Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't really drink much but I liked Maggie Choo's on Silom road a while back. Has a dress code. I also liked Tep Bar. Basically I find really creative, yuppy/hi-so or faux-old style bars to be better than dive/actual old bars but that's a personal preference I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Getting a renewed passport was super easy and fast:

Step 1: wait until less than 2 weeks before you leave, probably the Wednesday before
Step 2: schedule an expedited passport appointment at a major passport office for the next day (preferably on a Thursday)
Step 2.5: go get passport photos taken at any Walgreens or CVS for $12-16
Step 3: show up early, fill out form, get in line, smile, etc etc, they'll offer for you to pick up your passport tomorrow. At this point you have to prove your urgent travel. I only had to show the agent a copy of my email confirmation on my cell phone through the glass. I'm not suggesting you commit a Federal crime and forge this, but this is the only thing (besides the $60 expedite fee) that is required to do next day processing. Go ahead and request the 54 page passport, you'll thank yourself in 8.5 years.
Step 4: show up around an hour early for your pick up appointment. Since the printing guys want to leave early on Friday your passport has probably been sitting waiting for you since 10am

That's it. Landing in Saigon on Wednesday, hopefully with three job offers waiting for me back home.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

so bali is about to blow up

https://twitter.com/adharves/status/911809336074108928

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It'll blow up as I'm about to fly home and I'll be trapped for a while probably

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hopefully the ash and lava is centred around Kuta

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Should have covered that Chinese statue sooner. Obviously, this is retribution.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
From the local talk in Jogja, gunung Merapi is due for an eruption soon too. It usually goes every five years, and it's already been seven. (this is just what people say, which is not based on science at all) Living surrounded by volcanoes doesn't seem very fun

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What's the best way of watching Muay thai in Bangkok? Of course I am leaving Thursday...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

nervana posted:

What's the best way of watching Muay thai in Bangkok? Of course I am leaving Thursday...

Um, in person? There's a new stadium on Ramindra and also eastern Sukhimvit

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im flying to bali tonight, maybe lol 😁 😁 😁

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is the food actually nice in those restaurants? I drive past one all the time but have never gone in

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fridge corn posted:

im flying to bali tonight, maybe lol 😁 😁 😁

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/26/bali-volcano-eruption-seismic-activity-mount-agung

quote:

Bali’s Mount Agung is experiencing unprecedented levels of seismic activity and could erupt in a “matter of hours” if continuous tremors occur, Indonesia’s volcanology centre has said.

More than 75,000 people have been evacuated in the last few days as Agung, the highest point of the island, has experienced hundreds of internal volcanic earthquakes.

“Instrumentally we have never recorded such high energy or seismicity from Mount Agung,” Devy Kamil Syahbana, a seismologist from Indonesia’s centre for volcanology and geological hazard mitigation, told the Guardian.

Data showed that Mount Agung experienced 844 volcanic earthquakes on Monday, and between 300 and 400 earthquakes by midday on Tuesday, he said. “We need to pay attention because these kinds of earthquakes indicate the movement of magma and increase the probability of an eruption.”

lol good luck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

thank you, i cant wait to fly straight into an ash cloud and die horribly 😁😁

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bardeh posted:

Is the food actually nice in those restaurants? I drive past one all the time but have never gone in

It was pretty darn good, really.
I had roast duck with lychee and my wife had a tofu curry, and we had mango with sticky rice for dessert. The tofu in particular was nicely crispy, but it was all good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What's fun in KL? Unless the ash cloud drifts up and messes with my flight, I'll be there next week.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Ya, Cabbages and Condoms is pretty good actually. A little pricey but not exorbitantly.

Had some curry dish with crab that was excellent there I remember as well as a few other dishes that were all good.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

fridge corn posted:

thank you, i cant wait to fly straight into an ash cloud and die horribly 😁😁

you'll be okay as long as you're not with air asia

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

we are flying Qatar

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

It's fine, but I wouldn't make a special trip. It's got the usual slightly-too-clean faranged up thing going on, which means much better ingredients, but hollowed out flavors. Good cause and all and Mechai is a good egg (etc, etc), of course.

Of the cleaned up places these days, Supaniga is very reliable and offers some seriously out-of-pocket dished for Bangkok. The moo chamuang is fantastic, for example. Baan Ice has gotten big, but isn't as good since the kids took over. Krua Kleng Pak Sod is good, but expanding too fast and overrated. Thai Niyom just opened up at Mahatun Plaza and I very strongly recommend it. They specifically avoided sweetening everything up to match Central Thai palates and the Chanthaburi Curry is something I've never seen before anywhere. It's new, so I dunno about how it will pan out long-term, but the team behind it is one of the best in town.

As with most things, the best thing to do is look for the old mom and pop place that specializes in a couple of things and go there. Amazingly, some regional cuisines don't even exist in Bangkok, but you can get about 90% of everything, even if it's not 100% authentic.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Pirate Radar posted:

What's fun in KL? Unless the ash cloud drifts up and messes with my flight, I'll be there next week.

Eat. Eat everything. Roti canai for breakfast, nasi lemak for lunch, laksa for dinner. Snack on popiah and durian.

Batu Caves if you want an excursion out of the city. Go up the Twin Towers, just make sure you book ahead and it's a decently clear day. Petaling Street and Chinatown are interesting enough, though pretty standard as Chinatowns go. If you want to go drinking head for Bukit Bintang, though alcohol tends to be pricey because of the whole Islamic country thing. There's an Islamic art museum which is quite cool too, though remember Islamic art is almost entirely patterns, shapes and geometry.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the food really is stellar.

Also, one thing I really enjoy doing is innocently asking Chinese taxi drivers things like, "Where is a good nasi kandar?" or "What is a 'bumi' - I keep hearing that word?" and enjoying their lengthy diatribes. It's like riding around with Ethnically Chinese Archie Bunker.

YOU SEE NASI KANDAR CLOSE EH? DIRTY AH. SO FILTHY PEOPLE! NOT CLOSE NOT CLEAN EHHHH...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
AIYOHHHHH

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Currently at a thai wedding:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ladron posted:

dude's making it work for him

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Matching Crocs and handbag, I see he's been taking fashion lessons from Queen Elizabeth II

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ladron posted:

You most certainly are!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ReindeerF posted:

Of the cleaned up places these days, Supaniga is very reliable and offers some seriously out-of-pocket dished for Bangkok.

Named after a flower, so not as 70s exploitation movie themed as you might first think.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hi thread. I'm planning a trip for a couple of weeks to the Philippines leaving in about 3 weeks. Before we get to the Philippines we were going to go somewhere else and also because that's cheaper to fly to the Philippines that way. The options as it looks are:

- Singapore
- Jakarta (cheapest flight but has a stop in Singapore)
- Ho Chi Minh city (second cheapest flight, direct)
- Bangkok

My girlfriend, who I am travelling with, has been to Bangkok, Singapore and I think Ho Chi Minh before but would go back to any, I have only been to Bali twice in SE Asia. We would probably spend about 4-5 days in the place we choose. I want to go to all of those places but I'm struggling to make a decision. Please help! Need to book tomorrow ideally.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Red_Fred posted:

Hi thread. I'm planning a trip for a couple of weeks to the Philippines leaving in about 3 weeks. Before we get to the Philippines we were going to go somewhere else and also because that's cheaper to fly to the Philippines that way. The options as it looks are:

- Singapore
- Bangkok

My girlfriend, who I am travelling with, has been to Bangkok, Singapore and I think Ho Chi Minh before but would go back to any, I have only been to Bali twice in SE Asia. We would probably spend about 4-5 days in the place we choose. I want to go to all of those places but I'm struggling to make a decision. Please help! Need to book tomorrow ideally.

you should go to bangkok and have wild threesome sex with a bunch of transexual prostitutes, ideally in a back alley opium den.

otherwise, maybe mention what you like to do on vacation...

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

pho or pad thai?

that's how I'd decide it

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Jakarta is currently experiencing flooding (which is normal) because it's rainy season so keep that in mind

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Currently in Ho Chi Minh City

Coming from San Francisco... where are all the homeless people? Especially after having been to places like Manila, the city center is remarkably clean. In three days and a significant amount of wandering about, up and down alleyways etc I haven't seen any kind of crime and only a single person (with one arm at that) has asked for money so far.

I see an article about sweeping up the poor in a December 2014 news breif, three years ago, and it looks like they did a gang sweep of the city in 2016. Slightly concerned about where the poor went and where these "social centers" went, no additional detail on what these centers are or how they're funded, where they are etc seems equally as likely that the poor were ground up as soylent or something like sent to a concentration camp etc.

Either way, city center is super clean, very, very surprised for a city of 8+ million.

Looks like we're following the standard vietnam backpacker route, heading to... Muh Ne, then Nha Trang, then a big trip north to Hoi Ann, Da Nang, Hue, anything inbetween Na Trang and Hoi Ann worth stopping in? Local knowledge about the route not covered in Lonely Planet etc. Going to spend ~10 days going up the coast probably. Thanks

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ladron posted:

you should go to bangkok and have wild threesome sex with a bunch of transexual prostitutes, ideally in a back alley opium den.

otherwise, maybe mention what you like to do on vacation...

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

pho or pad thai?

that's how I'd decide it

Scylo posted:

Jakarta is currently experiencing flooding (which is normal) because it's rainy season so keep that in mind

Yeah good point. In the Philippines I'm going to be diving and bodyboarding as well as checking places out so I won't need any of those activities for this part. I just really want to eat good food, see neat things and take in some culture (man that sounds cliche as gently caress).

Steering away from Vietnam as I really want to spend more time there so I think I might be disappointed if we just go to Ho Chi Minh for 4 days or something?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

- Singapore
- Bangkok

I've been to Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok. They are quite different.

HCM is very clean and tidy for an SEA city, Bangkok is pretty messy. Rat's nest wiring, street vendors, smells, etc. Doesn't bother me, though.
Nightlife, Bangkok wins by a mile, whether you want to go to red light areas or not. HCM / Vietnam is still communist and very conservative. I wouldn't call it totally boring, but borderline.
Food I guess is a matter of taste; Vietnamese food isn't bad IMO, but it's a bit too raw and salad-y, while Thai food I fuckin' love.
Prices, about the same.
Attractions, HCM is fine, but Bangkok certainly has more to see. I'm also a big fan of the buddhist architecture.
English-speaking ability: My experience was that the vietnamese were pretty terrible, Bangkok will have all-round better English due to more tourists.
Also, again with the communist thing, there is a bit of a dull vibe of HCM, particularly in the evening. It's very quiet and tidy, stuff closes early, and I just prefer the chill, do-whatever vibe of Bangkok, but to each their own.

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah good point. In the Philippines I'm going to be diving and bodyboarding as well as checking places out so I won't need any of those activities for this part. I just really want to eat good food, see neat things and take in some culture (man that sounds cliche as gently caress).

Steering away from Vietnam as I really want to spend more time there so I think I might be disappointed if we just go to Ho Chi Minh for 4 days or something?
That's fine, I was only there for 2½ days and I still enjoyed it. 4 days will allow you to see all major attractions for sure.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ended up going left field and booking Shanghai! Thanks though everyone.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Hadlock posted:

Looks like we're following the standard vietnam backpacker route, heading to... Muh Ne, then Nha Trang, then a big trip north to Hoi Ann, Da Nang, Hue, anything inbetween Na Trang and Hoi Ann worth stopping in? Local knowledge about the route not covered in Lonely Planet etc. Going to spend ~10 days going up the coast probably. Thanks

I've just spent 6 months in Da Nang, we're moving to HCMC tomorrow, after my partner didn't find any good work here. You'll have fun for 1-2 days in Hoi An. From Hoi An, you can do a day trip to My Son, old (like 1,500 years old) Hindu ruins, it's pretty quaint and interesting, like a tiny Borobudur. Da Nang has nothing impressive, apart from a couple museums, if you're into that.

If you can, I'd definitely recommend going to Hai Van Pass (about 30km north of Da Nang, halfway to Hue). It's an old French fort on top of a peak, it's literally IN THE CLOUD (Hai Van means "sea of clouds"). It's quite touristy but very nice to see. There are motorbike tours going there, I'd definitely recommend riding to Hai Van instead of going with a car/minibus.

Mui Ne is full of Russian tourists, it's surreal. Nha Trang can be chill, there's a big amusement park/aquarium (Vinpearl Island) if you like these things.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Currently in Ho Chi Minh City

Coming from San Francisco... where are all the homeless people? Especially after having been to places like Manila, the city center is remarkably clean. In three days and a significant amount of wandering about, up and down alleyways etc I haven't seen any kind of crime and only a single person (with one arm at that) has asked for money so far.

I see an article about sweeping up the poor in a December 2014 news breif, three years ago, and it looks like they did a gang sweep of the city in 2016. Slightly concerned about where the poor went and where these "social centers" went, no additional detail on what these centers are or how they're funded, where they are etc seems equally as likely that the poor were ground up as soylent or something like sent to a concentration camp etc.

Either way, city center is super clean, very, very surprised for a city of 8+ million.

From hoi an you can take a ferry (2 hrs? I think) to the cham islands. it's pretty out of the way with some nice secluded beaches. spent a night there. It was a nice little diversion from the usual tourist trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

fridge corn posted:

From hoi an you can take a ferry (2 hrs? I think) to the cham islands. it's pretty out of the way with some nice secluded beaches. spent a night there. It was a nice little diversion from the usual tourist trail

Cham Islands also have pretty good scuba diving and snorkeling, you can also do day trips (leave at 9am, come back around 5pm), it's worth it.