Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fire Emblem's always been an insanely mixed bag. I played FE7 a lot though cause it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It's not that you're insensitive. you're just coming across as talking about a thing we all agree is dumb in a way that makes you look like you're deflecting criticism of it. Which I know you're not but the weird pettiness to the argument made it seem... like a "I'm Just saying" kinda deal.

Baal posted:

Fire Emblem's always been an insanely mixed bag. I played FE7 a lot though cause it's a lot of fun.

The only FE game I played and actually enjoyed moving the tiny people around in was Awakening. The previous ones that I played all had kind of hilariously awful level/encounter design and awful writing (Those would be the Gamecube ones, the GBA ones and Shadow Dragon). Maybe Nintendo should have just let it die.

They could have used that money to give Metroid another chance.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 23, 2016

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'd like to vote that we end this discussion because jesus christ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FE is probably the most consistent above-average franchise in gaming, especially for a series that has like 15 games in. There's no outright bad games in context of when they came out.

Definitely not something like Final fantasy where you have 13 or After Years on the official number system.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not that you're insensitive. you're just coming across as talking about a thing we all agree is dumb in a way that makes you look like you're deflecting criticism of it. Which I know you're not but the weird pettiness to the argument made it seem... like a "I'm Just saying" kinda deal.

That's fair and I do apologize for how that came off.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the songstress costumes in SMTxFE look insanely bad, but I still might buy that game because unlike Fates I still don't know what that thing is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

FE is probably the most consistent above-average franchise in gaming, especially for a series that has like 15 games in. There's no outright bad games in context of when they came out.

I'm not going to have the Genealogy or Awakening fight but 2, Shadow Dragon, and Thracia were all pretty bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I think the songstress costumes in SMTxFE look insanely bad, but I still might buy that game because unlike Fates I still don't know what that thing is.

It's a Persona game set in an Idol atmosphere and job environment? The game's out.

Rodyle posted:

I'm not going to have the Genealogy or Awakening fight but 2, Shadow Dragon, and Thracia were all pretty bad.

Every game but Shadow Dragon were excellent in the years they came out, Shadow Dragon is bad for a FE game but still better than most as a strategy rpg.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Liam owns.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Also both GBA games were awful outside some of the sprite work.

And the Wii one (or maybe it was also on GC. whatever the sequel to that GC one was) was really not great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually liked Path of Radiance a lot and played it pretty recently and that's probably one of my favorite FEs. It's slow as hell though and could do with a less annoying support gimmick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

And the Wii one (or maybe it was also on GC. whatever the sequel to that GC one was) was really not great.

Maybe you just don't like the strategy style of FE? Especially since you said you liked playing Awakening, which is different than most FE's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All 3 GBA games are good and Radiant Dawn, while not as good as Path of Radiance, was still fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't like FE6, Sacred Stones is alright tho.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What I hated about 6 was having to bumrush a bunch of stages in order to actually beat the game properly.

Also Roy sucks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Roy's our boy!

...they should have brought Wolf back instead. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Maybe you just don't like the strategy style of FE? Especially since you said you liked playing Awakening, which is different than most FE's.

Nah I like it fine when they design stages that actually work with what they're going for but poo poo like

Rodyle posted:

having to bumrush a bunch of stages in order to actually beat the game properly.

happens a lot in the ones I've played.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also in the war of sick FE boss sprites, Zephiel wins every time.

FE6 is the only one that does this though? Unless you're talking about getting the Ultra Secret Ending in FE7.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 23, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nah I like it fine when they design stages that actually work with what they're going for but poo poo like

I love Awakening, probably my most played game by a mile in the series.

The map design is one of the worst in strategy rpgs history. I think you just wanted to play regular rpging.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rodyle posted:

Also in the war of sick FE boss sprites, Zephiel wins every time.

Fomortiis too even if he was a generic JRPG demon endboss, he was a loving cool looking one.

Like how he charged up DBZ style then just punched you with a huge roided out fist.

Fake Edit: It took me way too long to find this thread, I'm actually surprised that goons like TBFP.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I discount Fomortiis for exactly that reason tbh, he's so lame. Leon is a bit better in Erika Route where there's something left of him, but in Emphraim it's just Fomortiis' soul, so he comes off as a way less impressive evil wizard than Nergal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
TBFP is cool, especially the parts where I get to poo poo on Liam and Woolie

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I distinctly remember thinking FE7's secret ending was some Wheat Sword/Pikablu poo poo when I first read about it, come to think of it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rodyle posted:

I discount Fomortiis for exactly that reason tbh, he's so lame. Leon is a bit better in Erika Route where there's something left of him, but in Emphraim it's just Fomortiis' soul, so he comes off as a way less impressive evil wizard than Nergal.

