Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yep. Opted in to the Fallout 4 beta patch and can confirm the controls work like a dream. You use the face buttons to navigate the PIP-boy main categories, the stick to scroll the sub-categories, and clicking in the stick for your favourite wheel requires you to press your trigger to select your option rather than clunkily landing on the right one. The game is so much more playable now it isn't even funny. Definitely reccomend you revisit it if you have it on the Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Yep. Opted in to the Fallout 4 beta patch and can confirm the controls work like a dream. You use the face buttons to navigate the PIP-boy main categories, the stick to scroll the sub-categories, and clicking in the stick for your favourite wheel requires you to press your trigger to select your option rather than clunkily landing on the right one. The game is so much more playable now it isn't even funny. Definitely reccomend you revisit it if you have it on the Rift.

gently caress, Yeah. That makes me so excited its not even funny. I really enjoyed the world but man I really didnt wanna mess with mods to make it playable. Sure graphic updates or feature adds im willing to work for, but basic playing? newp.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Tried that Sariento VR game you all like, fun as heck but I have a hard time standing in my small as hell playspace during it. First game to cause me to hit my furniture. Ow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stick100 posted:

A belt tracker doesn't really get you any information than the current 3 point tracking we have. It's not like people often have much of an offset between their head and pelvis location while standing up. Now people have used foot trackers to great success. When feet trackers are combined with belt, hands (controllers), and head (HMD) you can get some really convincing reverse IK animation. This has been shown many times.

This is true for a few types of games like Job Simulator. But it is ABSOLUTELY NOT true for proper full FPS experiences, like Skyrim VR or Fallout VR. A belt tracker would allow you to walk one direction while turning your head, without either A) turning your walk with your head, or B) having your walk be determined by which way your arms are currently pointing.

Neither of those is remotely satisfying. In real life we constantly walk one way while looking left and right or talking to someone. Belt tracker is a must for full VR games like Skyrim.

You should be able to walk one way A while looking another way B and shooting another way C. If you can't do that, you're going to occasionally walk the wrong direction or get turned around or something even weirder like having your "front" be your back.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 27, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Twibbit posted:

Tried that Sariento VR game you all like, fun as heck but I have a hard time standing in my small as hell playspace during it. First game to cause me to hit my furniture. Ow.

Won’t be the last time either! My finger is just now healing from a gnarly smash. Yay Vr!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My big problem with FO4VR is that even if it wasn't a technical mess the game itself looks like poo poo in VR, just a big lump of various shades of brown and grey everywhere you go. I feel like the game would need a dramatic stylistic overhaul to look good in VR.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Republicans posted:

My big problem with FO4VR is that even if it wasn't a technical mess the game itself looks like poo poo in VR, just a big lump of various shades of brown and grey everywhere you go. I feel like the game would need a dramatic stylistic overhaul to look good in VR.

Isn't that what post apocalyptic supposed to be?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Howard Phillips posted:

Isn't that what post apocalyptic supposed to be?

I think it's mostly because of the little objects that clutter the world all blur together in the lenses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any real way to search Steam or whatever for seated KB&M VR games?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Not really. I played subnautica, elite:dangerous, racing games like distance and also flight sims in seated VR

pavlov is funny in seated, just for people's reactions, but it's not w/ KB&M.

vvv welp, that's a new one on me

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ciaphas posted:

Very easily, yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

... huh. I'm so used to steam tags being the broad side of useless that I wouldn't have ever thought to try that. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh jeez do i want to play subnautica in vr

i mean i've beaten the game once so that element of fear isn't there, but still, :ohdear:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Subnautica is the prettiest vr game I've played, it was simply amazing in vr, if you already own it you definitely need to load it up to see.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand if I see another of those loving hypnosis fish i'm going to die of a stress stroke :(

But yes it's pretty enough that this is worth the risk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twibbit posted:

Pro-tip, hold a sword in a reverse grip. Makes you much less likely to smash your hand/controller into furniture.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok I am far too stoned atm to work out how the hell to use the VR Subnautica GUI when I can't see a cursor and nothing on keyboard or mouse responds

can't even load my drat save

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subnautica VR is a controller game IMO

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Are there any mods for Skyrim VR that specifically address weirdness with the VR aspects? For example, it’s pretty terrible how we have to tip toe up to an NPC to talk to them because there’s no way to put away your weapons completely (empty hands punch if you’re not careful).

I know there are tons of mods for graphics and sound but I’m just looking for stuff that makes the VR experience better, not just the usual mods everyone uses for Skyrim anyway.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Macintosh HD posted:

Are there any mods for Skyrim VR that specifically address weirdness with the VR aspects? For example, it’s pretty terrible how we have to tip toe up to an NPC to talk to them because there’s no way to put away your weapons completely (empty hands punch if you’re not careful).

I know there are tons of mods for graphics and sound but I’m just looking for stuff that makes the VR experience better, not just the usual mods everyone uses for Skyrim anyway.

Stuff like that can be accomplished with ini tweaks. Reddit has a good thread for those.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macintosh HD posted:

Wha? Hold down right grip button until the weapon goes away?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah definitely check the in-game Help Menu, the VR section specifically. It outlines all the VR stuff fairly well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

ok I am far too stoned atm to work out how the hell to use the VR Subnautica GUI when I can't see a cursor and nothing on keyboard or mouse responds

can't even load my drat save
Oh problem with not being able to see the cursor? yeah it's annoying but you can sort of tell where it is based on what it's highlighting if you move the mouse around, you need to get into the options menu and check the lock cursor to head box (or whatever the option is called) and then it'll work as expected. I think you can also just edit the ini but I'm not sure.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I just spent 2 hours in FO4 in the Rift and it was an amazing experience. Whether aiming accurately and judging distance on flying insects, or using a mini-gun on some fools in a power suit. Only thing that stopped me was a sore back from standing for hours.

