Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fools Infinite posted:

The fake background blur is pretty awful.

Also the awful instagram colored filter. You probably can shoot that with any SLR/Mirrorless from last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Are there any ~5 year old systems are worth looking at if I want to get a body plus a few primes for dipping my toe back into photography on a budget? Micro 4/3 or something else?

Like many ~*photography dads*~ 95% of my photos will be of my kid or food where a decent P&S would suffice, but for the other 5% I'd like the flexibility of interchangeable lenses and RAW. Seems like mirrorless is a good fit for this use case? Plan B is to just keep our existing P&S and buy a ratty old Rebel from KEH, but I like the idea of having only one camera.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can get a lot of micro four thirds kit for not too much money. Fuji is a great system, lots of cheap used bodies.

Another option that comes to mind is a panasonic lx100, which has a m43 size sensor but is a compact. The lens has a standard zoom range, but is faster/more compact than equivalent m43 options.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Are there any ~5 year old systems are worth looking at if I want to get a body plus a few primes for dipping my toe back into photography on a budget? Micro 4/3 or something else?

Like many ~*photography dads*~ 95% of my photos will be of my kid or food where a decent P&S would suffice, but for the other 5% I'd like the flexibility of interchangeable lenses and RAW. Seems like mirrorless is a good fit for this use case? Plan B is to just keep our existing P&S and buy a ratty old Rebel from KEH, but I like the idea of having only one camera.

Fuji XT-10. 35 and 50mm f2

Maybe cheaper but not better, an Olympus EM-10. They’re dead cheap as are the lenses.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Let me know if you decide on M43. If you’re interested, I need to get off my duff and sell this E-M10 mark iii and collection of lenses.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Local store had a demo day on Saturday, ended up picking up the new Tamron 24mm f2.8 for Sony. This is nice (cheap) little lens, has a really short minimum focus distance. Really like the size/weight and it fills a nice spot next to the 28-75.

Profoto was there in full force offering "discounts" on their $1700 B10 flashes ... you could get $500 in light modifiers free! $500 umbrella.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have some money to spend on a new camera thanks to an insurance claim on stolen gear. I currently have a Nikon D300s with an 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm looking at getting something that I can use as a multi-use camera. Something that I can use to take decent photos, but also something that I can throw a pancake lens on and use as a walk around camera. Something that I can shoot in RAW, but also something that I can quickly upload to my phone for sharing.

So after doing some research, I decided on the Fujifilm X-T30. A local retailer has the X-T30 available with the XC 15-45mm 3.5-5.6 OIS PZ lens or I can get the XF 18-55 2.8-4.0 R lens for $325 CAD more. Am I correct in thinking this upgrade is definitely worth the $325?

I would also like to get a pancake lens, but I don't want to spend a bunch on one right now. Are there any good inexpensive pancake lenses available for the X-T30 right now?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my Fuji but the state of their mobile app is pretty dire, I can only get it to connect around 25% of the time and even then it’s super slow and janky. I honestly can’t count on it any more and I’m thinking about buying a SD card adapter which is stupid.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

Koth posted:

I have some money to spend on a new camera thanks to an insurance claim on stolen gear. I currently have a Nikon D300s with an 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm looking at getting something that I can use as a multi-use camera. Something that I can use to take decent photos, but also something that I can throw a pancake lens on and use as a walk around camera. Something that I can shoot in RAW, but also something that I can quickly upload to my phone for sharing.

So after doing some research, I decided on the Fujifilm X-T30. A local retailer has the X-T30 available with the XC 15-45mm 3.5-5.6 OIS PZ lens or I can get the XF 18-55 2.8-4.0 R lens for $325 CAD more. Am I correct in thinking this upgrade is definitely worth the $325?

I would also like to get a pancake lens, but I don't want to spend a bunch on one right now. Are there any good inexpensive pancake lenses available for the X-T30 right now?

You absolutely want either the 18-55. Though one thing to think about is some places sell the fuji bodies with one of the weather sealed f2.0 primes, which are all really good. They're not exactly pancakes, but they're definitely small enough to be good walk-around lenses. Pick the one that best matches what you like to shoot.

For true pancake lenses, Fuji just has the one real one: 27mm f/2.8. It's very cheap, especially if you go used.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

qirex posted:

I love my Fuji but the state of their mobile app is pretty dire, I can only get it to connect around 25% of the time and even then it’s super slow and janky. I honestly can’t count on it any more and I’m thinking about buying a SD card adapter which is stupid.

