Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Crazyweasel posted:

I tried to read Reddit and boardgamegeek guides but I feel like they skewed to ah, different crowd. If not day drinking in the convention, are there any fun parties or other night events/bars/clubs?

I bring a 32oz Hydroflask with beer during the day to sip on during the convention. Nighttime is a big throw down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Woah, just got this in the mail:

Gen Con Event Cancellations: SEM1688044, SEM1688072, SEM1688053, posted:

Hello,

We regret to inform you that these three seminars have been cancelled, due to the death of the Event Organizer. As these are free seminar tickets, there is no need to return them. Thank you.

Marian
Is this anyone we know?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Woah, just got this in the mail:

Is this anyone we know?

It's the guy who runs Rite Publishing. No one I know personally but dude always ran a lot of GenCon stuff. Looks like he made some 13th Age stuff and a bunch of Pathfinder material

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I leave for Gencon in 12 hours! I have a few days of work around the Southeast before heading to Indi so I packed everything tonight. I couldn't fit Blood Rage, but here's what's in my game bag:

Millennium Blades
Kemet
Arcadia Quest
Steampunk Rally
Keyflower
A Game of Thrones LCG
ONUW + Daybreak
Mottainai
Tiny Epic Galaxies

We have plans to play some of them Wed and Thurs evening, but I'm pretty much available all weekend as well.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You're setting off early dang.

I'll see about bringing Blood Rage, its awesome and I like it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

I leave for Gencon in 12 hours! I have a few days of work around the Southeast before heading to Indi so I packed everything tonight. I couldn't fit Blood Rage, but here's what's in my game bag:

Millennium Blades
Kemet
Arcadia Quest
Steampunk Rally
Keyflower
A Game of Thrones LCG
ONUW + Daybreak
Mottainai
Tiny Epic Galaxies

We have plans to play some of them Wed and Thurs evening, but I'm pretty much available all weekend as well.

I'll be available Thursday after the showroom closes and all the the rest of the weekend. I'd like to try a whole campaign of Arcadia Quest if that's not to daunting and Kemet is the one game on that list I want to try the most.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I'll be available Thursday after the showroom closes and all the the rest of the weekend. I'd like to try a whole campaign of Arcadia Quest if that's not to daunting and Kemet is the one game on that list I want to try the most.

Awesome. I think we have 4 for a campaign now. Kemet will definitely be happening a lot, it's one of my favorites and easy to teach.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Kaddish posted:

First step is get in the GroupMe for gencon. Second step is hook up with myself and various cohorts for night gaming. If we aren't at a bar I'll have a cooler/buckets of beer somewhere like a hotel (JW Marriott)

Done.

Speaking of this - has anybody ever gone to any of those "official" parties that end up on the events list? Stuff like the "legendary drunkass party" (wtf)? My instinct tells me these would be lame as poo poo and not worth the money and it would be better to thrown down with Goons instead.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Necronomicon posted:

Speaking of this - has anybody ever gone to any of those "official" parties that end up on the events list? Stuff like the "legendary drunkass party" (wtf)? My instinct tells me these would be lame as poo poo and not worth the money and it would be better to thrown down with Goons instead.

I've never been to any of them, but drinking with Goons doesn't require an event ticket and therefore cheaper.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Awesome. I think we have 4 for a campaign now. Kemet will definitely be happening a lot, it's one of my favorites and easy to teach.

It's me and a friend, hopefully that doesn't put us over 4.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If so I'll do 2 :)

I also have all but 2 of the promo characters, which will be fun to hunt down this year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Necronomicon posted:

Throwing down with goons is always a good option, although I will point out the Cosplay Deviant parties are goon-run.

The Convention Center may have rules against alcohol (which are probably breakable with flasks in backpacks if so inclined), but I assure you the hotels where many of the official and unofficial events happen are happy to sell you alcohol no problem. Many of our impromptu games have been in the hotel bars, notably High Velocity in the JW at least last year.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Necronomicon posted:

The "Drunkass Party" is sponsored by a game company called Drunkass Games; they make retail versions of popular drinking games, and they have an event where you can demo them at one of the bars near the convention center. They probably have some swag or something, I'm not sure.

