Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eddain posted:

I still never figured out how that drat game worked. I just used all the rarest cards I had and restarted until I won the tournament.

Theres lots of arbitrary and nested rules the game either doesn't explain well or quite often literally never tells you. Top it off not all cards of a given monster are identical so they don't even all play the same for even more randomness.

Its also bugged and you can't actually have a full collection. FF9's cardgame sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Barudak posted:

Theres lots of arbitrary and nested rules the game either doesn't explain well or quite often literally never tells you. Top it off not all cards of a given monster are identical so they don't even all play the same for even more randomness.

Its also bugged and you can't actually have a full collection. FF9's cardgame sucks.

You can have a full collection, but only one of each card.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I thought it bugged out and even with the full collection wouldn't give you the final player rank?

Its still hot garbage and soured me on FFIX tremendously after coming down from my FFVIII binge. That and FFIX just does not a thing for me in story or setting except for Treno and its kick-rear end music.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

No. If you take the time to sperg out and get a "perfect" collection (i.e. 1 of each card with different arrow patterns and level them all up to battle class A), the title for the highest rank attainable in the card game is bugged out and triggers the "Discard a card?" dialog.

edit: This wiki page has the details.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Eddain posted:

I still never figured out how that drat game worked. I just used all the rarest cards I had and restarted until I won the tournament.

If anyone actually cares, I think it works like this

5M03

The "5" slot represents the card's attack power. All "numbers" on the cards are represented in hexidecimal, with 0 being the weakest and F being the strongest.
The "M" slot represents the type of attack power of the card. P is physical, M is magical, and X will use whichever type the opponent card is weakest against. Edit: Oh right, there's also an "A" type, which will use the strongest of all the number values on your card to attack the weakest number on the opponent card (so in this case, whether a number is an "attack" stat or "defense" stat is irrelevant, on both cards).
The "0" slot is the card's physical defense. I think. Unless I have it mixed up with...
The "3" slot is the card's magical defense.

So if you put a card down with an arrow matching up with an arrow of an opponent card, it will take your card's offensive power and compare it against the defensive stat of the appropriate attack type of the defending card.

Now throw all those rules out the window, because each card has hidden "hit points" and there is huge random variation thrown in, so even if you have an F magical attack stat matching up against a 0 magic defense, I think you still might lose.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 14, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

If anyone actually cares, I think it works like this

5M03

The "5" slot represents the card's attack power. All "numbers" on the cards are represented in hexidecimal, with 0 being the weakest and F being the strongest.
The "M" slot represents the type of attack power of the card. P is physical, M is magical, and X will use whichever type the opponent card is weakest against.
The "0" slot is the card's physical defense. I think. Unless I have it mixed up with...
The "3" slot is the card's magical defense.

So if you put a card down with an arrow matching up with an arrow of an opponent card, it will take your card's offensive power and compare it against the defensive stat of the appropriate attack type of the defending card.

Now throw all those rules out the window, because each card has hidden "hit points" and there is huge random variation thrown in, so even if you have an F magical attack stat matching up against a 0 magic defense, I think you still might lose.

This is correct except HP is even stupider than you recall as its a randomized range within your subset of values and the game still rolls dice against you so its literally hidden numbers chosen from a set of values you can't see that are then rolled against without your knowledge to see who wins. Sometimes the game even silently adds more HP to your cards but doesn't tell you!

Don't forget there really isn't anything like FFVIII's prizes to be won from the card game so not only is it unpredictable but its also rather futile.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Don't forget there really isn't anything like FFVIII's prizes to be won from the card game so not only is it unpredictable but its also rather futile.
Except for the one Card Tournament part, which can net you a pretty good accessory for the time you get it. I still would've liked there to have been some kind of prize for playing cards regularly otherwise.

And yet I make sure to get one of every card whenever I play anyway :shepicide:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Barudak posted:

This is correct except HP is even stupider than you recall as its a randomized range within your subset of values and the game still rolls dice against you so its literally hidden numbers chosen from a set of values you can't see that are then rolled against without your knowledge to see who wins. Sometimes the game even silently adds more HP to your cards but doesn't tell you!

Jesus. I played one game of it since restarting last week, and every single card the other guy had, had twice the hp when revealed. That it's randomized and the game just said 'lol, gently caress you' really disinclines me from bothering with it ever again.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The hidden and randomized hp is my only issue with the FFIX card game. Otherwise, I enjoy it quite a bit. I would like it more if the rest of the rules were more clearly explained and easily referenced mid game. I would also like it if there was a more robust system of progression coupled with rewards for playing. However, it really is just the hp thing that makes it weird. I think complaints about the card game are overblown since the remaining foundation is pretty solid.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 14, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Except for the one Card Tournament part, which can net you a pretty good accessory for the time you get it. I still would've liked there to have been some kind of prize for playing cards regularly otherwise.

