Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not really a car buff, so I'm asking just out of curiosity, but I've seen people express some very unfavourable opinions about their motors when compared to Porsche. Any opinion on that yourself?

Casnorf posted:

I owned a Porsche for a while and can attest to how stupidly well-balanced their engines are. It's almost unfair. That being said if anything does go wrong it'll probably be catastrophic, but the same could be said of any higher-end manufacturer.

The big thing is that there's a perception that Ferraris are garage queens and Porsches are intended for daily driving. And any engine you use regularly is gonna work its kinks out quick.

I dont have any personal experience with Porsches so I cant really give an adequate answer. If it's a question of engine balance, a Ferrari flat-plane V8 is inherently very vibrate-y but it's also quintessential to the brand. As far as engine longevity and durability is concerned, Ferrari does compete in endurance sports car racing so the engines are heavily tested in those sorts of conditions even if most customers barely drive their cars

The thing about these super car brands is that for most people who own them they are heavily invested in the brand as a personal outward statement so anything they have to say about them is bunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I ever became a rich guy, my dream would be to buy a lamborghini without any experience driving one and then accidentally slam it into a concrete median 1/4 mile away from the dealership.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

just like the Tim Rogers story in his tokimemo review...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I ever became a rich guy, it'd be nice not waking up with the feeling of a noose around my neck

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Danganronpa Trilogy out of print? I see copies are selling for like $200 or so.

It got pulled from PSN because the rights changed hands but I think it went back up, they probably just didn't print many physical copies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This game makes me regret all the times I said From games were mean because this game is ACTUALLY loving mean lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

Oh it is a very goofy 90s TV show called Due South.

I remember that show!! It was explicitly created to copy the success of Northern Exposure and it was pretty decent!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

fridge corn posted:

I dont have any personal experience with Porsches so I cant really give an adequate answer. If it's a question of engine balance, a Ferrari flat-plane V8 is inherently very vibrate-y but it's also quintessential to the brand. As far as engine longevity and durability is concerned, Ferrari does compete in endurance sports car racing so the engines are heavily tested in those sorts of conditions even if most customers barely drive their cars

The thing about these super car brands is that for most people who own them they are heavily invested in the brand as a personal outward statement so anything they have to say about them is bunk
Fair enough! You just seemed like the guy to ask since you might have actually had some first-hand experience with both types of car.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Finally!

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1354509739854622724?s=19

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
games aren't real anymore, only the stock market and meme stocks. we're out here making moeny

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

If I ever became a rich guy, it'd be nice not waking up with the feeling of a noose around my neck

I'd never stay rich for very long. I give money away to an embarrassing degree. A couple days ago I needed a beer very badly after a particularly depressing client and the only place around was a Hooters.

I felt so bad that those girls have to basically work in underwear and there were creepy old dudes touching them and stuff, my beer was $3 and I just left a ten dollar bill because they only make $2.37 an hour because America is completely insane

If I ever had a lot of money I'd probably go around paying random people's rent or something

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bows1 posted:

games aren't real anymore, only the stock market and meme stocks. we're out here making moeny

its just grinding. and at the end after you beat the five billionaires you unlock your 4th moveset!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

which one is julia fox in all this tho

my wife

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

That's an amazing lineup for me. Can't wait to finally try out Control!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vary niiice!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Apathetic Artist posted:

That's an amazing lineup for me. Can't wait to finally try out Control!

I love it when my stubborn refusal to buy the game everyone raves about is justified by it coming to PS plus lol

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I love it when my stubborn refusal to buy the game everyone raves about is justified by it coming to PS plus lol

I was so close to buying it too, but then the controversy with the ps5 upgrade happened and I held off. I never expected they'd just give it to us a few months later!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's 2 months in a row where not only do I not own the PS plus games, but have some level of interest in all of them. I used to have Control but sold the disc. I'm curious enough to give it a replay with better performance and the DLC though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hell yeah, a month with a neat-looking art game I was never gonna actually buy and a legit AAA game that I was already considering buying. This partially makes up for me buying Greedfall when it was on sale then setting it aside until it was free on PS+ anyway like a dumbass :toot:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Nice, definitely going to finally play Control. It's available on Game Pass but I'd rather play it on PS5.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Okay I picked up Infinite Warfare for 10 bucks at a little game store this morning and uh

What the gently caress this is legitimately a fantastic single player campaign. I've played most of the CoD single player campaigns and they're usually... fine, big popcorn stuff, but this one is like... really good.

