Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

FBS posted:

Knox has a patent on their setup which I suspect is the main reason they aren't everywhere. My Cortechs have a hard plastic slider on the outside edge of the palm but just padded leather on the inside, I've seen that on several other gloves as well so my guess is that's enough to dodge the patent.

I have some Klim gloves with scaphoid sliders, idk if they're licensed or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Klim does not make all their stuff in house, their krios is rebadged Nishua helmet. Not sure about their gloves line though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Got a bit over excited about spring being here and self-birthdayed myself a Dainese D-air jacket.

And some jeans. I should probably hide my credit card and stop buying kit now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let's say I'm tired of my walmart rain suits inevitably splitting at the crotch from getting on and off the bike, and also I'm now realizing these rain suits are much bulkier than they need to be.

What are some good options for packable, durable rain suits?

They do NOT need to be breathable I know that it more costly and I'd rather spend less and just be clammy, I saw how much gore tex cost and got sticker shock. I've used these walmart suits for years and know what that's like, I just want to spend a bit more to get it both smaller and more durable.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I use bicycle rain pants (e.g. showers pass, or rei brand) and a regular, too-big rain jacket.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just some I'm clear, those REI rain pants are $100 msrp? I guess it's worth it to not have to replace them every year or so from ripping.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

They're $40, the showers pass pants are $70. I own them already for bicycle commuting, I just got a size up so they fit over motorcycle pants and it works fine for both.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Let's say I'm tired of my walmart rain suits inevitably splitting at the crotch from getting on and off the bike, and also I'm now realizing these rain suits are much bulkier than they need to be.

What are some good options for packable, durable rain suits?

They do NOT need to be breathable I know that it more costly and I'd rather spend less and just be clammy, I saw how much gore tex cost and got sticker shock. I've used these walmart suits for years and know what that's like, I just want to spend a bit more to get it both smaller and more durable.

honestly you're not going to get much better than frogg toggs unless you spend the money. when I pedal biked 5 days a week in portland I wore them. they're super cheap on amazon. my brother also had a set when we rode up to banff and his dumb rear end didn't bring any rain gear lol

on the opposite end of the spectrum you can buy mosko moto deluge gear. I own the set and it is fantastic. packs up super small and is incredibly breathable since it is made of event fabric which is a goretex competitor. $450 for the jacket + pants and well worth it in my opinion since I commute ~30mi 5 days a week on the ktm

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll start with the frogg toggs because my standards for "packs small" aren't crazy, the ones I have now are like bath towels when rolled up. That's my main complaint, they take up the entire bottom of my saddle bags, whereas I'm starting to realize that even inexpensive rain suits are packing down into these relatively small pouches.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My winter riding gear is GoreTex but I used to pack around a set of Frog Toggs for summer rides. I had issues with them tearing from flapping in the wind and the crotch seams always leaked. Ended up buying a BMW rain suit (lol) when I saw one on clearance for $75. They're $160 retail.

Easy to get into with boots on, it hasn't ripped yet, and it doesn't leak, but it's plastic-coated nylon so it's swampy while you're in there. Packs up into a stuff sack about the size of a 1L nalgene.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll start with the frogg toggs because my standards for "packs small" aren't crazy, the ones I have now are like bath towels when rolled up. That's my main complaint, they take up the entire bottom of my saddle bags, whereas I'm starting to realize that even inexpensive rain suits are packing down into these relatively small pouches.

yeah frogg toggs don't pack up ultra small, but I got the top and bottom halfs into a tiny REI day trip backpack alongside all my bike tools, tubes, and work clothes

I never had issues with rips personally, but I could see how they'd be prone to them as they are very baggy as they're meant to be able to pulled over whatever the hell you're wearing at the last minute quickly. I ordered a size smaller to attempt to combat looking like a black michelin man

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've been using a pair of Bass Pro Shops/Redhead/Cabela's rain pants for like 15 years now and they still work until they're just entirely saturated (hours). They pack down to the size of a beer can. My Frogg Toggs squall jacket has held up during some vicious storms but it does not pack down small (maybe like a six pack or so). My Columbia rain shell packs down to about the size of two beer cans and like the rain pants, is good for a few hours until it's just entirely drowned.

I've also been testing the GearAid brand waterproofing spray with good results. Haven't given my jacket/pants/tarp a thorough field test yet, but it absolutely took care of my Salomon hiking boots for a few long days in deep wet snow this past winter. I will definitely be buying another can for my pants and rain jackets soon.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I wore an HJC CL-17 for a long time, and upgraded to a Shoei RF-1200 before a road trip about 18 months ago. I hadn't worn the CL-17 in a while, and went for a short ride yesterday just to see what the difference has been.