And yet I make sure to get one of every card whenever I play anyway :shepicide:

If you have the Namingway card you can rename characters. Other than that the only value to cards is to up your treasure hunter rank. If they hadn't made that tournament the only one in the game and featured more of them with prizes it would have been ok but as it stands its a basically useless feature.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
All this talk about the card games reminds me of an early promotional video for Squaresoft's Playonline back when it was supposed to be a social media hub. It was originally supposed to be socialize with other players, read strategy guides, and buy multimedia, such as comicbooks and music. You could also play Tetra Master Online (6:00 in the video). However, it ended up just being the online authentication service for FFXI and the FFIX scam online supplementary walkthrough that we all know and love.

I suggest watching the full video because it's supposed to be an informational video on the service and a Japanese drama with a romance subplot. It's good to see where their priorities lied. I also like the part part where they have a son with an American accent and a mother with what sounds like an English accent. I guess old habits die hard.

Speaking of promotional videos, here is the North American equivalent that uses placeholder footage for what would be FFXI. I don't think it's a test build so much as it was a proof of concept that was hobbled together for this promotion. In addition to the hammy acting, you can see that it used footage from FFVIII and FFIX, such as pre-rendered backgrounds, world maps, and CGI cutscenes. I don't think Sirius Caves is an actual place in FFXI.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sunning posted:

Speaking of promotional videos, here is the North American equivalent that uses placeholder footage for what would be FFXI. I don't think it's a test build so much as it was a proof of concept that was hobbled together for this promotion. In addition to the hammy acting, you can see that it used footage from FFVIII and FFIX, such as pre-rendered backgrounds, world maps, and CGI cutscenes. I don't think Sirius Caves is an actual place in FFXI.

XI didn't have any pre-rendered backgrounds at all, so those were definitely all taken from other games and mocked. Nah, Sirius Caves is not in Vana'diel.

Oh god the 90s, I love that video so much. They like call up the dude half way across the planet and they're like "dude get on we need you" and he's like "okay, gently caress those guys I was hanging out with, I need to get online NOW"! Plus why even bother with a massively multiplayer game if you only play with the same 2 buddies. Just go play co-op.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

Barudak posted:

If you have the Namingway card you can rename characters. Other than that the only value to cards is to up your treasure hunter rank. If they hadn't made that tournament the only one in the game and featured more of them with prizes it would have been ok but as it stands its a basically useless feature.

Hell you don't even need to play the card game to get a Namingway card anyway. You can just pick one up in Kuja's castle. The card game is completely pointless. It'd be a fun distraction if not for the random nature of it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

If you have the Namingway card you can rename characters. Other than that the only value to cards is to up your treasure hunter rank.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't even affect your treasure hunter rank and Card Rank is purely self-contained.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

The hidden and randomized hp is my only issue with the FFIX card game. Otherwise, I enjoy it quite a bit. I would like it more if the rest of the rules were more clearly explained and easily referenced mid game. I would also like it if there was a more robust system of progression coupled with rewards for playing. However, it really is just the hp thing that makes it weird. I think complaints about the card game are overblown since the remaining foundation is pretty solid.

To be honest, my usual experience with Tetra Master is to play on and off until I get a "perfect" loss due to those random factors mentioned. It has the potential for a fun game, but losing most of your best cards because the invisible RNG decided to screw you over really sours the experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I think the apocalypse is coming:

quote:

#Android users #FinalFantasy VI will be available on the #GooglePlay store starting tomorrow! http://dlgames.square-enix.com/ff pic.twitter.com/6aRPLEadzK

Is this the first port that the Android version has beat the iOS version stateside? (where the gently caress is Android's War of the Lions, I swear to god...)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Between Bravely Default and Matsuno's new kickstarter it's apparently a good time for spiritual sequels to FF games. Apparently the dudes behind it are known for mobile games but man, if any one kickstarter is gonna succeed I really, really want it to be this one.

VVV I am, whoops!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 15, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pierson posted:

Between Bravely Default and Matsuno's new kickstarter it's apparently a good time for spiritual sequels to FF games. Apparently the dudes behind it are known for mobile games but man, if any one kickstarter is gonna succeed I really, really want it to be this one.

