Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I breathed a sigh of relief during a moment in FFXV that there were no useless QTEs to interrupt the awesome cinematic during the first major "boss fight" but was immediately hit with a "MASH CIRCLE TO BE HELPED UP FROM FALLING" QTE almost immediately afterward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Breetai posted:

The thing dragging every single Telltale game down is that there isn't one tenth of as much actual consequences from your choices as in Alpha Protocol.

Remove all of the janky combat and you're left with a storygame that's superior in every way. There are so many actual changes to the plot depending on actions/dialogue that it's baffling. I mean, Scarlet Lake is the other assassin who takes the shot when you're fighting Omen Deng?!?! WHAT.

I feel like with Tales from the Borderlands, they realized (for the most part) that they don't know how to make your choices matter, so most of your choices are just "How do you wanna kill these fuckers? I don't care, go hog wild"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

QTEs are the worst, they just feel like Simon Says at this point. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 is basically made of them and it's very boring after about 20 minutes.

Bayonetta has a worse sin - loading screens that go almost directly into a QTE. If you fail, it counts against score.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Breetai posted:

I mean, Scarlet Lake is the other assassin who takes the shot when you're fighting Omen Deng?!?! WHAT.

And there's only a few ways to find this out during the game - you can finish the entire thing without even discovering this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The most fun way to find it out is to get shot by her

then convince her Leland won't leave her flapping around as a loose end so she ices him

then have Heck blow her away, whereupon he reveals he knew the whole time and assumed Mike was letting it slide to get in her pants

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

spit on my clit posted:

I feel like with Tales from the Borderlands, they realized (for the most part) that they don't know how to make your choices matter, so most of your choices are just "How do you wanna kill these fuckers? I don't care, go hog wild"

Which is also funny because it does diverge more than most Telltale games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Breetai posted:

The thing dragging every single Telltale game down is that there isn't one tenth of as much actual consequences from your choices as in Alpha Protocol.

Remove all of the janky combat and you're left with a storygame that's superior in every way. There are so many actual changes to the plot depending on actions/dialogue that it's baffling. I mean, Scarlet Lake is the other assassin who takes the shot when you're fighting Omen Deng?!?! WHAT.

I am always sad that nothing I have played of it's type has been as fun as this game was.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also loving lol at the endgame note about having SIE 'rescue' you.

You steal and encrypt the footage of your 'rescue' and watch it like 147 times in the next few months, and every agency on the planet is gunning to decrypt it so as to see what crucial espionage information is included in it.

I'm kinda miffed that at the end of the day if you've been sufficiently aggressive and vengeful enough you can't just sail off with her instead and go full rogue agent/freelance merc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Breetai posted:

Also loving lol at the endgame note about having SIE 'rescue' you.

You steal and encrypt the footage of your 'rescue' and watch it like 147 times in the next few months, and every agency on the planet is gunning to decrypt it so as to see what crucial espionage information is included in it.

I'm kinda miffed that at the end of the day if you've been sufficiently aggressive and vengeful enough you can't just sail off with her instead and go full rogue agent/freelance merc.

See I always went G22. For the reason that Leyland has no idea they exist.. Seriously the entire game is so underrated.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

then convince her Leland won't leave her flapping around as a loose end so she ices him

then have Heck blow her away, whereupon he reveals he knew the whole time and assumed Mike was letting it slide to get in her pants

holy poo poo that's cool

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I tried playing Alpha Protocol two weeks ago. God drat that game is janky. Made it an hour and uninstalled.

It will forever be like SS13. I'll have fun reading stories about it, but don't have the time to put up with learning its quirks.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I tried playing Alpha Protocol two weeks ago. God drat that game is janky. Made it an hour and uninstalled.

It will forever be like SS13. I'll have fun reading stories about it, but don't have the time to put up with learning its quirks.