Holy poo poo is the RF-1200 a better helmet in every conceivable way. Granted, yeah, it's much more expensive, but it's lighter, quieter, has better airflow (i.e., controllable airflow and not just wind directly into your eyeballs), and the shield just feels more secure. To the extent that wearing the CL-17 now just feels awful.

Not really sure what I'm going to do with the CL-17 at this point but at least I have a backup. If anyone is wondering what the step up from a $125 helmet to a $490 helmet is like, it's significant and worthwhile.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
RF-1200 club :hfive: Shoei is legit and generally you get what you pay for. I find a great helmet pays dividends in helping me feel comfortable, relaxed, and attentive on the bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, I've got a CL-17 and it feels absolutely fine so remind me not to try anything else any time soon -- sometimes it's better to live in ignorance :q:

e: Though I mean the RF-1200 isn't THAT much more expensive so I'm not sure what I'm balking at.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I also started with a CL-16 and later got an RF-1200 and it's definitely a big step up.

The CL-16 is fine, just fine, but it does feel like more of a "spare helmet to fart around at the cabin" sort of thing now. The Shoei is just nicer all around.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I also did HJC->Shoei RF-1100 and now I've got an Arai and honestly kinda wish I'd just gotten an RF-1200 instead. Don't get me wrong the Arai is plush but it's got its annoyances and the difference in price wasn't worth it imo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It would be interesting to try an RF-1200, if only that were possible in today’s world.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did a Scorpion whatever with a forehead Hotspot to an RF-1100 and the drat Shoei fits like a glove. Of course now it's time for a replacement and forget it man it's Coronatown.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

You know Revzilla has free returns right? Order all the stuff you're looking at and then return whatever doesn't work. It's almost like being there!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

You know Revzilla has free returns right? Order all the stuff you're looking at and then return whatever doesn't work. It's almost like being there!

yeah revzilla rules. I did this to find exactly what summer gloves are actually worth buying

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah +1 for Shoei. I replaced an elderly XR-1100 with an X-Spirit 3 (X-14 in the US for some reason). Fits really nicely but the thing I like best is how stable and resistant to buffeting it is.

I just bought some JBL helmet speakers with a plan to attach them to a cheap Bluetooth receiver so I can listen to music, I tried in-ear noise isolating earphones last year but it never worked that well.

These speakers https://www.polo-motorrad.com/de-ch/cardo-jbl-audio-set-45-mm-41917200000.html

And a receiver like this https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/product/xiaomi-bluetooth-audio-receiver-receiver-bluetooth-audio-adapters-10032225

Anyone done something like this? Does it work? I don't want / need a full on intercom thing.

Just saw the UK helmet safety rating system which seems pretty good https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/sharp-testing/
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shoei-x-spirit-3/

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 1, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

IMO It's even better than being there because at home you can spend hours if you want hemming and hawing over minor stuff without the pressure of wasting some sales person's time and patience.

In fact speaking of the RF-1200 that's exactly what I did when I was shopping for mine. I spent the better part of a day at home test wearing a small vs. a medium with various sizes of replacement cheek pads, which would have been impossible in a store. I'm glad I did too because I ended up deciding on the medium even though my previous RF-1100 was a small.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, there's something to be said for having someone experienced guide you through the buying process.

When I bought my first helmet I put on a L CL-17 and I was like "hey this is awesome, it feels great!" and then the guy asked me to shake my head and then laughed as he handed me a size S.

Granted I wouldn't make that mistake today so it's not really super relevant to this specific discussion but still useful for new riders.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

On the other hand, there's something to be said for having someone experienced guide you through the buying process.

When I bought my first helmet I put on a L CL-17 and I was like "hey this is awesome, it feels great!" and then the guy asked me to shake my head and then laughed as he handed me a size S.

Granted I wouldn't make that mistake today so it's not really super relevant to this specific discussion but still useful for new riders.
I didn't get a properly fitted helmet until like helmet number three. First, nobody at the store cared enough to help me with a fitting, so I navigated the process all by my lonesome. The next helmet I ordered online, trying to get the size right with the measuring tape, and was still off. Yeah. Had to mess with padding and even melt some styrofoam at the worst contact point. Doesn't help, that the helmet shape is not clearly advertised on the label. and also the different manufacturers have different idea of what constitutes small medium or large.

This is why I RevZilla store was so revered, they actually had knowledgeable people being the counter, although I'm not sure if they still do with the new ownership. Cycle gear stores are a wash.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Totally fair point. I also lucked out. I walked into a small mom and pop LBS on a whim and told the older guy there that I had no idea what I was looking for but I was taking our MSF equivalent in a month and needed something that I wouldn't immediately regret buying without breaking the bank. For as little as I paid, he spent a lot of time with me and walked me through a few helmets.