Heh, I think you're responding to the wrong thread. Or just bringing it up on your own, I guess. PFlats posted the following in the FF Tactics 1.3 Let's Play thread:

PFlats posted:

Figured this might be of interest to the thread: there's a new Kickstarter out for a tactics game, Unsung Story. It's being run by Playdek, who have made a name for themselves as one of the top two board game port publishers on iOS. Why do you care?
  • It's the story of the heroes of a long war who are ignored by history. Sounds familiar.
  • It's a class-based tactical RPG.
  • They're working with this Japanese dude named Yasumi Matsuno, and if they hit a stretch goal, he's going to let his friend Hitoshi Sakimoto do some music stuff. (They're the guys who made FFT, as well as Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, and FF12.)
I've never backed a video game Kickstarter before, but I'm excited about this one already. I've got a few Playdek apps on my iPad/iPhone. Their UI design is only okay, but they're otherwise drat good.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So I'm still making my way through Final Fantasy 13-2 and all the googling I've done hasn't really helped me here, but has anyone else had a problem in Archylte Steppe where you can't get the last 4 fragments (Ochu, Immortal, Long Gui, and Yomi) quests to pop at all? Do I have to complete the story? I'm kind of lost as to how to trigger the quests. Is there another Achylte Steppe era that I need to finish up or something like Yaschas Massif and the red orbs?

I realize it's been a long time passed since most of you have probably played but I figure it's worth asking here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dreffen posted:

So I'm still making my way through Final Fantasy 13-2 and all the googling I've done hasn't really helped me here, but has anyone else had a problem in Archylte Steppe where you can't get the last 4 fragments (Ochu, Immortal, Long Gui, and Yomi) quests to pop at all? Do I have to complete the story? I'm kind of lost as to how to trigger the quests. Is there another Achylte Steppe era that I need to finish up or something like Yaschas Massif and the red orbs?

I think they only pop during weather. So change the weather and try again then.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think they only pop during weather. So change the weather and try again then.

Yeah I've done that several times now. Changed the weather to something different and tried to change to the weather I want (rainy for instance) to see if that would trigger me being able to talk to the guy with the quest. Exited through the historia crux, all that. None of it's worked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/answers?qid=312459

quote:

In order to face Ochu, you must have defeated all cactaur stones. These are the fights with the Gigantaurs. Then a hunter at the Nomad camp will give you the quest for Ochu. Gigantaur isn't as tough as he looks, but if you struggle with him, you may have difficulty defeating Ochu.

Did you do that? I assume its the same prereq for the other 3 fragments you are missing.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you do that? I assume its the same prereq for the other 3 fragments you are missing.

Yeah, I've uncovered all five cactuar stones and killed the three Gigantaurs. Basically the only 4 fragments I'm missing for the era are the ones I can't seem to get at all.

e: That GameFAQs link was one of the places I saw in my search for figuring out what the hell I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'll just finish the game and come back to it.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 15, 2014

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

dreffen posted:

I realize it's been a long time passed since most of you have probably played but I figure it's worth asking here.

To get Yomi you must beat Ochu first, to get the Long Gui set the weather to Sunny, Immortal you have to beat the Cactuar statues and then a chick in the village will give you the quest (set the weather to I think Cloudy?). Ochu you as well have to beat the Cactuar statues first, then some dude in the camp or at the gate gives you the quest.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

To get Yomi you must beat Ochu first, to get the Long Gui set the weather to Sunny, Immortal you have to beat the Cactuar statues and then a chick in the village will give you the quest (set the weather to I think Cloudy?). Ochu you as well have to beat the Cactuar statues first, then some dude in the camp or at the gate gives you the quest.

Yeah I read the same stuff, where it says you need to start this monster killing at Ochu and then go on from there but the guy in the camp isn't giving me anything. I feel like this is probably not complicated at all and I'm just stupid and there's something I'm missing but I don't think there is because I've got all the fragments other than the four from the monsters, exited/re-entered through the historia crux with different weather, then switching to rainy for the Ochu), tried talking mounted, unmounted and so on.

So I guess I'll just continue and come back to it later because I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. Thank you both for the help, though.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

dreffen posted:

Yeah I read the same stuff, where it says you need to start this monster killing at Ochu and then go on from there but the guy in the camp isn't giving me anything. I feel like this is probably not complicated at all and I'm just stupid and there's something I'm missing but I don't think there is because I've got all the fragments other than the four from the monsters, exited/re-entered through the historia crux with different weather, then switching to rainy for the Ochu), tried talking mounted, unmounted and so on.

