Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013
What the hell is going on with my cat's ear?

Previously, she was a normal-looking cat with two matching, normal-looking ears. About a week ago, the one ear just "wrinkled," for lack of a better way to describe it? Her ear moves normally and sometimes the wrinkle isn't as deep as other times. It isn't red or scaly or anything, no broken skin at all -- just a wrinkle. She doesn't like you to touch it, but that's not really all that weird.

???

Edit: oh poo poo, it's like a giant blister or something. There's like a pocket of fluid in the middle of the ear skin so the ear is like, crinkling around the blister. That wasn't there yesterday.

The only time this cat ever needs vet assistance or a vet opinion is on the goddamn weekend. Dammit, Phoebe.

cov-hog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

My cat who was an adapted stray and now has all his shots spends most of his waking hours outside, I can't change that. He never gets into fights and is pretty non-violent but there is a new cat in the hood that is silly wimp who will sometimes come up to my balcony and try to swipe at my cat only when his back his turned, basically when I am letting him inside he'll rush him. As soon as he is faced or challenged he backs off.

Why am I scared? Because my cat was balancing on the thin railing of my third floor balcony "playing defense" to the other cat. I know cats have crazy good balance but I'm afraid if the other cat jumps mine my cat will fall off the balcony three story's down in frantic self-defense. Is that fear justified?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

crowoutofcontext posted:

My cat who was an adapted stray and now has all his shots spends most of his waking hours outside, I can't change that. He never gets into fights and is pretty non-violent but there is a new cat in the hood that is silly wimp who will sometimes come up to my balcony and try to swipe at my cat only when his back his turned, basically when I am letting him inside he'll rush him. As soon as he is faced or challenged he backs off.

Why am I scared? Because my cat was balancing on the thin railing of my third floor balcony "playing defense" to the other cat. I know cats have crazy good balance but I'm afraid if the other cat jumps mine my cat will fall off the balcony three story's down in frantic self-defense. Is that fear justified?

what it is; if you let your cat outside most of the time, there's a lot of stuff you won't have control over

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, pretty much. It's entirely possible your cat will fall and hurt himself, it's possible he'll fall and be fine, it's possible he'll never fall at all. Depending on your area there's a lot of other things that could happen to him outside so it's a matter of how much risk you want to take vs how unhappy he is inside.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anecdotally, my cat did tons of dangerous things and came through without getting hurt. I once watched him dangle off a 3rd story roof to catch a bat that was under the eaves. (Everyone was pretty nervous during that event, though, and if banning him from the roof was feasible I would have.) I think it depends on the cat. Do you think your cat is agile and smart or super derpy? If he is already outside all the time, he is probably fairly capable.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hey cat thread. I'm cat sitting for my sister and brother-in-law while their on their honeymoon and was wondering how I should handle tiring out their two cats.

I had a cat as a kid, but she passed when I was ten and so I never had a major hand in caring for her beyond litterbox cleaning towards the end. Obviously I know to clean their box everyday and feed and water them because duh, but I'm worried about them getting destructive during the day while I'm at work.

Is there any particular game or activity I can do with them quickly in the morning? I don't know exactly what my sister has for them toywise, but when I last saw them when they were kittens they seemed to have all the basics.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hopeandjoy posted:

Hey cat thread. I'm cat sitting for my sister and brother-in-law while their on their honeymoon and was wondering how I should handle tiring out their two cats.

I had a cat as a kid, but she passed when I was ten and so I never had a major hand in caring for her beyond litterbox cleaning towards the end. Obviously I know to clean their box everyday and feed and water them because duh, but I'm worried about them getting destructive during the day while I'm at work.

Is there any particular game or activity I can do with them quickly in the morning? I don't know exactly what my sister has for them toywise, but when I last saw them when they were kittens they seemed to have all the basics.

laser, rattling ball thingies, crinkly paper or cellophane, a box

2 boxes

box voltron (the lion one not the lame car one)

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I posted this to the ferret thread as well, but this thread is much more active and I'm hoping to get as much input as possible.

My husband and I are planning on adopting a cat in August. We've been bickering about what age would be best to adopt so as to socialize with the ferrets - kitten with malleable social brain (husband's vote) or 2yr+ and tested with other animals (my vote). We have three ferrets right now. Artemis, 3 yrs old, used to live happily with cats before we adopted her. Tristan, 2 yrs old, best friend is cat. Siegfried, ~9mos, has not met cats but is pretty good with weird/new situations.

