Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

These conversations are always so strange to me. I live just north of Seattle in a state where the state minimum wage has been tied to inflation for years. Sure, every January there are headlines about "the highest state minimum wage in the nation", but despite all of that, the sky hasn't fallen, unemployment is lower than the national average and we remain a great place to do business. No one ever seems to mention this ongoing experiment when the discussion comes up, especially foes to minimum wage though. It's really strange!

I don't think anyone disagrees that minimum wage should be that high for an area like Seattle, I like minimum wage handled mostly at state and municipal level where it can be set with more granularity, its the idea of more then doubling the federal minimum wage that seems absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

asdf32 posted:

If minimum wage workers barely skew towards poor (true)

This still isn't any more true than the last dozen times you've claimed it. Not going to bother explaining why again gently caress you read my other posts

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Their true justification is they want to take money from greedy corporations and give it to poor people,

You say this like it's (1) a bad thing and (2) something anyone itt has tried to keep secret

Jarmak posted:

its the idea of more then doubling the federal minimum wage that seems absurd

Ah, the gut feel. Minimum wage causes unemployment, the president should be a regular guy you can have a beer with, Saddam has WMD despite what the inspectors say, oh gut feel are there no problems you can't solve?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 15, 2015

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Jarmak posted:

People aren't trying to process multiple pieces of the puzzle because they don't care. Their true justification is they want to take money from greedy corporations and give it to poor people, everything else in this thread is a smoke screen of post facto justification to try to sell that idea to people who don't abide by that ideology.

The stupid thing is minimum wage is maybe the worse possible mechanism for that, and people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact not every employer is Walmart. Small businesses make up about half of all employment and 2/3 of all new jobs (https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/FAQ_Sept_2012.pdf).

Small businesses are 78.5% single owners with no employees. Invoking them is a red herring without having data on the wage quintiles.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jarmak posted:

Their true justification is they want to take money from greedy corporations and give it to poor people [...] The stupid thing is minimum wage is maybe the worse possible mechanism for that
These parts are certainly true, I think everyone has been clear that a minimum wage is only justifiable as being the best thing that has any chance of being passed in the US currently.

quote:

and people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact not every employer is Walmart. Small businesses make up about half of all employment and 2/3 of all new jobs (https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/FAQ_Sept_2012.pdf).
I'm pretty sure you know the definition of small business is garbage, what point do you think you are making here?

quote:

In 2010 there were 27.9 million small businesses, and 18,500 firms with 500 employees or more.
2/3 of all new jobs were created by 99.93% of businesses? That is pretty shocking.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jarmak posted:

People aren't trying to process multiple pieces of the puzzle because they don't care. Their true justification is they want to take money from greedy corporations and give it to poor people, everything else in this thread is a smoke screen of post facto justification to try to sell that idea to people who don't abide by that ideology.

The stupid thing is minimum wage is maybe the worse possible mechanism for that, and people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact not every employer is Walmart. Small businesses make up about half of all employment and 2/3 of all new jobs (https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/FAQ_Sept_2012.pdf).

Right, and an earlier link said that most of the impact would be to "small businesses" with ~100 employees, and current minimum wage laws do not apply to the barely-scraping-by mom and pop. It is almost as if you are trying to intentionally color your argument with emotionally charged language that paints a picture quite different than reality... something you seem to insist is the domain of your sinister opponents.

Edit: Most McDonalds are "small businesses" because they are franchises. Trying to paint them as some underdog in the corporate economy is absurd.

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees that minimum wage should be that high for an area like Seattle, I like minimum wage handled mostly at state and municipal level where it can be set with more granularity, its the idea of more then doubling the federal minimum wage that seems absurd

The living wage doesn't vary that much across the country. If anything, $15/hr is too low for the bigger cities like NYC and LA, but even in rural Appalachia and the Delta, $15/hr is just sufficient to support yourself and another adult, working full-time.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

This still isn't any more true than the last dozen times you've claimed it. Not going to bother explaining why again gently caress you read my other posts

Yes, yes, we get it, you think upper middle class Americans, who are richer than 99.5% of people globally, are poor.

archangelwar posted:

Right, and an earlier link said that most of the impact would be to "small businesses" with ~100 employees, and current minimum wage laws do not apply to the barely-scraping-by mom and pop. It is almost as if you are trying to intentionally color your argument with emotionally charged language that paints a picture quite different than reality... something you seem to insist is the domain of your sinister opponents.

