Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gotcha, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

I only use it because I'm in an apartment and I don't want to irritate the neighbors. I haven't found a silencer mute design that doesn't gently caress with your sound considerably, but this is the best I've found. It works and you learn to work around its shortcomings for the purpose of practice. In other news, I'm buying another horn and moving to a bigger place where I won't have to use the silencer.

I would think running your horn through that should be really fun. If you do anything that amuses you, please put it up for us.

ED: here's the guy with the pickups:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/safron60/m.html?item=322578320423&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Haha I actually searched back through the thread cause I knew you posted that guy's ebay shop before, but thanks again!

And ah I thought you went with the silent brass for pickup reasons, not neighbour reasons :smith: I just moved into our first home so I'm privileged to not have to worry, big I did that for the past 13 years or so, ha. What kinda horn you buying?

I also think putting my horn through the Zoia is gonna be fun! I'll hopefully have some cool stuff to share soon, if I don't get it set up a weekday night I'm def spending time Saturday figuring it out(and probably freaking my cats out in the process since they haven't heard my horn in a long time)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha I actually searched back through the thread cause I knew you posted that guy's ebay shop before, but thanks again!

And ah I thought you went with the silent brass for pickup reasons, not neighbour reasons :smith: I just moved into our first home so I'm privileged to not have to worry, big I did that for the past 13 years or so, ha. What kinda horn you buying?

I also think putting my horn through the Zoia is gonna be fun! I'll hopefully have some cool stuff to share soon, if I don't get it set up a weekday night I'm def spending time Saturday figuring it out(and probably freaking my cats out in the process since they haven't heard my horn in a long time)

Getting a cornet. Look, I've been kinda wanting to do just a few bars of all the big tunes for Maynard Ferguson, Herp Albert, and Chuck Mangione from the 70s, but all using my synth trumpet. Just for yucks. Like you could do a really fun trancey rendition of Albert's Rise, and Ferguson's Chameleon I'm thinking might be really fun to electrify. Generally I'm not a big trumpet fan and that's not the direction I want to take it, but I just thought it sounds fun. Just as a side quest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve been grappling with using a trumpet in my current track actually. Turns out trumpets are a lot more complicated than I thought and there’s like a shitload of ways to play it and I have no idea how to make them sound like other trumpets I’ve heard :negative:

Tempted to just make this into an FM track, go full Koshiro since I always rip him off anyway.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
For powering is speakers, I bought this a year ago for my work from home desk.

BT20A Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio 2 Channel Amplifier Receiver Mini Hi-Fi Class D Integrated Amp 2.0CH for Home Speakers 100W x 2 with Bass and Treble

I am not a hi-fi expert but it powers two decent bookshelf speakers that were sitting unused in my basement.

It allows me to also easily play music from our phones as well.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
They do (or did lol) make those kinds of speakers and they’re OK. Something like the 21-549B (RS cat no), I use for such purposes. Euro, beatboxes, etc drive it no problem.
Buuuut i doubt a monaural coms-grade driver is what you actually want.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dexefiend posted:

For powering is speakers, I bought this a year ago for my work from home desk.

BT20A Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio 2 Channel Amplifier Receiver Mini Hi-Fi Class D Integrated Amp 2.0CH for Home Speakers 100W x 2 with Bass and Treble

I am not a hi-fi expert but it powers two decent bookshelf speakers that were sitting unused in my basement.

It allows me to also easily play music from our phones as well.

I got a Pyle like that a couple years ago. It's great. I bet Lepai makes a decent one too for pennies.

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been grappling with using a trumpet in my current track actually. Turns out trumpets are a lot more complicated than I thought and there’s like a shitload of ways to play it and I have no idea how to make them sound like other trumpets I’ve heard :negative:

Tempted to just make this into an FM track, go full Koshiro since I always rip him off anyway.

Have you looked at what kind of voices you can find on available keyboards BTW? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the trumpet but I've been kind of impressed with the sax voices on your relatively cheap Yamahas and Casios. I wouldn't be surprised if their brass instruments are pretty nuanced.

ED: Like I've been fooling around with a PSR-290, a WK-1630, a DGX-500, they all have great sax voices.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 27, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just get a small battery powered amp like a Roland cube or a pignose (lol).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

Getting a cornet. Look, I've been kinda wanting to do just a few bars of all the big tunes for Maynard Ferguson, Herp Albert, and Chuck Mangione from the 70s, but all using my synth trumpet. Just for yucks. Like you could do a really fun trancey rendition of Albert's Rise, and Ferguson's Chameleon I'm thinking might be really fun to electrify. Generally I'm not a big trumpet fan and that's not the direction I want to take it, but I just thought it sounds fun. Just as a side quest.