Do you connect through Bluetooth or WiFi?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Koth posted:

I know you can pick up a nice used 18-55/2.8-4 for like $300 USD all day long, so consider that. The XC 15-45 is a solid pick in that it's very good optically (especially at the wide end of the range) and is very lightweight.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Koth posted:

Do you connect through Bluetooth or WiFi?

My x100f is WiFi only. My understanding is it doesn’t transfer files over Bluetooth anyway.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Koth posted:

I just recently picked up the X-T30 and 18-55 2.8-4 combo and have been super impressed with it's sharpness. I don't have the 15-45 to compare against but the 18-55 is very solid. It isn't a tiny lens as compared to the XT-30, but I just picked up a used 27mm off these very forums for when I want something pocketable.

My experience with the wi-fi hasn't been too bad.. It's not fast but it accomplishes my goal of being able to upload pics without necessarily having to download to my desktop or dick around in post. Still shoot raw and jpeg though.. old habits.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Profoto was there in full force offering "discounts" on their $1700 B10 flashes ... you could get $500 in light modifiers free! $500 umbrella.

Yeah, it's amazing what some companies will price their modifiers at. Like I'll buy Wescott umbrellas with no thought as they are well priced and are actually built well for their price point. That does not hold true for any of their other products.

I really have no idea how these companies can sell these the way they do since we've got companies like Interfit, Phottix, and Godox. I mean most people aren't going to give two shits about what name is on them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If I wanted to get my gf a M43 portrait lens for Christmas (she only has the kit zoom at the moment) would the M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8 be a good choice? Anything else I should consider (e.g. a non-ugly camera bag)?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did our family Christmas cards yesterday and it was a Frankenstein mess. Two strobes, but neither had a hot shoe attachment on the light poles so I couldn't use wireless triggers. Instead it was one strobe connected via sync cable to my X-H1 and the X-H1 with a speedlight pointed at another strobe that triggered with the light. I had to use my manual focus 12mm to get the whole scene, but that meant enabling the shoot without a lens mode. I was using the Fuji remote app so I could be in the shot or move around while posing the 2 year old nephew wearing a Buddy Elf hat and playing in maple syrup covered spaghetti. But if you're using that app it blacks out your viewfinder and camera LCD. Try to preview your images on the app and it kicks you into bulk download mode and won't let you back into shooting mode unless you kill the app and start over. That means shooting blind more or less. I focused in advance and hoped for the best.

I missed focus by just a hair on about half the shots. It's not noticeable on small LCD screens and I might be able to sharpen things a little in post. It probably won't show up on card stock, but still. gently caress me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

If I wanted to get my gf a M43 portrait lens for Christmas (she only has the kit zoom at the moment) would the M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8 be a good choice? Anything else I should consider (e.g. a non-ugly camera bag)?

Is the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.2 PRO in your budget? Because that's the boss. If not, the 1.8 is still a pretty good lens.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The olympus 45mm 1.8 is a good choice.

The olympus 45mm 1.2 is probably overkill, especially if she wanted a compact camera system. There is a panasonic 42.5mm 1.7 but it is more expensive and doesn't really justify the extra cost.

The other options are the olympus 75mm or sigma 56mm, which are both very good but much larger and more expensive lenses.

An older fast 50mm adapted film lens makes a good portrait lens, but maybe not a great gift for someone who isn't already into manual focus lenses.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

Already mentioned 45mm f/1.8 and f/1.2 are both amazing in their own way, 75mm f/1.8 is priced between those two and is also hot.

E: beaten!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

pointsofdata posted:

Yes. It’s great, cheap and tiny.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you have a Panasonic body I'd get the 42.5 for dual IS. Both are great lenses for the price.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GEMorris posted:

If you have a Panasonic body I'd get the 42.5 for dual IS. Both are great lenses for the price.

It's an Olympus body so I do t think she'd benefit.

Thanks all!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

qirex posted:

It’s trash, it’s just for updating firmware at this point. Mine has to connect with both Bluetooth AND WiFi before it will allow me to interact with the camera. It’s janky and randomly disconnects, and the UI is like they didn’t consult any actual photographers.

All I want is to be able to mark photos as I shoot and have only those photos transfer to my phone.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Krispy Wafer posted:

gently caress me.

The worst part is that your whole family will think that it’s fantastic

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Easychair Bootson posted:

The worst part is that your whole family will think that it’s fantastic

That's the best part. They don't know any better. And thanks sis. I went out of my way to find a Buddy Elf cap and you went out of your way to dress the kid in the most un-Christmassy t-shirt imaginable.

