Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a lot of mods, but almost all new content is terribly written, incredibly unbalanced or both.

I still don't understand the point of putting the separate games into the same world space either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vichan posted:

Looking forward to start another playthrough, how's the modding scene these days? has the EE revitalized it? Is there a suitable replacement for the Big World Setup yet?

In order:
still mostly bad but definitely still alive,
it drew in some new people and most of the popular mods have been updated for EE, but it's not like it was circa 2002 by a long shot,
no, but that also assumes it was suitable to begin with

If you haven't played the EEs yet, the vanilla experience is honestly pretty good. They baked in pretty much all of the QoL and bugfix mods.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm still working on Planescape: Torment and loving loving it. I'm trying to do it without referring to a strategy guide at all, because there's so much to discover in there, but I finally had to today. Despite talking to everybody constantly, I missed a single dialog option with Juliette in the brothel that was essential to getting to the next part (despite the fact that I'd done the dialog option that looks like the correct one).... :orks:

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

Vichan posted:

Looking forward to start another playthrough, how's the modding scene these days? has the EE revitalized it? Is there a suitable replacement for the Big World Setup yet?

There's two options: Project Infinity which is in testing and only installs things in sequence, requiring you to set the proper order and download most of the stuff yourself, and EE Mod Install Tool, which IIRC is a fork of the old tool but is maintained and made by an actual crazy person. EE Install Tool is way easier to use, but it stealthily installs and recommends the author's pet mods, and things she's taken for herself and made undocumented changes to, and which seem inherently more buggy than the options I chose to install myself.

I couldn't wrap my head around Project Infinity, but Install Tool works fine if you can deal with the nonsense and you make sure to not install anything titled Sandrah Saga.

As far as new mods, the EEs have actually resulted in some neat things, like a UI that isn't hardcoded and can be customized, the ability to make multi-class kits for mods, and one mod that lets you dual into a kit, but I never got it working.

Oh and the guy who's trying to shove all of the EE stuff into a single campaign is working on some batshit thing that lets you use IWD2/D&D 3.5 rules for your charname, if you're a crazy person who's into that.

The few content mods I've messed around with have been fine, too, it's not like Baldur's Gate's writing was ever spectacular. The biggest immersion breaker is occasionally seeing Diablo assets sprinked into a new area as decoration. But I'm also purposely avoiding poo poo like Saerileth or whatever she's called, so YMMV

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love that there are people playing Planescape: Torment for the first time right now. I was pretty late as well, must have been in 2008 or so. Unlike Baldur's Gate II it was easy to miss unless you were into CRPGs.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phlegmish posted:

I love that there are people playing Planescape: Torment for the first time right now. I was pretty late as well, must have been in 2008 or so. Unlike Baldur's Gate II it was easy to miss unless you were into CRPGs.

I probably bought it 10 years ago on GOG and am just now getting to it (I do not play many vidja games, but Baldur's Gate on the phone sucked me in).

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Is it weird that I think the fighter class looks more appropriate for the Nameless One than mage? Mage seems to be the best option because it works well with a high int as well as a high wis but seeing his muscles and that there are more special tattoos for fighters makes me feel conflicted. Obviously any build would have 18 wis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Is it weird that I think the fighter class looks more appropriate for the Nameless One than mage? Mage seems to be the best option because it works well with a high int as well as a high wis but seeing his muscles and that there are more special tattoos for fighters makes me feel conflicted. Obviously any build would have 18 wis.

I beat the game as a high wis fighter ,it's awesome, early on you're beating people to death with your own severed arm later you kill them with an axe or club, can't remember which, called reason, because everyone listens to reason

Weapon spoilers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I planned to make him a mage, but ended up sticking with fighter. He just seems stabby.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Any way to get rid of the mortuary sanctum key? I opened all the mortuary doors with it and it won’t disappear out of my inventory like other keys.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When I was a kid, I could never get past the Vale of Shadows in Icewind Dale.
I grew frustrated that my characters kept dying, and I stopped playing for years.
Then the other day I saw the enhanced edition on sale on Steam, so I bought it.
I am officially further along in the storyline then I ever was back then, and I'm having a great time!
My party is thus, all either soon to reach or at Level 6:

-Kargoth, Human Berserker
-Orok, Half-Orc Wizard Slayer
-Yuntelle, Human Cavalier
-Shayleigh, Elf Archer
-Pimi, Halfling Thief
-Lianora, Half-Elf Dragon Disciple

Every single one of them has been amazingly beneficial, but my favourite is Lianora.
She's a bit of a glass cannon, but what a cannon she is.
She deals 4d6 acid damage, 3d8 fire damage, she has immunity to magic missiles when using a certain wand, etc.
Long story short, I am immensely happy I tried playing Icewind Dale again.

EDIT:

^^^^ Great name ^^^^

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 10, 2019

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The Mighty Moltres posted:

When I was a kid, I could never get past the Vale of Shadows in Icewind Dale.
I grew frustrated that my characters kept dying, and I stopped playing for years.
Then the other day I saw the enhanced edition on sale on Steam, so I bought it.
I am officially further along in the storyline then I ever was back then, and I'm having a great time!
My party is thus, all either soon to reach or at Level 6:

-Kargoth, Human Berserker
-Orok, Half-Orc Wizard Slayer
-Yuntelle, Human Cavalier
-Shayleigh, Elf Archer
-Pimi, Halfling Thief
-Lianora, Half-Elf Dragon Disciple

Every single one of them has been amazingly beneficial, but my favourite is Lianora.
She's a bit of a glass cannon, but what a cannon she is.
She deals 4d6 acid damage, 3d8 fire damage, she has immunity to magic missiles when using a certain wand, etc.
Long story short, I am immensely happy I tried playing Icewind Dale again.

EDIT:

^^^^ Great name ^^^^

No bard? How dare you. Bard songs are actually good in IWD. What do you do for healing? Druids & Shapeshifting are also remarkably better in IWD than in BG.

Edit: I always died when it first came out as well. Max HP on level up takes care of that. Although now that's too easy for me so I play on higher difficulty with no XP or damage bonuses and regular hit point rolls.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 10, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Fired up Planescape Torment again after a decade and man this is pissing me off. When party members die, most of their equipped items fall to the ground for some reason? I had Fall from Grace die and her earrings fell off while her chestpiece stayed on (is that supposed to happen?), and since I couldn't raise her without resting in the Modron Maze, I didn't have enough room to pick up all her poo poo, so I go back to the maze entrance and rest, it autosaves and deletes her items off the floor. gently caress is with this poo poo?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Fired up Planescape Torment again after a decade and man this is pissing me off. When party members die, most of their equipped items fall to the ground for some reason? I had Fall from Grace die and her earrings fell off while her chestpiece stayed on (is that supposed to happen?), and since I couldn't raise her without resting in the Modron Maze, I didn't have enough room to pick up all her poo poo, so I go back to the maze entrance and rest, it autosaves and deletes her items off the floor. gently caress is with this poo poo?

Items that are character specific cannot be unequipped in any infinity engine game. Otherwise, yeah, their gear drops to the floor when they did. Try it with Edwin in BG, or try removing Boo from Minsc or Imoen's belt.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I'm planning on taking an archer thru BG1, SoD, 2 and ToB. Is there anything an archer can do in the final battle of SoD? I don't think there's any +3 arrows in the game?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The magical shortbows that make their own ammo shoot +3 or +4 (the one you can buy in Trademeet is +3, the one you have to craft is +4).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

cheesetriangles posted:

So I'm planning on taking an archer thru BG1, SoD, 2 and ToB. Is there anything an archer can do in the final battle of SoD? I don't think there's any +3 arrows in the game?