I've heard of something from years ago that I don't think I've ever seen myself where a group hosted Red Dragon Inn, but in place of/addition to your drink cards, you actually got drinks to drink/pass around and they tried to make them look like the ones in the game. That would be something I'd try to get into, but if you just want to play regular games and have booze, you can do that pretty much anywhere outside the ICC itself.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

CellBlock posted:

The "Drunkass Party" is sponsored by a game company called Drunkass Games; they make retail versions of popular drinking games, and they have an event where you can demo them at one of the bars near the convention center. They probably have some swag or something, I'm not sure.

Sounds like fun with friends, and utterly loving cringeworthy with the crowd of loudtalking flameshirt Gen Con dudes who I imagine would show up to this event.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

fordan posted:

Throwing down with goons is always a good option, although I will point out the Cosplay Deviant parties are goon-run.

No poo poo? That's cool - are they worth going to?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Necronomicon posted:

No poo poo? That's cool - are they worth going to?

It has some interesting people watching opportunities. I had fun last year, but it's a new venue and a different DJ this year. I have a ticket to go again this year and I assume I will make it there unless there are goon shenanigans happening elsewhere.

Mudcrab could probably say more about plans for this year's party but I think she's been crazy busy this year since she's not really posting much here or in the GroupMe.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

CellBlock posted:

I've heard of something from years ago that I don't think I've ever seen myself where a group hosted Red Dragon Inn, but in place of/addition to your drink cards, you actually got drinks to drink/pass around and they tried to make them look like the ones in the game. That would be something I'd try to get into, but if you just want to play regular games and have booze, you can do that pretty much anywhere outside the ICC itself.

I bought red dragon inn with the intention of doing just that with my friends, then I moved, and they've sat untouched on a shelf for like 3 years.

Maybe I should bring it out this year...

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Well if you are wanting red dragon inn I will have all of it with me. I am also working for Slugfest this year so you could say I'm a bit obsessed with their games

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I went to the drunk rear end party last year and it was fun as poo poo. Going again this year. The ticket includes a few drinks and dinner at the Ram. Rest of the drinking is on you.

We have a group of 5. Most others there were with groups too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What games do I have to run like a dipshit to grab before they sell out this year?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

What games do I have to run like a dipshit to grab before they sell out this year?

Scythe, Cry Havoc, Last Friday, Seafall.

If anyone is in a position to get a copy of Seafall for me btw, I'd pay you or whatever. I'll be battling nerds to get it but if there's any especially kindhearted booth owners or VIGs kicking around...

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If anyone is in a position to get a copy of Seafall for me btw, I'd pay you or whatever. I'll be battling nerds to get it but if there's any especially kindhearted booth owners or VIGs kicking around...

This is the first I've heard of Last Friday. Knowing nothing about it but the theme, I desperately want it.
edit: If Last Friday really is a game that is going to sell out, if anyone is able to pick one up for me I'd be much obliged.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2016

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Same but for Scythe. I suspect both it and Seafall will either sell out with VIG or in like 60 minutes. Cry Havoc had a gencon pickup preorder option until last week so that should take some of the pressure off.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 31, 2016

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I've decided on the games I'm bringing and quite a few are 2 player for me and my friend but if anyone else wants to try them I don't mind letting goons have a go.

Star Wars: Rebellion
Twilight Struggle
Campaign Manager 2008
Rum and Bones
1st and Goal

Also bringing:
Battlestar Galactica - goon game already in the works
Marvel Legendary or Villains
Roll for the Galaxy
Run, Fight or Die
Sushi Go

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Unless someone makes a last-minute thread with a new and informative OP, I'm stickying this thread again for 2016. Let me know if there's anything I should stick in the OP (assuming Dr. Quarex doesn't/wouldn't mind).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I haven't solidified my list yet, but I think I'll probably be bringing a lot of smaller and lightweight games. Probably not as exciting for people, but I'll be kicking around with Boss Monster + expansions, Sellswords (Triple Triad), Pixel Tactics, and a few others. We'll have some bigger games like Abyss stored at my buddy's place a couple miles away that we could grab for late-night gaming. I'm heading out early Wednesday morning for Indy, so I'll be able to post my full list tonight or tomorrow.

