Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Are there any NYT crossword analogues that are decent and still free? I don't want to pay for the app, but it's very nice and has a ton of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, but man, I really want Motorsport Manager to comes out today. It was submitted to Apple, I want to say a week ago...

Anyhoo.. That would be a great surprise release tonight.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

feedtheid posted:

Are there any NYT crossword analogues that are decent and still free? I don't want to pay for the app, but it's very nice and has a ton of features.

Pretty much the only app I really miss from my old Android phone is Shortyz :(

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Dessert Rose posted:

I don't think I "get" how abode upgrades work, though. In theory, I've unlocked Next Age Abodes, a stone building of size 3. However, every building I build of size 3 comes out Grass Lodge and definitely has like half of the capacity of the new

It turns out I just wasn't making enough space. You can only build at size 3, so it takes a lot of space.

Still don't know how to make wooden buildings, but I have a city on a mountain now.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

King of Dragon Pass is semi-CYOA :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bad day posted:

I'm curious - what are the "dozens" of cyoa iOS games? The two aksys games, 80 days, sorcery!, and ????

I am really interested in developing a cyoa game and those are the only decent-looking ones I've seen. The iOS store really needs human curators, "popular" does not equal good, and it seems like a lot of games don't show up well in search.
Would Blood & Laurels count as a CYOA? I haven't actually played it yet (it's on my list) but I think it falls in that category.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

theblackw0lf posted:

Check out the "choice of games" seres. (Choice of the dragon, heroes rise, choice of broadsides, life of a wizard, and many more)

Was going to post this too, here's a link to a bunch:
http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=348940935&sort=name&dir=asc

And of course, there's Alter Ego.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

TACD posted:

Would Blood & Laurels count as a CYOA? I haven't actually played it yet (it's on my list) but I think it falls in that category.

Yup. It's okay but the stock character interactions (outside of fixed story stuff) are a bit awkward and more than a little tedious.
It's interesting how they went with a weaker protagonist and leave you with the task of keeping him alive but it's a struggle not to dislike how pathetic he is.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
On the topic of CYOA, when I was playing the Kim Kardashian game it showed me an ad for a visual novel game called "Our Two Bedroom Story" and it looks loving amazing. If it didn't cost $27 to buy all the chapters I would totally be playing it right now.

The same developers have a whole lineup of visual novel games called things like "My Forged Wedding," "Kiss of Revenge," "Pirates in Love," and "Kissed by the Baddest Bidder."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Visual Novel/Adventure Game Corpse Party comes out tonight. As far as visual novels go I heard this one was quite well received. I think this one has more interactive gaming elements though, like the Zero Escape series.

I'd love to see more Visual Novels on the iPhone. It's really the perfect platform for it. There's a bunch that already have Japanese iPhone versions (like Steins;Gate), as well as having the English translation for some other version. So I don't see why it should be too difficult to convert the Japanese iPhone version to English if the translation is already done.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 13, 2014

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

bad day posted:

I'm curious - what are the "dozens" of cyoa iOS games? The two aksys games, 80 days, sorcery!, and ????

I am really interested in developing a cyoa game and those are the only decent-looking ones I've seen. The iOS store really needs human curators, "popular" does not equal good, and it seems like a lot of games don't show up well in search.

Just made it back around the world in 79 days.

Choice of games also puts a lot of great design articles on their blog like this one. If you're interested in developing cyoa games it's a good resource.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I had a really had time not suggesting games that over a year old.

Tiny thief is pretty awesome. I played it with a 5 year old child. The game is adorable and so was the kid's reactions :3:

Yeah TT is banging. My five year old daughter three starred all the levels (well, we did it together).

Also good is Playground Wars; not sure what the genre is called, but it's a kid-themed Battlecats. It gets hard as balls but is good fun.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Elerion posted:

It might be over a year old, but is still actively supported and was updated as recently as this summer with new good features: New Star Soccer is the best game ever released on a mobile platform. There's a small paywall to unlock the full game ($2-5'ish? It's been too long) as well as some optional good value IAPs if you want to speed up progress (~$5 per 150 games for boots, trainer, agent, all well worth it but not needed at all).

I'm trying this out, and it's good so far, but the increases in NRG costs when you raise your star rating are some bullshit. Seems like out of the set of (Keep energy out of Substitute range | Train skills at all | Spend actual money), pick two, and that's leaving aside saving for things like boots and trainers, let alone lifestyle stuff. What should I be focusing on early?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any comments on Warhammer 40k Carnage?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
WH: Carnage is okay if you like those stupid endless runner games. It's a mix between brawlers and ski safari.

delfin posted:

I'm trying this out, and it's good so far, but the increases in NRG costs when you raise your star rating are some bullshit. Seems like out of the set of (Keep energy out of Substitute range | Train skills at all | Spend actual money), pick two, and that's leaving aside saving for things like boots and trainers, let alone lifestyle stuff. What should I be focusing on early?

Everything equally except for free kicks, ignore those altogether. Maxing vision and team happiness first doesn't hurt, both of those will give your star more opportunities to do stuff. Maxing all relationships except girlfriend and sponsors will make you team captain, again, more opportunities there. In the end though, it doesn't matter one bit because NSS is mathematically designed to fail your career if you don't spend any money on it (stat degradation takes over fast). I guess you could stunt your experience like that other poster earlier that only plays 6 or 7 seasons before retiring.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just got an iPhone. Any recommendations for someone who loved the crap out of Game Dev Story?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Fiz is supposed to be fairly similar, but I haven't played it, so YMMV.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

The rear end Stooge posted:

On the topic of CYOA, when I was playing the Kim Kardashian game it showed me an ad for a visual novel game called "Our Two Bedroom Story" and it looks loving amazing. If it didn't cost $27 to buy all the chapters I would totally be playing it right now.

The same developers have a whole lineup of visual novel games called things like "My Forged Wedding," "Kiss of Revenge," "Pirates in Love," and "Kissed by the Baddest Bidder."

Good god. Someone here must play this and report back.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Original_Z posted:

Good god. Someone here must play this and report back.

Or make a lp :allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

The Visual Novel/Adventure Game Corpse Party comes out tonight. As far as visual novels go I heard this one was quite well received. I think this one has more interactive gaming elements though, like the Zero Escape series.

I'd love to see more Visual Novels on the iPhone. It's really the perfect platform for it. There's a bunch that already have Japanese iPhone versions (like Steins;Gate), as well as having the English translation for some other version. So I don't see why it should be too difficult to convert the Japanese iPhone version to English if the translation is already done.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Holy crap am I reading this right? The 3DS Phoenix Wright game is out on iPhone?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I really like the direction iOS gaming is taking :allears:

The iOS games megathread: butter up my pooper

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Holy crap am I reading this right? The 3DS Phoenix Wright game is out on iPhone?

It just showed up on the App store and I'm downloading it now, so yes!

e: It's great that they ported it over to iOS so quickly after the 3DS release. I'm hoping other 3DS titles eventually get ported as well. Probably not Pokemon since Nintendo would never allow it, but having something like Fire Emblem Awakening would be sweet.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 14, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

I really like the direction iOS gaming is taking :allears:

The iOS games megathread: butter up my pooper with it real good

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Yea, it looks fantastic as well. This may be the definitive version.

And $15 cheaper than the 3DS to boot.

First episode is free.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of Steins;Gate, you can get the Japanese iphone version right now for $9.99. And then follow these instructions to patch it up to english

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=239391&page=2

quote:

It's very easy, really. Get a file manager software for idevices such as iexplorer, iphone explorer or ifunbox (i use the latter).

Then, get the english translation patch from here (second link is better, disregard the instructions about having a jailbroken idevice):
http://tsuuun.blogspot.gr
http://i-vntp.blogspot.de/p/since-2009-steins-gate-series-has-sold.html

Finally, take the files from the rar file and drop them within the app, using the file manager

Put them inside the "/var/mobile/media/Applications/XXXXXXXXX/SteinsGate_HD" folder.

Though I think the english port is coming soon

Here's where you can buy the japanese version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steins-gate/id454136236?mt=8

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 14, 2014

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Star Realms is out!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

IncendiaC posted:

It just showed up on the App store and I'm downloading it now, so yes!

e: It's great that they ported it over to iOS so quickly after the 3DS release. I'm hoping other 3DS titles eventually get ported as well. Probably not Pokemon since Nintendo would never allow it, but having something like Fire Emblem Awakening would be sweet.

Fire Emblem is also a Nintendo property, so don't get your hopes up.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I've got an Android phone, and I'm considering grabbing an iPod Touch to round out my games access. Will a 16gb do, or should I shell out for a 32 or even 64? Is there much I'd be missing for not going for an iPad?

demota fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 14, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Quickpull posted:

Choice of games also puts a lot of great design articles on their blog like this one. If you're interested in developing cyoa games it's a good resource.

Thanks - I dislike the "choice of" game design, though - it's a bit like KOTOR where basically the same scenes occur differently depending on your choices, but all the scenes are themselves the same. I find this doesn't have much replay value. What I liked most about 999 was that despite the few number of choices in the story, each run through the game presented a different set of events, and each contribute to the overall ending in a very interesting way.

I'm more interested in a sort of interactive novel where there are events taking place on a schedule and your choices of where to go, who to talk to, and what to do, determine which of (say) 8 major story branches, each having 4 or so possible endings. The different branches depict the same events from different perspectives and levels of participation. I was thinking that from a programming perspective it would probably be easiest to ape Ryan North's ebook To Be Or Not To Be (which is AMAZING, a much better CYOA than any of the apps we are talking about) and have lots of branches, but no stats.

I have the perfect premise for it, too. One that I'm surprised no one has used before. I think I might write out the "best" storyline as a novella and see what I can do about turning it into a CYOA if people bite.

The Choice Of apps seem to follow a structure that doesn't really branch out all that much..

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I think the Choice Of games are pretty much all garbage. The Gamebook Adventures series is way better, in terms of usability as well as story. It's not really what you're describing re: events on a schedule and stuff, but they're good at what they do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bad day posted:

I'm more interested in a sort of interactive novel where there are events taking place on a schedule and your choices of where to go, who to talk to, and what to do, determine which of (say) 8 major story branches, each having 4 or so possible endings. The different branches depict the same events from different perspectives and levels of participation. I was thinking that from a programming perspective it would probably be easiest to ape Ryan North's ebook To Be Or Not To Be (which is AMAZING, a much better CYOA than any of the apps we are talking about) and have lots of branches, but no stats.

Sounds pretty much like The Last Express.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

In the end though, it doesn't matter one bit because NSS is mathematically designed to fail your career if you don't spend any money on it (stat degradation takes over fast). I guess you could stunt your experience like that other poster earlier that only plays 6 or 7 seasons before retiring.
Sorry to hear that happens if you don't spend money on it. I buy the IAP agent, trainer and boots. By the time I've played 6-7 seasons I've generally got maxed skills, won the league a few times, CL a couple times and done at least decently in an international championship. At that point starting over is more fun than to keep going, I've never done it specifically to avoid skill decay (which I didn't know existed).

~6 seasons will run you about $10 if you buy agent, trainer and boots, and that is a LOT of hours of gameplay. Of those, I'd say the trainer ($2 per 150 games) is by far the most important, giving you +30% energy after every game, which translates to approx one extra training/social session per week.

I'll have to try a no-IAP run one day to see if I can hack it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

demota posted:

I've got an Android phone, and I'm considering grabbing an iPod Touch to round out my games access. Will a 16gb do, or should I shell out for a 32 or even 64? Is there much I'd be missing for not going for an iPad?

