Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

I enjoy River being described as “espionage nepo baby”.
did they actually use that phrase in the show? there was something someone said where it seemed like too recent slang to have presumably appeared in the books whenever they were written, but I can't remember if it was that

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They said a lot about him being where he was because of his dad in the first season but I don’t think the term “nepo baby” had become popular yet.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"Espionage nepo baby" is a term used in the article about the season 5 renewal I linked.

Apparently, Gary Oldman is up for doing all eight Slow Horses novels if Apple springs for it, according to the "Happy Sad Confused" podcast. (Haven't fully listened to it, but he supposedly says so sometime during it).

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 2, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mcbexx posted:

I remember reading that Gary Oldman wanted to retire from acting after Slow Horses ended after four seasons, seems they won't let him.

Maybe he's having fun

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Maybe he's having fun

He just has to sweat, drink and bust rear end on command. What an awesome gig.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s also one period of shooting to get 2 series worth of exposure. Reminds me of when Bruce Forsyth used to say of doing both The Price Is Right and Play Your Cards Right in the UK that he did 2 weeks of work and was on national TV for half the year.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mcbexx posted:

"Espionage nepo baby" is a term used in the article about the season 5 renewal I linked.

Apparently, Gary Oldman is up for doing all eight Slow Horses novels if Apple springs for it, according to the "Happy Sad Confused" podcast. (Haven't fully listened to it, but he supposedly says so sometime during it).
To briefly summarise, he wanted to do a TV show where he gets to develop a character over a long period of time but also didn't want too much hassle, so he asked his manager "find a show thats well-written, where I use my own accent, there's no prosthetics, minimal costume changes and its sort of spy/espionage themed" and yeah, what a match made in heaven.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think he stains his own clothes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

From here: https://bsky.app/profile/jam-etc.bsky.social/post/3ki2g57d6ce2b

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gorn Myson posted:

To briefly summarise, he wanted to do a TV show where he gets to develop a character over a long period of time but also didn't want too much hassle, so he asked his manager "find a show thats well-written, where I use my own accent, there's no prosthetics, minimal costume changes and its sort of spy/espionage themed" and yeah, what a match made in heaven.

Goddamn, give his agent a raise!

Peak male performance :hai:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

Jerusalem posted:

Fun fact: Gary Oldman's agent is the guy who played Larry Summers in The Social Network.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

no prosthetics

Huh, I assumed he was wearing something to look like that.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

With the most recent episode of Monarch, I knew there was something familiar about blue underground portals taking modern-day people to a pre-historic type land filled with dangers......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmcx0PWPYj0

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kloaked00 posted:

With the most recent episode of Monarch, I knew there was something familiar about blue underground portals taking modern-day people to a pre-historic type land filled with dangers......

The episode before when May fell down the hole I was briefly ecstatic that they had finally killed off one of these unlikeable fucks until I realized they'd be going to monster land next episode.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Kloaked00 posted:

Yeah, La Brea did it recently too.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Slow Horses season 1 was fun but season 2 is no bueno. its just a regular boring spy show now?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You should probably watch series 3.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

njsykora posted:

You should probably watch series 3.

:hmmyes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mistermojo posted:

Slow Horses season 1 was fun but season 2 is no bueno. its just a regular boring spy show now?

I agree. Cold War "those were the days" international intrguige plots just do nothing for me on their own. Season 3 is much better though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In season 2 you can kind of forget that the slow horses are a bunch of real fuckups.

In season 3 you really really can’t.

E: Still crack up thinking about Big Rod’s Party Bus crashing through the porch

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

"Did I get any?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

In season 2 you can kind of forget that the slow horses are a bunch of real fuckups.

In season 3 you really really can’t.

