Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I guess I would be a nervous when gangs fought with explosives in my neighbourhood. But that's what I hear through the media. I was just wondering what it is like for you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mordekai posted:

I guess I would be a nervous when gangs fought with explosives in my neighbourhood. But that's what I hear through the media. I was just wondering what it is like for you guys.

I've had two bombings in my neighborhood, and one of them cost me the only good gyros place in Sweden.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mordekai posted:

They used explosives close to where I live and the perps were so incompetent i'm actually surprised the police were even moreso. Absolute loving vegetables.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A few years ago, the police station next to my apartment (like 20 meters) was blown up (in Copenhagen). That woke me up, but I didn't feel particularly unsafe. In general, I trust the gangs to not gently caress up by killing bystanders I guess.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

I've had two bombings in my neighborhood, and one of them cost me the only good gyros place in Sweden.

https://www.gyrospita.se/ still exists down here though... Warm recommendation for any Malmö-goons (how many are there of us, btw?).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mordekai posted:

The gang violence situation is obviously dire on a societal level, but I don't feel personally threatened by it.
It's 99% power struggles within or between criminal networks. I'm hardly going to be mistaken for a target.

The bombings are jarring but they're displays of power - not intended to harm or kill people. That is not to say that I wouldn't feel unsafe (or want to move) if I was living in a house where there was an explosion, but the chances of actually being harmed by those things are miniscule. A few years back, there was a bombing a block away and my biggest reaction was annoyance at the noise.

Konec Hry posted:

https://www.gyrospita.se/ still exists down here though... Warm recommendation for any Malmö-goons (how many are there of us, btw?).

Hello, Malmö goon checking in. I lived across the street from Gyros Pita when I first moved here in the early 10s. They make good pizza as well.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 18, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Someone was murdered in the middle of the day last year in front of my apartment, so as far as I’m concerned, same as it ever was. To be fair, it’s Eskilstuna so if there isn’t someone or something stabbed, shot or exploded, it’s cause for concern.

Overall though, there is absolutely something in the air. What I don’t like is that this government will avoid handling it with any sort of competency in the least and rely on pure gut emotion and red meat to their voters.

Frankly, I’m more baffled at this whole Kurdiska Räven clusterfuck. We already are being yoinked around by Turkey, and we expected them to play fair with sensitive information? In what loving world was that ever going to happen?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Yeah, it's pretty rough now. People are being robbed by the energy companies, the banks, the supermarkets and all the other employers. The police remain as useless as they have been forever.

The bourgeois traitor scum in the military and government seem to remain in power and are continuing to slowly but surely sell off this country to the angloid robber barons.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

didn’t the biker gangs in norway use explosives against one another in the 90s?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

didn’t the biker gangs in norway use explosives against one another in the 90s?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Biker_War

It has it's own Wikipedia article!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Konec Hry posted:

I said "Sweden."

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I live in one of the Stockholm suburbs where there's more violence (Husby) and have generally never felt less safe here than anywhere else I've lived. Like someone else said, the gang violence is mostly between the gangs and those unrelated to them aren't really targeted, and I'm really not likely to get confused for a member. There are more cops and helicopters buzzing around though, that's annoying if nothing else.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
funnily enough, ive had a shooting a block away from where i live in the same neighborhood, but it wasnt gang-related. just a dispute between two guys who knew each other and one went and knocked on his door and shot him in the gut. luckily survived and was conscious, mobile and in speaking condition when the ambulance came. shooter turned himself in like 2 days later.

Wasnt there to witness it though, i came home like half an hour after it happened and was wondering why there were cops all over the vändplan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here in östra rikshalvan the closest I've gotten would be that guy who put explosives in his friends car as a joke.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Pretty sure if I were to get shot it'd either be accidental or a hate crime, and at least so far I don't get the sense that trans people are getting shot here. With the current media landscape I wouldn't be incredibly shocked to see that change in the coming years though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feeling safe is definitely subjective though, I remember a few years ago taking a walk around Nørrebro with my family, and while I, my wife and my mom felt totally safe going through Mjølnerparken, my father in law was scared to death of being there (which he tried to cover up by criticizing my wife's life choices in general, it was very fun and he basically got sent home afterwards). Point is, none of us got murdered, but one of us felt like he narrowly escaped while the rest of us just went for a normal walk.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I'm joining transkriget on the side of the trans

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BonHair posted:

Feeling safe is definitely subjective though, I remember a few years ago taking a walk around Nørrebro with my family, and while I, my wife and my mom felt totally safe going through Mjølnerparken, my father in law was scared to death of being there (which he tried to cover up by criticizing my wife's life choices in general, it was very fun and he basically got sent home afterwards). Point is, none of us got murdered, but one of us felt like he narrowly escaped while the rest of us just went for a normal walk.

Last year I had cops come into my apartment with a dog looking in my wardrobe and under my bed for the killer that fled after murdering someone right around the corner.

I live in a tiny city in a middle of bumfuck nowhere and last year we've had half a dozen murders.
I couldn't find exakt statistics for murders in my city during previous years, because it's so small, but there are statistics for the county and all of the neighboring counties combined. A very large area.

Now, feel free to correct me if I'm reaching here, but I think it's fairly reasonable for me to feel a little unsafe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

endocriminologist posted:

I'm joining transkriget on the side of the trans

I'd like to have a trainskriget that I could join on the side of the trains, because gently caress...you can't get anywhere reliably without a car anymore.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Last year I had cops come into my apartment with a dog looking in my wardrobe and under my bed for the killer that fled after murdering someone right around the corner.

