Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, my biggest criticism of Dominion is the vp cards and scoring. In other games they do something, but in this, to win you have to fill your deck with them and spend your last few turns not doing much.

That's literally the point of the game. All of the cards that do stuff are worth nothing at the end and all the cards that make you win are blank and gum up the works. It's an intentional design choice to force you to make tough choices about when to stop building your engine and start buying Provinces.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm the bestest evil anime puppeteer with time powers that ever wielded a script and now my friends hate me because I keep gloating over their pitiful efforts to break my trap.

Buy Tragedy Looper.

I need to play Tragedy Looper more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me put Dominion interactivity this way: the best attack is buying a Province. Or Goons. But usually buying a Province.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Goons is a pretty good attack.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Some Numbers posted:

That's literally the point of the game. All of the cards that do stuff are worth nothing at the end and all the cards that make you win are blank and gum up the works. It's an intentional design choice to force you to make tough choices about when to stop building your engine and start buying Provinces.

That being said, VotK's scoring system is fantastic. You don't have cards that gum up your deck, but if you want to win the game, you have to consume the very cards that make your deck work well. The turning point is a lot of fun, as you have to choose when to start cannabalizing key parts of your deck for points.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
How to tell if a deck building game is good at a glance:

If VP is attached to functional cards, it's probably poo poo.

If VP is attached to functional cards, and stronger cards are worth more VP, the game is poo poo and was made by idiot fuckers.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SkeletonHero posted:

If VP is attached to functional cards, and stronger cards are worth more VP, the game is poo poo and was made by idiot fuckers.

See: Ascension.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SkeletonHero posted:

Counterpoint: Eminent Domain

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, my biggest criticism of Dominion is the vp cards and scoring. In other games they do something, but in this, to win you have to fill your deck with them and spend your last few turns not doing much.

Isn't that true of most games that have a victory point mechanic, though? Anything you do on the last turn will only score points, it won't benefit you in future turns because there are none.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't that true of most games that have a victory point mechanic, though? Anything you do on the last turn will only score points, it won't benefit you in future turns because there are none.

No, the problem is that as you start piling on VPs, you draw more hands of three Provinces or whatever, which means you get to sit there staring at a green hand while your opponent plays a lengthy Bridge combo to buy two Provinces. It's particularly bad if you're playing with a group of new players, so every turn takes longer than it should and bad hands are more likely because you're still learning.

Of course, games that just makes VP cards do stuff take away the trade-off and don't replace it, which is worse. But it's still a legitimate complaint about Dominion.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Dominion feels far more interactive to me than both RFTG games, even just using the base set.

I know people around here don't like http://www.playdominion.com, but the tutorial does a good job of explaining basic strategy. It even warns about the trap that Bottom Liner and friends fell into: that snatching up low-value Victory cards early on will hurt more than help.

Once you understand the strategies better, the endgame is not simply dragging it out doing nothing--you may be hoping your engine hits 8 so you can finish off the Provinces, but you also may be battling it out for Duchies + Dukes, or you may be grabbing every lovely card you can to maximize your Gardens, or you may even be buying up Estates after you had trashed them early on.

I looked up that recommended first game setup and it's boring as heck. Woodcutter sucks. Workshop w/o Gardens sucks. And it's missing most of my favorite base cards - Chapel, Throne Room, Festival, Laboratory, Witch...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you've drawn hands of 3 Provinces multiple times, then either you've already won or you've done something horribly wrong.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SkeletonHero posted:

VotK proves both of these wrong.

Some Numbers posted:

Yes I know. I like Dominion, I just don't like how the end of the game is so anticlimactic and has dead turns staring at green cards.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

No, the problem is that as you start piling on VPs, you draw more hands of three Provinces or whatever, which means you get to sit there staring at a green hand while your opponent plays a lengthy Bridge combo to buy two Provinces. It's particularly bad if you're playing with a group of new players, so every turn takes longer than it should and bad hands are more likely because you're still learning.

Of course, games that just makes VP cards do stuff take away the trade-off and don't replace it, which is worse. But it's still a legitimate complaint about Dominion.

But unless they person who played the lengthy Bridge combo to buy two Provinces is way behind, that means that he correctly didn't green too soon.

I mean if you don't like it that's fine but the entire core of Dominion is that getting VP hurts your efficiency, so you have to figure out where the trade off is. It wouldn't work otherwise. The fact that it leads to some dead hands late game means that you didn't plan properly to end the game, and now your opponents have an opportunity to catch up with the remaining Provinces and Duchies.

It's not a legitimate complaint because the complaint is "I want the core gameplay to be different". (for reference, I am using "legitimate complaint" to mean "is legitimately a design flaw"; of course you are welcome to not like something about a game even if it works as intended)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

StashAugustine posted:

Counterpoint: Eminent Domain

Only for Technologies, and that's because the requirements and opportunity costs of the higher tiers are so high, they would be worthless without more VP attached to them because the game will likely end before you've gotten to use them enough to make them worth the investment. The other main sources of VP are Planets, which do follow the rule of 'the more it does, the less VP it's worth, and visa versa', and Influence chits, which do absolutely nothing but being VP.

