Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Supposedly some vendors are underclocking/undervolting the 1050 to 40W, which will make it attractive in the "I want amazingly long battery life" segment - I'd expect it to make an appearance in a lot of quad-Kaby 4K Ultrabooks which will only ever be used for playing 4K HDR content in First/Business Class. The 2GB 1050s are evidently being targeted at the shockingly-still-existent sector of laptops with 1600x900 screens. The 2GB 1050Ti will be the base model GPU on the new Alienware 13, proving that despite their strides, Dell can still bring a little bit of horrible into this world.

The 3GB 1060s seem to be being phased out very slowly, what with the $899 ASUS laptop on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and the fact that you can snag an MSI with a 3GB 1060 on Best Buy's website/eBay store at the moment for $1099. The reason the 3GB 1060 isn't preferable is that it limits your gaming options over the next few years, as new A-list titles are getting greedier with desire for frame buffer, and 3GB just won't 'weather' as well as 6GB will. Normally it's an extra $100 on top of a similarly-equipped 3GB laptop, and typically that extra $100 buys you the presence of an SSD/HDD config or an extra 128GB or so on the SSD on the 3GB SKU.

I mean I was surprised that the RX 480 was offered with 4 or 8 GB of VRAM, while the 1060 has "only" 3 or 6 GB, particularly considering the latter is more powerful and would be in a better position to utilize that VRAM. I could see: the 1050 with 2 GB, the 1050 Ti with 4 GB, and the 1060 with 6 GB. Why the hell would I want a 1050 with 4 GB and the more powerful cards with less VRAM? Or more specifically, the point that I can't wrap my head around is why anyone would release those configurations in the first place? Why put the effort into manufacturing them when they don't make sense?

If I didn't know anything about PC hardware I wouldn't spend more money than I thought I had to on a video card, and since I do know about hardware I'm not going to buy the inferior configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

I mean I was surprised that the RX 480 was offered with 4 or 8 GB of VRAM, while the 1060 has "only" 3 or 6 GB, particularly considering the latter is more powerful

It is?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

They are really fairly equal.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, all the recent benchmarks put them within 2% of each other in most games so I was wondering if he knows something I don't :v:

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Did anybody announce a new 13-14" gaming laptop at CES? Seems like there's slim pickings for this category.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
13" gaming laptop will happen when they can jam enough cooling into a slim enough case. My chomebook gets very hot playing games and it's just a i7-5500U (15W TDP according to intel page). Add another 15W on top for a (relatively lovely) gpu and I hope you really enjoy your groin burner.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not to mention the framerates are going to be poo poo because throttling.

New XPS 15 has up to 97wHR battery!!! gently caress YES EAT poo poo MACBOOK HAVERS

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Burnt dicks are a small price to pay for portability though.
Do they all force throttling now?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Grouchio posted:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-15-7000-2017/preview/

Dell Managed to make a sturdier Dell Inspiron with GTX 1050 capabilities for only $800! :woop:

(Hopefully with decent RAM and Hard Drive specs)

So this thing is on dell's site now. Anyone know how hot these(the older version obviously) get when not gaming with them? Will I suffer burnt dick if I work with it in my lap?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Dum Cumpster posted:

So this thing is on dell's site now. Anyone know how hot these(the older version obviously) get when not gaming with them? Will I suffer burnt dick if I work with it in my lap?

Is it possible to buy, for example, an inspiron with 256gb SSD and add a 1tb hard drive yourself?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dum Cumpster posted:

Mine got warm, but not really hot, under middle to heavy workloads. (Quad core i7 version)

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Ika posted:

Mine got warm, but not really hot, under middle to heavy workloads. (Quad core i7 version)

Appreciate it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm trying to help my mom shop for a new laptop. Based on what she asked for and reading the OP, the Yoga 2 pro seems like a good fit. But it's now 3 years old and discontinued?

So, two questions:
1. Does the thread have a new generally recommended equivalent to the Yoga 2 pro? It's not straightforward to look at the Lenovo website and know which ones are good and which aren't.

2. There are some Yoga 2 Pros available "used like new" in the $600 range. Good idea or is it too out of date?

Also FYI she asked for under $500 but I'm going to try to convince her of the point in the OP that $650 is the new $500. I'm open to other non Yoga suggestions, but she wants Windows, mostly does office and internet stuff, and wants "lots of storage space for photos." She ideally wants a tablet-convertible if possible but would settle for a regular laptop if it got her a better laptop at the same price. Hence my gravitating towards the Yoga.

e: is the Yoga 710 considered well built?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 6, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason not to buy T-series Thinkpads anymore? I see a lot of Dell talk here but I know that the Thinkpads are really uninspiring for gaming so probably they are not hot discussion topics.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My older interim laptop got its wifi adapter disabled after major updates to windows 8 and is hidden with code 45 error. Do I have to buy a new wifi driver?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

shovelbum posted:

Is there a reason not to buy T-series Thinkpads anymore? I see a lot of Dell talk here but I know that the Thinkpads are really uninspiring for gaming so probably they are not hot discussion topics.

