Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So we'll get a listeria outbreak on top of COVID-19?

Worth it for my rocky road, pecans n praline, and cookies n cream. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So we'll get a listeria outbreak on top of COVID-19?

Nah, confirmed covid outbreak in the brenham factory lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

When I moved there for school the population sign read, IIRC, 465,000, and that was just the city limits, which was most of the total metro area. Today, I believe the metro area is over 2MM. Riverside was the end of civilization headed South, the airport was in the center of town and you could still spot Leslie blowing dudes in a dumpster downtown.
That would have been the signs put up after the 1990 census. Those same signs had cedar park at 3k and leander at 1900, which are both above 60,000 now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

My favorite thing I've seen in the last couple of years is New Braunfels, and especially Gruene. loving lol. Gruene looks like it was taken over and remodeled by people from Menlo Park who wanted a Central Texas themed entertainment district.

My grandparents moved to universal city around ~88 so I've seen a lot of north and northwest SA and lemme tell ya it ain't great

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Heh.

The NB area used to be kind of quaint, it wasn't even considered anything remotely part of San Antonio, and boy has that changed. The city has grown together with NB. It feels like in about another 10 years it'll be wall to wall strip malls and wine bars between San Antonio and Austin.

My parents, when they were newlyweds, bought an acre or so of a newly parted out ranch around Blanco for like $900 just on a whim, even though they didn't have like $900 back in 73 or whatever it was to blow. The latest appraisal of that property has it at like $123,000 even though the development hasn't gotten to where they are yet and half of the lot is essentially limestone leading into a gully. Wimberley and all those towns have gone nuts with all the wealthy retirees.

RHCP need to rewrite the lyrics to Californication, though honestly I would trade that for every angry redneck of the Rust Belt and the Deep South moving to Southeast Texas for jobs in the last 40 years. Texans have managed to hang on pretty well in Houston proper, but not everywhere.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 23, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alucardd posted:

Nah, confirmed covid outbreak in the brenham factory lol

Like it's not a surprise, but also that place is very likely cursed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jiro posted:

Like it's not a surprise, but also that place is very likely cursed.

Deals were made for those ice cream recipes and now the bill has come due.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

I literally closed on my house Feb 20, I can’t imagine doing all the house buying legwork under the current conditions.

Do we currently have any restrictions on church services in the state.

About to close on selling my house. There are buyers but only serious folks who need to buy. I wasnt getting a lot of foot traffic but it was consistent.

In my case it was someone relocating that put in an offer. Thankfully, I only lost about 3% off the listed price and it was on the market about 7 weeks. I was imagining a much worse scenario.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I know people still buying homes in Houston thinking nothing will happen. You could still buy a house in the Heights in the early 2000s for $100k. That's how bad the market crashed in the 80s

This has a lot more to do with market dynamics and people wanting to live in the City instead of the suburbs.

The Heights was a run down working class neighborhood where a serial killer ran rampant in the late 70s and hardly anyone noticed the teenage boys disappearing, chalking them up to be runaways.

Now - lol good luck buying a house for less than a million dollars.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IDK if anyone else has tried it, but the Whataburger app + curbside is an excellent and fast process, and I'd be happy to never interact with an employee ever again. It's just so much better to type your order in an app, drive over, and it's already hot and being brought out to your car within 90 seconds.

Let's keep doing that after the pandemic please.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I live in Deep Ellum and it seems like people are flooding back into the bars. I didn't drive past the bars but when I got home, I could see that the parking lot near me was full and I saw a bunch of people walking around wearing no masks. The parking in my apartment complex was also pretty full which hasn't happened since the shut down. It's frustrating because up until now, just about everyone I saw was wearing masks and seemed to be taking things seriously.

I also didn't think about it until now but it makes me kind of nervous thinking about my neighbors inviting their friends over to go in Deep Ellum or random people coming into my apartment complex looking for parking.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
if anybody lives in austin absolutely do not go to the south congress hopdoddy location they just had one of the staff members test positive for covid

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sampatrick posted:

if anybody lives in austin absolutely do not go to the south congress hopdoddy location they just had one of the staff members test positive for covid

Oof, definitely going to avoid ordering from them for a while. Hopefully the staff member is ok.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The lovely bar down the block from me only had like 5 cars in front of it at around 11ish last night. It feels like a really slow night for that place but honestly I never pay them any attention :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1264256268480532482?s=20

:ughh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Marxalot posted:

The lovely bar down the block from me only had like 5 cars in front of it at around 11ish last night. It feels like a really slow night for that place but honestly I never pay them any attention :v:

Everyone down here in the RGV went out to bars judging from SnapMaps places were packed, SPI was and still is packed they brought back fireworks out there. Not sure why maybe to celebrate people dying or getting sick.

That Twitter of the person who's a "neighbor" to Elon Musk's bullshit SpaceX stuff down here is on point with everything. He's pretty much just trying to take over all of the wildlife refuge and push people out of their homes with his crap rocket tests. loving piece of poo poo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sampatrick posted:

I can't wait until some Job Creator tries to file a fraud or damages suit using a creative loophole over a person at a business notifying the public that they have COVID.

If you don't think this could happen, recall that in Houston both a white restaurant owner and a black strip club owner opened early, very publicly, and fought the law - and, in the case of the strip club, won in federal court.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got all his money from his daddy’s car dealership

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, don't go to any Hopdoddy anywhere for the same reason don't go to Torchy's anywhere or Dickey's anywhere or Freebird's anywhere - because there's almost definitely an actual real local restaurant that does our indigenous comfort foods better than these places, unless you're in one of those towns that's too small to have restaurants except for the interstate nearby. The only exceptions to this are Whataburger and Cabana, maybe Rudy's, if you're impaired from drugs or alcohol.