Yeah but then you have to play Eirika's route and who does that more than once?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I distinctly remember thinking FE7's secret ending was some Wheat Sword/Pikablu poo poo when I first read about it, come to think of it.

You mean FE6? That's the only game iirc that actually has a "secret" ending.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah but then you have to play Eirika's route and who does that more than once?

Well

Yeah

Tae posted:

You're actually totally wrong!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

You're actually totally wrong!

I guess FE12 has one as well, but that never came out to the states. Unless you're thinking of something else?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

FF7 did have a secret ending, it was in the epilogue and linked FF7 to FF6. It had Hector with a beard.

gently caress if I remember how to trigger it though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
From a few pages back

Rhonne posted:

Richard Hawk just sounds drunk as gently caress in that spider mission. :allears:

How did they let the guy into the recorrding booth

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

FF7 did have a secret ending, it was in the epilogue and linked FF7 to FF6. It had Hector with a beard.

gently caress if I remember how to trigger it though.

That isn't the secret ending, that's the usual epilogue. The secret ending requires, among other things, getting all 3 Kishuna missions in Hector Route, plus 19xx.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How could you not?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

I mean it's like Austin said on the Beastcast, there's a core in there that is just Wheee, Wacky Anime Genderbend Hijinks but that is TOTALLY lost in execution.
That's where I heard about it, them discussing it on the beastcast. If there's something more innocent to it, whatever, the base of it just sounds real messed up and, like was said, they completely hosed up the execution. Particularly the drugging bit and also the bit after you get together with them, assuming there's indeed no actual gay connotation anywhere

Baal posted:

I apologize if I'm coming off as insensitive, but I really don't care about this. I saw this stuff and thought "That's dumb" and that was the most reaction I had to it. I understand how and why it comes off as really bad to a lot of people, but I legit don't look at them and think some people aren't overreacting especially when they end up buying the game anyways. If you think that makes me a lovely person, that's fine, but I legit cannot muster up the ability to look at this as anything other than a dumb Japanese thing.
At the very least, raising a shitfit has resulted in actual change! Such as this being removed from the english release, and that DOA volleyball game being removed from english at all!

CJacobs posted:

Liam owns.
Liam has this distinct ability to make me like and hate him a lot, alternating

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

How could you not?

You have to power level Nils in Lin mode and be aware that a Gaiden of a Gaiden is even a thing, for one.

Nothing is as absurd as unlocking Lehran in FE10 though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

From a few pages back

How did they let the guy into the recorrding booth

He's amazing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

You have to power level Nils in Lin mode and be aware that a Gaiden of a Gaiden is even a thing, for one.

I would argue getting the true ending path (which adds like another 3 chapters and 2 bosses) of FE6 is way worse, because you have to speedrun a few missions to get every single divine weapon, never use them up, and have Roy kill the true boss.

Lehran is absurd, but ultimately just an extra NPC for one fight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ly bad

and I wouldn't want it any other way

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

I would argue getting the true ending path (which adds like another 3 chapters and 2 bosses) of FE6 is way worse, because you have to speedrun a few missions to get every single divine weapon, never use them up, and have Roy kill the true boss.

Lehran is absurd, but ultimately just an extra NPC for one fight.

Oh it's definitely worse from a design perspective because that poo poo is no fun and cuts you off from a lot of content (though it at least hints at it if you don't get it) but it's a bit less esoteric I'd argue.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Oh it's definitely worse from a design perspective because that poo poo is no fun and cuts you off from a lot of content (though it at least hints at it if you don't get it) but it's a bit less esoteric I'd argue.

The only "hard" part is having Ike fight the Black Knight and survive.

I can't remember, but that one mission where you have to beat an entire, huge castle map in FE6 without killing the one General to access a gaiden chapter where lightning rains on you which can one-shot most units is some bullshit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

That was meant to be a response to the gentleman complementing RICHARD HAWK's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

That was meant to be a response to the gentleman complementing RICHARD HAWK's voice

Oh well carry on them

Metal Wolf Chaos HD, believe the hype