Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol at anyone who unironically talks about green text vs blue text bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol at anyone who unironically talks about green text vs blue text bullshit

While I agree, it's definitely a thing that some people genuinely care about.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

look. for one minute, pretend you don't post on a niche hyper enthusiast internet forum, that you don't work in information technology, you don't know what RAM means or does.

you go to work, you go grocery shopping, you go home and watch tv and scroll on instagram.

you record something funny you see on tv with your phone, the same phone everyone you know has, and you go to send it to the one person you know who has a different phone. they tell you the quality is bad and they can't make out what's in the video. they ask you to download a different app to send it, you don't want to, or the app store asks for your password to download it and you can't remember your password and you dont really use email for anything except work or coupons or whatever and now you have to do all these steps just to interact with this person in a different way. why is their phone like this? why don't they just have what everyone else has?

fyi that is MOST people. that's why "green text bad" is anything anyone ever says or cares about.

it's unfortunate most people aren't tech savvy enough to not care or to get around it. and i know i'm generalizing and that there's a healthy population of people who know what they're doing, but the majority of people are how i described. apple capitalizes on that and wants it that way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
>green text bad

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, apple very much wants it's user base to think "green bubble bad" and it's worked pretty drat well

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ShoogaSlim posted:

fyi that is MOST people. that's why "green text bad" is anything anyone ever says or cares about.

You're assuming America is the whole world again, I know you've just had the world final of football but please try not to

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's not MOST people. Most people have WhatsApp or telegram or signal installed.

Unless you are talking about most US Americans, not most people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
poo poo, my whole family is on Android, but my mom is not tech savvy and loves taking video instead of photos, so she'll film like three minutes of something and then text me and it looks fine on her end and doesn't get why I just see a handful of pixels on my end.

Or she'll get something via WhatsApp and forward it to me via SMS (I'm on WhatsApp, too!) and same thing.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

look. for one minute, pretend you don't post on a niche hyper enthusiast internet forum, that you don't work in information technology, you don't know what RAM means or does.

you go to work, you go grocery shopping, you go home and watch tv and scroll on instagram.

you record something funny you see on tv with your phone, the same phone everyone you know has, and you go to send it to the one person you know who has a different phone. they tell you the quality is bad and they can't make out what's in the video. they ask you to download a different app to send it, you don't want to, or the app store asks for your password to download it and you can't remember your password and you dont really use email for anything except work or coupons or whatever and now you have to do all these steps just to interact with this person in a different way. why is their phone like this? why don't they just have what everyone else has?

it's unfortunate most people aren't tech savvy enough to not care or to get around it. and i know i'm generalizing and that there's a healthy population of people who know what they're doing, but the majority of people are how i described. apple capitalizes on that and wants it that way.

Agreed. It's not about the color, but what comes with the color. It was so much easier to communicate with other iOS users in America. Plus I don't want to download another app just to message (i.e. Whatsapp / Telegram / Signal...). Only other app is Messenger for some Facebook acquaintances.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In a similar vein, last time I visited America and every time I paid with my Fold the cashier would always say "Apple pay?" and I'm like... sure...

Apple's marketing is on point, you gotta give them that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

poo poo, my whole family is on Android, but my mom is not tech savvy and loves taking video instead of photos, so she'll film like three minutes of something and then text me and it looks fine on her end and doesn't get why I just see a handful of pixels on my end.

Or she'll get something via WhatsApp and forward it to me via SMS (I'm on WhatsApp, too!) and same thing.

If everyone is on Android, why aren't you using RCS for texts?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I think it's probably a given that anyone talking about green bubble bullshit is talking about it from a US point of view. You guys don't have to snarkily respond about how it's a US problem. Everyone knows that

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

In a similar vein, last time I visited America and every time I paid with my Fold the cashier would always say "Apple pay?" and I'm like... sure...

Apple's marketing is on point, you gotta give them that
Apple Pay showing up is basically the entire reason stores started accepting NFC payments in the US, so it makes sense that people tie the two together imo. They were functionally a non-entity til then, and even then it took a couple years to get some major chains to stop trying to make their own payment systems work. Hell, I think it even (slightly) predates chip-and-pin cards becoming the norm in the US.

Resdfru posted:

I think it's probably a given that anyone talking about green bubble bullshit is talking about it from a US point of view. You guys don't have to snarkily respond about how it's a US problem. Everyone knows that
Also this. The question "why don't you just use WhatsApp" is silly to me, it's the same reason why tons of people in Europe use WhatsApp: there's been a decade-long broad cultural habit/precedent set that it's the thing you use to communicate. That's SMS in the States, I assume because we rarely had to consider international communication. So the built-in SMS replacement on an iPhone became the norm for a lot of people, and when you deviate from that norm (aka use an Android phone), people think you're the weird one and not the other way around.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 15, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I think maybe new generecized trademarks aren't all that common in the US and so it is legitemately confusing to encounter one.

