Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also, to really clear odors, set it outside in the sun. This helped when my mom's souvenir thermos had a milk based drink for who knows how many weeks, not dishwasher safe.

Hydrogen peroxide sealed and shaken inside could help too, though I haven't tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A vigorous shake with a teaspoon of laundry booster with hot water completely got all the residue out of my Stanley travel mug and big Stanley thermos. The rubber bits and crevices take a little extra attention with a brush but I was amazed how fast it solved the problem.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really like the artist series designs for the fellow Carter mugs.

People who complain about smell, are they leaving the coffee sitting in it? I usually clean mine after drinking it. I also drink coffee black, so there’s no sugar or milk.

It tends to seep into plastics and silicone rings. It’s not the metal that holds the odor. So if it’s used as a travel mug and you drink through the lid at work and can only rinse it? Yeah, it starts to taste bad. I’ve tried oxyclean, vinegar, espresso machine cleaners, sunlight, and bleach. Nothing takes it all out of the plastic and silicone. If you can clean it right away i expect it will take longer to smell and taste bad.

Anyway, but something with parts you can replace.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I use a Fellow Carter and appreciate the fact that the coffee tastes at least somewhat similar to what I poured into it. Mugs like the Zojirushi make your coffee taste like nothing because you don't get any sort of aroma through the sippy cup style top. The Carter isn't great for people wanting to drink "on the move" though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh right, yeah like I said I'm not interested in anything with a sippy hole or anything. I want to actually unscrew the top and drink it like a mug. The tiny sippy hole lids in my experience are a pain to clean because of all the grooves and moving parts.

Drinking it "on the go" for me means drinking it sitting down on a bus or standing up at the bus stop. Not walking around and drinking it as I move.

I like the kinto because it has the handle but I'm now finding out that the part you drink out of is plastic?

E: I'm the weirdo at work that washes my mug (and the office coffee pots) every day with a brush and soap. Everyone else just rinses their mugs under the water and call it a day.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 11, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh right, yeah like I said I'm not interested in anything with a sippy hole or anything. I want to actually unscrew the top and drink it like a mug. The tiny sippy hole lids in my experience are a pain to clean because of all the grooves and moving parts.

Drinking it "on the go" for me means drinking it sitting down on a bus or standing up at the bus stop. Not walking around and drinking it as I move.

I like the kinto because it has the handle but I'm now finding out that the part you drink out of is plastic?

E: I'm the weirdo at work that washes my mug (and the office coffee pots) every day with a brush and soap. Everyone else just rinses their mugs under the water and call it a day.

The Fellow Carter Move or Carter Wide might be for you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fwiw there are multiple zoji models without sippy lids

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the zojirushi elephant owns so keep that in mind

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use this Zojirushi mug and love it. It's a normal screw top and I've been using it for a couple years with no issues. A bonus is that it's more compact and lightweight compared to the standard Fellow or Miir mugs you see everywhere. A downside is that means it's too compact for some direct brewing methods like Aeropress or even a V60. I just brew into a different glass server so it's no problem

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-ZB36-HM-Stainless-Seamless-Drinking-dp-B0B8D3X33M/dp/B0B8D3X33M/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Do not put oxiclean into a Carter, shake it, and then set it down still closed to take a phone call

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Do not put oxiclean into a Carter, shake it, and then set it down still closed to take a phone call

It reacts and turns into hydrogen peroxide. At least the explosion when you opened it will be cleanish.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jhet posted:

It reacts and turns into hydrogen peroxide. At least the explosion when you opened it will be cleanish.