It works best with a controller, due to it having a very lovely PC port. Also Saudi Arabia is a terrible example of what the game actually is. If you can actually manage to get through that, the game truly shines. I'm usually with you on stuff like SS13 being more fun to read about, but Alpha Protocol is genuinely one of my favorite games to actually play. It's just so rewarding. My first playthrough was at the same time as a friend, and we were both shocked at how vastly different our ending scenarios ended up being, even though the levels are all the same. Your choices ACTUALLY matter in AP.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

2house2fly posted:

THE FFFUCK? Ok that's it, reinstalling AP right now!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Play it on easy, and use a guide so you dont miss out on intel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Play it on easy, and use a guide so you dont miss out on intel.

Heck, play through it on new recruit and then have one hell of an amount of fun playing veteran.

Deus Ex is one of those games I can't get into no matter how highly praised it is, but AP? I wish I had a few more games like that.

That and King of Dragon Pass.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Alpha Protocol was hard for me to get into until I realized how incredibly busted the pistol chain shot and the stealth power are.

Chain shot stops time and grants you perfect accuracy on all of your shots during it. Headshots are either instant kills or massive damage on bosses so you can straight up wipe out an entire room in less than a second or do half of a bosses' health bar and then cover until it recharges.

Shadow operative isn't a plus to your stealth skills, it's straight up invisibility. You can literally walk into enemies and they still won't notice you and at max level it lasts for like 20 seconds.

basically, the combat and the stealth are both janky yeah, but you can get buttons that are basically cheat codes that let you ignore both.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Josef bugman posted:

Heck, play through it on new recruit and then have one hell of an amount of fun playing veteran.

nah, just pick the playstyle you want (stealthy, shooter) for your first run. rookie/veteran should be second playthrough.

however, always put at least one point in sabotage so you can emp through hacking/bypassing if you don't wanna invest in it or do any of the minigames.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had heard that Chapter 13 of FFXV sucked and my god does it ever loving suck. You don't have any party members, they take away your weapons and gives you a new weapon that sucks and can only kill weak enemies and doesn't hurt strong ones at all. There are also stealth elements which the game really isn't designed for.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Breetai posted:

The story in Alpha Protocol is pretty immutable, all that really changes is who shows up where and what the game tells you about it. I love that and it's done really well but it's not really all that different than most post-Walking Dead Telltale games in term of reactivity.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider: Baba Yaga DLC: BOY IT SURE IS loving FUN TO HAVE THE SECOND HALF OF A DUMB AND lovely BOSS FIGHT IN AN ARENA WITH lovely PSYCHEDELIC EFFECTS THAT MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE TO GO AND FALSE TRAILS YOU CAN loving FALL DOWN AND NOT GET OUT OF, THATS A FANTASTIC loving IDEA

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Digirat posted:

It's still amazing to me how many games have really important things that are very obviously and awkwardly tied to frame rate. Dishonored 2 launched with mouse sensitivity of all things being inversely proportional to frame rate, and the performance was garbage so almost everyone got to experience the results when the frame rate would randomly drop. Your perspective would suddenly snap past any graphically-demanding direction you turned towards.

At the same time I have some sympathy for it because I had to make a game in unreal 4 in college, and holy poo poo there are some very important things that are tied to the frame rate in that engine (like the strength of physics forces). Before that experience I just assumed our tools had long since moved on from those limitations but no, you still might have to fight the engine itself to get game calculations to be independent of graphical frame rate.

I just ran into a pretty fun example of this--Tom Clancy's Vegas Shootem' Up No. 2 keys the speed of idle animations to framerate. Plays just fine but all the characters are :coffeepal: incarnate, staring wildly around the room nonstop and fidgeting with their guns at hyperspeed.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

What happens in *sniff* Vegas stays in *sniff* Vegas.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

The story in Alpha Protocol is pretty immutable, all that really changes is who shows up where and what the game tells you about it. I love that and it's done really well but it's not really all that different than most post-Walking Dead Telltale games in term of reactivity.

It also determines who you can kill, depending on how you treated people and acted, what ending (of three I think) you can get, how difficulty things get in later levels, the kinds of options available to you, and a whole shitload of different scenes. You can bypass on or two boss battles entirely, or incite a man to attack you because he hates you so loving much.

Calling it 'not much different' than telltale games is an insult where the most a telltale game will let you do is choose who to shoot in a cutscene, something that has absolutely zero impact on gameplay.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, those Walking Dead Telltale games were so transparent with their 'choices'. You can save person A or B, who will act basically the same before dying off or leaving. You basically just get a different set of VO for the next 5 minutes and then the story kinda merges back with the main railroaded plot.