I don't think I have the option of going Revzilla but I think Fortnine offers free returns too so I might go helmet shopping if these are as good as everyone says. Road noise is my number one complaint, but it's been mostly eliminated by the earplugs. If I can get that down even further.......

... but later.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 1, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The RF-1200 is said to be exceptionally quiet for a street/track helmet, but I never really noticed with earplugs in myself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's aerodynamically very quiet, so all the noise comes from air going up the neck hole. As a street helmet you'll notice it gets significantly quieter when you sit upright than when you're hunched over. Because the noise is coming from the neck, you can also quiet it down a ton (this applies to most helmets) by wearing a light scarf that blocks that area. Just make sure to keep it tucked inside your jacket so you don't Isadora Duncan yourself

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interesting, as I usually ride with at least a bandanna to keep my neck warm or cool (wet) depending on the weather.

I do enjoy how I had no major motorcycle spending upcoming, but now I'm looking at a six hundred dollar helmet just to shut the noise down a little.

Does the RF-1200 have cutouts for speakers? I have the JBL Cardo system and right now it's just kind of jammed in behind the padding but without specific cutouts so it felt awkward until I got used to it, or the padding adjusted, or whatever happened that I don't notice anymore.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It's aerodynamically very quiet, so all the noise comes from air going up the neck hole. As a street helmet you'll notice it gets significantly quieter when you sit upright than when you're hunched over. Because the noise is coming from the neck, you can also quiet it down a ton (this applies to most helmets) by wearing a light scarf that blocks that area. Just make sure to keep it tucked inside your jacket so you don't Isadora Duncan yourself

IIRC it also comes with a mesh neck skirt instead of being sold separately.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Does the RF-1200 have cutouts for speakers? I have the JBL Cardo system and right now it's just kind of jammed in behind the padding but without specific cutouts so it felt awkward until I got used to it, or the padding adjusted, or whatever happened that I don't notice anymore.

It does indeed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Interesting, as I usually ride with at least a bandanna to keep my neck warm or cool (wet) depending on the weather.

I do enjoy how I had no major motorcycle spending upcoming, but now I'm looking at a six hundred dollar helmet just to shut the noise down a little.

Try getting a light scarf and bundling it around your neck before you buy a new helmet.

Yes, the RF-1200 has removable speaker cutouts.

timn posted:

IIRC it also comes with a mesh neck skirt instead of being sold separately.

It does, and it helps, but not as much as a scarf.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Gotcha, on the subject of scarf wear I got one of these years ago from a goon recommendation and it's basically magic for stopping wind and insulating between the head/neck and neck/jacket collar.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I feel lucky to be near Performance Cycle here in Denver. They are well staffed and no commission, and will spend a lot of time with you on helmets.

I tried on dozens before I found the GT-Air fits me perfectly, too bad the new ones lose the D-ring. I’m probably going to have to switch to Arai next.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It really was a special feeling to have $2500 worth of new helmets show up at my door one day. It was sad I had to send all but one back. I do that with all my gear buys though, I'll even get the really unaffordable stuff just to see what it's like. Revzilla has been just unbeatable in that regard.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just decided to wash my helmet liner for the first time since I got it four years ago, and when I took it off I realized the helmet I bought in June 2016 was made in August 2015. So do I only have until August of this year until I should replace it? I had been planning on spring 2021.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ulf posted:

I’m probably going to have to switch to Arai next.

Why is that? Aren't rf1200 D ring for example?

I got my previous girlfriend an Arai, cool looking helmet but the visor system sucks compared to Shoei.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 2, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I also have an RF-1200. It was roughly double what I was planning to spend, but it was the most comfortable/best fitting of the 3 helmets I tried on, and I figured a helmet is probably one thing that's OK to splurge a little on. I installed a Sena 10C on it the other day and am fairly pleased with how it turned out. I was a little afraid of breaking something taking out the cheek pads, chin curtain, etc., but it was pretty simple. My ears (and hearing protection) actually fit in better now with the speakers installed and the filler pads removed. I unknowingly did not snap the left cheek pad all the way back in and it was surprisingly painful when I took the helmet off.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

Why is that? Aren't rf1200 D ring for example?

I got my previous girlfriend an Arai, cool looking helmet but the visor system sucks compared to Shoei.

The GT air is not even close to the same internal shape as the RF-1200. It's pretty close to a long oval.

I'm cursed with a long oval head and the only helmets I've ever found that actually fit right are Arais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
GT Air 2 dropped the d Rings, that's what they meant.