Edit: Most McDonalds are "small businesses" because they are franchises. Trying to paint them as some underdog in the corporate economy is absurd.

The link posted earlier actually said less than 100, not around 100.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304655104579163880944640994

quote:

Roughly half the minimum-wage workforce is employed at businesses with fewer than 100 employees, and 40% are at very small businesses with fewer than 50 employees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

50 employes is still really big.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yes, yes, we get it, you think upper middle class Americans, who are richer than 99.5% of people globally, are poor.

The link posted earlier actually said less than 100, not around 100.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304655104579163880944640994

Yes, I misremembered, thanks for the correction.

50 employees still includes fast food workers, which combined with cashiers (according to BLS) makes up the majority of earners near minimum wage.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One thing that goes pretty much unmentioned is that welfare payments are much more vulnerable than raising the minimum wage, not just to being undone, but also to being hosed with creatively. Elaborate bureaucratic runarounds, payment in coupons rather than in real money, etc. are all things that have been done historically, and we should look at any efforts to say "welfare is better than a higher minimum wage" in that light. This is without mentioning the nasty little fact that Americans still tend to believe that welfare should only ever be temporary.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did you know that libraries and elementary schools in America are more likely to benefit upper-middle class Americans than random poor people in Africa?!

It's true, and therefore their existence is an attack on the global poor. We must abolish them immediately and use the savings to cut taxes on the rich

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

You say this like it's (1) a bad thing and (2) something anyone itt has tried to keep secret

Ah, the gut feel. Minimum wage causes unemployment, the president should be a regular guy you can have a beer with, Saddam has WMD despite what the inspectors say, oh gut feel are there no problems you can't solve?

"I support minimum wage because I want things minimum wage doesn't really do".

You're correct that you haven't kept this a secret at all.

VitalSigns posted:

I just did. The maximum possible price increase between the two situations is 9%, not 100%.

The maximum possible cuts in worker hours are 1-110/120=8%, not 1-10/20=50%

You don't want to compare things like "Percent minimum wage increase to percent price increase" because those things are utterly different. If one is 20 and the other is 2 that tells us nothing without converting both to dollars for analysis.

Jarmak posted:

VitalSigns thinks he is. Which is worse than purposely not trying.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Yes, I misremembered, thanks for the correction.

50 employees still includes fast food workers, which combined with cashiers (according to BLS) makes up the majority of earners near minimum wage.

Reminder that this analysis only comes after subtracting out the portion of minimum wage that was paid for by cost increases. When costs are increased we don't care about the owners, we care about the customers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what are you talking about. Why do you think prices would increase if the minimum wage went up.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, I'm kind of liking VitalSigns' logic. Let's see if we can take it further: the government should pay me $1,000,000 per year because for me it would represent a 3000% increase in my income but funding it would require like a 0.001% increase in taxes, which anyone can afford.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

I said Washington State, not Seattle. As in the whole loving state. Including Seattle, Everett, Tacoma, Roy, Forks, and yes, even the city of George.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You don't want to compare things like "Percent minimum wage increase to percent price increase" because those things are utterly different. If one is 20 and the other is 2 that tells us nothing without converting both to dollars for analysis.

I clearly don't have the pedagogical skills to teach you fractions.

Please print the following exchange and present it to a local middle school math teacher.

asdf32 posted:

VitalSigns posted:

Which statement gives you the information you need to estimate how much the price tag on a Spacely Sprocket might increase next year?
A: Spacely Sprockets projects it will face $10 million in extra costs next year
B: Spacely Sprockets projects its total costs will rise by 10% next year
A and B are the same information buddy. One as a percent the other not.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even if prices went up WHO CARES. Aaaahhh. This thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I don't know, I'm kind of liking VitalSigns' logic. Let's see if we can take it further: the government should pay me $1,000,000 per year because for me it would represent a 3000% increase in my income but funding it would require like a 0.001% increase in taxes, which anyone can afford.