Fortunately that was the worst for focus. I managed to salvage 6 good shots. I need to figure out how to hook a laptop up to this camera. It was always a terrible hassle with my Nikon so I haven't tried it yet with a Fuji.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why don’t you just go up a stop or use the AF then switch into MF after the camera locks?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did our family Christmas cards yesterday and it was a Frankenstein mess. Two strobes, but neither had a hot shoe attachment on the light poles so I couldn't use wireless triggers. Instead it was one strobe connected via sync cable to my X-H1 and the X-H1 with a speedlight pointed at another strobe that triggered with the light. I had to use my manual focus 12mm to get the whole scene, but that meant enabling the shoot without a lens mode. I was using the Fuji remote app so I could be in the shot or move around while posing the 2 year old nephew wearing a Buddy Elf hat and playing in maple syrup covered spaghetti. But if you're using that app it blacks out your viewfinder and camera LCD. Try to preview your images on the app and it kicks you into bulk download mode and won't let you back into shooting mode unless you kill the app and start over. That means shooting blind more or less. I focused in advance and hoped for the best.

I missed focus by just a hair on about half the shots. It's not noticeable on small LCD screens and I might be able to sharpen things a little in post. It probably won't show up on card stock, but still. gently caress me.

Try the demo of topaz ai sharpening

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why don’t you just go up a stop or use the AF then switch into MF after the camera locks?

I should have done several things differently, but trying to set up lighting with a 2 year old running back and forth over my power cables made prep work difficult. I'm used to natural light so I open my aperture up by habit. I had this at f5 I think. Since I had strobes I should have used a higher f-stop and given myself a beefier depth of field.

It was an excuse to dust off my cheapo strobes so I wasn't unhappy with the results. That Fuji app though is truly a piece of poo poo.

jarlywarly posted:

Try the demo of topaz ai sharpening

I'll check it out.

EDIT: I checked it out. It seems to work well. There's a fine line between correcting a bit of focus and slicing your eyeballs and I'm not sure I've figured it out yet. The auto mode suggested a Remove Blur of .11 and I decided on .25.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 28, 2019

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If I was looking at a Canon M6 and was interested in doing video (1080 YouTube stuff) but needed to have audio monitoring via headphones, am I completely SoL due to the lack of a headphone jack in the camera body, or are there hotshoe mics that also provide a headphone jack?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 1, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve been using a few Canon lenses on my a7ii with the Commlite EF-NEX adapter. The one I use the most—the 50mm f/1.8 STM—actually works quite well. Autofocus seems fast and accurate.

Just picked up a 24-105 f/4 and it doesn’t work well at all with the Commlite though. Autofocus is slow as balls, and that’s when I’m lucky and it doesn’t just hunt all over the place. I’ve got a Sigma MC-11 on the way now and I really hope it improves the L lens’ performance on my Sony. My main film body is an EOS A2e, and it’d be ideal if I could continue share lenses between the two (plus high end E mount zooms are insanely expensive).

Being a cheapskate hobbyist yields yet another challenge...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sigma mc11 is the way to go.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Uh, anybody fancy a Fuji 16-55 f/2.8 for half price? Jump on this right now.

Fujinon XF16-55mm F2.8 Weather Resistant Lens https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SDC5LU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Ty5Db8MBQDYV

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

Uh, anybody fancy a Fuji 16-55 f/2.8 for half price? Jump on this right now.

Fujinon XF16-55mm F2.8 Weather Resistant Lens https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SDC5LU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Ty5Db8MBQDYV

No dice on this side of the pond. :911:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Verman posted:

Sigma mc11 is the way to go.

Arrived today. The AF on my 24-105 is waaaaay better now. Faster with less hunting. Good poo poo.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking to upgrade from an X-T1 to either an X-H1, X-T2 or X-T3. Essentially deciding between the X-H1 (for IBIS and lower price) and X-T3 (mainly for better AF). I'd only go X-T2 if I'm not a fan of the increased size/weight of the X-H1.

One of the main drivers behind this upgrade is improving AF performance, especially AF-C. The X-T1 w/ 55-200 just hasn't been that reliable n AF-C mode, in my experience. From what I gather, the H1/T2 are a significant upgrade in this regard, due to the increased coverage of phase detection points (~54% coverage vs ~18% coverage on the T1), faster processor and additional AF-C modes/settings. The T3 is obviously even better, with 99% PD coverage and an even faster processor, but my hope and assumption is that the improvement of the H1/T2 will be good enough for my needs. I primarily do landscape/travel shooting, so the AF-C performance didn't bother me too much for the rare occasions where do some sports/wildlife shooting, but getting a dog has finally driven me to upgrade.

