Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bobmarleysghost posted:

"...plays a important..."

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're a big dumb idiot if you ever put any of those in writing at work.

I've heard a story of someone putting "Customer is an idiot" in their notes, got fired. Next person put that "person above is not longer with the company" and, too, got fired for putting that in the notes.

Always treat your tickets like it can be read in a lawsuit. Because it may actually be pulled for evidence, as has happened.

In another cirumstance, I had a co-worker once try to type "..the user did <blah> and lost..." but it came out as "..the user did <blah> and luser did <blah> and lost..." somehow and the customer did request the notes from the case and was upset with the "luser" part. Fortunately the customer eventually understood it was a typo.
(<blah> since I don't remember the issue since this was mentioned 3 years ago)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Me: Don't re-install application it can break poo poo because a, b, and c
Them: OK!

Me: Why did you repair software?
Them: You only told us not to re-install!

:suicide:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Talking about internal knowledgebase systems, don't use salesforce for that poo poo. What a pain in my rear end.

Also: yeah don't put insulting comments on a ticket, or say it in a roundabout way like "customer didn't listen to me"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 5, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I think the worst thing I've put on a ticket so far was "Customer did not want to take recommended steps of action", which was 100% true.

I mean, yes that .pst file is going to take a long time to scan/repair because you have 80,000 emails in there sir, have you ever heard of archiving??

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, it's obnoxious that the Track 5 work is going on, especially since it means that the big-ol' ramp is out of commission, but at least the train doesn't drive PAST the station doors now since it has to stop for the construction.

Missing your connection doesn't take THAT long, though I guess the fact that only half the trains stop at Union makes it obnoxious if you miss one. Still, if you time it right, the train travel time including transfers is 30 minutes.

The RVL crowd isn't THAT bad, at least not lately. Then again, I come and go at the very start of peak hours so it's pretty reasonable for me.

Yeah, the PATH sucks. I used to take it to 14th street then walk 2 blocks, but I realized that it's worth the extra money to take the train to NYPP and then take the ACE to 14th street. It's faster and more comfortable.

Anyhoo, I'm coming from the Raritan area, so your "But it's SO LONG" :cry: cries are falling on slightly deaf ears, since I've got an extra 50 minutes tacked on to your projected commute. It's not fun, but it's where the jobs are.

True on the Raritan part but I was working in the city when I bought a house in Union, the transfer was a compromise given that anything with a direct line and affordable houses was in... well... Raritan :V

Update on the former co-worker situation: they are going to re-hire. Whew. They have me collecting info on walk-ups and call-ins, basically any interaction other than A Ticket Came In... and making a call on whether they can try again with someone a little more junior who can be paid less and trained, or someone who is basically more senior, gung-ho and knowledgable to take on some more tricky tasks and projects, but till being a helpdesk/desktop guy. However if they're still "collecting info" after six weeks, we have a problem.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey, why don't we have SH/SC NYC meets?

I'd be down if it happens close to Penn/Port Authority, or maybe we could do a separate NJ SH/SC meet.

lampey posted:

I'm biased because I work for an msp.

You could get an msp to handle the majority of the tier 1 type work and this would likely be cheaper than hiring a helpdesk and avoid having to find a new employee and interview when he inevitably moves on to a better position. Also depending on what kind of infrastructure you have now, you could have a more advanced monitoring and management system. Depending on what vendor you have now there are economies of scale like better pricing and access to support. Having coverage for normal time of or in case of an emergency is always hard to do with a small department, but an msp can help with this.

If hiring someone is difficult politically, would your company consider working with an msp?

Further outsourcing would be even more difficult. We already outsource Citrix/Windows/VMware engineering to an hourly consultant, who thankfully has been getting less work since we went to a VMware private cloud and my VCP's been showing its worth. We outsource network engineering to a CCIE who runs a consultancy. To be honest, I worked at an MSP and I don't think that an MSP would be able to handle our application support needs. I'd also need someone that I can delegate tasks to easily, rather than be told "we can't afford so many more hourly bills from the MSP, so do this in-house" by my boss. The MSP I worked at was basically "you need to call the vendor" or have the client call the vendor with us conferenced in for application support.

Where I am now they'd probably want a dedicated guy, and that'd come close to the 150% cost total for an FTE when you factor in MSP pricing in northern NJ.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A teacher called in: A student has lost one of his files, can you retrieve it from the backup?
Me: What's the file called?
Teacher: It was a bunch of As.

Me - looks in backup directory.
A.doc
AA.doc
AAA.doc
AAAA.doc
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.doc

Me: Nope.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A teacher called in: A student has lost one of his files, can you retrieve it from the backup?

A.doc
AA.doc
AAA.doc
AAAA.doc
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.doc

:aaaaa:.doc

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eh, they're .docx. Also about 10 A*.pptx files, and another dozen A*.jpg. I looked in the 18th .docx file, assuming that he only needed the latest file/version/whatever and all it was, was a picture of Putin.

Haha, and I totally missed the joke until I saw :aaaaa:'s emote text.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My task today has been to sort out our existing vendors and look for opportunities for new partnerships as my company (an MSP) goes through some changes.

Anyone have experiences offering voice (through vendors such as 2600hz or Ringio) as an add-on to other products and services? It's a new direction for us as we haven't tackled most hosted BPX/VoIP stuff yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A.doc
AA.doc
AAA.doc
AAAA.doc
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.doc

I've seen this, but with spaces. :smithicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've seen this, but with spaces. :smithicide:

What the gently caress is the possible thinking behind either of these?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Can't start a filename with a space on Windows since like forever.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

You see, you're already incorrectly assuming that there is thinking involved

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Inspector_666 posted:

gotta save fast

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Inspector_666 posted:

Downloads folder sorted by alphabetical order. I'm up to AA in my network share :getin:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had a user request a folder be restored and it was not being backed up because the folder path was more than 256 characters cause gently caress using shortened words for directories.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last week I got a ticket to restore a folder on someone's home directory.

It was pictures of their mom's birthday party from 5 years ago. Half a gig worth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

We had a user request a folder be restored and it was not being backed up because the folder path was more than 256 characters cause gently caress using shortened words for directories.

I usually get restore requests where nobody knows the name of the file/folder or any of the contents. These are of course business critical restores.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's why it's so much fun writing NTFS from another OS since NTFS supports a much wider character set than Explorer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

duz posted:

That's why it's so much fun writing NTFS from another OS since NTFS supports a much wider character set than Explorer.

You are a monster.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Who said they were started with a space?
code:
AAAA             .doc
aaaa         .docx
a .doc
aaaaaaaa   .doc

GreenNight posted:

"but i have everything neatly organized! windows let me put it there!"

Yes...because windows lets you do what you want. It's only after windows is like "wtf do I do with this"

Inspector_666 posted:

I usually get restore requests where nobody knows the name of the file/folder or any of the contents. These are of course business critical restores.

"so where did you save your quickbooks data?"

"i have no idea but ITS SUPER IMPORTANT!"

My favorite is when our software can't restore characters with special characters because we go "this is how we got the file, this is how we want to put the file back, exactly as how we got it" So they have to download it through their browser (which renames it because windows doesn't let you save files with special characters, though it'll let you rename the file to whatever you want and maybe save it through word, idk). Oddly enough, it gets renamed on our servers too because they're windows servers :downs:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 6, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boogalo posted:

Last week I got a ticket to restore a folder on someone's home directory.

It was pictures of their mom's birthday party from 5 years ago. Half a gig worth.

We've started giving people cheap SD cards to keep personal data on. Our policies forbid media on the network; we've had issues with pirated material before. Fewer than one in five of our users really keep Facebook photos or music on work machines anyway, and for them it's more convenient to keep poo poo on a removable drive than for us to swing by every month saying that we're going to have to delete their personal files in x days.

Now if we can get some folks to stop treating their email boxes like filing cabinets :S

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A ticket came in...

Subject: "Excel files wont open"

User was having trouble opening excel files from her predecessor. It turns out that there are two decades worth of tax-related spreadsheets manually named with .xlw as the extension instead of .xls. Looking at the previous user referring to all his files as "Excel Workbooks," it seems he believed the proper extension was .xlw -- which is really an Excel workspace and pops up an confirmation dialogue upon opening stating that the file could be corrupted.

Thing is, there were 4,600 file in this folder, and many of them were legitimately *actual* .xlw files.

User was informed that it would be necessary to either spend a lot of time confirming each file's actual filetype and rename each, write a funky script to try to tell the difference between binary-format .xls and .xlw files, or just deal with hitting "OK" each time she (rarely) had to refer to one of these documents.

User pretended not to understand what I was saying. User holds a recent MS from a good school in a difficult field of study, yeah right. It wasn't until after I occupied her desk for fifteen minutes going through file after file opening, confirming the file type, and closing / renaming each until she gave up the chirade and said she'd rather just put up with the prompt.

Yeah, it's trivial to play chicken with a user. I wasn't behind on deadlines, however. I'm pretty sure their entire department is.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

Would that be a client that can lose tens of thousands of dollars in a weekend outage but won't invest a few grand in their infrastructure?

Nope - got even more info on the issue and found out nobody was even working during the weekend when this problem supposedly happened. Not only did the dude lie about who he called, how many times he called, and the money lost, but other employees came in and vouched for the fact that they weren't completely down and could still get to most of their programs. A good chunk of the apps they supposedly needed were ones that hadn't even been rolled out yet for production, so nothing was lost, and the guy was being a colossal fucktard just to try to get his way. Unfortunately he ran into the one engineer that has a habit of looking at EVERYTHING and getting specifics to toss back in his stupid face, so he looked like even more of an idiot in the end. I simultaneously love and loathe those kinds of people, if only because putting them in their place is the most gratifying feeling ever.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket came in...

Subject: "Excel files wont open"

User was having trouble opening excel files from her predecessor. It turns out that there are two decades worth of tax-related spreadsheets manually named with .xlw as the extension instead of .xls. Looking at the previous user referring to all his files as "Excel Workbooks," it seems he believed the proper extension was .xlw -- which is really an Excel workspace and pops up an confirmation dialogue upon opening stating that the file could be corrupted.

Thing is, there were 4,600 file in this folder, and many of them were legitimately *actual* .xlw files.

User was informed that it would be necessary to either spend a lot of time confirming each file's actual filetype and rename each, write a funky script to try to tell the difference between binary-format .xls and .xlw files, or just deal with hitting "OK" each time she (rarely) had to refer to one of these documents.

User pretended not to understand what I was saying. User holds a recent MS from a good school in a difficult field of study, yeah right. It wasn't until after I occupied her desk for fifteen minutes going through file after file opening, confirming the file type, and closing / renaming each until she gave up the chirade and said she'd rather just put up with the prompt.

Yeah, it's trivial to play chicken with a user. I wasn't behind on deadlines, however. I'm pretty sure their entire department is.

Reminds me of when I was back in highschool, a buddy for a biology assignment was saving our report as "Assignment.bas". When I asked him why he kept typing the file extension instead of just letting Word put .doc after it he replied: ":geno: well duh, it's a biology assignment."

:psyboom:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
and that is why Windows hides file extensions as default.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
User complains all their excel documents are missing.
User is using the Open dialog within Word. Needs to switch to 'all file types'.

User complains excel documents won't open.
User is using Open dialog with Word.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Merijn posted:

Reminds me of when I was back in highschool, a buddy for a biology assignment was saving our report as "Assignment.bas".

So it can be run in QBasic, obviously.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

It's like a train wreck. I knew what was coming, but couldn't look away.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Crowley posted:

and that is why Windows hides file extensions as default.

Eh, Apple did it better back in System 7 (or did it show up in 6?). Filenames are entirely independent of the application the file opens in. That's controlled by a four-character file type and a four-character "owner" application (the default application for opening the file).

Applications owned files they created by default, so you could have two files of type TEXT that opened in different applications when you double-clicked them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

So it can be run in QBasic, obviously.