And it sold like poo poo so they'll never try something like it again lmao

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have made a thread about the Gamestop stocks situation.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m so bad at that attack+down thing to bounce in Hollow Knight haha. it’s really finicky!

good news, if you keep playing you'll be doing this a LOT

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Volte posted:

Nice, definitely going to finally play Control. It's available on Game Pass but I'd rather play it on PS5.
Yeah the GamePass version has no DLC which continues the story

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All this talk about gamestop got me thinking. Physical media and game trades are still a pretty big thing. Gamestop is the last place around that you can actually just walk in and trade a game in/buy used games without selling online in some capacity. I wonder if they go under if it would just make selling games more difficult, ir if it would mark a possible return for independent second hand game shops.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

All this talk about gamestop got me thinking. Physical media and game trades are still a pretty big thing.

Gamestop is at death's door in the first place because this doesn't seem to be actually true

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Gamestop is the last place around that you can actually just walk in and trade a game in/buy used games without selling online in some capacity.

CEX are big in the UK and Europe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gamestop is the new arasaka. wake the gently caress up samurais.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If physical media could be delivered via tubes like it was in retro-future depictions of 2020 domestic life, then it wouldn't be on the verge of death.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If physical media could be delivered via tubes like it was in retro-future depictions of 2020 domestic life, then it wouldn't be on the verge of death.

Corona-tubes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

if only we could buy trade and sell used games on the internet... a kind of electronic bay if you will

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

fridge corn posted:

All of this is also true. I'm coming at it from a guy who liked driving his fun car, and so I ran into far fewer problems on the regular because I was necessarily maintaining it. That also meant I knew when I was pushing its limits and when things did or did not sound right. That contributes heavily to a sense of reliability even if the absolute value of that reliability was lower than any other given car.

That being said I still get a big ol' stupid happy grin on my face when I hear that flat-8 out in the world.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

Gamestop is at death's door in the first place because this doesn't seem to be actually true

Or maybe they are at death's door because of years of customer/employee dissatisfaction. All I'm saying is that each town has to have some sort of market for buying/selling games and since Gamestop killed all of the small shops, if they go under there will be absolutely no competition, which might actually leave some room for a small shop or two in each city to do well, especially if they go back to the pre-gamestop standard of selling used games for more than $5 off the sticker price.

Vikar Jerome posted:

if only we could buy trade and sell used games on the internet... a kind of electronic bay if you will

Ebay is a massive hassle compared to walking into a store for 5 minutes though. Not everyone wants to deal with it when pawning their old crap.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 27, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

CEX are big in the UK and Europe.
I don't think I've ever even heard of that before, so it's definitely not big in all parts of Europe, or at least certainly not in Germany.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Paying somebody else to deal with the hassle of scams and poo poo is exactly why gamestop exists today. I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks that's soon to be a large void in the market, but to be fair you don't go into the games business to make a lot of money.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
selling games on ebay is the worst, when my ps4 died i shipped a fair few games on and i'd get inundated with offers from people undercutting the listing price by £1-£2 quid, i mean its fair enough but when you have like 20 listings on there and multiple people are messaging you to try and save 50p on death stranding it gets quite tiresome

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i'll sell you my copy of todd howards cyberpunk 2077 for 300 bucks. its a physical only game, no digital copies exist. good deal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'll sell you my copy of todd howards cyberpunk 2077 for 300 bucks. its a physical only game, no digital copies exist. good deal.

#CYP stocks going to the moon 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Physical game retail has been in decline for years. That's why we're not talking about EBGames, Babbages, etc -- there has been little opportunity for growth to drive profits, only consolidation and cost-cutting, and that's how Gamestop came to be practically the only game reseller in North America. Gamestop going out of business won't reverse that trend. Mom and pop game resellers aren't going to appear because the only way to make money in that business is as a national chain with massive volume. If Gamestop's only problem was customer dissatisfaction, their competition would already be here trying to force Gamestop out of business, not waiting for it to collapse. This is going to be like Blockbuster going out of business. It didn't create space for local video stores, it helped cement a permanent change in how people buy and rent movies. The people who are used to saving money by selling games back to Gamestop will either get comfortable with ebay or start paying attention to digital sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Vikar Jerome posted:

gamestop is the new arasaka. wake the gently caress up samurais.

poo poo, if they have a pocket nuke in the basement of each store and Soulkiller running on their website.....