Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

Re: torrent chat. Our ISP sent us a notice because someone decided to download Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes a couple of years ago. One of the editors thought it would be really funny to reply all to a "Internet is back" e-mail with "Finally, now I can finish Rise of the Planet of the Apes!" which caused a shitstorm.

My home ISP sent us a warning about a torrent for an episode of Game of Thrones that my roommate had downloaded.

We pay for HBO. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

Today's shaping up to be bitchin'.
It's times like these that "I WATCH 10000 SERVERS ALL THE TIME. IF YOU WANT HELP, ACT LIKE AN ADULT" should be an appropriate response.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

m.hache posted:

Reply Back:

Fixed.

Close ticket
no.
"Could not duplicate."
close ticket.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Got my mother-in-law a new laptop. Very first question " how do I download aol?"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Ticket, with none of our encrypted ticket fields for things like IP address, passwords, etc filled out:

A nice thing about where I work is if someone actually talked to us like that the CIO would rain holy hell on them. I'm almost certain they'd be fired, or at least severely disciplined (unless it was like a C-level I guess). But then again, we don't work with outside clients, it's all internal.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Exit Strategy posted:

Ticket, with none of our encrypted ticket fields for things like IP address, passwords, etc filled out:

Closed: User refused to answer troubleshooting questions.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in... and I have no idea why anyone would think this setup is a good idea

2 Dell R720s connected to a single MD1200 via H800 PERCs accessing the same RAID array.
Not even considering the likelihood of file system corruption in the future (writng to the same file at the same time) - the sysetm's designed to to have on path take control so the other can be constantly thown into foreign config since it's "new" due to the other system accessing it.

And that likelihood on the corruption? It's 100% since it's happened now. Despite being told over a week ago to stop as this would likely happen, they just didn't get it.
And now one of the hosts is missing core Linux commands, such as ls and mkdir.

I don't even get this.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lightning Jim posted:

2 Dell R720s connected to a single MD1200 via H800 PERCs accessing the same RAID array.

I'm storage-dumb. We have 7 hosts accessing the same RAID array over iSCSI. Is that bad, too?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'm storage-dumb. We have 7 hosts accessing the same RAID array over iSCSI. Is that bad, too?

If the hardware can handle it, no, and it sounds likely it's supported since you're using iSCSI.

The MD1200 can only do SAS connections so it doesn't have any support for access control on it or the PERC H800. So if 2 PERCs want to write to the same sector of a drive at the same time, it's not going to be stopped. And that's if you can actually keep both RAID arrays up.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 1, 2015

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

... and used abusive language.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lightning Jim posted:

A ticket came in... and I have no idea why anyone would think this setup is a good idea

Not even considering the likelihood of file system corruption in the future (writng to the same file at the same time) - the sysetm's designed to to have on path take control so the other can be constantly thown into foreign config since it's "new" due to the other system accessing it.

And that likelihood on the corruption? It's 100% since it's happened now. Despite being told over a week ago to stop as this would likely happen, they just didn't get it.
And now one of the hosts is missing core Linux commands, such as ls and mkdir.

I don't even get this.

This is one of those things I wouldn't even think to try because I would assume it wouldn't even let you (and yeah, I'm confused, does the other PERC simply keep importing the foreign config? I thought that was not an automatic process - are you saying a program/script on the 720 is forcing it to?). That's amazing.

"Ho ho Dell said I needed two arrays but boy I showed them! Jerry-rigged that poo poo right up, suck it Dell! :banjo:"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Today Google started redirecting our searches to that suspicious traffic/CAPTCHA page. Our network security folks are "looking into it" and I'm afraid to ask them if they actually know what the message means is happening in our environment. One of them wrote Google asking for an explaination, I'm pretty sure Google's just going to write back with "check your poo poo". All of our outbound Internet traffic goes through a single IP, so Google's not going to be able to tell us anything our internal people shouldn't already know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Knormal posted:

Today Google started redirecting our searches to that suspicious traffic/CAPTCHA page. Our network security folks are "looking into it" and I'm afraid to ask them if they actually know what the message means is happening in our environment. One of them wrote Google asking for an explaination, I'm pretty sure Google's just going to write back with "check your poo poo". All of our outbound Internet traffic goes through a single IP, so Google's not going to be able to tell us anything our internal people shouldn't already know.

Funny you mention that. We're getting the same thing. Do you use Cisco Web Security by any means?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Knormal posted:

Same problem with one of our clients. Not happening to anyone else as far as I know. :shrug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Knormal posted:

We get this at our office maybe once a month. Usually in the morning and lasting a few hours. I've never figured out the cause.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a friend message me about it this morning.

We initially thought it was a result of the Rogers Internet connection he is on.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Knormal posted:

Not sure if it's related to this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/05/01/google-embarassment-over-password-alert-hack/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Google blacklisted one of our campuses today.

Glad its not the site I am at, and its not my problem to fix.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh good, maybe it's a bigger problem and not malware in our environment. I'm not really sure how we're connected to the Internet as a whole or what web security we use beyond McAfee/Websense, the network security team doesn't like to share information. Which is probably good from a security standpoint, but annoying at the same time.

I do know we don't use any Google services though, so I doubt it's related to that password hack issue, unless someone's been accessing their personal Google accounts and a machine got hijacked that way. But Gmail and everything should all be blocked.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Ursine Asylum posted:

sfwarlock posted:

... and used abusive language.

ha ha oh wow would operations management get loving furious if I did that. Ops is under the impression that the express purpose of support analysts and engineers is to function as psychological/emotional punching bags for customers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

ha ha oh wow would operations management get loving furious if I did that. Ops is under the impression that the express purpose of support analysts and engineers is to function as psychological/emotional punching bags for customers.

Ops needs a swift kick in the nuts then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

RVL, Union. Door-to-door for two Manhattan jobs - the first on 37th between 7th and 8th, the second on 34th between 8th and 9th, which was an awesome commute but a lovely, PHB-laden job - was an hour from my house to walking into the office.

I'm surprised that more places that need devs wouldn't have more willingness to telecommute but then again, sysadmin isn't a position that requires a face yet doesn't do telecommute either.

A job on the A/C/E or 1/2/3 is a lot less awful but I still hate driving to the train station, getting on one train, transferring at Newark (which is going to suck until they re-open the Market Street entrance/exit), and then schlepping on the subway. I draw the line at an hour for sanity's sake, doubly so when if you miss the two trains from NYP that connect in a timely fashion to the RVL you're stuck for 40 minutes during peak hours. A lot of jobs I've seen are on B/D/F/M or N/R/Q, so throw in a walk to 6th Ave and the hellish chutes of going up/down the subway stairs at rush hour. Granted, both can be the gateway to jobs around way better food, but blogging for Midtown Lunch isn't a good reason to take a job.

That's also excluding the crowd on the platform as you wait for the RVL train at Penn.

I'm told that single-seat rides at peak hours are basically impossible until major rail infrastructure changes between Union and Newark, given freight train use of those lines. Let alone the congestion of the two Hudson River tunnels and the upcoming closure of one. That's gonna be real super fun for commuters.

I'd consider PATH so long as I don't have to transfer, but I think it's around the same time to take PATH from my house to Exchange Place in Jersey City that it is to take NJ Transit to NY Penn, only less room and more crunched humanity.

Yeah, it's obnoxious that the Track 5 work is going on, especially since it means that the big-ol' ramp is out of commission, but at least the train doesn't drive PAST the station doors now since it has to stop for the construction.

Missing your connection doesn't take THAT long, though I guess the fact that only half the trains stop at Union makes it obnoxious if you miss one. Still, if you time it right, the train travel time including transfers is 30 minutes.

The RVL crowd isn't THAT bad, at least not lately. Then again, I come and go at the very start of peak hours so it's pretty reasonable for me.

Yeah, the PATH sucks. I used to take it to 14th street then walk 2 blocks, but I realized that it's worth the extra money to take the train to NYPP and then take the ACE to 14th street. It's faster and more comfortable.

Anyhoo, I'm coming from the Raritan area, so your "But it's SO LONG" :cry: cries are falling on slightly deaf ears, since I've got an extra 50 minutes tacked on to your projected commute. It's not fun, but it's where the jobs are.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey, why don't we have SH/SC NYC meets?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_666 posted:

As long as it's relatively early, I'd be down with it. As I've alluded to in the posts above, getting home kind of sucks.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My new gig is going to be in (and all around) NYC but I'll be living in CT so it's MetroNorth into Grand Central then to whatever client site I need to be at via walking or subway.

And I'm down for an NYC meet though I have no idea about my schedule yet.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

This is one of those things I wouldn't even think to try because I would assume it wouldn't even let you (and yeah, I'm confused, does the other PERC simply keep importing the foreign config? I thought that was not an automatic process - are you saying a program/script on the 720 is forcing it to?). That's amazing.

"Ho ho Dell said I needed two arrays but boy I showed them! Jerry-rigged that poo poo right up, suck it Dell! :banjo:"

OH, no, they'd end up reimport manually each time. (There is an option to enable autoimport, though) And just recently was unable to import the foreign config because they finally corrupted the entire datastore.