Bottom Liner posted:

VotK proves both of these wrong.

If anything, VotK proves both of them correct, since you only score for those powerful cards by destroying their power.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SkeletonHero posted:

Counterpoint: Ascension is fun, and good, while Dominion is dry as dogshit, and bad

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

Counterpoint: Ascension is fun, and bad, while Dominion is dry as dogshit, and good

Counterpoint

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm writing a short piece on the influence of women designers in board games for a class (and for my own interest), and don't really know where to start looking for anything other than, like, a laundry list of games designed by women. Does anyone know of any other writing that's been done on the topic? Some quick googling really only turned up things like geek lists, not really things I could cite as popular sources, let alone academic ones (but that can come later). Honestly I'm not precisely sure what I'm looking for so anything you have might spark some ideas. I'll probably have to draw comparisons to similar industries with more research, like video gaming, when it comes to academic options because there really just isn't anything out there on board games from what I've seen.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

I'm writing a short piece on the influence of women designers in board games for a class (and for my own interest), and don't really know where to start looking for anything other than, like, a laundry list of games designed by women. Does anyone know of any other writing that's been done on the topic? Some quick googling really only turned up things like geek lists, not really things I could cite as popular sources, let alone academic ones (but that can come later). Honestly I'm not precisely sure what I'm looking for so anything you have might spark some ideas. I'll probably have to draw comparisons to similar industries with more research, like video gaming, when it comes to academic options because there really just isn't anything out there on board games from what I've seen.

I'd say blogs are your best bet, unfortunately. There's a severe lack of books about board gaming. Maybe try Rachel Simmons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I'd look through boardgamegeek to find a list of designers and figure out which games have been designed by women. From there, check out the games and either contact the designers directly, or see if they have things like development blogs.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, female designers in a niche hobby are probably like rare birds on rare islands. You could probably just send them e-mails and call them up for phone interviews.

You could genuinely become the primary source for basically the entire field you are trying to write your paper on.

E: And I don't mean that in a condescending way to either you or the designers. It's actually a pretty cool opportunity of pursuit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Countblanc posted:

Are you still selling Kemet?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Huxley posted:

Seriously, female designers in a niche hobby are probably like rare birds on rare islands. You could probably just send them e-mails and call them up for phone interviews.

You could genuinely become the primary source for basically the entire field you are trying to write your paper on.

E: And I don't mean that in a condescending way to either you or the designers. It's actually a pretty cool opportunity of pursuit.

Ha, no I get you. I was actually going to do that very thing when I wrote my thesis last semester, but panicked at the thought of doing what was basically completely unexplored territory and about a subject matter literally no one in my department understood or thought was notable (granted Gender Studies isn't a huge department but whatever). So now I'm writing a much shorter one with a fraction of the work involved. I'll definitely be doing some primary research - likely interviews - but I need some other stuff too. The general point of the piece is less ethnographic "here's what women have done and that inclusiveness is inherently good" (which I'd argue it is but not in this piece, which is more aimed at people making hiring decisions in businesses rather than laypeople) and more a persuasive "here's the Cold Hard Facts about what women have done and these notable titles which spawned [genre/system/whatever] that is used today and that's why having more women in the field is worth investing in" thing. It's definitely not the perfect piece and I'd like to do more with the topic in the future, but baby steps.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are you still selling Kemet?

Maybe/probably, the best offer I had was for that + tokaido for $50 but I'd have to drive two hours to do it and I'd rather just keep the game with that amount of effort and gas money. PM me if you want.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Ha, no I get you. I was actually going to do that very thing when I wrote my thesis last semester, but panicked at the thought of doing what was basically completely unexplored territory and about a subject matter literally no one in my department understood or thought was notable (granted Gender Studies isn't a huge department but whatever). So now I'm writing a much shorter one with a fraction of the work involved. I'll definitely be doing some primary research - likely interviews - but I need some other stuff too. The general point of the piece is less ethnographic "here's what women have done and that inclusiveness is inherently good" (which I'd argue it is but not in this piece, which is more aimed at people making hiring decisions in businesses rather than laypeople) and more a persuasive "here's the Cold Hard Facts about what women have done and these notable titles which spawned [genre/system/whatever] that is used today and that's why having more women in the field is worth investing in" thing. It's definitely not the perfect piece and I'd like to do more with the topic in the future, but baby steps.

It might also be worth looking at large publishing companies to see if there are more women working behind the scenes offering feedback, playtesting, etc. even if their name isn't on the box. Might find something neat about influential women who streamlined marketing or production or something that isn't directly related to game design as well.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

I hear you. I was a Journalism major and worked in newspapers for a decade. I've never written a thing in my life that required citation, but my first instinct to any question like yours is "just call them and ask what the deal is."

I can see what you're shooting at, but it seems like even "cold hard facts" are going to be mostly colloquial and are most likely to come from the designers themselves and the people who hired (and can vouch for) them. My idea probably gets you back to the beer-pong table quicker but may not actually fulfill your assignment in a way that satisfies your professor (or whomever). I agree that approaching from a factual angle probably is an easier sell to the faculty.

