows you how little I care about Bendis' brand new X-characters. I couldn't even tell you what Eva's powers even are.

Eva's the only one I actually remember and sort of liked. But I also haven't kept up with those books in over a year because they were otherwise pretty bad. What happened with Eva?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought the Uncanny Annual was delightful. Haven't cared much for Uncanny (I read my friends copies occasionally), but bought the annual on a lark , and thought it was good fun. Some fun stuff with Killraven and the Rawhide Kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Magik got to do something other than just Scott's taxi.

Though I am annoyed how every character who travels into the future and meets someone is always "wow that was Bob Smith? THE BOB SMITH". Everyone is something special.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I enjoyed that someone remember the X-men 2099 existed. When was the last time we say those guys?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dunno but they did forget 2099 already had a sorcerer supreme.

Also I miss the annuals that got me up to date instead of telling a side story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Also I miss the annuals that got me up to date instead of telling a side story.

When did annuals do that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Candle posted:

When did annuals do that?

In the early days of Marvel, annuals would have 1 original story and a couple reprints, but they never really did that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Skwirl posted:

In the early days of Marvel, annuals would have 1 original story and a couple reprints, but they never really did that.

I remember those side stories basically being thinly veiled yearly catch ups. Nightcrawler goes to the grocery store and runs into everyone new and they talk about what's happened recently and if they need milk. Maybe it was a symptom of the narration box overload of the old days.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Are you sure you were just not reading X-men Classics?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Dunno it's a vague apparently nevertime of my youth where Annuals were exposition dumps of thought bubbles and editor's notes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maybe you were just dreaming of a better world where the annual isn't just Bendis wanking off for a bunch of pages.

I mean I didn't mind it but it was definitely a zero effort story. Also was Bendis always this obsessed with time travel? It seems like it is coming up more and more in Marvel, after AoU, not less.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SirDan3k posted:

You can probably assume it's not strictly the X-Men 2099 who had their own book, since Serpentina was alive. Unless they got her back at some point towards the end of that series and I didn't see it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm mildly irritated by the annual being split across two books, but other than that it was ... okay? Illyana being Sorcerer Supreme is pretty cool. I know it won't happen in main continuity, but it's fun to think about at least. :allears: (She also got totally chumped out of nowhere in true Sorcerer Supreme fashion just to prove poo poo Got Real or something, so hey! Continui ... ty?) And it did make me want to revisit Bendis' Uncanny, which was probably part of the intention there. I'd dropped off that book but I do sort of like the current crop of kids. Even if they're all gonna end up dying or falling to the wayside as soon as Bendis leaves the X-books.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick question: Why the hell is X-23 on the New X-Men? Aside from Bendis apparently likes her. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it means she didn't get dragged into Avengers Undercover, but she has literally no connection to the O5 whatsoever. Hell, did they ever explain why she was wandering around alone instead of hanging out with one of her X-men friends (all of whom were on Team Logan, as I recall)? poo poo, she promised to try and kill Emma Frost if they ever met again in Avengers Academy, you'd think that would have come up.

Also what the the hell, she's set up to start dating cyclops, but then shortly after he fucks off to space, she shacks up with Angel? That's moving rather quickly, isn't it? Bendis could have just created a new character to serve as a love interest-or just used that girl who had a crush on adult Cyclops and used her powers to apparently age herself up (because it wasn't creepy when Arisia did it in Green Lantern, not at all) instead.

If you're going to drag her back into the X-Books, at least try and pick one that makes a bit more sense. I mean for god's sake, Yost is back on an X-Men book, maybe let him have another go at the character?

I miss Liu's run on Astonishing, since she was apparently planning on bringing Laura in on that and she really got the character. But it seems nobody read it. :smith:

Actually what is Liu up to these days?

Spiderdrake posted:

Maybe you were just dreaming of a better world where the annual isn't just Bendis wanking off for a bunch of pages.

I mean I didn't mind it but it was definitely a zero effort story. Also was Bendis always this obsessed with time travel? It seems like it is coming up more and more in Marvel, after AoU, not less.
Which only makes Age of Ultron that much more redundant, since he couldn't even keep to his own arbitrary consequences of that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Quick question: Why the hell is X-23 on the New X-Men? Aside from Bendis apparently likes her. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it means she didn't get dragged into Avengers Undercover, but she has literally no connection to the O5 whatsoever. Hell, did they ever explain why she was wandering around alone instead of hanging out with one of her X-men friends (all of whom were on Team Logan, as I recall)? poo poo, she promised to try and kill Emma Frost if they ever met again in Avengers Academy, you'd think that would have come up.

Also what the the hell, she's set up to start dating cyclops, but then shortly after he fucks off to space, she shacks up with Angel? That's moving rather quickly, isn't it? Bendis could have just created a new character to serve as a love interest-or just used that girl who had a crush on adult Cyclops and used her powers to apparently age herself up (because it wasn't creepy when Arisia did it in Green Lantern, not at all) instead.

She's there because Bendis wanted to write her, and saved her from Avengers Arena as soon as he could. I'm pretty sure his idea was to have her and Scott become a thing as a play on the old Scott/Jean/Logan love triangle, and that's actually a pretty fun idea. But then Marvel had the chance to get Rucka back, and they gave him young Scott since that's what he wanted. So Bendis had to quickly write Scott out to go into space which dropped the love triangle thing, and I think his plan B was X-23 and Angel since neither of them were really doing much. Though I think the point of that relationship is that young Angel has seen what will happen to him and he's scared of losing himself, and Laura has gone through similar things in her life.

• Locked thread