So you are just opposed to all government spending now, or what.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Because this is totally germane to a discussion of minimum wage.

I take back my earlier assessment that having a beer with asdf32 would be anything other than complete torture.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

One is bigger than the other and they're both percents so....

VitalSigns posted:

I clearly don't have the pedagogical skills to teach you fractions.

Please print the following exchange and present it to a local middle school math teacher.

A and B are the same information buddy. One as a percent the other not.
[/quote]

In this case a is the novel information and b is that information referenced against something else.

I say this because the equivalent of A, the dollar cost of minimum wage which increases roughly with the square of the minimum wage increase, is the number you're still trying to distance yourself from. It's the information in question.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hey asdf32 did you ever figure out what exponential meant?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Your ideology conflicts with basic arithmetic, your ideology loses. Sorry asdf32.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Yes, that's true. Most of the minwage advocates, and even a number of the minwage opponents, would be in favor of increasing corporate taxes and instituting a GMI. That would be pretty awesome.

The ideology of the situation has relatively little to do with the facts surrounding minimum wage effects, however. Unless you think "pay poor people enough to live" is an ideology and not just basic human decency

quote:

Not the worse (sp) possible mechanism, no. We all agree that it's pretty bad at transferring wealth from corporations and business owners to poor people, but it does get the job done to some extent. It's politically possible, unlike the better solutions. And we can continue to support their better solutions while also supporting a minimum wage increase, so it's really irrelevant anyway.

You might also want to consult the definition of "small business" used by the SBA. You might be surprised. But it doesn't really loving matter either because I just want to see people paid enough to live on regardless of whether their employer has a staff of 50 or 5000 or 500,000

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

I say this because the equivalent of A, the dollar cost of minimum wage which increases roughly with the square of the minimum wage increase, is the number you're still trying to distance yourself from. It's the information in question.

Which possible economic effects from this quantity worry you?

So far the two you have mentioned, prices and employment hours, do not change in direct proportion to this quantity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Christ. That simplifies to 1+A/B which demonstrates it's just adding a fixed offset. IE it changes the phrase "10% increase" to "110% of the old value". The 10 part doesn't even change.

If you were to then take this offset proportion and compare it to a different offset proportion say like 120/110 that would be different than 20/10. Why would you do this? I have no idea. In either case I would say "the impact has doubled" if we're comparing a policy that increases 20% vs 10%.

I ask that if you take this to another round (please don't) you actually stick to the minimum wage example on hand so we're not talking completely in the abstract.

You monster, haven't you done enough?! Stop misusing these poor math terms, can't you see that they can't take it anymore?!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I have bad news; we already live in that absurd world. We've more than tripled the minimum wage already.

Do you think that a $15 minimum wage wouldn't be phased in gradually?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I also already explained how that was an aggressive misreading of my argument but you're not only disingenuous but also an idiot so maybe you couldn't understand that post either.

One last time. Households making under 40k a year aka over 50% of households with minimum wage workers aren't upper middle class. They are at most middle class. Also you don't reach economic security until around 60k but that's a secondary point. The majority of people who are receiving middle class incomes are in the bottom two quintiles. Additionally you like to pretend that the economic impact on families in each of the households will be identical whereas the increase will naturally be proportionally greater and greater in utility for lower quintile households.

So I'm not just rehashing I should point out that many households in the second lowest quintile actually are likely to have two minimum wage workers and so would doubly benefit from the increase.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

asdf32 posted:

That thing you just quoted says zero about whether it helps the poor. If that person's entire raise came from other poor people then minimum wage is literally doing nothing to help the poor as a demographic. Literally nothing.

I'm not understanding how we're taking money from one poor person and moving it to another, care to explain this logic?

LorrdErnie posted:

I also already explained how that was an aggressive misreading of my argument but you're not only disingenuous but also an idiot so maybe you couldn't understand that post either.

One last time. Households making under 40k a year aka over 50% of households with minimum wage workers aren't upper middle class. They are at most middle class. Also you don't reach economic security until around 60k but that's a secondary point. The majority of people who are receiving middle class incomes are in the bottom two quintiles. Additionally you like to pretend that the economic impact on families in each of the households will be identical whereas the increase will naturally be proportionally greater and greater in utility for lower quintile households.