And yes, I've suggested adopting 2 kittens - husband's response is that the ferrets will tire kitten out...

Do you guys have any advice or anecdotes to share about introducing catte to fert?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Maully Millions posted:

I posted this to the ferret thread as well, but this thread is much more active and I'm hoping to get as much input as possible.

My husband and I are planning on adopting a cat in August. We've been bickering about what age would be best to adopt so as to socialize with the ferrets - kitten with malleable social brain (husband's vote) or 2yr+ and tested with other animals (my vote). We have three ferrets right now. Artemis, 3 yrs old, used to live happily with cats before we adopted her. Tristan, 2 yrs old, best friend is cat. Siegfried, ~9mos, has not met cats but is pretty good with weird/new situations.

And yes, I've suggested adopting 2 kittens - husband's response is that the ferrets will tire kitten out...

Do you guys have any advice or anecdotes to share about introducing catte to fert?

I have no experience with ferrets, but I can't imagine a cat learning to get along with a ferret is much different from getting along with a dog or another cat or any other animal. It's just another creature sharing its space. As long as the cat has some place it can go to be left alone it should be fine.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Maully Millions posted:

i'd vote for malleable kitten brains(also the name of my punk band); i don't think you'll find any cats that have been "tested" with ferrets, and my hunch is that it'd be easier for the kittens to grow up with the ferrets as a normal thing and also while the kittens are mostly harmless.

Maully Millions posted:

husband's response is that the ferrets will tire kitten out...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

taqueso posted:

Anecdotally, my cat did tons of dangerous things and came through without getting hurt. I once watched him dangle off a 3rd story roof to catch a bat that was under the eaves. (Everyone was pretty nervous during that event, though, and if banning him from the roof was feasible I would have.) I think it depends on the cat. Do you think your cat is agile and smart or super derpy? If he is already outside all the time, he is probably fairly capable.

Yeah he's very agile and fit and hasn't really hurt himself ever. The other cat hasn't been around for the past few days and I think is actually more afraid at this point.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Seeking advice:

My neighbors, two nice young women in their 20's, took in a stray cat last fall (his previous owners moved and abandoned him. Jerks.). Anyway, he spends a lot of time outdoors, so it was only a matter of time before he got fleas. I noticed flea dirt on him six weeks ago when he stopped by my place for chin scratches. I left a note for his current owners, since they weren't home.

Flash forward to two weeks ago, I notice the cat still has flea dirt on him. I see my neighbors leaving their apartment and tell them basically "Hey, this guy has fleas. I know he sleeps inside with you, so I figured you'd want to know." Their response: "Ohhh, we know. We keep picking them off of him. We really need to get him a treatment."

...Okay, so they know he has fleas. Tonight, I saw him again when I got home from work. He's in real rough shape. More flea dirt than ever, his fur is getting really dry and wiry-feeling, and it looks like he's scratching off patches of fur around his neck and chin -- it's very thinned out and short there.

So the problem is, it's not my cat. I've reminded the neighbors three times now that he has fleas. They seem to be doing absolutely nothing about it. I realize there's not a hell of a lot I can do, because, well, he's not my cat. Would it be too brazen of me to just get some drops or something and treat him myself? I don't know what kind of complications long-term flea infestation can cause, but his fur is looking pretty rough.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

duckfarts posted:

i'd vote for malleable kitten brains(also the name of my punk band); i don't think you'll find any cats that have been "tested" with ferrets, and my hunch is that it'd be easier for the kittens to grow up with the ferrets as a normal thing and also while the kittens are mostly harmless.

HAHA etc.

My favorite album is MALLEABLE KITTEN BRAINS: MOSTLY HARMLESS

I'm sharing your response with ole hubs, perhaps he shall see reason and we can get 2 kittens. I'm totally not already scoping out cats on the local SPCA website or anything, nope, not me!

Deteriorata posted:

I have no experience with ferrets, but I can't imagine a cat learning to get along with a ferret is much different from getting along with a dog or another cat or any other animal. It's just another creature sharing its space. As long as the cat has some place it can go to be left alone it should be fine.

