Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/944269351179440128

Tomb World starts confirmed! Kinda hoping it’s a start-locked civic.

turn off the TV posted:

I want to play as a race with a tomb world preference that goes around glassing planets and then settling them.

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Oh yeah?? Well he fixed mine first!!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wiz pplease fix transport names it's killing me

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Soup du Jour posted:

I wonder if crazy planet starts is going to be the theme of whatever DLC drops alongside Cherryh? Like, it'd be cool if that was just included in the base patch, but that seems like the kinda thing they've dropped dedicated DLC for in the past.

If I'm right about that, here's hoping we get things like aquatics and stuff too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just researched synthetics and yet my droid population has not upgraded.

Edit: Nevermind. It just took some for it to actually process.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 22, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Soup du Jour posted:

I know it's been suggested by others before, but I wish there was a seperate category from civics called something like "origins" to contain the civics which are unchangeable, with everyone getting one.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Psycho Landlord posted:

Why do you always assume incompetence from paradox, shadowlyger? Did the jump nerf really hurt you so?

Well I'm not going to assume competence from a company that makes basic movement in their game feel like total garbage.

Like, every other change is great, but if moving in your game is poo poo, then the rest of your game is poo poo.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Nevets posted:

Armies don't need to impact the space fight: the whole point of fighting in space is to make ground invasions possible, not the other way around. Ground invasions are the way to capture planets, and capturing planets is the reason you go to war most of the time anyway.

If that's true then armies should be removed from the game, because you've already won the battle at the point where you're invading the planet.

Ships can bombard armies and armies can only sit helplessly, so if you dominate in space you must also dominate on the ground. In theory your opponent could put up a defense but it's not going to be worth it. That is the situation in the current game where invading is just a mandatory chore.

Either orbital bombardment should go, armies should go, or armies should be able to shoot at ships shooting at them.

e: I suppose they influence the fight through war weariness but that's tenuous.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 23, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I forget all of what's been implied by past dev diaries, but an interesting possibility is if there's a strategic difference between just taking a system's outpost and fully capturing the system plus all inhabited bodies. You could ignore ground combat but it might for various reasons make the overall war effort harder or mean forgoing opportunities in the peace. Just sticking FTL inhibitors on planets seems like a very blunt way of providing such a distinction.

eta: I guess what I am going for here is that capturing planets is something I think there should be a strong positive (you gain something very useful) rather than negative (you can't leave until you do it) incentive for. Which means that investing in defensive armies is more useful for denying benefits to an opponent than for guarding specific worlds with some kind of strategic gimmick (FTL inhibitor).

There is a strategic difference. If you only capture the outpost, you only get the outpost (it's not clear whether you get control of it or just deny use of it to the enemy) and inflict some war exhaustion. If you capture the outpost and all the planets, then the entire system and all the stations in it temporarily flip to your control (not sure about the planets), and you inflict more war exhaustion.

Thing is, knocking out the outpost is what's important there. The planet's not going anywhere and it's not really doing anything. It can't spit out more ships - that's the outpost's job. It can't build anti-fleet defenses - that's the outpost's job. As long as you have space supremacy, it's a helpless target that you can come back and hit at any time, and the attacker can build assault armies faster than the planet can build defenses. It's the same problem that exists now - the planet doesn't really play a role in war, you just plant your flag in the dirt there to confirm a victory you've already won in the skies. Cherryh will improve this in a lot of ways, in that it'll be harder to attain total and global space supremacy, but the fundamental issue is still there.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The devlog itself states that the resource consumed by a naval bombardment is time - reducing a fortified planet will require a lengthy commitment of naval assets that will limit your resources if the rest of the war is contested (and, remembering that several other mechanics are being changed such that wars are no longer decided entirely by the first meeting of the doomstacks, it will be less likely that you can afford to park a fleet in orbit over a fortress world for a full year).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

With disengagement wars will be more holistic. Unless you totally overpower them in space, racking up war exhaustion in ground battles will be pretty important, as their fleet will keep turning back up to challenge yours. It also means an attacking empire will need to spend a lot of minerals on high quality attack armies, but the same is not the case for an empire fighting defensively. Although that probably tops out, since one stack of high quality brahs should dominate even fortress worlds.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
imagine being able to contact primitive civilisations through your science ships, imagine that like star trek your science ship crews gets to meet the various leaders of the primitive civilization, how do you go from there? do you follow something like the prime directive and just talk to them, but do little to change their trajectory as a species, even if they're now aware of your species? or if you're spiritual you try to proselytize to them and convert them to your religion, or make them think you're gods or something. i'd like to see the events we can get just out of contacting primitive species, just this one thing would add so much context and flavour to the game. our science ship leaders can have little star trek like adventures with these primitive species, and just loving around on primitive worlds learning about their alien culture and influencing them (or not) however you want.

that means primitive cultures should be a lot more fleshed out, there should be like nations within the pop screen showing that these civilizations are divided, so like if you go to primitive earth there'll be pops with different citizenships and different armies on the army screen belonging to different primitive world nations, kingdoms etc. maybe the different armies can fight each other, giving you scope for backing one nation against all others by giving them some of your tech or whatever and poo poo like that. a primitive species dlc would be very interesting to me just because i'd love the little star trek like stories you can generate just from interacting with them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I want to like that idea. I'm imagining two empires each backing a different nation or power bloc on a primitive world. But it's hard to see it as compatible with the fact-of-life that only one empire owns the system that a primitive world is in.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Main Paineframe posted:

There is a strategic difference. If you only capture the outpost, you only get the outpost (it's not clear whether you get control of it or just deny use of it to the enemy) and inflict some war exhaustion. If you capture the outpost and all the planets, then the entire system and all the stations in it temporarily flip to your control (not sure about the planets), and you inflict more war exhaustion.

Thing is, knocking out the outpost is what's important there. The planet's not going anywhere and it's not really doing anything. It can't spit out more ships - that's the outpost's job. It can't build anti-fleet defenses - that's the outpost's job. As long as you have space supremacy, it's a helpless target that you can come back and hit at any time, and the attacker can build assault armies faster than the planet can build defenses. It's the same problem that exists now - the planet doesn't really play a role in war, you just plant your flag in the dirt there to confirm a victory you've already won in the skies. Cherryh will improve this in a lot of ways, in that it'll be harder to attain total and global space supremacy, but the fundamental issue is still there.

Except for the part where there's an FTL inhibitor on the planet and you can't get past the system until you take it. So now you either have to commit a lot of war effort in armies to take that planet, or sit your fleet there for ages bombing it down - either one is significant gain for the defender (for a long term economic loss). Armies will (if everything works properly) be war-winning pieces, for both sides of the fight, instead of busywork you throw at things when you've already won in the place that matters (space) or at planets that don't like you (unrest).

Of course that depends on you getting good chokepoints - hopefully the AI will properly recognise those, because they look to be incredibly important in 2.0.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 23, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Main Paineframe posted:

the planet doesn't really play a role in war, you just plant your flag in the dirt there to confirm a victory you've already won in the skies. Cherryh will improve this in a lot of ways, in that it'll be harder to attain total and global space supremacy, but the fundamental issue is still there.

DatonKallandor posted:

Except for the part where there's an FTL inhibitor on the planet and you can't get past the system until you take it.

Seriously. You don't seem to be wrapping your head around "Cannot move past heavily fortified planet without taking it with armies or spending years leveling it because it has an FTL inhibitor on it." That is why Armies are important. That is why taking a fortified system is a two-step process that cannot be handled solely by your fleet without a massive investment of time and ships as they bombard it. Fortified worlds buy time for defenders and cost resources for attackers. They play a giant role in warfare if you get an effective chokepoint, just like a starbase. You can't claim starbases are effective bulwarks and then turn around and say planets are not.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 23, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I mean yeah sure if the numbers are all wrong (if bombarding is too fast for example) then nothing will change. But that's a strange thing to assume and certainly not a reason to say the system doesn't work on a design level.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Fututor Magnus posted:

a primitive species dlc would be very interesting to me just because i'd love the little star trek like stories you can generate just from interacting with them.

I imagine that update will probably be titled Roddenberry or Brin.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

MilkmanLuke posted:

I imagine that update will probably be titled Roddenberry or Brin.

Butler. :getin:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Reveilled posted:

I know it's been suggested by others before, but I wish there was a seperate category from civics called something like "origins" to contain the civics which are unchangeable, with everyone getting one.

I would be totally down for that. It would really help for adding flavour while allowing you to keep the robotics/two species/whatever starts.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
In addition to having to take a planet with a FTL inhibitor on it, you'll actually get its resource output in Cherryh if you occupy all planets in the system, right? That's a decent incentive to take well-developed planets.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
One of the other coolnesses to FTL Inhibitor fortress worlds is the Defense In Depth fleet retreat policy, you know, the one that makes your ships warp out if the hull paint gets scratched.

Send your fleet in to fight a superior enemy fleet that's sieging down your fortress world. They're on No Retreat so their fleet is brutal in combat but your fleet is now able to effectively raid and skirmish against it.

You kill a few ships and then automatically warp back to a drydock to repair. They continue the bombardment. You warp back in and skirmish again.

I think that's a really awesome new defensive strategy that just became viable.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times before but what are some absolutely basic newbie tips and tricks that I'm missing? I'm not a stranger to paradox mapgames, it's just quite different from previous ones I've played.

I started as Space UN, because why not?

1. I've been boxed in by two rivals and can't expand any more. They have mutual defence agreements, although I beat one of them before on their own, the other is superior to me. Can I make them have a bust-up? I think if that was the case, I could solo the weaker empire. But at the same time, this isn't playing to my strengths as an egalitarian federalist or whatever?

2. I have a single fleet, mostly destroyers, at ~50 years in. Is this too little? Is combat just a question of more = better than?

3. Due to the boxing in, I've run out of even mediocre planets to colonise. Is going "tall" viable?

4. Sectors, which the tutorial says are Cool and Good, are in fact poo poo and bad IMO. My "managed" planets are far behind other contemporary colonies, just because the AI doesn't seem to do much with them. Had to manually build spaceports etc to bring them up to scratch.

What gives?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

gently caress transport ships. Lemme ferry my troops on my battleships. :argh:
Yes! No microing around transport ships. No freaking modules taking up space and losing a lot of combat prowess which means you just reinvented transports except more steps involved in making them.

Imperium Galactia 2 did it right (never played the first game). All ships could carry troops (bigger ships could carry more) and you could add modules instead of something better for extra space if you wanted but as far as I could tell it was pointless when you could just add another good ship instead.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Vlex posted:

I'm sure this has been asked tons of times before but what are some absolutely basic newbie tips and tricks that I'm missing? I'm not a stranger to paradox mapgames, it's just quite different from previous ones I've played.

I started as Space UN, because why not?

1. I've been boxed in by two rivals and can't expand any more. They have mutual defence agreements, although I beat one of them before on their own, the other is superior to me. Can I make them have a bust-up? I think if that was the case, I could solo the weaker empire. But at the same time, this isn't playing to my strengths as an egalitarian federalist or whatever?

2. I have a single fleet, mostly destroyers, at ~50 years in. Is this too little? Is combat just a question of more = better than?

3. Due to the boxing in, I've run out of even mediocre planets to colonise. Is going "tall" viable?

4. Sectors, which the tutorial says are Cool and Good, are in fact poo poo and bad IMO. My "managed" planets are far behind other contemporary colonies, just because the AI doesn't seem to do much with them. Had to manually build spaceports etc to bring them up to scratch.

What gives?

1. You can't make other empires hate each other, but you *can* buddy up to one of the empires by doing things like guaranteeing their independence and no longer rivalling them. If you do this intensively enough, eventually their view will change. This works best if you have Diplomacy traditions for the boost to trust cap.

2. Aim for cruisers asap. Combat is largely more=better, but there's lots of subtlety around design that can trip you up. Make sure you've got point defence on your destroyers and that you're running kinetics for preference.

