Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It seems like people just gave up on whole game doom 2 runs for years, then all of a sudden are trying again. Would love to see some doom 1 episode records broken too.

Every few years people come back to Doom, realizing it's one of the best FPS ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bar glides are still the coolest.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, I used to have a MOD song that used Quake 1 sound effects, most notably the pipe bomb bounce sound, to make some lovely 90s techno. I really wanted to link it and listen to it again, but I can't find it for the life of me :smith:

Of course googling "Quake MOD" does nothing since there's so many mods.

If any of you know what I'm talking about I would be eternally grateful.

Shadow Hog posted:

I vaguely remember a music module using Quake sound effects, yeah. As I recall it starts off with the wind gust noises that the game's teleporters typically make, right? Might still have it - on another computer than the one I'm currently using, but nevertheless...

Zaphod42 posted:

Teleporter sound at the beginning sounds right, although I'm not sure.
Well, for what it's worth: found the track I was thinking of. No idea if it's what you were thinking of, though (that's clearly the axe clink rather than the pipebomb clink).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm beta testing an indie game, and seeing the gliding in that speed run inspired me to try similar things in that game. It actually worked, I'm pretty proud of myself even if it wasn't in Doom. :v:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, for what it's worth: found the track I was thinking of. No idea if it's what you were thinking of, though (that's clearly the axe clink rather than the pipebomb clink).

Holy crap, where did you find this? It's hilarious.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

this is amazing.

this was linked before but I'm linking it again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaU9CaSeCE

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Hahaha this is perfect.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

Holy crap, where did you find this? It's hilarious.
2005 Internet.

I'm thinking it was YTMND, but hell if I can remember anymore, it was roughly ten years ago.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

There are special instructions for playing Aliens TC with chocolate doom: http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Aliens_TC It's definitely worth playing a little bit as it was the first TC that really blew people's minds. I remember playing it at the time and being scared poo poo-less of the aliens. Lots of great tension and build up.

Tried that command from the CD wiki but there's no change from what I get when I just point a source port at the .wad files I generated from my Doom2 installation. There must be something higher up going on because this is now the same result from both an Ultimate Doom updated version and a 1.666 Doom II version. I'm seeing stuff like the armor pickups flicking back and forth between the custom sprites and ceiling lamps (I'm guessing they used the bar from the lamp as part of the armor sprite and the engine doesn't know it's supposed to hide the original sprite):

And then there's these weird sprites that I think are supposed to be just general structure damage to the floor or ceiling, but they're floating in the middle of hallways and I can't walk through them. Also there's dripping slime sprites but the floor portion is also floating in air:

Too bad cuz this does look really cool, and I can believe the stories about this basically overshadowing the release of Doom II for a time. some things just weren't meant to be :(

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

reposting this one because it seems someone met the ol' "how the hell do I run Aliens TC" problem:

laserghost posted:

I've assembled together the fixed by Quasar version of Aliens TC, Freedoom IWAD (the 4-episode one, mimicking Ultimate Doom), and GLBoom+. Works straight from the box after unzipping and running alien.bat It's the second episode that has the main campaign, the first one crashes, and the third has some bonus maps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9urrotuc6rhsre/atcud20.zip?dl=0

For further reference, the commandline for sourceport is
code:
-file alitcsf.wad alitcsnd.wad atclev.wad -deh atcud19.deh
and if you want to run this mod in other port, you need to move those files and use the same parameter.

If you don't trust the download link provided by me, you can just use the commandline parameter with your sourceport of choice.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428164&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just wanted to link this thread for a game I played since it came out. Since I've been going through my list of Source games, I found this gem on my list. After a year, I decided to pop it back in just to see if the hype at the time was overrated and no, it's still a very weird but enjoyable experience.

And yeah, I'm talking about E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Despite all its flaws, it's just a silly little stylish game you'd want to play every now and then. To this day I have no idea what's going on in this universe and the characters, but goddamn it I'm as interested as a child trying to eagerly make sense of an adult conversation.

It also got some cool maps and mods too.