Good luck, though, your subject is interesting and underexplored, and hopefully that's worth something. Beats an over-tread topic any day. And worse comes to worst, I can think of more difficult articles to sell to a site or magazine than, "well-sourced examination of female board-game designers."

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

completely unexplored territory and about a subject matter literally no one in my department understood or thought was notable (granted Gender Studies isn't a huge department but whatever).

I wasn't sure if this sentence was going to end with "gender studies" or "game design".

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

Counterpoint: Ascension is fun, and good, while Dominion is dry as dogshit, and bad

Here's a fun, cheap way to get the Ascension thrill without buying a lot of expansions. Randomly tape numbers to Magic: The Gathering Cards, throw them into a pile, and take turns picking out cards with your friends. After all of the cards are gone, count the numbers. The player with the highest score is the winner.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

You have a strange concept of what is fun......and good......and dogshit.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

sector_corrector posted:

Here's a fun, cheap way to get the Ascension thrill without buying a lot of expansions. Randomly tape numbers to Magic: The Gathering Cards, throw them into a pile, and take turns picking out cards with your friends. After all of the cards are gone, count the numbers. The player with the highest score is the winner.

you could do this with like three decks of playing cards. i'll need to check with rutibex to make sure that there's no houserules, but i'm pretty sure this proxy would work.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The general point of the piece is less ethnographic "here's what women have done and that inclusiveness is inherently good" (which I'd argue it is but not in this piece, which is more aimed at people making hiring decisions in businesses rather than laypeople) and more a persuasive "here's the Cold Hard Facts about what women have done and these notable titles which spawned [genre/system/whatever] that is used today and that's why having more women in the field is worth investing in" thing.

Well, it's hard to top Elizabeth Magie's influence on the boardgame landscape.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Help me improve my board game vocabulary, please. I'm trying find a more concise way of saying "this game doesn't do much to discourage me from directing all of my attacks at Jeff instead of Carol even though they would both give me the same advantage, but Jeff made fun of my haircut yesterday so gently caress Jeff".

I would say that such a game is "political" but I'm not sure I'm using that term correctly or that others would understand it that way, especially when games can have a "political" theme about Roman senators or Cold War era diplomats or whatever. Is there a different way of saying it?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

"this game doesn't do much to discourage me from directing all of my attacks at Jeff instead of Carol even though they would both give me the same advantage, but Jeff made fun of my haircut yesterday so gently caress Jeff".

That's not an exact definition of "political" in boardgame design lingo, but it's functionally very similar. Games with political themes may or may not be political (eg. a co-op Roman Senate game could be all about politics as an idea, but be absolutely "non-political" from a game design sense).

To be exact: a multiplayer/multiteam (>2P or teams) game is political to the extent that you can choose to harm or benefit specific other players/teams. Some other factors may mute politics in practice in ways that go along with your wording (eg. in Tash Kalar deathmatch you won't normally keep attacking the same player because you won't need any more blue points), but, yeah, you've got the core idea.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Medium Style posted:

Help me improve my board game vocabulary, please. I'm trying find a more concise way of saying "this game doesn't do much to discourage me from directing all of my attacks at Jeff instead of Carol even though they would both give me the same advantage, but Jeff made fun of my haircut yesterday so gently caress Jeff".

I would say that such a game is "political" but I'm not sure I'm using that term correctly or that others would understand it that way, especially when games can have a "political" theme about Roman senators or Cold War era diplomats or whatever. Is there a different way of saying it?

I think "political" is good as long as you are clearly using it to explain the style of play rather than the theme, since themes can be all over the place and often have little to do with the actual gameplay. So Twilight Struggle is certainly about politics, but isn't really political since it is only a 2-player game. Maybe confrontational?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, the "politics" that are being referred to are the politics of the gaming group and not the theme of the game itself. Like jmzero said, it refers to the ability to help/hurt other players and even more specifically the discussions/reasoning for doing so. Like "Jim almost has the longest road, put the robber on one of his numbers!" type arguments.

"Kingmaker" is another term that might come in handy: this specifically refers to a situation in a multi-player game where you are functionally eliminated or extremely far behind, so you make decisions/actions based on who you want to win.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The term you might be looking for is 'spite-fueled gameplay'.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Spite fueled gameplay is pretty big with my regular crowd, we don't do a lot of things to do such pedestrian things as winning.

Although that is the dynamic of my group so I reign it in with others i haven't played with

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sector_corrector posted:

I will try this and then post really creepy pictures of my wife playing it on BGG

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

We had a player always demand to play Phase 10 even though everyone else hated it, so we started directing every skip at him.

I guess that's a certain type of self-correcting gameplay.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
In an upcoming game of Game of Thrones one of the other players is an MRA fuckwit and I fully intend on picking the most opportune time to backstab him into oblivion. Is there a term for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

In an upcoming game of Game of Thrones one of the other players is an MRA fuckwit and I fully intend on picking the most opportune time to backstab him into oblivion. Is there a term for that?

WJW (Westeros Justice Warrioring)