Assuming the AF improvements on a H1/T2 are substantial, I'm finding it hard to say no to the H1 with IBIS at current prices. Having the option of using primes and the 16-55 with stabilization is quite appealing. Other main improvements from the newer bodies that have me excited are the improved sensor (X trans 2 -> 3 looks significant, 3 -> 4 seems pretty minor) and being able to do up to 15 minute exposures in T mode (as opposed to 30 seconds on the X-T1). I never really shoot video, so while the video improvements of the X-T3 over the H1/T2 look nice, they aren't really a selling point for me (but maybe the reason I never shoot video is that video sucks on the X-T1...). The H1/T3 also have a higher resolution EVF (with slightly lower magnification) than the T1/T2, but from what I've read it's not really that big of a difference in practice. Anything else I'm missing that might sway me one way or the other?

Anyone have any thoughts on the X-H1 vs X-T3? Also, anyone have experience using both the H1 and a T series camera? How big of a change does the slightly increased sized and increased weight (50% over an X-T1) make to compactness of your kit? I have this fear that it'll lead to a larger bag and likely a sturdier (larger/heavier) tripod, and then all of the sudden I've lost a lot of the compactness that I love about my current setup. Part of that stems from the fact that an X-H1 would make buying a 16-55 incredibly tempting, and that's a standard zoom setup that is essentially back to DSLR size/weight (which is more due to the 16-55 than the X-H1).

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The H1 is a beefier T2 with IBIS, I think of it as a mid-step before the T3. IIRC it was supposed to be a video-leaning, improved T2. If you’re not doing a ton of video work the T2 is essentially the same camera but slimmer. If the bare camera grip is weird for you the vertical grip adds a bit more to grab onto.

You’ll notice a big difference in upgrading from the T1 to the H1/T2, and a massive difference going to the T3.

Since compactness is your concern, I’d say go for the T2 or T3. It’s like night and day going from full size Nikon kit to all Fuji. The bodies are half the size, as are the lenses; my 50-140 Fuji is barely the size of a pounder beer can. And thus my entire kit is half the size, I don’t need to drag around a pelican case of gear anymore.

If you want to see an almost exact comparison between the T2 and T3, I have some work photos saved somewhere.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 3, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

You’ll notice a big difference in upgrading from the T1 to the H1/T2, and a massive difference going to the T3.

Is there really that big of a difference? Actually, just lie to me so I don't needlessly upgrade from my X-T1.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The difference from 1 to 2 is way bigger than 2 to 3 imo. I’ve ended up “downgrading” from a T3 to an H1 because I tried one and the IBIS was awesome. YMMV.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

red19fire posted:

Since compactness is your concern, I’d say go for the T2 or T3. It’s like night and day going from full size Nikon kit to all Fuji. The bodies are half the size, as are the lenses; my 50-140 Fuji is barely the size of a pounder beer can. And thus my entire kit is half the size, I don’t need to drag around a pelican case of gear anymore.
Compactness is a concern, and one of the reasons I like my current X-T1 setup (w/ 18-55, Lee Seven5 filters instead of 100mm), but most of the time I'm also carrying the 55-200 and Rokinon 12, and occasionally the 35 f2 and/or a tripod as well, so adding a bit of camera weight/size isn't necessarily a significant difference (except around the neck). The H1 probably wouldn't be much of an issue for me, I was just giving myself a reality check realizing the H1 (673g) + 16-55 (655g, 77mm filter) was similar in size/weight to my old APS-C DSLR setup of a D70 (679g) + Tamron 17-50 (569g, 72mm filter). Even if I stay with the T series, I've been planning on upsizing by adding a 10-24 and/or 16-80 and a larger prime (e.g. 56 1.2 or 16 1.4 instead of the 35 2), so losing some compactness is something I'm going to have to cope with regardless.

red19fire posted:

Digital Jesus posted:

The difference from 1 to 2 is way bigger than 2 to 3 imo. I’ve ended up “downgrading” from a T3 to an H1 because I tried one and the IBIS was awesome. YMMV.

This is what I suspected. Think I'll go with either the T2 or H1 now and see how it goes and add the money saved to the lens fund. Unfortunately there's not a camera store in my area that stocks Fuji gear, so I can't try out the H1 before buying, but with the number of people I've seen raving out the IBIS, I 'm leaning toward just going for it. I can always just sell it and grab an X-T2 if I end up not liking the form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
IBIS is just something that comes with every camera </m43>