I also got told of a story of someone with their external storage who due to PERC limitations at the time created 2 RAID 5s, then in Windows did a software RAID 0. That's great! Until a single disk fails. I don't know the size but at probably TBs of data, of course they couldn't afford the hardware to be able to back that up...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Knormal posted:

I got this too for the first time today.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MJP posted:

They'd probably just lean on my boss. And he'd probably have no option, politically speaking, to do anything but shrug and bear it.

Or they'd deny the request. :-( Never really considered it.

I'm biased because I work for an msp.

You could get an msp to handle the majority of the tier 1 type work and this would likely be cheaper than hiring a helpdesk and avoid having to find a new employee and interview when he inevitably moves on to a better position. Also depending on what kind of infrastructure you have now, you could have a more advanced monitoring and management system. Depending on what vendor you have now there are economies of scale like better pricing and access to support. Having coverage for normal time of or in case of an emergency is always hard to do with a small department, but an msp can help with this.

If hiring someone is difficult politically, would your company consider working with an msp?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in. An email not addressed to the user with an unexpected attachment.... was not opened by the user; instead they immediately contacted us.

:unsmith: Thank you user, even if it was a false alarm this time. You did good.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

A ticket came in. An email not addressed to the user with an unexpected attachment.... was not opened by the user; instead they immediately contacted us.

:unsmith: Thank you user, even if it was a false alarm this time. You did good.

This happened to me a few weeks back. I thanked them for being diligent and they were super happy. Hoping it rubs off to other users now...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lightning Jim posted:

OH, no, they'd end up reimport manually each time. (There is an option to enable autoimport, though) And just recently was unable to import the foreign config because they finally corrupted the entire datastore.

I'm shocked I tell you, how dare the PERCs corrupt their data like that. Dell needs to make better stuff.

Lightning Jim posted:

I also got told of a story of someone with their external storage who due to PERC limitations at the time created 2 RAID 5s, then in Windows did a software RAID 0. That's great! Until a single disk fails. I don't know the size but at probably TBs of data, of course they couldn't afford the hardware to be able to back that up...

This reminds me of the good times when DAF was known as corvette fisher and gave us screenshots of the 24 TB RAID 0 at his workplace. Oh how we laughed and laughed. Then he went all "I make $95k a year and am better than all you idiots because I work 26 hours a day" and then we had to take him out back behind the woodshed.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A new client called in ...

we onboarded them on Wednesday, cleaned up some server woes, did the documentation song and dance, et cetera.

This morning their MFP blows a fuse (that's the direct error message) and they call us because we're "the last ones who touched it." Of course their copier service tech isn't available (or willing, good on him) on weekends.

Trying to balance the new-client honeymoon period with "not my issue" reality isn't fun.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

I just forwarded a DMCA notice to one of our customers who got caught torrenting Fifty Shades of Grey :cripes:

Don't you kinkshame me.

J
Jun 10, 2001

We get the google captcha thing happening to our office every so often. Network admin has never been able to figure out why.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Potato Alley posted:

Then he went all "I make $95k a year and am better than all you idiots because I work 26 hours a day" and then we had to take him out back behind the woodshed.
Should of done a better job behind that woodshed. He's back in the "More poo poo that pisses you off" thread.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We got the Google thing Thursday. Network is freaking out because they think we've been blacklisted. Again.
Last time we got on the poo poo list was because network never bothered to lock down the mail relay in the DMZ, so we were legitimately blacklisted for sending thousands of spam messages a minute. Once that little fuckup got fixed it's been clear sailing.
Minus the notice & notice uh...notices for torrents that I am 90% sure aren't legitimate. But that's a problem for future me. Present me just finished moving his sister in law in and is going to drink all the beer in the house while making more.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm game.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
I need to type this now that im out of the clause. I used to work for a unknown server farm somewhere in new york. Some of the poo poo they pulled was legendary. Back-ups on zip disks, using excel to hold all passwords. Using "illegals" to run wiring. It was a bad job. But it paid well and you get the compliments of 3 phones and pager deal.

Severe degrading raid? ehh it'll fix itself, it costs too much to fix it, just buy usb sticks to mirror that data. It was that type of server farm. Get called at 3 am because the server alarm is going off because theres raccoons in the server floor? Thats normal.

I still get calls from them asking me if i can take clicked of death zip discs apart to recover data. I'm like no.

pro:tip, never give a business your real cell phone number, you'll be haunted.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Zip disks in 2015? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

J posted:

Zip disks in 2015? :gonk:

They still work great. So long as you don't have the drives where Iomega saved a few cents by removing a part literally designed to prevent the click of death in the drive.

If you have one of the good drives, you can still get the click of death if your disk gets mechanically damaged or something, but the good drives won't spread that from disk to disk.

• Locked thread