I live in a tiny city in a middle of bumfuck nowhere and last year we've had half a dozen murders.
I couldn't find exakt statistics for murders in my city during previous years, because it's so small, but there are statistics for the county and all of the neighboring counties combined. A very large area.

Now, feel free to correct me if I'm reaching here, but I think it's fairly reasonable for me to feel a little unsafe.

No one is saying you're not allowed to feel unsafe. I'm saying that your feeling of safety is not 1:1 related to your actual safety. For example, I'm pretty sure you feel safer from cars than criminals, even though cars are probably killing more people.

Also there's the whole issue of why have violence is going on now and what to do about it. Surprisingly, I don't think more punishment and increased racism is the solution, probably the opposite.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Look if we have to look into the causes of gang violence, then we’d have to do something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I bet it's Fortnite.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I'd like to have a trainskriget that I could join on the side of the trains, because gently caress...you can't get anywhere reliably without a car anymore.

Sounds like some kind of trains agenda, someone should make a fair and balanced documentary about it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Woebin posted:

Sounds like some kind of trains agenda, someone should make a fair and balanced documentary about it.

Look 2% of all trains detrainsition back to cars (also they may be autistic)

No do NOT look at the statistics that state that more people who get boat implants regret their surgery than trains regret theirs.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel less safe because of gang violence since there were two gang related murders within a 100 meters radius of my apartment, territorial patrolling by gang members, local gangs just hanging out outside of local schools and masked drug couriers swooshing by at very high speeds on pedestrian streets/playgrounds on their e-scooters. gently caress those gangs I wish the police had eyes in the sky 24/7 because at least then they didn't gently caress around outdoors and bother the rest of us. This was the same part of town that I grew up in and there has been a very noticeable increase in gang related poo poo during the last 10-15 years, and day and night compared to when I grew up in the area. I just moved because gently caress having kids grow up there now.

Also, the gangs give no poo poo about if you are not their target or "just live there" when they plan their activities. You, your family and friends will be subjected to the poo poo they bring anyway, all their poo poo.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 18, 2023

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Every gang member I've ever met has been incredibly unfunny and weird but I prefer them to constant surveillance

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Well, that sucks. I’ve been telling my colleague that he is a dumbass and full poo poo every time he has talked about sweden is a failed state and we have to worry tremendously about getting ‘svenske tilstande’ in Denmark.

Granted he is mostly talking about outrageous pronouns and gender quotas, but occasionally drifts into lax Swedish immigration laws and crime.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

No one is saying you're not allowed to feel unsafe. I'm saying that your feeling of safety is not 1:1 related to your actual safety. For example, I'm pretty sure you feel safer from cars than criminals, even though cars are probably killing more people.

Also there's the whole issue of why have violence is going on now and what to do about it. Surprisingly, I don't think more punishment and increased racism is the solution, probably the opposite.

To add to this, getting randomly murdered is, even in Murderville, USA is incredibly rare. You are murdered by competing criminals or someone close (most often family).

Unless things have changed lately.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I only know about one murder case in the backwater where I grew up, and it was years ago: some teenage boy had been molested by his grandfather since he was little; finally he grew big and strong enough to take an axe and put the bastard down. A tale as old as time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Potrzebie posted:

To add to this, getting randomly murdered is, even in Murderville, USA is incredibly rare. You are murdered by competing criminals or someone close (most often family).

Unless things have changed lately.

Getting randomly targeted for murder is incredibly rare.

Getting killed in the crossfire just because someone targeted the person living right next to your apartment with explosives, slightly less so.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

god loving damnit, this whole (predictable) circling of the wagons around Erna Solberg from representatives in Høyre is loving exhausting. I'm so sick of this poo poo

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it behooves all of these motherfuckers to read the long interview with Eva Joly in Morgenbladet from two weeks ago

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mordekai posted:

It's getting rough in Sweden now it seems. Most dangerous situation since 1945 according to the police.

Do the swedes ITT notice it?
What was dangerous about 1945?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
SL shutting making GBS threads down the main metro trunk this weekend will be the most excitment Stockholm has had since 1945.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What was dangerous about 1945?

feral norwegians refused to go home after the war, i imagine

ulvir posted:

god loving damnit, this whole (predictable) circling of the wagons around Erna Solberg from representatives in Høyre is loving exhausting. I'm so sick of this poo poo

i think she's dead. dagens næringsliv has openly called for her head and even aftenpoften are wobbling.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Getting randomly targeted for murder is incredibly rare.

Getting killed in the crossfire just because someone targeted the person living right next to your apartment with explosives, slightly less so.

That is still incredibly rare

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think it's perfectly reasonable to get spooked by ongoing and open extreme violence in one's neighbourhood even if the probability of being murdered randomly is statistically insignificant

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For sure

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Threadkiller Dog posted:

SL shutting making GBS threads down the main metro trunk this weekend will be the most excitment Stockholm has had since 1945.

The WWF-level drama between Region and Kommun is going to produce high octane lols and politikerförakt.

E:^^^agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

The WWF-level drama between Region and Kommun is going to produce high octane lols and politikerförakt.

It's like whatever you call a chicken race, but where everyone actually wants to angrily crash into each other.