Actually I wonder if there is a place and language where just all smartphones are called 'iPhones' or even 'Blackberrys'.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If y'all keep bringing up how lovely it is over there we're gonna keep pointing out how dumb it is sorry

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

Apple Pay showing up is basically the entire reason stores started accepting NFC payments in the US

Contactless payments are an intrinsic functionally of newer POS terminals driven by the CC industry. Contactless payments would have been pushed out regardless of if Apple Pay existed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the honeymoon phase for the S24U is ending.

However, it’s noteworthy in that it’s ending NOT due to device frustrations but more for the stuff I’m missing from Pixels.

Very specifically, automatic call screening and the inability to select text from the app overview screen.

Political season is ramping up and there have been too many “join our town hall” type calls going out that would have just been silently dealt with in the background.

I also cannot even count how many times I’ve swiped up to try to select text that is in a normally not selectable field (or an image) and expected to long press to copy it only to be launched into the multitasking screen.

All of this hasn’t QUITE driven me off the phone yet, but it’s an annoyance.

I still really hope Gorilla Glass Armor with the same anti-reflective properties makes it to the Pixel 9 Pro and Pixel Fold 2. It really is a game changer. I will also say I would be fine if the Pixel 9 Pro moves to an ultrasonic sensor if it’s the one that the S24U has since it’s been nearly 3 weeks and STULL MOSTLY WORKS for me which is huge after all these years dealing with ultrasonic issues.

I’m taking a vacation to Hawaii in a few weeks and I’m still leaning on taking the P8P on that trip for the better (in my eyes) cameras and better pocketability. It’s very tempting to take the S24U for the insane battery life it gives, but I feel like I won’t be as satisfied with the pictures (though I’m taking enough real cameras and most photos are probably going to come from my GR IIIx or A6700 anyways.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sleepwalkers posted:

Also this. The question "why don't you just use WhatsApp" is silly to me, it's the same reason why tons of people in Europe use WhatsApp: there's been a decade-long broad cultural habit/precedent set that it's the thing you use to communicate. That's SMS in the States, I assume because we rarely had to consider international communication. So the built-in SMS replacement on an iPhone became the norm for a lot of people, and when you deviate from that norm (aka use an Android phone), people think you're the weird one and not the other way around.

You think us Euros weren't SMSing? We were sending text in the mid-90s while you guys were faxing each other's pagers or whatever. We just adapted to a more pragmatic system (idk maybe because some plans still charged per SMS). I don't think it had much to do with international messaging, except in the immigrant communities, even though that's obviously a big bonus.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wait can you tell me more about the ability to long press text and copy it? On my s23 I use the edge panel to use the area screenshot and then I use text extract. But long pressing any random text on screen to copy sounds way better

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can select text from the recent apps screen, and it is a useful way of getting around non selectable text in apps etc

So on a pixel you'd swipe up then long press

Guess you don't get that on a samsung

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Resdfru posted:

Wait can you tell me more about the ability to long press text and copy it? On my s23 I use the edge panel to use the area screenshot and then I use text extract. But long pressing any random text on screen to copy sounds way better

It’s been a long standing feature on Pixels that you can swipe up to go to the app overview screen and then copy anything out of that overview tile. You can long press on any text presented, even if it’s not something you would normally be able to highlight, and copy out. You can also copy images directly out of it too.

One of the places I find it super useful is in messaging apps because usually you can only select and copy a whole message and you would then have to truncate it down to get what you want out of it wherever you are pasting it. But with this feature you can just swipe and hold up to go to the app overview of the message app and select the text you want with normal selection process and then directly share it to whatever.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 15, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
A lot of peoples opinions about Android were formed in the early and mid 2010s, when admittedly a lot of Android phones were stuttering messes due to the rapid iteration of SOCs and the OS, or just straight up broken. Take that, with the fact that a lot of apps that people care about (the fact that ~*you*~ don't care about these apps does not matter here) like Instagram, Vine (lol), Snapchat etc launched first on iOS, and when they came to Android weren't nearly as good, and it's how Android got the reputation it has in the US and Canada.

I don't blame anyone who had a Droid X2 that randomly restarted itself back in the day looking over at their friends iPhone and saying "Their phone doesn't do that, I'm going to get an iPhone next time", being locked into their iMessage groupchat a few years later, and then never giving it a second thought.

