Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

kalel posted:

last week I discovered stardew valley and it's ruining my life

plants that grow on trellis's do not require you to build trellis's beforehand. you just like, grow em as normal. i wish i had known this, for hops.

stardew rules. i wonder how good the controller support is. i kind of divide games into "games i can play lying down with a controller" and "games that require me to sit and use a keyboard and mouse" and picking between the two is sometimes as granular as i get when finding something to play.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

I wonder what the world of gaming would look like if everyone used a controller to interact with their work computer. Controller support for excel.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
stardew owns on switch and I'll never go back to playing it on mouse and keyboard

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
trip report: i did not buy Kenshi. i spent my gaming money on a lecture about ~*mentalism*~

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Philippe

(she/her)

itry posted:

But, imo, it's barely a game.

Kenshi is a weird beast. It's like an Elder Scrolls game in scope (run around a huge designed world and pick up garbage, your skills improve as you use them), but there are no story, quests, or characters. There are factions and you can be sold into slavery and all that, but it's not systematized in a meaningful way, it's just there.

I think there's a good game in there, you just have to make your own fun. Your description "they made a map, got bored, and sprinkled in some NPCs and combat mechanics" is extremely apt. The Youtuber ambiguousamphibian has several Let's Plays of Kenshi if you want to see what it's like.

Farecoal

There he go
There's also the base building, and there's definitely some creative NPCs and areas of the world.

itry

Philippe posted:

Kenshi is a weird beast. It's like an Elder Scrolls game in scope (run around a huge designed world and pick up garbage, your skills improve as you use them), but there are no story, quests, or characters. There are factions and you can be sold into slavery and all that, but it's not systematized in a meaningful way, it's just there.

I think there's a good game in there, you just have to make your own fun. Your description "they made a map, got bored, and sprinkled in some NPCs and combat mechanics" is extremely apt. The Youtuber ambiguousamphibian has several Let's Plays of Kenshi if you want to see what it's like.

Basically it. All of the systems are "just there", as if discarded by the dev(s). The world itself is barely designed either, being just a collection of flat boring biomes.

ambiguousamphibian used w/e there is in there to make some amusing youtube clips, so I guess it's at least useful for that.

Edit: In the make-your-own-fun "genre", this wouldn't be in the top anything list.

Farecoal posted:

There's also the base building, and there's definitely some creative NPCs and areas of the world.

I just don't see that there's anything interesting in there :shrug:

Of course this is all imo and it appears like a lot of people do unironically enjoy Kenshi.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 2, 2023

Philippe

(she/her)

itry posted:

Edit: In the make-your-own-fun "genre", this wouldn't be in the top anything list.

It's like Rimworld didn't have any mechanics beyond "build shelter, go to other places and take their stuff by force or by trade".

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kenshi absolutely owns

itry posted:

calling your bluff here because if there are ten games in the “here’s a set of tools and a world to watch them interact in weird ways” genre that are better than kenshi I would love to know about them. rimworld and DF are up there, okay, toss another eight my way

kalel

I'm going to pause stardew for now because I want to progress the file I have with my girlfriend and I don't want to progress past it in single player

does anyone have any recs for ~comfy~ indie gaming on the switch. I'm getting braid cravings but I refuse to play it on PC because kbm is decidedly !not comfy!

really wish there was a switch port :(

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

kalel posted:

does anyone have any recs for ~comfy~ indie gaming on the switch. I'm getting braid cravings but I refuse to play it on PC because kbm is decidedly !not comfy!

graveyard keeper maybe?

Farecoal

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcHQgb_Ens

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

i just slammed my money down so friggin hard

itry

Rockman Reserve posted:

kenshi absolutely owns

calling your bluff here because if there are ten games in the “here’s a set of tools and a world to watch them interact in weird ways” genre that are better than kenshi I would love to know about them. rimworld and DF are up there, okay, toss another eight my way

Are there 8 GTA's already?

sb hermit

kalel posted:

I'm going to pause stardew for now because I want to progress the file I have with my girlfriend and I don't want to progress past it in single player

unpacking

sb hermit

kalel posted:

laid back camp - virtual - lake motosu

Ass-penny

I played New N Tasty all day and almost rescued all the mudokons.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

kalel

Dr. Honked posted:

graveyard keeper maybe?

sb hermit posted:

laid back camp - virtual - lake motosu

thx y'all. put em on the wishlist. I decided to start a new into the breach file so I could try the newer content

switch port of ftl would be extremely nice

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

kalel posted:

switch port of ftl would be extremely nice

gently caress yes it would

kalel

imho every game ever made must be ported to the switch

Twenty Four

Heather Papps posted:

stardew rules. i wonder how good the controller support is. i kind of divide games into "games i can play lying down with a controller" and "games that require me to sit and use a keyboard and mouse" and picking between the two is sometimes as granular as i get when finding something to play.

Sarah Cenia posted:

stardew owns on switch and I'll never go back to playing it on mouse and keyboard

Starting this by saying I have never played Stardew or even know what it really is so this doesn't really apply to that, however... Beyond fighting games and a few other types, there is very few times I would prefer to play with a controller than a mouse and keyboard, you can just do so much more. Funny enough, the game I have logged the most time playing in recent years is a beat-em-up brawler type game that is designed to be played via keyboard, hah.

First person shooters and real time strategy games are probably the ones that I just can't fathom using a controller for. I used to lead a pretty successful high ranked FPS clan back in the day, and was pretty good at least for the era, but I remember playing halo on the xbox for the first time and I felt like a stupid idiot child trying to aim and run around, just flailing around horribly and it still irritates me, I don't know how people stand it. Having something behind you and not being able to almost instantly do a 180 feels like it seriously limits my abilities. Not being able to near instantly aim right at something feels wrong, and auto aim is some BS for that type of stuff, IMO.

I actually still don't have a modern console or a controller for my pc. However, a friend of mine rebuilds old video game cartridges as a hobby and gave me a few games and a cheap $15 third party retro NES system as a present years ago and that kind of stuff definitely benefits from playing with a controller and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Finger Prince

I watched another couple of these vids and I kinda want to try out this Kenshi now...

Finger Prince

It was $15 on steam so I got it and have been playing it... I have no idea what's going on but I die an awful lot. I like the skeleton because you don't need to worry about food. I tried the guy with dog a couple of times, but there's no food anywhere around where he starts, and there's roving bands of warriors that kick the poo poo out of you. It's kinda neat though.

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps posted:

the new zelda comes out in like a hundred days, and while playing a bit of botw again in prep i came up with a really good, at least to my brain, reason for weapon durability in botw. link is clearly way stronger than a normal hylian. the boulder breaker description says that a big ol goron can swing it but a hylian would need an immense amount of strength to pick it up, and link swings it like any other two handed weapon.

weapons in botw don't break under normal use, but link is swinging them so hard that they do. you can block a moblin all day and i'm pretty sure his weapon will never break. i have not tested this.

this op

Farecoal

There he go
Hello EA when I first launch a game I would like to go into the main menu so I can change settings instead of being forced into a tutorial first thanks and god bless

Bobby Deluxe

all character creation things should have a mode where you can test out your creation in a couple of animations in different lighting, so you do not start the game and have to watch the opening cutscene only to find out your person looks like nigel thornberry again

Ass-penny

Bobby Deluxe posted:

all character creation things should have a mode where you can test out your creation in a couple of animations in different lighting, so you do not start the game and have to watch the opening cutscene only to find out your person looks like nigel thornberry again

stop giving characters mustaches op

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Finger Prince posted:

It was $15 on steam so I got it and have been playing it... I have no idea what's going on but I die an awful lot. I like the skeleton because you don't need to worry about food. I tried the guy with dog a couple of times, but there's no food anywhere around where he starts, and there's roving bands of warriors that kick the poo poo out of you. It's kinda neat though.

i tried it too. i found that hanging out in towns is good to start with, because raiders will come by and have a fight, and you can take their stuff. you can also build your strength by picking up dead/dying dudes and running around with them over your shoulder. running away from everyone is the thing to do to start. i tried a bit of mining and it's slow at first. a very bamboozling and grindy game, but also fun in a weird emergent way. i hear that there are places where they have training dummies so you can get your fight skills up a bit, i'm currently trying to find them.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Farecoal posted:

Hello EA when I first launch a game I would like to go into the main menu so I can change settings instead of being forced into a tutorial first thanks and god bless

yes!!!!!! let me flip the goddam y axis you shitgobbling poltroons. gently caress

Bobby Deluxe

rear end-penny posted:

stop giving characters mustaches op
no

Farecoal

There he go

Dr. Honked posted:

yes!!!!!! let me flip the goddam y axis you shitgobbling poltroons. gently caress

Well at least for Battlefield 2042 they let you change control and accessibility settings before the forced tutorial. I was thinking more graphical and audio options

Bobby Deluxe

subtitles especially, give me the subtitle options before the intro cutscene if you expect me to pay any attention to what the little men are saying

Ass-penny

Bobby Deluxe posted:

subtitles especially, give me the subtitle options before the intro cutscene if you expect me to pay any attention to what the little men are saying

that's real

Emo Szyslak

inverted y axis supremacy

Ass-penny

I like my y axis like I like my coffee, black, and not inverted. (unless I'm tipping it in my mouth)

Ass-penny

the y axis can have like a quart turn, but not a full inversion, as a treat

sb hermit

Scuba Trooper posted:

inverted y axis supremacy

kalel

there should be a word for "a false memory of a game having been ported to the switch." I have gone to look for games I thought I purchased in my switch library, only to realize they don't even have a port, a non-zero number of times

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

kalel posted:

there should be a word for "a false memory of a game having been ported to the switch." I have gone to look for games I thought I purchased in my switch library, only to realize they don't even have a port, a non-zero number of times

i have the opposite problem - i see games that i've been wanting for ages, go to buy them, and discover that i already have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

that happened to me with borderlands 3, apparently i bought the deluxe version with all the season passes at some point and just never played it?