Just an amazing moment after all that buildup :allears:

Also in season 3, I find myself both appalled and delighted by Webb telling River,"You're special and we both know it" in order to get him to do what he wanted... and it loving worked! His whole plan, and unknown to him also Taverner's larger plot, all hinged on the fact that River hasn't yet figured out he's not the temporarily embarrassed hero of a spy novel :xd:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm just bummed we never saw the fallout for the Home Secretary and just learned that he was shitcanned/replaced. I feel we deserved a front row seat to his downfall, popcorn and all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My sister-in-law recommended Bad Sisters to me and it's rip-roaring fun 2 eps in. Also a pretty horrifyingly wide-eyed look at how awful people can be, and the mechanism by which they are awful

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

My sister-in-law recommended Bad Sisters to me and it's rip-roaring fun 2 eps in. Also a pretty horrifyingly wide-eyed look at how awful people can be, and the mechanism by which they are awful

It's a great concept and has a really strong payoff, but by about two thirds in I felt it was becoming very hamstrung by the way it structured the season. It was stuck in second gear pretty much the entire time.

Looking forward to what they do in the second season though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Congrats to the Monarch writers on finally hitting the point where I am yelling at the screen because of how stupid they had to make one of the characters in order for something stupid to happen. No idea why Lee needed to die/disappear, but they certainly ruined their big monster fight by turning Lee into a giant dipshit where he just stands around instead of getting in the loving capsule. Maybe the monster fight was cool, idk, i was too busy shouting "stop standing there and get in the loving capsule."

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Looking forward to what they do in the second season though.

Had to look it up, they are actually doing a second season? I thought the one they did pretty much resolved all the story beats and character arcs quite nicely. Everything is wrapped up with a big bow.
I don't immediately see any venue to continue telling the story in a meaningful way that would not feel forced or eye-rollingly construed.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the show and would like to see more of the characters... but... how?

Someone with knowledge (who we haven't met) snitches and the police looks into the matter?
The insurance brothers have a change of heart and keep pestering?
One of the other spouses suddenly turns out to be a huge rear end in a top hat and needs to be disposed of?
Claes Bang returns as the even more evil twin brother?

I'm sure they'll come up with something better, though.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
In Sharon We Trust.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me of Patrick Stewart talking about the role of Professor X. His agent put a copy of the comic book in front of him with X on the cover, and Stewart said "Why am I on the comic book?". His agent replied "Exactly".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Found this SAG-AFTRA interview with Gary Oldman about Slow Horses , he repeats that quote about spy/his own accent/own clothes/no prosthetics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3TH9ZKpQOI

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 15, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watched the first episode of Criminal Record, a show about a potential wrongful conviction and the possibility that the now DCI who lead the case - Peter Capaldi - and his team may have pushed it through on racial grounds. Cush Jumbo is the other lead, I don't think I've ever seen her in anything before (she was in The Good Wife apparently?) but she's pretty good. I don't know if it's gonna be anything groundbreaking or blowaway, but it's well-made and Capaldi is always a treat.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cojawfee posted:

Congrats to the Monarch writers on finally hitting the point where I am yelling at the screen because of how stupid they had to make one of the characters in order for something stupid to happen. No idea why Lee needed to die/disappear, but they certainly ruined their big monster fight by turning Lee into a giant dipshit where he just stands around instead of getting in the loving capsule. Maybe the monster fight was cool, idk, i was too busy shouting "stop standing there and get in the loving capsule."

I was more annoyed still wondering how Lee made it out last time without his ship

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

I was more annoyed still wondering how Lee made it out last time without his ship

I imagine you’re going to find out exactly how next season considering the ship is no longer there.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Godzilla just carried him in his mouth

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

Godzilla just carried him in his mouth

Gonna pop out of the rift riding Godzilla like the dude in Dr. Strangelove riding the bomb yeehaw

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

latinotwink1997 posted:

probably not necessary, just safer and keeps them together. The trip in the finale seemed a lot kinder to them than it didfor Lee's trip home. Dude stumbled ten feet then passed out for a few days. I'm more curious how the grandma got the lure to her campsite if it takes 4 people to carry it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The big PR push on Masters of the Air seems like it's about to start

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ch-show-of-2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

and got Cary Joji Fukunaga back where he belongs, which is directing all-timer episodes of TV.

He's a killer director but ooft.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More of a harasser director tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

The big PR push on Masters of the Air seems like it's about to start

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ch-show-of-2024

I'm excited if only because I've waited 12 years for this show. Nothing can top Band of Brothers though.