If you're willing to stretch your budget a little farther, you'll get much more out of an iPad Mini than an iPod Touch. There's a number of good iPad-only games and a considerable number of games that play better on an iPad than they do on a smaller screen.

If you're only getting it for games there's no reason not to just get the 16 GB, you'll just have to uninstall bigger stuff periodically to make room. You can always redownload from iTunes or the App Store.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

demota posted:

Unfortunately the iPod Touch 5th gen is secretly an old device. If I am not mistaken, its specs are on the same level of the original mini/iPad2. So 512mb ram A5 chip-set. If you're OK with that older level of performance, you might as well get a cheapo older device. The best buy in terms of how long the device will last you and performance ATM is the mini2. If you're wanting to buy Apple for gaming, I would say also consider that older devices get dropped from support, and iPods are always the first hit since they've never had high performance.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

UncleSmoothie posted:

If you're willing to stretch your budget a little farther, you'll get much more out of an iPad Mini than an iPod Touch. There's a number of good iPad-only games and a considerable number of games that play better on an iPad than they do on a smaller screen.

If you're only getting it for games there's no reason not to just get the 16 GB, you'll just have to uninstall bigger stuff periodically to make room. You can always redownload from iTunes or the App Store.

Huh. I hadn't considered that. I'll have to look into that.

Mr. Owl posted:

Unfortunately the iPod Touch 5th gen is secretly an old device. If I am not mistaken, its specs are on the same level of the original mini/iPad2. So 512mb ram A5 chip-set. If you're OK with that older level of performance, you might as well get a cheapo older device. The best buy in terms of how long the device will last you and performance ATM is the mini2. If you're wanting to buy Apple for gaming, I would say also consider that older devices get dropped from support, and iPods are always the first hit since they've never had high performance.

Does the iPad Mini get around these issues? Or should I just start looking at the iPad proper?

Edit: Upon further research, it looks like all iPod Touch models were released in early-mid September. I think I can wait a month and see if a new one actually comes out.

demota fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 14, 2014

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

bad day posted:

Thanks - I dislike the "choice of" game design, though - it's a bit like KOTOR where basically the same scenes occur differently depending on your choices, but all the scenes are themselves the same. I find this doesn't have much replay value. What I liked most about 999 was that despite the few number of choices in the story, each run through the game presented a different set of events, and each contribute to the overall ending in a very interesting way.

I have the perfect premise for it, too. One that I'm surprised no one has used before. I think I might write out the "best" storyline as a novella and see what I can do about turning it into a CYOA if people bite.

The Choice Of apps seem to follow a structure that doesn't really branch out all that much..

Fair enough. choice of games definitely follows more of a story first approach. They don't really give much feedback to the player as to how their choices affect the story, though according to them it is quite a lot. However, I still think they offer up some good lessons on creating meaningful choices in games as opposed to Right Choice vs The Other Choices or else The Good Choice vs The Evil Choice. I really like the idea of a CYOA game that takes place in a scheduled sandbox environment. Good luck :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Lmaoooo its $28

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey Demota I hope you have a real non-gaming need for an idevice because buying one for games seems like a worse financial decision than a launch-day console purchase.

If you're rich that's cool too. When I'm rich I'm going to line one of the walls of my house in tablets and hook them all up together to play the physically biggest cyoa game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Hey Demota I hope you have a real non-gaming need for an idevice because buying one for games seems like a worse financial decision than a launch-day console purchase.

If you're rich that's cool too. When I'm rich I'm going to line one of the walls of my house in tablets and hook them all up together to play the physically biggest cyoa game ever.

Sort of. I want it for games, but it's for career purposes. I work in the gaming industry and I need to be able to examine a wide variety of freemium apps for retention and monetization systems. Android's carried me pretty well so far, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I didn't have that iOS blind spot. There are a lot of games I don't have access to, and feature discrepancies between iOS and Android versions of apps have led to some awkward moments at networking events.

• Locked thread