So I guess I'll just continue and come back to it later because I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. Thank you both for the help, though.

It's really weird because the Long Gui is there from the first time you show up in the Archelyte Steppe, I have no idea why he won't show for you unless you already slayed (slew?) him.

But yeah might as well go hunt other fragments down and come back to those ones. You'll probably need to go back to the Steppe for the bestiary fragment, anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pierson posted:

VVV I am, whoops!

Wrong thread or not, Bravely Default is pretty good so far from playing the demo. Only complaint would be the character models just seem off. I wasn't a fan of how they were done in Heroes of Light either though. I think it's the face on one girl in particular that just seems really off for some reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

It's really weird because the Long Gui is there from the first time you show up in the Archelyte Steppe, I have no idea why he won't show for you unless you already slayed (slew?) him.

But yeah might as well go hunt other fragments down and come back to those ones. You'll probably need to go back to the Steppe for the bestiary fragment, anyway.

Weirdly enough I restarted the game and the Long Gui finally spawned on sunny! So now I can finally do that!

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I believe that particular issue is related to the fact that the Long Gui disappears for the boss fight in the Steppe (Faeryl)? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I did have troubles getting the quests to work when I platinum'd the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was actually pretty psyched to play FF14 then it turned out they have a really weird payment system and it doesn't work for everyone and I just gave up. I'll get into it eventually maybe.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wrong thread or not, Bravely Default is pretty good so far from playing the demo. Only complaint would be the character models just seem off. I wasn't a fan of how they were done in Heroes of Light either though. I think it's the face on one girl in particular that just seems really off for some reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I dunno, Bravely Default to me is the most FF game to come out in a while. The problem I had with the models is that the drawn art for the game looks AWESOME then the chibi poo poo models look kind of bad. Like if the whole game looked like the cover art that would be amazing.

It's good looking otherwise though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The character models are going to be more "mature" in Bravely Second, so there you have that at least. The character models do have a surprising amount of polygons and detail, however.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The dumb thing that bugs me about Bravely Default is the camera angle of the battle screen. Like, it's really clearly supposed to be evoking the classic '4 guys in a row on left side, enemies on the right side' deal but it just feels weirdly cramped and doesn't look right. Obviously not a dealbreaker since it's such a minor thing but it still gnaws at me when I play it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of Bravely Default though there's a new trailer for you NA dudes about the jobs in the game.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kyrosiris posted:

So I think the apocalypse is coming:

Is this the first port that the Android version has beat the iOS version stateside? (where the gently caress is Android's War of the Lions, I swear to god...)

Nice job square, the link in your tweet doesn't even have FF6 listed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Terper posted:

Speaking of Bravely Default though there's a new trailer for you NA dudes about the jobs in the game.

Holy poo poo Merchant's have an attack called 'Big Pharma'. I love this game already.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

Hellioning posted:

Holy poo poo Merchant's have an attack called 'Big Pharma'. I love this game already.

I don't know why that was what did it, but I was just sold on this game. It heals the enemy and then they hurl money at you.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I recently got Theatrhythm and am loving the hell out of it, so I'm thinking of picking up some of the DLC. The thing is, I haven't actually played very much of the FF series (end of disc one of FF7, and I've watched people play 13 and 13-2), so I'm not actually familiar with most of the music. So my question is, what songs from the DLC would you all recommend?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Wind God Sety posted:

I recently got Theatrhythm and am loving the hell out of it, so I'm thinking of picking up some of the DLC. The thing is, I haven't actually played very much of the FF series (end of disc one of FF7, and I've watched people play 13 and 13-2), so I'm not actually familiar with most of the music. So my question is, what songs from the DLC would you all recommend?

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to break down in complete despair at your inability to tap screen at the speed of light, get Force Your Way (the FF8 boss theme) and play Ultimate Score. :getin: Almost all of the DLC Ultimate Scores are crazy difficult, but Otherworld and Force Your Way are in a class of their own.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, I thought so too. Take this box art for instance.

Lovingly shaded butt, but a face so flat that they didn't even bother with a nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Bravely Default's demo completely won me over after a bit of a rough start and it feels so much like old Final Fantasy it hurts. FFXIV has a similar feel to it as well. Square Enix games scratching that itch with no apologies? It's the 1990's all over again.

I am also super pumped at the idea of Matsuno written FFT-style game, and one where he doesn't have to manage and eventually go crazy! I really hope Unsung Story makes its Sakimoto stretch goal at the very least; 200k in one day isn't bad but it doesn't seem like a record breaker like Wasteland 2 was.