It was also somewhat enjoyable to see the lid go flying across the room

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How well does the ceramic coating in the fellow carter tumblers hold up? I didn't realize it was a coating like a nonstick pan and I'm worried bottle brushes are gonna scratch the poo poo out of it and get in my drink.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

How well does the ceramic coating in the fellow carter tumblers hold up? I didn't realize it was a coating like a nonstick pan and I'm worried bottle brushes are gonna scratch the poo poo out of it and get in my drink.

i've only had mine for around six months, but i'm not worried. solgel doesn't seem to flake off the way teflon can when it gets scratched (based on cookware I've used) and the inside of your mug doesn't really need to be very non-stick to do its job, it just needs to interfere with coffee staining the interior. maybe in a year or two it'll get really gross and i'll change my mind, but for now it looks pristine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When will our burgeoning coffee nerd community come up with a Dyson style vortex particle size selector? In goes the virgin hodge podge, out comes only the beautiful chad grounds. Fines and boulders can gently caress right off, though some YouTubers of culture have done excellent experiments mixing back in the perfect 0.5g of fines :lofty:

The idea has a 20% chance to work, which is perfect for $400,000 in kickstarter funding within the first 4 days. Who's with me?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Any recommendations for a hand grinder for espresso? Espresso-only, 20g max. From cursory googling and bullshit removal I'm eyeballing the 1Zpresso J Ultra/ or Max, BPlus Apollo ($$$), or the KINGrinder K6. For some reason I had bookmarked the Apollo some time ago but I can't remember why.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

... Dyson style Vortex PartIcle Size Selector ...

I propose we name it thus.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

theHUNGERian posted:

I propose we name it thus.

... Okay who has a 3d printer I can use

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don’t hand grind but afaik the comandante is still hoffmann’s subjective favorite for espresso. if you’re open to spending that much, I would give it a look

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

Any recommendations for a hand grinder for espresso? Espresso-only, 20g max. From cursory googling and bullshit removal I'm eyeballing the 1Zpresso J Ultra/ or Max, BPlus Apollo ($$$), or the KINGrinder K6. For some reason I had bookmarked the Apollo some time ago but I can't remember why.

JX-Pro works great for me, but I think all the ones you listed are even higher end so I'm sure they're all great

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The x-ultra is also an option in the 1z line. It's not specifically an espresso only grinder, but it apparently is very good all around. I only use my x-pro for filter so I can't say anything about espresso

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I trust this goofball with expertise on grinders

https://youtu.be/lvxH9XWRGTs?si=ghD9H5lX443PwWt9

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seabreeze tonic, that will be $12 with suggested $5 tip please

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have had a 1z JX for a year and a half now, but i still give the commandante c40 longing glances about once a month, and the fact that it still holds up as a real contender (or in many cases is still regarded as the gold standard) even today has to mean something. I’ll probably upgrade to that before autumn. I can’t stand the over-engineered design on all the newer 1z grinders personally

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Ok so I’ve had my espresso machine + grinder for almost a month now (Rancilio Silvia and a Bezzera BB005), and have gotten to the point where I can now make a pretty solid latte, as well as dial in my grind setting pretty consistently (at some point in the future I will definitely be upgrading the grinder though). However, the temperature just loving skyrocketed and I’m about to switch to iced coffee for the foreseeable future. I love the texture of steamed milk but is it stupid to try to make it with an iced drink?

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Necronomicon posted:

Ok so I’ve had my espresso machine + grinder for almost a month now (Rancilio Silvia and a Bezzera BB005), and have gotten to the point where I can now make a pretty solid latte, as well as dial in my grind setting pretty consistently (at some point in the future I will definitely be upgrading the grinder though). However, the temperature just loving skyrocketed and I’m about to switch to iced coffee for the foreseeable future. I love the texture of steamed milk but is it stupid to try to make it with an iced drink?

My wife and I typically drink iced lattes in the summer.

I’ve steamed it before and it’s good, but usually I’ll either just add cold milk and ice, or make a shakerato. Definitely worth it, and we both like it more than cold brew.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Does anyone use a Zero water jug or anything like it? Any good?

We're in a really hard water area so tap water isn't an option without some kind of aggressive filter. Currently buying bottled but I'd prefer to find an alternative that doesn't involve purchasing plastic bottles and consuming even more microplastics.

Counter top and under counter systems are probably not an option, don't really have the space and I might be murdered if I buy more kitchen gadgets. Although if there's something relatively compact that can be used for both coffee and drinking water I can probably sell that as an alternative to the filter jug we currently use for drinking.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

it dont matter posted:

We use a Zero Water jug as we can't buy food-safe distilled/deionised water here (UK). It works well, but is expensive as the filters don't last very long with our very hard tap water. We use a brita/bwt filter jug for drinking water as it's much cheaper.

You don't want to use straight ZW for coffee without re-mineralising, though. It won't taste good, and if you're using it in an espresso machine it can cause corrosion. Depending on your tap water you might be able to get away with doing a mix of tap + ZW, or you can fall down the rabbit hole of making/buying mineral concentrates to make up your own coffee water. See here for a primer and links to various spreadsheets/recipes: https://espressoaf.com/guides/water.html

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah that's fine I figured I'd end up going down the make your own water rabbit hole. gently caress it, why not.

I'm also in the UK. Thought distilled water was pretty easy to find online, but it's expensive (and more plastic bottles).

How do you find the BWT? We've got a filter jug for drinking water but it's poo poo, takes ages to filter through and often have to remove and reseat the filter or it just seems to get blocked up. I'm ready to bin it.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 24, 2024

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Depends on your home situation but I bought a RO system off eBay and it was pretty easy to fit myself.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

it dont matter posted:

We're in a really hard water area so tap water isn't an option without some kind of aggressive filter. Currently buying bottled but I'd prefer to find an alternative that doesn't involve purchasing plastic bottles and consuming even more microplastics.

Counter top and under counter systems are probably not an option, don't really have the space and I might be murdered if I buy more kitchen gadgets. Although if there's something relatively compact that can be used for both coffee and drinking water I can probably sell that as an alternative to the filter jug we currently use for drinking.

I have a Zero water jug, and it's fine. While I get your desire to not buy plastic bottles, keep in mind that the Zero water needs a filter every 1-2 weeks, and it contains plenty of plastic.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

it dont matter posted:

How do you find the BWT? We've got a filter jug for drinking water but it's poo poo, takes ages to filter through and often have to remove and reseat the filter or it just seems to get blocked up. I'm ready to bin it.

They're fine, we just use the Mg+ cartridges because we thought it tasted better than the equivalent Brita ones, buy them when they're discounted, change every few weeks. Haven't loved any of these things tbh, none of the jugs pour well (with the exception of the zero water which seems to be ok), they're all annoying to clean, and i really dislike the amount of plastic involved.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

I have a Zero water jug, and it's fine. While I get your desire to not buy plastic bottles, keep in mind that the Zero water needs a filter every 1-2 weeks, and it contains plenty of plastic.

drat, it needs to be replaced that often?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

every single coffee i've had from diego bermudez has been shockingly good, how is it this good

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i use a waterdrop countertop RO system. it stopped the white buildup i get in my kettle. nice not having to use vinegar or citric acid to clean it every 2 weeks or so. and the water quality is way better than a standard filter

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

it dont matter posted:

drat, it needs to be replaced that often?

I guess it also depends on your consumption. I drink 3 L per day. If you only use it for coffee (<< 3 L per day I hope), I guess it will last longer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ded posted:

i use a waterdrop countertop RO system. it stopped the white buildup i get in my kettle. nice not having to use vinegar or citric acid to clean it every 2 weeks or so. and the water quality is way better than a standard filter

And you remineralize the water somehow or do you just rawdog it with RO water for your coffee?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just using an aeropress right now so no need to do that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

I guess it also depends on your consumption. I drink 3 L per day. If you only use it for coffee (<< 3 L per day I hope), I guess it will last longer.

Ah OK that's fine then. It's only for my espresso machine, about 2.5-3l per week typically.