The ferrets have access to half the apartment when I'm home, are caged the rest of the time. There are a ton of places for cat to hide from rear end in a top hat ferrets, and my hope is that you're right - it'll be like socializing it to anything else.

Thanks for your input, you guys!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Argyle posted:

Seeking advice:

My neighbors, two nice young women in their 20's, took in a stray cat last fall (his previous owners moved and abandoned him. Jerks.). Anyway, he spends a lot of time outdoors, so it was only a matter of time before he got fleas. I noticed flea dirt on him six weeks ago when he stopped by my place for chin scratches. I left a note for his current owners, since they weren't home.

Flash forward to two weeks ago, I notice the cat still has flea dirt on him. I see my neighbors leaving their apartment and tell them basically "Hey, this guy has fleas. I know he sleeps inside with you, so I figured you'd want to know." Their response: "Ohhh, we know. We keep picking them off of him. We really need to get him a treatment."

...Okay, so they know he has fleas. Tonight, I saw him again when I got home from work. He's in real rough shape. More flea dirt than ever, his fur is getting really dry and wiry-feeling, and it looks like he's scratching off patches of fur around his neck and chin -- it's very thinned out and short there.

So the problem is, it's not my cat. I've reminded the neighbors three times now that he has fleas. They seem to be doing absolutely nothing about it. I realize there's not a hell of a lot I can do, because, well, he's not my cat. Would it be too brazen of me to just get some drops or something and treat him myself? I don't know what kind of complications long-term flea infestation can cause, but his fur is looking pretty rough.

I like your brazen plan but go farther.

Steal the cat.
go full aggressive as opposed to passive aggressive, they are enabling and extending an animal's pain. gently caress them.

Note: i am somewhat ethically challenged when it comes to rear end in a top hat pet owners.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah I was going to post the same thing but was worried I'd sound too crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that idea.

Take the cat in (or capture it and go directly to vet if you're worried about fleas yourself) and just tell the couple "it must have run away."

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anybody flown with their cat before? Is it going to be a Big Pain In The rear end?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Argyle posted:

Seeking advice:

If you wanna be all Good Samaritan, you could buy some advantage and give it to them and say try this I know it works and will help.

Failing that, yoink

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I bought catnip because I wanted my cat to use the scratching board more. As it turns out she couldn't care less about catnip.

So I got a laser pointer to play with her. She doesn't even look at the loving dot.

My cat is broken.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sensy v2.0 posted:

I bought catnip because I wanted my cat to use the scratching board more. As it turns out she couldn't care less about catnip.

So I got a laser pointer to play with her. She doesn't even look at the loving dot.

My cat is broken.

Have you tried a box?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Jeoh posted:

Have you tried a box?

My cat is afraid of boxes.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

toe knee hand posted:

sensy v2.0 posted:

My cat is broken.

Check your cat for stitching and fluff because it may be a stuffed animal. It could also be a large rodent pretending to be a cat.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Does your cat like breadcrumbs?
Does it have a bill?

Have you considered that your cat may be a duck in a costume?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i want a duck :smith:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Did you maybe misplace a baby and confuse it for a cat?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

My cat poo poo on the floor :argh:

And the carpet :argh:

And then she tried to bury the poo poo on the floor with nonexistent cat litter, and instead smeared the poo poo around. :argh:

But 99.9% of the time she is a very good cat, and I'm an rear end in a top hat for forgetting to empty her litter box for a day, which is probably why she poo poo on the floor.

SneakyFrog posted:

i want a duck :smith:

me too :smith:

though i'd probably end up with even more poo poo on the floor.

sensy v2.0 posted:

My cat is broken.

Try getting the "da bird" toy or whatever version you can find (a stick with feathers and a string attached to the end). It's interested every cat I've tried it on so far. Also, try hair ties and rubber bands, and other random stuff. My cat goes crazy over the plastic strips that tear off when you open a bag of beef jerky or whatever, and will spend days shredding up the same one.

toe knee hand posted:

:aaaaa:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rah! posted:

me too :smith:

though i'd probably end up with even more poo poo on the floor.