I think the best part is the immersion. I don't get that playing the flat screen version and I lose interest quickly. Being in the world and feeling it all around just pulls you in.

Also, those rats scared the hell out of me when they first came out of the ground.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Stick100 posted:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what practical purpose would you see in non-social VR applications? I can see that would be useful in a social VR application, but for single player, games what would materially be different knowing someone is leaning?

I'm late, but I want to say that the first thing I did on FO4 was lean over the crib to look at the baby. And the game responded by saying that my headset was over the crib, therefore my body is too, and pushed me back.

That is the most common and consistent (since I apparently don't learn and other games do it too) awkward moment I have in VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A tracker connected to your torso also gives a body facing direction that can be used instead of controller oriented or head oriented artificial locomotion, greatly reducing the awkwardness of two handed melee combat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

well subnautica vr was certainly impressive in scale, didn't quite realize that i'm so small compared to e.g. a peeper

didn't give me the scare or immersion i hoped for because man you thought subnautica ran like poo poo before, try doubling the resolution and a clearly bolted on render path and you've got a recipe for choppy garbage

unfortunate, really

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Subnautica runs fine for me - not perfect, but playable. Unfortunately, the UI is rendered less than an inch away from my face which renders it basically unusable.

..btt fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 28, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I have Subnautica but I keep forgetting to play it in VR.

I messed with Payday 2 earlier and had a blast. The movement is a bit dodgy (using WMR, dash only until the sticks get proper support) but it's a blast to physically lean over to peek around a wall during stealth, or lean out with a gun during shootouts. This stuff is fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I played the demo for COMPOUND, and I'm pretty sure the developer is some kind of dark wizard for managing to make the enemy and object models actually look like old Wolfenstein/Doom-style sprites while still being 3D models.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Republicans posted:

Stuff like that can be accomplished with ini tweaks. Reddit has a good thread for those.

Taintrunner posted:

Wha? Hold down right grip button until the weapon goes away?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah definitely check the in-game Help Menu, the VR section specifically. It outlines all the VR stuff fairly well.

Thanks guys! I didn't realize holding the grip button stows the weapons. I'll check out that ini guide and VR section of help, which I didn't see the first go around.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Don't know if this was already posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvu5FxKuqdQ

Interesting look at the problems with Infinideck/Treadmill locomotion gadgets. Still no sign of running on Infinideck and precisely cancelling out the user's motion with treadmills is a lot hard than I'd imagined. The treadmill has to do the same precise problem solving the user's brain and legs do when the user's on a running machine if it wants to cancel out their motion so that the user stays actually stays on the treadmill.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

How's the resolution on new vive?

It's real good. Screen door is dramatically reduced. Its more significant than I expected, and is particularly noticeable for anything to do with text. Virtual Desktop is actually somewhat useful. [Edit] the other thing that really stands out to me is it fits little kids way better than the old Vive.

ephori fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 28, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I played the demo for COMPOUND, and I'm pretty sure the developer is some kind of dark wizard for managing to make the enemy and object models actually look like old Wolfenstein/Doom-style sprites while still being 3D models.

It's probably my favourite full VR game period.

You can play it so many different ways, it's a basic rogue like but it doesn't need to be any more than that.

Right next to gorn on the "must play" list , imho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ephori posted:

[Edit] the other thing that really stands out to me is it fits little kids way better than the old Vive.

Confirmed: Vive pro is for babies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jestery posted:

It's probably my favourite full VR game period.

You can play it so many different ways, it's a basic rogue like but it doesn't need to be any more than that.

Right next to gorn on the "must play" list , imho

I wouldn't call a basic proof-of-concept demo with only two weapons anywhere close to a "full" VR game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's a fantastic demo game for people past the "Throwing things in First Contact/Comfortable with Superhot" stage, though. I count GORN and Compound as two games you ought to demo people who want to get in and play a simplistic but extremely well performing and rewarding game.

GORN has gotten a lot more complex in terms of sheer weapon variety nowadays but I don't think that's a bad thing, it's definitely still one of my favourites to play (and watch people flail around in (after you've told them not to go outside the boundaries (FOR gently caress'S SAKE DON'T GO OUTSIDE THE BOUNDARI- there goes my desk lamp) ) )

Someone made a model train app and it looks adorable. Trains aren't my thing but I can imagine people who like them will have a great time with this. You can go down to train scale, climb in and control them yourself too :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25MojETXIbM

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2018

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The steam page video itself is giving me the motion sickness, I think the actual demo would kill me

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This game is cool, and I'm digging the "slide in the direction your hand is pointing" movement, with it being disconnected from the camera direction. I much, much prefer this to sliding around using the trackpad. Seems like it helps address one of the reasons why people were talking about a belt tracker (move in a given direction while glancing left and right).

I would assume this is an option in a bunch of games, but this is the first game where I've messed with slide locomotion substantially, as I'm still getting my VR legs. Now I'm gonna be sad if it's an uncommon movement option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Songbearer posted:

This rules, I bought it on a whim on sale last week but haven't tried it yet. I was prepared to do the tweaks but I just don't have the same patience for that stuff like I did as a teenager.