3. Going tall is totally viable - see the one planet strategy guides out there. However, if you've already got pretty wide (i.e beyond around 5 planets), then your options are limited to going Voidbourne and spamming habitats.

4. Have you been giving your sectors enough minerals to build things?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Apparently this is a thing:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/944523747956051969

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yes, sectors work fine, but they only have the mineral and energy pool they have access to. AI in fact loves building spaceports, although not spaceport modules for some reason. They'll also build a defense station next to the starport if they have enough minerals.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vlex posted:

What gives?

They probably don't have enough resources to build anything. Sectors have internal stockpiles of resources that they use to construct and maintain their buildings, you can see how much they're generating from the sector overview menu. Also, even if they have enough resources they'll still only build up to three or so items at a time. You're probably better off putting your already built up planets into sectors first, as counterintuitive as that may seem.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This is cute, but given the scale of the game the last thing I'm looking for is more greebly little statistics to keep track of.

At least it sounds like this one will mostly be negligible except maybe for a handful of elite armies you actually care about.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Any chance they're going to add zoom bindings? Currently you can only scroll with a scroll wheel, which is limiting on a laptop.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Voyager I posted:

This is cute, but given the scale of the game the last thing I'm looking for is more greebly little statistics to keep track of.

At least it sounds like this one will mostly be negligible except maybe for a handful of elite armies you actually care about.

Odds are you won't have a million armies flying around anymore, because you have to pay for them, and because combat width means you don't get any benefit from having a giant army stack. An integration into the fleet manager would cut into many-army syndrome even more, because you won't even be building armies by hand to replace losses either. Your armies will probably be very similar to fleets - you have a specific composition, with a general that you somewhat care about and carry from fight to fight.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how much decadence should I wait for an Awakening empire to have before I rebel against them?

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Hunt11 posted:

So how much decadence should I wait for an Awakening empire to have before I rebel against them?

They cap at having a 75% malus, so wait untill then unless you cant take them before.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psycho Landlord posted:

Seriously. You don't seem to be wrapping your head around "Cannot move past heavily fortified planet without taking it with armies or spending years leveling it because it has an FTL inhibitor on it." That is why Armies are important. That is why taking a fortified system is a two-step process that cannot be handled solely by your fleet without a massive investment of time and ships as they bombard it. Fortified worlds buy time for defenders and cost resources for attackers. They play a giant role in warfare if you get an effective chokepoint, just like a starbase. You can't claim starbases are effective bulwarks and then turn around and say planets are not.

It looks like fortified planets cost some measure of three resources to deal with:

War Exhaustion: inexpensive armies can still win an invasion through sheer weight of numbers, but the addition of combat width and other supporting tweaks mean they will take substantial losses and sap your empire's commitment to the conflict. I imagine the details depend largely on what kind of empire you are, but the gist of it is that your people have a limited stomach for wave tactics.

Conventional Materiel: Elite armies can take a planet without appalling losses, but they are expensive and require dedicated research to unlock. This means that the ability to launch effective ground invasions will require a meaningful investment on the part of your empire.

Time: A fleet in orbit can safely bombard the planet and essentially put it to siege, but it's committing a fleet to a lengthy operation and if the planet is a border chokepoint then it's also delaying the rest of your campaign.

The sum of all this is that if you want to wage effective wars of conquest, you are probably going to need to invest in ground troops.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Just skimmed over the last twenty pages or so. As usual, I assume we have no real idea when Cheryl and/or Carol will be released?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Just skimmed over the last twenty pages or so. As usual, I assume we have no real idea when Cheryl and/or Carol will be released?

Supposed to be next week. God knows

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Supposed to be next week. God knows

The new Dev Diary says the next one is not until the 11th. I do not think it is going to come out before that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless someone were to break into their office to upload it early. :ninja:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's coming out tomorrow, people. It's a Christmas miracle!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Would love to see 2.0 go open Beta for a bit. Seems like it should be pretty good for the game.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

Wiz said next week like last page. Jesus, read the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gyshall posted:

Would love to see 2.0 go open Beta for a bit. Seems like it should be pretty good for the game.
Didn't you get the steam code?

• Locked thread