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reinstalled Unreal; this time around it's Gold, although I can't imagine it makes much difference beyond Return to Na Pali being present (and the game gaining UT99's menu). My old saves seem to be compatible, at least (although I had to manually load them via the console, since the Load dialog wouldn't recognize them) - was worried they wouldn't be for some arbitrary reason.

Terraniux sucks. I've tried playing Unreal twice now, but this is the stage that killed all my momentum each time. I just can't make heads or tails of where to go; everything looks the same and there's little indication of where I should be focusing on (I'm guessing the gardens up top, since I've got access to them, but nothing obvious stands out up there). Bleh. I'm going to get through it at some point, though, surely.

Also kinda wish you could enlarge the HUD without lowering the screen resolution. I mean, UT99 can do it...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I strongly suggest playing it with oldskool amp'd and the module that lets you use the Operation Na Pali hud. It's massive and terrible, but that's better than unusably tiny.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

And yeah, I'm talking about E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Despite all its flaws, it's just a silly little stylish game you'd want to play every now and then. To this day I have no idea what's going on in this universe and the characters, but goddamn it I'm as interested as a child trying to eagerly make sense of an adult conversation.

You've probably figured that EYE is basically off-model Warhammer 40k fanfic in game form.

Which makes it extra cool that Games Workshop gave them the Deathwing license and they're working on a new Space Hulk FPS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIopmJhVQzs

Unreal 4 engine and everything. Pretty fancy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I have somehow fumbled my way out of Terraniux and into whatever map comes after. It looks like some kind of temple stage, which bodes well. Things are looking up!

Also I see the Bio Rifle sucks just as much in Unreal as it does in Unreal Tournament.

Elliotw2 posted:

I strongly suggest playing it with oldskool amp'd and the module that lets you use the Operation Na Pali hud. It's massive and terrible, but that's better than unusably tiny.
It looks like those are mods for UT99 rather than Unreal. While I gather they're relatively faithful ports of Unreal in spite of that, wouldn't that still necessitate starting the game over?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadow Hog posted:

It looks like those are mods for UT99 rather than Unreal. While I gather they're relatively faithful ports of Unreal in spite of that, wouldn't that still necessitate starting the game over?

It should be able to load the saves, since the games are basically identical.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

...Wait, I missed a Dispersion Pistol upgrade in Terraniux. Dammit. Guess I gotta backtrack a smidgen.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

uncleKitchener posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428164&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just wanted to link this thread for a game I played since it came out. Since I've been going through my list of Source games, I found this gem on my list. After a year, I decided to pop it back in just to see if the hype at the time was overrated and no, it's still a very weird but enjoyable experience.

I've always seen this and Steam keeps recommending it to me but I've been hesitant because of its alleged impenetrable-ness. Maybe I'll jump on it next time I see it on sale.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wamdoodle posted:

I've always seen this and Steam keeps recommending it to me but I've been hesitant because of its alleged impenetrable-ness. Maybe I'll jump on it next time I see it on sale.

It's not that impenetrable, it's just really batshit.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

It's impenetrable in that you'll never figure out all the bizarre batshit metaphysics badly translated from French. The gameplay is complex but not to the point where you can't figure out without a wiki or anything like that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's based on some warhammer 40k fanfiction setting that some french guys made for a tabletop game so that's where a lot of the confusion comes from. otherwise it's relatively easy to figure out barring the times when your brain explodes because you got counter-hacked by an ATM or some poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EYE's always been sort of weird to me because it's not exactly difficult to translate French to English (or vice versa). It's not like you're dealing with two incredibly disparate languages that are unlikely to have individuals who can competently speak both. You're not, like...translating Hebrew into Icelandic or something. But I suppose that's part of the game's allure, trying to decipher dialogue, never knowing if the message is obscured by translation or narrative fever-dream.