Nibbles.bas is all you need.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Weatherman posted:

Eh, Apple did it better back in System 7 (or did it show up in 6?). Filenames are entirely independent of the application the file opens in. That's controlled by a four-character file type and a four-character "owner" application (the default application for opening the file).

Applications owned files they created by default, so you could have two files of type TEXT that opened in different applications when you double-clicked them.

At least Linux generally does that as well.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Engineering Christmas came in.

Don't know what got into my supervisor, but he just bought a bunch of poo poo.

Yesterday I had to unpack:
3 new news cameras with their own batteries, mics, cables, tripods, and bags
2 new belt packs for studio mics and two I sent off for repair came back
A new pro-grade JVC camera for Commercial Production
A new closed captioning system
An entire pallet of various lengths of premade XLR cables

Everyone is happy because we were literally OUT of cameras, tripods, and belt packs (they're all broken to the point of unfixable). Also, I'm getting sick of repairing the same XLR cables day after day, so maybe some that aren't 15 years old will hold up better. Place is still a shithole, but at least there's some new stuff that won't be broken for a couple of weeks.

The closed captioning system has the Production team ecstatic since it will do live transcribing of audio so they don't have to go back and manually type out all captions on live events and replays. I'd like to bitch about the company that we're doing this through, though. They specc'd out the equipment for us to buy. The equipment is mandatory, meaning, if we don't use exactly what they tell us to buy, they won't support it. This means we ended up with a computer with 16GB of RAM and a 4790K i7. They also required we purchase a 24" glossy monitor with HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs. The program they're supplying will run perfectly fine on a lower end i5 and 8GB of RAM, the tower only offers VGA output, and this thing is going to sit in a server rack and be accessed solely remotely. It's all completely overkill and a waste of money and I hate feeling like this because I sound just like my dickhole supervisor, but we could have gotten something absolutely adequate for our needs for half the price, but I digress.

Anyways, on top of all that wasted money, I am emailed instructions on how to set it up. Some highlights:
* "Install Microsoft Teamviewer." He made it a point to reiterate that I get it from Microsoft to "avoid anything extra installing." Thanks for dumbing down the concept of malware for IT :jerkbag:
* Set up an account with administrative access with a password the same as Teamviewer's, but also have this account automatically log in.
* Turn off Windows updates immediately, without installing anything. No updates are to ever be installed.
* Don't uninstall any HP bloatware. Actually, just don't uninstall anything ever.

I set up the administrator account for our use, and did a little tweaking of some settings, and the rep flipped out about it. It's gonna be a clusterfuck.

Oh well, at least it's Wednesday.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

* "Install Microsoft Teamviewer."
* Set up an account with administrative access with a password the same as Teamviewer's, but also have this account automatically log in.
* Turn off Windows updates immediately, without installing anything. No updates are to ever be installed.

So this a windows machine that is open to the internet, running an admin account and you aren't allowed to install security updates?

No doubt they also insisted you don't run any AV software.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spog posted:

So this a windows machine that is open to the internet, running an admin account and you aren't allowed to install security updates?

No doubt they also insisted you don't run any AV software.

Security Essentials came preloaded, but he'll probably uninstall it when he sets everything up.

It can join the many XP machines we have that have non-functioning MSE on them, but I'm not allowed to install anything different on. :suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ah, yet another product line whose support team believes basic maintenance and security practices were and still are the fault of issues they can't troubleshoot, -- not their legacy codebase, lack of product maintenance and updates, or ability to work in anything but their hyper-controlled, familiar environment and use case.

Tech support homeopathy.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Swink posted:

I had calls like that 20 years ago. We'll still have calls like that in another 20 years...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Goons, need some opinions.

We have an old Lexmark T630 printer that acts as our workhorse:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_T630&segment=SUPPORTproductCode%253D&userlocale=EN_US&id=SO1603

Pretty much just shits out massive amounts of paper on a daily basis, and does label printing. I need a replacement. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Swink posted:

I have to deal with this a lot more than I would loving like.

• Locked thread