So I'm not just rehashing I should point out that many households in the second lowest quintile actually are likely to have two minimum wage workers and so would doubly benefit from the increase.

I think they're trying to argue that because 50% of people earning minimum wage aren't "poor" that it somehow negatively impacts the poor for the minimum wage to be increased?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You are seriously astoundingly dumb. Like you keep consistently amazing me with how dumb you are. I have had to create new mental categories of general reasoning capacity in order to deal with the increasingly moronic things you keep posting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

What's important is the percentage increase in prices, not the net increase in prices. The former tells you roughly how much extra money people will have to pay for goods and services, which is an important thing to take into account. The latter is a big and scary-sounding number that doesn't tell you anything of value to this discussion.

If I'm increasing the price of goods that I sell by $100, the importance of that value is going to depend on the initial price. That's a huge price increase if I was selling $1 candy bars. That's an insignificant price increase if I was selling $10 million jet fighters. This is why the percentage increase is more useful than the net increase, wouldn't you agree?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

I think they're trying to argue that because 50% of people earning minimum wage aren't "poor" that it somehow negatively impacts the poor for the minimum wage to be increased?

Oh yeah I explained why that was dumb in an earlier reply but he just kept going on about global incomes and ignored that bit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not understanding how we're taking money from one poor person and moving it to another, care to explain this logic?

You just need to start from the following assumptions about the world
  • $1 in extra labor costs requires businesses to earn $1 in extra revenue, because tax rates are zero
  • Eating part of the cost increase to keep sales up is never more profitable than passing on the full increases to consumers, because prices have no relationship to demand
  • Domestic labor costs account for 100% of all prices
  • Poor people make 100% of the purchases in the economy
  • No unemployed people are financially dependent on someone making minimum wage

Therefore, we see that every last cent of wage increases is paid for by other poor people and it is simply a transfer from the very poor to the poor, QED.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

spoon0042 posted:

I too am concerned that minimum wage workers are already making too much money.

If that's the case you should support a 15 dollar minimum wage, because then most those people will be handing over their job to c3p0.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tsa posted:

If that's the case you should support a 15 dollar minimum wage, because then most those people will be handing over their job to c3p0.

That's going to happen no matter what the minimum wage is. It might happen sooner with a minimum wage increase. It might happen letter if we decrease the minimum wage.

Since you're concerned about automation taking away jobs, would you support a minimum wage decrease in order to further offset this effect? If not, why not?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tsa posted:

I hate to tell you this, but profitably automating a job at $15/hr is the hard part.

With the costs of computer power falling year by year, and the ability to ramp up economies of scale, if you're automating jobs at $15 it's not going to take a generation for the price to come down to $7. If your strategy when automation comes to your job is "it's okay, I'll just keep underbidding the robots, as long as Barack Obummer lets me :freep:" you're hosed I'm sorry to say.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 15, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

archangelwar posted:

Mcdonalds would have completely automated systems rolling out almost immediately if 15 / hr looked imminent, as would most other fast food corporations. Actually they've already started, more than likely you'll only be ordering off a screen within a couple years and that's just the beginning.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

I hate to tell you this, but profitably automating a job at $15/hr is the hard part.

With the costs of computer power falling year by year, and the ability to ramp up economies of scale, if you're automating jobs at $15 it's not going to take a generation for the price to come down to $7. If your strategy when automation comes to your job is "it's okay, I'll just keep underbidding the robots, as long as Barack Obummer lets me :freep:" you're hosed I'm sorry to say.

Exactly, minimum wage is utterly stupid and a dead end. GMI is promising, but there's probably other options out there.

e: like you basically restated my original argument that automation makes the minimum wage a relic, a sinking ship. Unions have died for the same reason- they pretend it's still the 20's and that the nature of work hasn't radically changed since the industrial revolution.

tsa fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tsa posted:

Exactly, minimum wage is utterly stupid and a dead end.
Right, there will be no long-term advantage with regard to creeping automation regardless of whether we raise the minimum wage or not so that's no argument against it.

tsa posted:

GMI is promising, but there's probably other options out there.

Right, vote Democrat in the general, and vote for candidates who support better policies in the primaries.

• Locked thread