I'd like to think I enjoy games weird FPS-RPG games. Obviously there's stuff like the STALKER series, but I also liked The Precursors, an ambitious (if broken) Russian Sci-Fi; I even liked Boiling Point, another hopelessly flawed game by the same company. That being said, I tried to get into EYE but I just couldn't enjoy it. Don't know why. The guns felt solid, the world was refreshing and memorable in a "Dark City" meets Warhammer 40K sort of way, and there were plenty of weird tricks and quirks to discover...but it just didn't click with me for some reason.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 16, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of the gameplay really is solid in a way that's nice to play with but i think it gets bogged down by the absolutely huge amount of weird rpg poo poo you need to manage. i feel like a game that trimmed down on some of that excess and focused more on the batshit setting along with having a fun time jumping around like the hulk and making people explode into werewolves would be a lot more accessible than the EYE we have now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EYE's always been sort of weird to me because it's not exactly difficult to translate French to English (or vice versa). It's not like you're dealing with two incredibly disparate languages that are unlikely to have individuals who can competently speak both. You're not, like...translating Hebrew into Icelandic or something. But I suppose that's part of the game's allure, trying to decipher dialogue, never knowing if the message is obscured by translation or narrative fever-dream.

"After an unending war with the metastreumonic Force, the powerful organization Secreta Secretorum you belong to is finally ready to undermine the head-strong federation, despite an intense struggle for power." "angel corp WEED (Warfare Engineering and Enforcement Division)"

I don't think they take their ~~*worldbuilding*~~ ~*~lore~*~ very seriously, given the names they use. Looks more like "here's a post stamp filled with some random bullshit plot made out of in-jokes and bad puns, now go shoot stuff".

("Streum" or "streumon" is verlan for "monstre". In gaming slang it's used kind of like "mob" in English. Using it to make a word like "metastreumonic" gives you a word that is instantly recognizable as absurd.)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, I can't really invest in the universe too much. My enjoyment comes from the silliness mostly. A colorful world where you can approach things differently in the sense that the instead of gunning down a helicopter, you can fall down on top of it from a cliff and smash it with a hammer or how when killing human enemies, you might end up killing a surgeon or a loving father or a greater demon the size of a penguin.

It's just one of those quirky games that you either get it and have fun with it or you think it's kitsch and low-quality and just leave it.

I'm more in the first category, but I see why people won't like it.

Honestly, the gameplay is fun enough for me to not care.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Running around the Electric Sheep level with Deckard's gun is fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

Nah that's sadly not it :smith:

It was definitely the pipe bomb sound. Man I'm never gonna find this stupid .mod file...

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Some bought EYE for me years ago on steam, maybe its time I finally play it. I mostly hear bad about it but you guys are making it sound fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG is giving away 30,000 copies of Rise of the Triad 2013 on their front page. Get on it!

EDIT: There's also a sale on Duke Nukem 3D, UT2004, AvP2000, SiN Gold and Shogo.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 16, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Heh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like they got...

/:)

<:cool:

...SlashROTTed.

:haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It's back again. Nabbed a copy even owning it on steam, free stuff is always welcome. Also:

The Kins posted:

EDIT: There's also a sale on Duke Nukem 3D, UT2004, AvP2000, SiN Gold and Shogo.

No reason to not own all of these.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's a little store that sells second-hand stuff, mostly videogames, movies and other things like that. They have a few PC games too that are really tempting to grab, but I already have them in better forms. But big box copies of Unreal, Descent, and SiN? drat. Also Crusader: No Regret big box.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

Also Crusader: No Regret big box.

How much. How much goddammit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Commander Keenan posted:

How much. How much goddammit.

$15, I believe it was.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
gently caress that; I'd take Unreal 1 and Sin in large box form.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

$15, I believe it was.

I like those games a lot.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Not Early FPS related but those games always seemed so awesome but I could never get them to run on my hardware back in the day.

Do they, by any chance, hold up??

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

superh posted:

Not Early FPS related but those games always seemed so awesome but I could never get them to run on my hardware back in the day.

Do they, by any chance, hold up??

The controls are a little shonky but other than that they're still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I want to enjoy DemonSteele but I can never accomplish anything in it except run into fireballs and die like an idiot. :saddowns: