Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yes the only ethical way to buy clothes is to have personally nursed the lamb from which your fair trade organic vegan cashmere sweater was knitted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PT6A posted:

I'm with CI on this one: gently caress Uber, but gently caress taxi companies even harder.

gently caress them both equally but in a different fashion commensurate with their particular brand of poo poo.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Professor Shark posted:

They're angry that the CBC has banned comments on any story that involves First Nations, they have to use their real names, and comments are disabled on more stories, so commenters cannot just be racist shitheads like they were before.

p. sure that all of those things would significantly improve the discourse here too.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

They're apparently too dumb to realize that the whole point of the "icing" exercise is the fact that Smirnoff Ice sold in the U.S. is a brewed beverage that contains no vodka and is therefore even shittier.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Uber is good because I pay less and the car smells nice(less foreigners), who cares if the drivers are essentially losing money, free market bitches. :downs:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

namaste faggots posted:

yes the only ethical way to buy clothes is to have personally nursed the lamb from which your fair trade organic vegan cashmere sweater was knitted

Nice try, cashmere comes from goats.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why is it my problem if your business model is bullshit

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Oakland Martini posted:

This is fair. I wouldn't mind if Uber provided an option to schedule a ride in the future at a fare determined in the present. I think they've been hesitant to do that. Of course, you can always schedule a ride with a conventional cab company....

I shall corner the market in ridesharing futures.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Imagine a dystopian future where all jobs are crowdsourced via apps and we are all working for pennies on the dollar, stomping on each other for a piece of that sweet sweet free market

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sounds like a lovely business plan to me. Not my loving problem

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
"The thing that scares me about all these newfangled computers is that they're going to put the sliderule industry out of business."

-- You guys, constantly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

namaste faggots posted:

Sounds like a lovely business plan to me. Not my loving problem

He laughs at precariously employed wage slaves overextending their credit as they fight each other for pennies because there's no other way for them to live.

"Not my problem" he says, just before being lynched for his shoes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well maybe you should think twice about paying for a ba in gender studies

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

"The thing that scares me about all these newfangled computers is that they're going to put the sliderule industry out of business."

-- You guys, constantly

A lot of hot takes for somebody who has supposedly been posting here for five days. :rolleyes:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

-- You guys, constantly

Yes, it is clearly the end of history, and all the social and labour problems of the past no longer exist because of the mighty app.

Perhaps the lessons of last 50 years of neoliberal economics no longer hold true now that smart phones exist.

Maybe this time, forcing people to race to the bottom for scraps will improve their living conditions and raise their spending power, in direct opposition to what it has done in literally every other case, ever, since the beginning of recorded history, because computers, and the internet, you see.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Today we pour one out for the lamplighters, the chimney sweeps, and the dudes who used to knock on the windows of Victorian houses to make sure people woke up on time.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Also blockbuster employees

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

infernal machines posted:

Yes, it is clearly the end of history, and all the social and labour problems of the past no longer exist because of the mighty app.

Perhaps the lessons of last 50 years of neoliberal economics no longer hold true now that smart phones exist.

Maybe this time, forcing people to race to the bottom for scraps will improve their living conditions and raise their spending power, in direct opposition to what it has done in literally every other case, ever, since the beginning of recorded history, because computers, and the internet, you see.

Obviously. I mean, when has technological progress ever contributed to the decline of working conditions? :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

Well maybe you should think twice about paying for a ba in gender studies

"Caveat Emptor" he whispers with his final breath, as the blood dribbles down his lips.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, the advancements in technology that is People Driving Other People Around In Cars is definitely the issue here, not rear end in a top hat Company Dodging Regulation And Lobbying For Regressive poo poo.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Speak for yourself, I'm mad as hell that radio replaced the town crier.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

There's just no community anymore. Big Radio comes in, replaces the little guy, who depends on the job. Now we've got all of these out-of-towners telling us how to think.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm mad as hell that radio replaced the town crier.

What the gently caress are you even talking about at this point?

What is the technological innovation that you think we're decrying here?

Ordering a car for hire by means of a telephone? Uber's use of an app is not what's wrong with Uber's business model.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
so I'm a full time job having poor person and don't own a car, but sometimes A Thing happens where I need a motor vehicle to transport me from a place to a different place. A taxi from one side of ottawa to the other costs me literally half a days wages, but an uber can get me pretty much anywhere I need to go for under twenty bucks and that's A Supremely Good Thing for someone like me who isn't a capitalist parasite profiting off the labor of those less fortunate than me so like, I guess I'm pretty pro uber because it makes my life work? Anyway peace out I have to go back to my job

BTW gently caress canada

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

There's just no community anymore. Big Radio comes in, replaces the little guy, who depends on the job. Now we've got all of these out-of-towners telling us how to think.

What the gently caress are you even going on about?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lol if youre expecting hal to make sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sliderule posted:

Yes, the advancements in technology that is People Driving Other People Around In Cars is definitely the issue here, not rear end in a top hat Company Dodging Regulation And Lobbying For Regressive poo poo.

Indeed, it has been possible to hire an unlicensed cab by telephone for over 100 years. That aspect of the business is perhaps less novel than Uber would have you believe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Indeed, it has been possible to hire an unlicensed cab by telephone for over 100 years. That aspect of the business is perhaps less novel than Uber would have you believe.

Unlike Uber, it's also possible to hail one on the street occasionally. I've done it!

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

The time between Uber starting operation in Canada (Sept 2014) and regulation coming into force in municipalities that have their act together (Toronto - July 2016, Edmonton - March 2016) is pretty minimal. Regulatory initiatives typically take far longer to come to fruition.

Before Uber exploded, there were probably 3 people in Toronto's city hall that understood what ridesharing was. Waiting on government to develop a regulatory framework for a commercial offering that doesn't yet exist (e.g. ridesharing in 2013) is a mug's game - Uber never would have been able to enter the market if it had to wait on municipal officials to develop regulations of their own volition.

Shady lobbying or no, all of these sharing economy things are going to be heavily regulated by responsible authorities inside a few years.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

ridesharing

sharing economy

Exactly what part of "pay for a driver to pick you up and drop you off somewhere else" is sharing, exactly?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The part where it lets you play gold-fringed true name silly buggers with the courts so they don't immediately shut you down for running an illegal jitney dispatch.

And it sounds better during investor story time, so you can inflate your otherwise unexceptional dispatch service to beyond the value of the entire worldwide livery market.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 11, 2016

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

sliderule posted:

Exactly what part of "pay for a driver to pick you up and drop you off somewhere else" is sharing, exactly?

I appreciate trying for the cheap shot, but the "sharing economy" is a pretty well understood phenomenon.

• http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/business/sharingeconomy/
  • http://www.occ.ca/portfolio/harnessing-the-power-of-the-sharing-economy
  • http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21573104-internet-everything-hire-rise-sharing-economy
  • http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-chamber-of-commerce-urges-policies-for-sharing-economy/article30363273/
  • http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-liberal-party-convention-couillard-1.3583287

In terms of things that actually matter, we now have a FTA with Ukraine.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You use ridesharing like it's some original idea that Uber came up with and not just something they co-opted and twisted to skirt existing regulation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
the sharing economy is cool but that's not what uber is

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

And now municipalities are rolling out regulation in response to the explosion in demand and usage, so problem solved I guess?

Maybe we could start a Royal Commission and really get to the root of things.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

And now municipalities are rolling out regulation in response to the explosion in demand and usage, so problem solved I guess?

Sure, once we either classify UberX drivers as employees, with all the attendant benefits, or Uber is mandated to allow each driver to set their own rates, as contractors do.

That's really the only issue left now that we've accepted jitneys are fine again.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Will you idiots please stop arguing with a Hal parachute account and noted racist, classist bigot blah_blah on every page for the love of all that is holy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hal_2005 posted:

In your own words explain how markets clear.

Often they don't clear, which is why unemployment is a persistent issue and grocery stores regularly throw out unsold produce. Of course what you're really asking is for me to explicate a theory which explains how "markets" (apparently being treated here as some kind of undifferentiated blob with no relevant distinguishing characteristics between, say, banking and agriculture) work or fail to work.

And I gather, based on your posting history and your allusion to the idea of a market clearing price, that you think the appropriate intellectual move here is to insert a cute just-so story about a non-specific, generic and highly abstract "market" with prices that -- according to the assumptions of the model -- adjust rapidly so that supply matches demand. And then, based on these assumptions, we'll use deductive reasoning to describe how markets supposedly work. Since deriving a theory about the modern economy based on first principles doesn't yield a usable picture of reality on its own we'll then have to introduce various "frictions" preventing the all-mighty price mechanism from adjusting, and we'll debate stuff like sticky prices and information asymmetries.

If you want to take that approach then you can go ahead and justify it first. Or you can find a way to phrase your question so that it's specifically targeting a real world phenomenon and isn't coached in a lot of autistic abstractions about generic "markets" that are already assumed to "clear" when supply and demand match.

quote:

Follow up question:
Do you believe good quality labor should be rewarded for their efforts ?

I feel like this must have been a much tougher or more incisive question when you framed it in your mind but the way you've phrased it makes it so generic that it's hard to disagree with. Believing that "quality labour" should be "rewarded for [it's] efforts" is a rather banal statement that leaves unsaid how we define "quality labour" or what a reasonable "reward" for said efforts would be.

I'm sure a Dickensian factory manager, Soviet commissar or plantation slave driver would all say their workers are getting a "just reward", as they see it. The finance guys who drove the US economy off a cliff also thought they were getting rewarded justly, though others disagreed. Turns out there is a wide diversity of opinion on what exactly a just reward looks like.

quote:

Remember, left of center populists believe in rewarding labors productivity gains to promote social stability. Keen to hear your response Helsing.

Excuse me professor but will there be any extra credit questions on the exam?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Truly, we're watching a great mind at work here. Marvel at the consistency of their arguments.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Congratulations comrade, your defense of the planned economy has resulted in you being rewarded with an additional 0.5 rides this quarter.

Protip. Reducing the cost of goods and services is a net positive for economically disadvantaged individuals. Poor people have access to a wide swathe of consumer goods that even ten years ago were relegated to the wealthy.

Yesterday: "Any regulation of industry is tantamount to communism."

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

The time between Uber starting operation in Canada (Sept 2014) and regulation coming into force in municipalities that have their act together (Toronto - July 2016, Edmonton - March 2016) is pretty minimal. Regulatory initiatives typically take far longer to come to fruition.

Before Uber exploded, there were probably 3 people in Toronto's city hall that understood what ridesharing was. Waiting on government to develop a regulatory framework for a commercial offering that doesn't yet exist (e.g. ridesharing in 2013) is a mug's game - Uber never would have been able to enter the market if it had to wait on municipal officials to develop regulations of their own volition.

Shady lobbying or no, all of these sharing economy things are going to be heavily regulated by responsible authorities inside a few years.

Today: "Don't worry, there will be plenty of regulations over this industry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

namaste faggots posted:

but enough about real estate in Canada