There are: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Void-tipped_Arrow

I saw one guy soloing the final battle with an archer using those.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So how does BG play on the consoles? Can anyone who played PoE compare?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Pretty sure there a some generic +3 arrows in SoD, otherwise Corwin would be pretty useless in the final battle and I remember her landing the killing blow when I played through.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Use crossbows. The crossbow of speed in BG1 and SoD destroys everything, then the +4 crossbow in BG2 wrecks house. I just did a crossbow archer, and he had 56% of the kills in my party.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pratan posted:

Use crossbows. The crossbow of speed in BG1 and SoD destroys everything, then the +4 crossbow in BG2 wrecks house. I just did a crossbow archer, and he had 56% of the kills in my party.

Hmm so what you're saying is that crossbows are why your archer only got 56% of the kills, instead of like 80% ? :imunfunny:

Seriously do what you want, crossbows are underutilized because bows for whatever dumb loving reason get a base of 2 attacks per round, but if anyone could make crossbows comparable to bows it'd be an archer.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
There's tons of free magical ammo for crossbows too. Bolts of biting, bolts of lightning, paralytic bolts...

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i remember the kua-toa bolts as being pretty good

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Looking into playing planescape torment but it seems the remastered GOG version has bad reviews. Anyone have a guide to getting the ideal playable version of this game without a lot of convoluted crap?

Got an earlier version of the GOG release without the "Bad" mods and tried to install the widescreen mod for my 1440p monitor, and got a bunch of errors.

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 1, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Enhanced Edition is the way to go, if that's got bad reviews it's just from whiny grognards that don't like nice things

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Nothing wrong with the EE version, got it on Steam and it's great. I've played through both and wouldn't go back to the original ever.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im going to make a planescape ee mod that adds neera and hexxat to the game, both romance-able, to upset the grognards.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Might just get the planescape torment enhanced edition. I've seen mods that talk about "restored" content, though the sites look like they were made in 1995. Is that a load of bullshit, or is it worth looking into?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rookoo posted:

Might just get the planescape torment enhanced edition. I've seen mods that talk about "restored" content, though the sites look like they were made in 1995. Is that a load of bullshit, or is it worth looking into?

They weren't bad from what I could remember, but they also are small in size and several basically just add cheat items.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I remember using the restored content mods way back when but I really can't remember what they added, iirc it was just a couple of fetch quests here and there? Nothing super consequential.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I looked into getting the EE, since I'd bought the original a jillion years ago and never played it.

My understanding is that the P:T EE has no added content, just a bunch a fixed typos and the QOL stuff.

I didn't spring for it, and the not zooming and the having to pick up each individual treasure is very mildly annoying.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Empty Sandwich posted:

I looked into getting the EE, since I'd bought the original a jillion years ago and never played it.

My understanding is that the P:T EE has no added content, just a bunch a fixed typos and the QOL stuff.

I didn't spring for it, and the not zooming and the having to pick up each individual treasure is very mildly annoying.

The EE is worth it for the new journal alone.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did the EE change it so you can't travel directly to Durlags Tower anytime you want? Do you have to do the quest now?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Did the EE change it so you can't travel directly to Durlags Tower anytime you want? Do you have to do the quest now?

No, you can still go there whenever you want.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Weird I tried going there from places Dudleyville said connected to it but it didn't give me the option.

Yeah I just checked all the maps around it and I can't travel there.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 1, 2019

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Weird I tried going there from places Dudleyville said connected to it but it didn't give me the option.

Yeah I just checked all the maps around it and I can't travel there.

They moved Durlag's Tower in the EE for some reason. I think it's a bit further north.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Why did they change the robbers in the Bridge district to spawn spread throughout the district instead of right next to you? They kill Aegisfield now because one spawns right next to him. Some of the changes they make to these games I just don't get and don't like at all.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Why did they change the robbers in the Bridge district to spawn spread throughout the district instead of right next to you? They kill Aegisfield now because one spawns right next to him. Some of the changes they make to these games I just don't get and don't like at all.

They are the same as always for me, it sounds like you've got something else going on here

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm playing vanilla with no mods so I'm not sure why they would be moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
No matter what you do the game is old and sometimes jankey and you have to use the console commands to fix dumb bugs, just look up the stuff and respawn him or use the cheat resurrect command.