oh hell yeah. some of my favourite gigs were when, during college, the "director" of our small combo would leave the gig before it was over. this meant that a) we could drink, since that was the only payment we as musicians got, and the director denied us any alcohol on any gig :mad: and 2) we could get fuckin weird with it. we had some kinda amp with built in effects, so we would play a 30 minute version of Freddie's Red Clay while having an electrified trombone, tenor sax, trumpet, and then whatever goofy poo poo our rhythm section wanted to do!

there's a specific electric trumpet reddit that i've poked at a little bit if you want to dig it; you're getting me amped to get back into it and now that i don't need to buy another piece of equipment i'm really getting amped! :science:

Pollyanna posted:

lol yeah, don't try to learn trumpet just for a single track would be my rec. brass instruments are motherfuckers, if only for the reason that you have to keep up your embouchure's muscles :negative:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can anyone toss me a small mixer recommendation? Like four or five channels is all I’ll ever need.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

soundcraft notepad 8fx

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A MIRACLE posted:

soundcraft notepad 8fx

My friend has one and recommends it so I guess +1 to this.

People on Reddit are saying Sweetwater reps told them the new SP404’s might not ship until 2022. I might wise up by then!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the 8FX has an advantage over similar size mixers with the PFL send. plus it takes a couple stereo lines which is nice if you have fancy stereo synths

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

A MIRACLE posted:

soundcraft notepad 8fx

the 12FX is like $20 more and not much bigger. Any reason to get the 8FX over the 12?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It’s smaller? Lol. If the send is also pre fader it’s better. Dude said he only wanted 5 channels

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

It’s smaller? Lol. If the send is also pre fader it’s better. Dude said he only wanted 5 channels

Good thing I was asking for myself.

Also- it’s kind of an ewaste thing. If spending 13% more gets you 50% more channels in roughly the same package then maybe it’s worthwhile from a “making this mixer last as long as foreseeably possible and for as many possible outcomes” standpoint.

TLDR: everybody says they “only need x-number of channels” and then they run out of channels and have to go buy a whole new mixer.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Good thing I was asking for myself.

Also- it’s kind of an ewaste thing. If spending 13% more gets you 50% more channels in roughly the same package then maybe it’s worthwhile from a “making this mixer last as long as foreseeably possible and for as many possible outcomes” standpoint.

TLDR: everybody says they “only need x-number of channels” and then they run out of channels and have to go buy a whole new mixer.

Get something with real faders if your getting that many channels imo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Get something with real faders if your getting that many channels imo

I had the Signature 12MTK for five years and it’s excellent, but it’s also $500 and sold out/supply chain limited in many places.

The Signature 22MTK (the one I’m hoping to eventually get to replace the 12) is even harder to find and also $900.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If you just want analog + 2ch usb check out the Yamaha MG12 (non fx version)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

New old synth day:krakentoot:

Casio 403

Picked up at the same thrift store I got the Hammond organ at for $20.

Super cheesy sounding beats/sounds but that's part of the appeal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

If you just want analog + 2ch usb check out the Yamaha MG12 (non fx version)

Is there an agreed-upon multitrack option?

I really like Soundcraft, but the Signatures are like 6 or 7 years old at this point and I’m worried about buying back in to something that’s either gonna be replaced with something newer/better or where there are newer options from other brands with better multitrack performance/quality/etc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I went with the model 12

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m honestly kind of spoiled by Vital. I don’t see many hardware synths that are as powerful. Where else can I hook up an LFO to another LFO to a volume envelope, two different filters, a phaser, and the transpose on one of my three oscillators? (not that I’ve made anything good with it :v:)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

(not that I’ve made anything good with it :v:)

I’ve been listening to Annie Lennox all night while making deliveries.

I hereby challenge you to record a cover of the eternal diamond-encrusted platinum hit, Walking On Broken Glass.

You have seven days. You can make it sound however you want. You can make it an ambient track. It just has to be recognizably Walking On Broken Glass. You are also free to ignore this challenge.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I’m honestly kind of spoiled by Vital. I don’t see many hardware synths that are as powerful. Where else can I hook up an LFO to another LFO to a volume envelope, two different filters, a phaser, and the transpose on one of my three oscillators? (not that I’ve made anything good with it :v:)
Build it yourself in eurorack?
Pretty sure all the modules you'd need for that are available as diy kits.
Probably one of those fancy wizzbang newfangled dealies like the vector synth or some sorta wave table thingamabob could do that too?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 28, 2021

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Perfect Circuit is having a Halloween sale right now, pretty decent deals on some stuff. No discount on the Hydrasynth Deluxe I've been eyeballing for a month, sadly.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
yeah, dog - some of their poo poo is hosed too

I got a hermod for 373 when they had a demo listed at 450

And a sarajewo for 373.

Good birthday.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1676391

This look like a good layout to you guys?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

They have the digit one for 729 you guys

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

At least with Hydrasynth. Although I’m sure Vital can pull off a lot of tricks the hydra can’t…

That being said, the reason why I dig hardware synths is that I can’t do absolutely everything but the limited things that I can do (usually) have a great tactile user interface that I can drill into muscle memory.

In reality though if there’s something that I need to get done for like a game or a video I’ll do it with VSTs in Ableton Live.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fats posted:

Perfect Circuit is having a Halloween sale right now, pretty decent deals on some stuff. No discount on the Hydrasynth Deluxe I've been eyeballing for a month, sadly.

The TR-6S looks so cool. Look at those colored sliders.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhhWyb_RzU

For anyone interested in the guitar amp modeling on the 404mk2, here you go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bloo bloo bloo is it time for me to sell my Zoom FX pedalboard and buy this? Maybe! Maybe!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been listening to Annie Lennox all night while making deliveries.

I hereby challenge you to record a cover of the eternal diamond-encrusted platinum hit, Walking On Broken Glass.

You have seven days. You can make it sound however you want. You can make it an ambient track. It just has to be recognizably Walking On Broken Glass. You are also free to ignore this challenge.

:lol: You know what? Sure. Challenge accepted, as long as you’re cool with something that will probably suck bad.

B33rChiller posted:

Build it yourself in eurorack?
Pretty sure all the modules you'd need for that are available as diy kits.
Probably one of those fancy wizzbang newfangled dealies like the vector synth or some sorta wave table thingamabob could do that too?

Don’t you dare put that evil on me, I like not being broke :negative:

j.peeba posted:

At least with Hydrasynth. Although I’m sure Vital can pull off a lot of tricks the hydra can’t…

That being said, the reason why I dig hardware synths is that I can’t do absolutely everything but the limited things that I can do (usually) have a great tactile user interface that I can drill into muscle memory.

In reality though if there’s something that I need to get done for like a game or a video I’ll do it with VSTs in Ableton Live.

Yeah, that’s a good reason to mess with hardware synths (aside from it just being easier to experiment on them). I think FM is the one thing I would only do in software, for importing patches and getting a harmonic range view (which I don’t think exists in hardware).

Agreed on actual production. Though mileage may vary there as well, I got a USB MIDI controller but I don’t use it cause there’s no space for it on my desk and Renoise is optimized for mechanical keyboard usage :shepface: Shoulda just gotten a Reface.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
In my boredom I connected my guitar directly into the OP-1 line in and spent some time sampling what THE COW did to it.

This thing is just dumb fun. Add the cow to everything.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

What did the cow do to it?

Just had a thrift store score of a pretty obscure Yamaha keyboard, a YPR 30, probably from the 80s or so. The most minimal keyboard I've ever seen from them, just lots of solid black, has a slightly Darth Vader look about it. It only has like 6 voices, no drums or anything, but 16-voice polyphony. Heavy as hell. Nothing but an old school electric piano, basically, looks pretty classy. I've got a feeling this one sounds pretty good. Has the old school stand that's kind of integral.

ED: Okay, it plays real nice, each one of those six voices is at least kinda good, it's a AWM (advanced wave memory, I think) device, which generally places it in the 90s for sound generation, I guess. What really matters with this is it's got a pretty responsive keyboard, pretty sensitive, and MIDI in and out. So it's got your most basics covered, and doesn't look like a toy. Everybody always asks for hammer action when I sell my cheap plastic pianos and I tell people that's a whole nother price range there guys. This is pretty sensitive.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 29, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It added a bunch of weird UFO post effects when strumming, especially the fat E string. It would also pick up low noises like thumping muted strings and make the weirdest sounds out of it.

I’m gonna have to clean it up at some point with a preamp or something because I had to have everything at 100% but after that I’m seeing some cool samples in the future.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

It added a bunch of weird UFO post effects when strumming, especially the fat E string. It would also pick up low noises like thumping muted strings and make the weirdest sounds out of it.

I’m gonna have to clean it up at some point with a preamp or something because I had to have everything at 100% but after that I’m seeing some cool samples in the future.

Well share this noise if you like.

I'm pretty excited, I liked that dumpster synth from a couple weeks ago so much I started looking up prices for working ones, found one real cheap, wound up bidding and won. Hope it works. :downsrim:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Patch sound like a flattened turd? Just set unison to three voices with 3% detune, and layer on some chorus and delay! :bubblewoop:

Why is it that unison voices + detune works so well, anyway?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Why is it that unison voices + detune works so well, anyway?

same thing/concept, introducing phase cancellation in the oscillator. Like most unison algs are stacking slightly detuned oscs. Unison where all the oscs are exactly the same just sounds like one big osc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

petit choux posted:

Well share this noise if you like.

I'm pretty excited, I liked that dumpster synth from a couple weeks ago so much I started looking up prices for working ones, found one real cheap, wound up bidding and won. Hope it works. :downsrim:

What’s the go-to way to share a sample on here? Make a SoundCloud? YouTube?