They're good for non-gamers who need a well-built machine to get poo poo done.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Grouchio posted:

My older interim laptop got its wifi adapter disabled after major updates to windows 8 and is hidden with code 45 error. Do I have to buy a new wifi driver?

I had this issue (windows10) with my 2011 Sager with a realtek card. After tons of trouble shooting and trying lots of things I bought a 10 dollar USB adapter.

You can try checking power settings under both the adapter and power management area, you can try finding an updated driver on the manufacturers website, you can also try installing legacy hardware if that's in Windows 8.

I decided for my interim laptop that it wasn't worth fighting with. It would work for 30-120 minutes or so and just get disabled by some system setting I couldn't find.

Disclaimer: not an IT guy

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Let's just make one thing clear: any paid access to drivers is a scam. Stick with the manufacturer of the component or the manufacturer of the laptop's offerings.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What a nice looking desktop!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

could you boogie board on that thing?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Add a headset and punch deck

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't decide if that thing is best suited for hacking the Gibson, or if it IS the Gibson.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm in the market for a laptop for my work. I basically need it to review documents (streamed via chromecast to a tv) and video (the latter pushed out to a monitor via hdmi or vga, using lovely proprietary software sometimes). That's it. I'm trying not to blow my brains out on something that is going to be unnecessary, what is a good idea for this sort of use? Unfortunately has to be windows, so a chromebook is right out(?)

Am I looking at "Asus X205 from Microsoft Store for $200 or HP Stream 11"?

Save me, goon hivemind!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop for my work. I basically need it to review documents (streamed via chromecast to a tv) and video (the latter pushed out to a monitor via hdmi or vga, using lovely proprietary software sometimes). That's it. I'm trying not to blow my brains out on something that is going to be unnecessary, what is a good idea for this sort of use? Unfortunately has to be windows, so a chromebook is right out(?)

Am I looking at "Asus X205 from Microsoft Store for $200 or HP Stream 11"?

Save me, goon hivemind!

https://www.techbargains.com/dell-financial-services-weekend-sale ???

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I take it that anything there should be good to go? Thanks!

Edit: dang, those coupons do not work on the Canadian site. :canada:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 7, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, something cheap like the suggested E6330 would be just fine.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I'm thinking on buying the new Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop.. should I expect to find any Dell coupons that work on something that new? Also, any thoughts on the value of the different versions of that laptop? Thanks.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?view=configurations

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is that already on Amazon?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

MrBuddyLee posted:

I'm thinking on buying the new Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop.. should I expect to find any Dell coupons that work on something that new? Also, any thoughts on the value of the different versions of that laptop? Thanks.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?view=configurations

I was able to get the weekend $100 off coupon that shows up on the top of their site to apply to the one I bought today, but it didn't work at checkout. I had to go through chat support and they applied it for me.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah...that fits.

"HOOK ON!"

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Huh. Alienware 15 R3 has an RX 470 option now. No mention of FreeSync, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Chromebook question: It's my understanding that you can run Android apps on these things now. How can I tell which models can do that? Or can you not? I want a Chromebook for my hobby room just for like running IRC, doing web poo poo, and I would like to be able to print to a Brother P-Touch wireless label printer from it. There is an android label editor, but not a chrome app. Can I still use the android app somehow?

edit: Or hell, should I just get a tablet and a keyboard I guess?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 8, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait for the new Samsung Chromebooks just announced. They come with a stylus too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait for the new Samsung Chromebooks just announced. They come with a stylus too.

Samsung Chromebook Plus? drat, thanks for the tip, this thing looks amazing

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
So, after CES, what is looking to be the best options for a gaming laptop in the $1-1.4k range?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

signalnoise posted:

Samsung Chromebook Plus? drat, thanks for the tip, this thing looks amazing

Plus is an ARM CPU. Pro is an intel m3.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

EVGA are doing an SC15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY2_wWyrbk0

15 inches
7700HQ
GTX 1060
120HZ 1080p G-Sync
M.2 SSD
*NO THUNDERBOLT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Chromebook question: It's my understanding that you can run Android apps on these things now. How can I tell which models can do that? Or can you not? I want a Chromebook for my hobby room just for like running IRC, doing web poo poo, and I would like to be able to print to a Brother P-Touch wireless label printer from it. There is an android label editor, but not a chrome app. Can I still use the android app somehow?

edit: Or hell, should I just get a tablet and a keyboard I guess?

Right now, there are three CBs with official Google Play Store support on their Stable OS channels: the 2015 Google Pixel, the Asus CB Flip, and the Acer CB R11. Other devices (e.g. the Acer R13) have support in Beta/Dev and other upcoming devices (e.g. the Samsung Plus/Pro, Asus Flip C302) seem to have support on Stable as well.