I think Google has done some good work to turn that around the past year or two with the Pixel 7 and 8, but woof did they let things slide way too far there. They got a lot of work to do.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yep, it's still a problem today too tbh. If you get your kid an iPhone the cheapest one is going to be a fully functional iPhone with no issues. You get them the cheapest android it's gonna be a whole lot cheaper but it's also going to be an utter piece of poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What’s funny is my OG Droid is what got most of the friends I listed with Pixels today off of iPhone because even then Android was doing things that iOS (or Apple hardware) didn’t. None of them actually got a Droid, but it opened their eyes that smartphones beyond iPhone existed that weren’t old windows mobile.

One of the huge things was the screen. My Droid had double the resolution of the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The fact that I was able to play full resolution DVD rips from an SD card blew their minds (digital video media was not really that easy to come by in 2009.)

The other thing was….flash. Apple’s refusal to support flash lead to so much friction in those early days when so much of the web relied on flash (especially for streaming video before there were native apps.)

One friend held on until the iPhone 4 or 5 because he wanted a smaller phone, but he’s the one with a OnePlus 10t now. The small phone requirement went by the wayside when mobile gaming became a thing.

Apple’s AT&T exclusivity in the early days didn’t do them any favors either. Verizon didn’t get an iPhone until 2011. There were a lot of things that Apple did early on that actually worked against them smothering Android in its early days and allowed it to get a foothold.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 15, 2024

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just used battery share to wirelessly charge a coworkers iPhone at work and that blows their minds.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

What’s funny is my OG Droid is what got most of the friends I listed with Pixels today off of iPhone because even then Android was doing things that iOS (or Apple hardware) didn’t.

One of the huge things was the screen. My Droid had double the resolution of the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The fact that I was able to play full resolution DVD rips from an SD card blew their minds (digital video media was not really that easy to come by in 2009.)

The other thing was….flash. Apple’s refusal to support flash lead to so much friction in those early days when so much of the web relied on flash (especially for streaming video before there were native apps.)

One friend held on until the iPhone 4 or 5 because he wanted a smaller phone, but he’s the one with a OnePlus 10t now. The small phone requirement went by the wayside when mobile gaming became a thing.

Apple’s AT&T exclusivity in the early days didn’t do them any favors either. Verizon didn’t get an iPhone until 2011. There were a lot of things that Apple did early on that actually worked against them smothering Android in its early days and allowed it to get a foothold.

Yes, but keep in mind a lot of those features are stuff that few people care about. Sure everyone cares about a better screen, but not a lot of people care about ripping their DVDs to an SDCard or lack of flash support. They care about getting Instagram on their phone, and then they cared that Instagram photos didn't look like total poo poo or that their Snapchat videos weren't grainy trash.

Apple also cultivated a social status at that time they was only maybe briefly matched by Samsung and their Galaxy phones. For most people, Android = Galaxy, if they weren't walking into a store to get an iPhone, they were walking in to get a "Galaxy".

When I was in college, I did a three month stint at Bestbuy selling phones (terrible job lmao) this was early-mid 2013, I was there for the Galaxy S4 launch. It opened my eyes a lot to what the average person thought about when they went to go upgrade their phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I say this with the least amount of posting respect possible. You're a whiny simpleton and a moron. Also clearly American. Everyone here uses WhatsApp. The only place I've ever even heard this green text thing is from dimbass yankee doodle fucks online on these comedy forums you say to avoid. Just a massive lol to you and this post.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, but keep in mind a lot of those features are stuff that few people care about. Sure everyone cares about a better screen, but not a lot of people care about ripping their DVDs to an SDCard or lack of flash support. They care about getting Instagram on their phone, and then they cared that Instagram photos didn't look like total poo poo or that their Snapchat videos weren't grainy trash.

Apple also cultivated a social status at that time they was only maybe briefly matched by Samsung and their Galaxy phones. For most people, Android = Galaxy, if they weren't walking into a store to get an iPhone, they were walking in to get a "Galaxy".

When I was in college, I did a three month stint at Bestbuy selling phones (terrible job lmao) this was early-mid 2013, I was there for the Galaxy S4 launch. It opened my eyes a lot to what the average person thought about when they went to go upgrade their phone.

My point was that Android wasn't jankier than iPhone back then when you were talking about equal model/price levels and any public perception of Android as such largely stems from the carriers giving away free garbage phones with service that biased people's opinions. "Oh, I need to get a phone for little Johnny on my family plan, I'll purchase this iPhone 5 for myself and take the free Alcatel One Touch for him. He'll be so happy to have a phone."