:blush:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just crush up some paper into a small ball and throw it about and my cats think it's the best thing in the world.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I have a plastic green water bottle cap that my cat will play with for hours.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

He was a stray so maybe he was abandoned in a box or got trapped in a box of something. Or maybe he's always been the world's only claustrophobic cat.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rah! posted:

Try getting the "da bird" toy or whatever version you can find (a stick with feathers and a string attached to the end). It's interested every cat I've tried it on so far. Also, try hair ties and rubber bands, and other random stuff. My cat goes crazy over the plastic strips that tear off when you open a bag of beef jerky or whatever, and will spend days shredding up the same one.

Seconding da bird. I take one with me to the shelter when I volunteer and almost every cat there no matter how skittish gets fixated on it when I whip it around the room. Very effective hunt toy.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'm transitioning from a move and trying to sell my house. While the house is selling, we are living with my mother-in-law. Her cat/my wife's childhood cat died at 19 years old yesterday. This is the first cat I've ever buried, as previously my dad took care of any of our pets that would pass away. I didn't even really know this cat that well and it was still an awful experience and terribly sad. RIP Dipstick :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Reik posted:

Seconding da bird. I take one with me to the shelter when I volunteer and almost every cat there no matter how skittish gets fixated on it when I whip it around the room. Very effective hunt toy.

The only toy I've found that's more effective than Da Bird is the mouse version of Da Bird. My younger cat knows where it is stored and will come running when he thinks I might be opening cabinets nearby.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the sphero smart ball things are pretty rad too

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The only toy I've found that's more effective than Da Bird is the mouse version of Da Bird. My younger cat knows where it is stored and will come running when he thinks I might be opening cabinets nearby.

Cat Dancers are pretty good too; it's basically a nice version of a string on a stick that also happens to be really durable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cat Dancers are great. Cookie goes nuts for them. Pudding isnt interested though. Mine's held up really well even though Cookie can destroy most cat toys

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My cats just don't care for boxes. They're just not into them at all. This is their one uncatly attribute.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

duckfarts posted:

litter robot is considered to be The Best, though 1) they're expensive, even for refurbs/secondhand 2) some cats may be freaked out by it if not introduced properly or just because cats

the littermaid is dogshit and should be avoided at all costs, same with most any other rake-based clones. cat genie gets a pass for this because it doesn't use clumping litter

Confirming that the LitterMaid is garbage. Had one for a few weeks, jammed up whenever it encountered litter more than a few cm high, and my cat loves to pile up litter. Nothing like hearing whirrrrrrrr *click* whirrrrrrrr *click* whirrrrrrrr *click* and so on as it constantly reverses itself in the middle of the night. Wound up just leaving it turned off. Replaced it with this:

http://catitsmartsift.com/

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

XYZ posted:

Confirming that the LitterMaid is garbage. Had one for a few weeks, jammed up whenever it encountered litter more than a few cm high, and my cat loves to pile up litter. Nothing like hearing whirrrrrrrr *click* whirrrrrrrr *click* whirrrrrrrr *click* and so on as it constantly reverses itself in the middle of the night. Wound up just leaving it turned off. Replaced it with this:

http://catitsmartsift.com/

For reference, how is the smart sift with long term use and clumping on the grille itself?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:siren: Hello I have just been adopted by a cat. I heard her(?) yowling outside my apartment so I went to take a look - no collar but extremely friendly and seems healthy so I put out some chopped raw chicken and water in dishes. She seemed interested but I don't think ate/drank, and like an hour later was still yowling, now outside my front door, so I let her in and now she's mostly shut up and is chilling in my window.

A neighbor I didn't know moved out a few days ago and that's the area I found her in at first; I think she was left behind :smith:

I've left the doors open and tried to like, follow her back to somewhere a couple times, but she seems like staying is okay by her. I'm in the Sacramento area and would like to get her checked out first thing for chips/general health, any recommendations besides SPCA? I've had cats growing up most of my life but never one of my own, I need litter and box and um... help?

e:

e2: I put newspaper all down in the bathroom and put food and water and a towel in there, and she ate/drank a little!

Chard fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Chard posted:

I've had cats growing up most of my life but never one of my own, I need litter and box and um... help?

Litterbox, food and water is basically it! I mean, in the long term there's toys and brushes and nail clippers and such but for basic keeping a cat all they need is food, water and a place to poo poo. For the record cooked chicken is fine as long as it doesn't have bones in it, but obviously you want to get her on actual cat food as soon as possible.