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009
I could've sworn I saw that you can use tickets for events as generics in different events but now I can't find anything about it online. Am I mistaken or something?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ettin posted:

Unless someone makes a last-minute thread with a new and informative OP, I'm stickying this thread again for 2016. Let me know if there's anything I should stick in the OP (assuming Dr. Quarex doesn't/wouldn't mind).

Quarax said we should just use this one for 2016 a few months ago. He has been suspiciously absent much of this year :ohdear:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Link43130 posted:

I could've sworn I saw that you can use tickets for events as generics in different events but now I can't find anything about it online. Am I mistaken or something?

It's down to the GM generally, you 'can' but the GM or event manager can tell you to get stuffed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Games I'm Bringing

BattleCON
Doomtown (just one play deck)
Pixel Tactics
Tragedy Looper

Also if anybody wants a copy of the Goon promo card for Pixel Tactics and will be there, just ask.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Put this in the OP and keep it a loving SECRET outside this thread.
http://www.haveliindiancuisineindy.com/cpsiteframepage.lasso?-token.lpuserref=123580.113129
This place is like 2 blocks from the epicenter of the con and is loving great Indian food.
We passed a piece of poo poo Stake and Shake that had a line 20 deep outside and were seated and eating in Haveli in under 10 minutes.
Course that could be ruined this year. But keep this poo poo under your hat.
I LOVE INDIAN FOOD

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Nice, love Indian.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Indian food, best food.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Someone recommended that place last year and I agree it is pretty good. We went for dinner around 8 and the place was empty. Funny how most con people don't want to venture more than a block outside the convention.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Slandible posted:

Someone recommended that place last year and I agree it is pretty good. We went for dinner around 8 and the place was empty. Funny how most con people don't want to venture more than a block outside the convention.

Welcome to why Loughmiller's has become a bit of a goon hangout spot. Sadly with the growth of the convention people have actually started to show up there besides us. It's still walk in and get seated pretty much the entire time, but now the waitress has other tables to deal with.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Backno posted:

Welcome to why Loughmiller's has become a bit of a goon hangout spot. Sadly with the growth of the convention people have actually started to show up there besides us. It's still walk in and get seated pretty much the entire time, but now the waitress has other tables to deal with.

Loughmiller's being consistently empty always amazes me. It's literally between two hotels in the housing block.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reminder to not walk by Steak & Shake ever because there is literally a sewage leak at that intersection that will make you gag and/or hurl.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Reminder to not walk by Steak & Shake ever because there is literally a sewage leak at that intersection that will make you gag and/or hurl.

Is that STILL there? Is it some kind of historic landmark they just can't fix? Do the locals enjoy the rank, raw sewage stank in front of their cheap burger places?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Junkie Disease posted:

Put this in the OP and keep it a loving SECRET outside this thread.
http://www.haveliindiancuisineindy.com/cpsiteframepage.lasso?-token.lpuserref=123580.113129
This place is like 2 blocks from the epicenter of the con and is loving great Indian food.
We passed a piece of poo poo Stake and Shake that had a line 20 deep outside and were seated and eating in Haveli in under 10 minutes.
Course that could be ruined this year. But keep this poo poo under your hat.
I LOVE INDIAN FOOD

Friend and I wandered out of the convention last year looking for something that wasn't mobbed and ended up here. Highly recommend as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is that STILL there? Is it some kind of historic landmark they just can't fix? Do the locals enjoy the rank, raw sewage stank in front of their cheap burger places?

It's probably just a backup from the con goers filling the sewer with Steak and Shake.

• Locked thread