Ten years later Johnny still shivers about having to use Froyo on a budget device for two years and just buys an iPhone for his himself when he gets a cell plan.

My 17 year old nephew just last year was flabbergasted that I was able to take like 1000 pictures in Iceland with my P8P without it blowing up slowing to a halt. Dude, your mom first gave you some budget bottom of the barrel Samsung free device as your first cell phone. That's not representative of anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

If everyone is on Android, why aren't you using RCS for texts?

My mom and I are. I don't think my sis is? My sister's and mine messages are not. I never asked her if she has that option or not, she's on her own phones and plan with her family, I'm not going around asking them what settings they're using. I'm "in charge" of my mom's tech stuff, so her phone is toggled on.

(I don't think I have gotten a long video sent to just me, but to the family group text)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CLAM DOWN posted:

I say this with the least amount of posting respect possible. You're a whiny simpleton and a moron. Also clearly American. Everyone here uses WhatsApp. The only place I've ever even heard this green text thing is from dimbass yankee doodle fucks online on these comedy forums you say to avoid. Just a massive lol to you and this post.

i asked you to pretend to not be a neckbeard fat idiot goon. should have realized that was impossible for you. my bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i asked you to pretend to not be a neckbeard fat idiot goon. should have realized that was impossible for you. my bad.

sorry for your smooth american brain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Contactless payments are an intrinsic functionally of newer POS terminals driven by the CC industry. Contactless payments would have been pushed out regardless of if Apple Pay existed.

Chip and pin would've brought terminals that could handle NFC payments, but not necessarily Apple/Google compatibility. I can't tell you how many terminals I came across that technically supported it but weren't enabled before Apple Pay. Additionally, there were nationwide chains like uhh CVS and Walgreens I think, that needed customer pressure to give up on their dreams of forcing everyone to use their own payment system and accept normal poo poo people actually use.
Can totally argue whether or not that would've happened regardless, but I find it hard to think this is the one exception to the general "Apple introduces feature that's existed for years and suddenly people care" rule we see relatively often in the states.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

cool

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

Chip and pin would've brought terminals that could handle NFC payments, but not necessarily Apple/Google compatibility. I can't tell you how many terminals I came across that technically supported it but weren't enabled before Apple Pay. Additionally, there were nationwide chains like uhh CVS and Walgreens I think, that needed customer pressure to give up on their dreams of forcing everyone to use their own payment system and accept normal poo poo people actually use.
Can totally argue whether or not that would've happened regardless, but I find it hard to think this is the one exception to the general "Apple introduces feature that's existed for years and suddenly people care" rule we see relatively often in the states.

Yeah, the demand for contactless payment tech (as opposed to just EMV, which is a whole separate thing) was almost certainly increased by smartphone payments becoming ubiquitous, but I feel like it would have probably happened (if not maybe as fast or as universally) no matter what.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was hiking the AT in 2017 and went to a Walgreens in Georgia to buy something. Put my card next to the contactless thing and the cahsier was like "what are you doing?" then it went through and she said "oh no one's done that before."

Blew my mind.

Also I'll be relocating to the US soon (I know, goondolences) and I tell you this, I ain't texting anyone! Get on signal baby

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I remember when Samsung Pay had the mag strip emulator. And that popped more than a couple of brains when I used it places where "we don't have that yet".

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I remember when Samsung Pay had the mag strip emulator. And that popped more than a couple of brains when I used it places where "we don't have that yet".

I completely forgot that was a thing. Having a phone that can manipulate magnetic waves to interface with card readers seemed like such a magical piece of tech.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Every 7-11 I’ve been to in my area errors out on both google pay and Apple Pay, despite having the stickers on the terminal for it.

Experiences like that make me never want to try it at other places. Nobody wants to be the person fumbling around with their phone and poo poo when people are waiting behind you.

Sucks, because when it does work it’s way quicker and cool! I always use it at the Halal place I goto.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Every 7-11 I’ve been to in my area errors out on both google pay and Apple Pay, despite having the stickers on the terminal for it.

Experiences like that make me never want to try it at other places. Nobody wants to be the person fumbling around with their phone and poo poo when people are waiting behind you.

Sucks, because when it does work it’s way quicker and cool! I always use it at the Halal place I goto.

Perhaps 7-11 is Haram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

on my default as gently caress pixel7, with the search bar on the homescreen, I used to be able to tap the microphone and say poo poo like 'remind me at time thing' and it would do it without having to use assistant or anything that I can't be hosed with.

they just disabled that and now it opens a google search

wtf?