I can understand why there's such a linear plot for them - they have to have the same locations and characters used for everyone's version of the plot, it's just a bit disappointing because they're often hyping the choices being available.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

to be honest in a lot of those situations i do nothing unless the timer resets when it gets to the bottom in which case i make a decision. as far as im aware silence is the default choice so i am actually railroaded more than normal.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

muscles like this! posted:

I had heard that Chapter 13 of FFXV sucked and my god does it ever loving suck. You don't have any party members, they take away your weapons and gives you a new weapon that sucks and can only kill weak enemies and doesn't hurt strong ones at all. There are also stealth elements which the game really isn't designed for.

I am doing literally everything you can possibly do in the open world and then shelving it until they fix this. I want to finish the game on a high note and just don't feel like that will be possible after all the complaints about the last few chapters.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
payday 2 put in a chainsaw and it does as much damage as smacking cops with a bundle of cash

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played Final Fantasy Type-0 for the first time in months, I guess I got burned out trying to do all the requests on a second playthrough.
I tried to pick up where I left off, and then said "gently caress it", and stopped doing requests.

Also it takes forever to level up the fourteen characters your given, and the game wants them all to be leveled up.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Playing through Dishonored 2 right now, and both it and DXMD have some of the best stealth-based gameplay in the industry. Everything feels silky-smooth and responsive, and there are a billion ways you can complete each level (the bank and clockwork mansion from each game being the best levels I have played in possibly a decade).

Which makes me infuriated that both games appear to have cast marionettes as their voice actors. I get the writing's subpar, and I even give DXMD a pass given that the games wouldn't be Deus Ex without janky speech. But when Elias Toufexis is the only VA doing even basic voice inflection in either game, you have a serious problem.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Kruller posted:

It works best with a controller,

People always say this poo poo about a variety of PC games but it never works for me, except for Racing games I guess. I recently played the Darksiders action game series with PC + Mouse and everybody on forums I read were like "OMG PLAY THIS WITH A CONTRLLER BLA BLA" and I actually gave it a shot with my PS4 controller. Then I spent like 30 seconds fighting with slow camera controls and lack of keyboard shortcuts and not being able to quickly aim at things. Even in an action / adventure game the mouse makes it so easy to center your view instantly on what you want, or enemies or objects you need to get to. Controllers will always be clunky beasts that I will suck at using. I guess that's what I get for growing up without consoles and just PC games though.

And don't get me started on FPS games on Console. I recently started the Uncharted series and I can't for the life of me get through sections on Normal without intense effort to shoot the baddies. It is soo hard to aim and it doesn't seem like the game has any aim assist.

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Boofchicken posted:

I am doing literally everything you can possibly do in the open world and then shelving it until they fix this. I want to finish the game on a high note and just don't feel like that will be possible after all the complaints about the last few chapters.

Doing the same - I feel like if I play beyond the 9th chapter right now then I'm going to end up hating the game. I guess I'm willing to wait for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I kept hearing this and thought "Well how bad can it actually suck". I just played it and let me tell you boy howdy does it ever loving suck. People are not exaggerating at all.

XV started strong but after beating it I think it's my second least favorite mainline FF after XIII. The combat is pretty shallow, 85% of the stuff you can do at the end is already present at the beginning. I hear the combat compared to Kingdom Hearts a lot but contemporary Kingdom Hearts games are much deeper. There's probably more worldbuilding in the first 5 hours of FF X or XII than the entirety of XV. It's supposed to be focused on the main 4 characters but I don't really know anything about their backstories or motivation, apparently that's all in movies that don't come with the game. The entire "Small kingdom being invaded by a giant evil empire" plot turns out to be a red herring, more or less. The world feels a lot emptier than, say, XII or the Xenoblade games.