EDIT: And Popeye's, when drunk or high.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 24, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

When I moved there for school the population sign read, IIRC, 465,000, and that was just the city limits, which was most of the total metro area. Today, I believe the metro area is over 2MM. Riverside was the end of civilization headed South, the airport was in the center of town and you could still spot Leslie blowing dudes in a dumpster downtown.

My favorite thing I've seen in the last couple of years is New Braunfels, and especially Gruene. loving lol. Gruene looks like it was taken over and remodeled by people from Menlo Park who wanted a Central Texas themed entertainment district.
From The Greater Houston Area, with love:

we had another version like ten years ago that was "keep austin out of houston"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

i say swears online posted:

if anyone remembers before the tech boom started in the mid 90s, austin was very run down. the skyline didn't change for like fifteen years

watch this documentary for more information on that time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmfRuXxuXo&hd=1

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Also, don't go to any Hopdoddy anywhere for the same reason don't go to Torchy's anywhere or Dickey's anywhere or Freebird's anywhere - because there's almost definitely an actual real local restaurant that does our indigenous comfort foods better than these places, unless you're in one of those towns that's too small to have restaurants except for the interstate nearby. The only exceptions to this are Whataburger and Cabana, maybe Rudy's, if you're impaired from drugs or alcohol.

I dunno, Hopdoddy's is pretty good. Not fantastic, but they have a good vibe and their food is high quality (if a bit overpriced).

Rudy's is also very decent. I would rate their brisket 7.5/10 and really appreciate their consistency. There are obviously better BBQ joints, but none that are a) fast and b) without long rear end lines.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Rudy's is also very decent. I would rate their brisket 7.5/10 and really appreciate their consistency. There are obviously better BBQ joints, but none that are a) fast and b) without long rear end lines.

Rudy's is one of the better places to get brisket in San Antonio. This says more about the amount of lovely brisket that San Antonio tolerates than it does about Rudy's.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

What's your better Freebird's? None of the local burrito places I've tried have been nearly as good.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

L0cke17 posted:

What's your better Freebird's? None of the local burrito places I've tried have been nearly as good.

Give Cabo Bobs a shot, they are my go to burrito place now. Have better steak in my opinion than Freebirds.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Every single place people call 'overpriced' is also the only restaurants that pay their employees better than dogshit so keep that in mind. Restaurants are massively underpriced compared to the labor involved.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

Got all his money from his daddy’s car dealership

hey I know that name now

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sampatrick posted:

Every single place people call 'overpriced' is also the only restaurants that pay their employees better than dogshit so keep that in mind. Restaurants are massively underpriced compared to the labor involved.
Notably, none of us mentioned price. Though based on my experience with an Uber driver who normally worked as a sous chef (self appellation), he would disagree strongly with you about Darden restaurants.

On the other question about the substitute for Freebird's, I have a hot take answer on that which is a total hot take that I don't think is like 100% the gospel, but I agree with personally. The less embarrassing version of it is:

Just eat a normal burrito, not a mission burrito, because this isn't California.

:arghfist:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

zoux posted:

I literally closed on my house Feb 20, I can’t imagine doing all the house buying legwork under the current conditions.

Do we currently have any restrictions on church services in the state.

Some Catholic bishops are restricting what parishes in their diocese may do. But there's no central authority that can require bishops to do something except the Pope, so what those restrictions are vary quite a bit.

Abp. Gustavo (San Antonio) allowed parishes to open today, provided six feet of distance was between all congregants and everyone wore masks. In my opinion that's still too early, and he waited past when Houston's bishop did!

The state itself issues only "recommendations"; there's no requirement any Texas place of worship follow any of them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
insert obvious Catholic touching / distancing joke here

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ReindeerF posted:

because this isn't California.

I am disappointed that breakfast burritos don't seem to be a thing here though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah that's not even remotely true and you keep making the same incorrect post

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Forseti posted:

I am disappointed that breakfast burritos don't seem to be a thing here though.

Tacos are way better.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Notably, none of us mentioned price. Though based on my experience with an Uber driver who normally worked as a sous chef (self appellation), he would disagree strongly with you about Darden restaurants.

ill hot take that darden restaurants arent restaurants :>

ill also say that im definitely exaggerating but people also definitely expect prices to be much lower than they should actually be given the labor involved and this is absolutely one of the reasons why restaurant staff gets paid like poo poo.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Jiro posted:

Tacos are way better.

What like a breakfast taco? I don't think I've seen that. Only been in Houston about two years and live near the medical center (I'm from Virginia and not California please don't murder me). I am all about the jalapeno cheese kolaches from Le Donut however.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Forseti posted:

What like a breakfast taco? I don't think I've seen that. Only been in Houston about two years and live near the medical center (I'm from Virginia and not California please don't murder me). I am all about the jalapeno cheese kolaches from Le Donut however.

Tacos in general, easier to make and offer more variety of them with meats, toppings, type of tortilla. Tiny street tacos using corn tortillas, breakfast tacos using homemade flour tortillas wrapping up some fajitas. You have much to learn.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
So y'all are gonna think I'm nuts, but I haven't found tacos here that compete with Alex's Tacos in Waynesboro, VA yet. I think it's mostly because I live in the Halal area (which is also great, just different). Velvet Taco owns but that's not really the same thing and also expensive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Zil posted:

Give Cabo Bobs a shot, they are my go to burrito place now. Have better steak in my opinion than Freebirds.

Really? I've tried them a few time since there's one right by work and it's all super bland unless you just absolutely cover it in salsas. I was not a huge fan.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of breakfast burritos, a tiny trailer just opened next to me that serves Honduran baleadas which seem to be pretty similar (the way they make them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
never seen breakfast tacos? Taco Cabana has/d amongst the best in my opinion, even if its fast food