I'm kind of annoyed that they're adding story content who knows how long after launch because the odds of me playing a meh JRPG again are pretty drat low.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After being disappointed with the game I rewatched the Lego Movie and realised just why the cutscenes are so lifeless despite being taken directly from the film - they aren't directly from the film. They are remade, but with no background music whatsoever so all you have is the dialog, and without the music to add emotional context the dialog just falls flat. Even certain scenes with a lot of people - in hte movie you hear Emmett greeting the city, but at the same time you hear all his neighbours saying the exact same thing to show how in sync the city is - in the game you hear Emmett, and maybe 2 other people and it's staggered so it seems like just 3 weirdos. Similarly with the "Everything is Awesome" sequences - they only work due to escalation - first Emmett listening to it in his car, then the entire street full of cars singing it, then the construction site singing it while working, building to a ludicrous climax with dancing bulldozers and diggers do-se-doing with each other. In the game you get a muted clip of the bulldozers and that's it. No build up. It's really poorly presented. Compare to Lego City Undercover - a dumber, much more basic story but with some amusing twists that are fairly well presented despite the bad jokes and weird camera angles/closeups.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Chapter 13 is a metaphor in how in the series of Final Fantasy the 13th one sucked.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm completely stuck on the boss in Portal Stories: Mel. It has a time limit and the characters repeat the same dialogue every time. It's driving me mad so much I have to play it muted.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Leal posted:

Chapter 13 is a metaphor in how in the series of Final Fantasy the 13th one sucked.

13 was a thoroughly okay battle system dragged down by every other decision in the game. I went in having a decent idea what to do and was reasonably thorough with what little exploration there was and it still took me 18 hours to get to the point where I could freely choose my party from the 6 characters. Even then there's really only two viable configurations and the one that uses the shittier characters seems like it's just better. Also a 1-2 hour level that has kalxons going loving constantly.

Fighting the higher end mutants in call of pripyat is nowhere near as fun as fighting enemies that shoot you, burers (gravity controlling dwarves) especially.

They can try to yank your gun out of your hand, but they'll fail if your stamina isn't already low. The problem is one yank is enough to bottom out your stamina and they'll keep trying as long as they have LoS. They're pretty tough as well. Thankfully they're quite rare.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

13 was a thoroughly okay battle system dragged down by every other decision in the game. I went in having a decent idea what to do and was reasonably thorough with what little exploration there was and it still took me 18 hours to get to the point where I could freely choose my party from the 6 characters. Even then there's really only two viable configurations and the one that uses the shittier characters seems like it's just better. Also a 1-2 hour level that has kalxons going loving constantly.
I really liked 13's battle system and feel that a lot of complaints bout it specifically come from people that didn't understand it. A lot of people give poo poo to the auto-battle system claiming it took out strategy, when it didn't really. Once you learned an enemy weakness, the game would target it. If you had to manually input commands, once you learned an enemy's weakness, you would target it. Basically all the game did, was remove the step of manually selecting the commands in favor of giving you more active control over when your guys were attacking, defending or healing as opposed to having to wait until the next turn to react to a big attack the enemy was going to bust out because you just told your healer to cast holy or something and now you have to hope the ATB is fast enough.

But yeah the rest of the game tends to be a mess, I love the art design though. The only major difference between characters is attack speed and style, and their super moves. Even then the only one that really matters is Vanille's broken as gently caress death super which can kill all but like three or four things in the game instantly. I just used Lightning, Snow and Sazh forever once the game actually let me choose my party. Which, yeah, is a huge problem. When it first came out people said poo poo like "Give it 20 hours, it gets good then!" Because the game is basically a super linear 20 hour long intro where you can't go backwards half the time and you have no control over your party. FFX was never that bad at its worst, and until then it had been the most linear of the FF games.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I really liked 13's battle system and feel that a lot of complaints bout it specifically come from people that didn't understand it. A lot of people give poo poo to the auto-battle system claiming it took out strategy, when it didn't really. Once you learned an enemy weakness, the game would target it. If you had to manually input commands, once you learned an enemy's weakness, you would target it. Basically all the game did, was remove the step of manually selecting the commands in favor of giving you more active control over when your guys were attacking, defending or healing as opposed to having to wait until the next turn to react to a big attack the enemy was going to bust out because you just told your healer to cast holy or something and now you have to hope the ATB is fast enough.

But yeah the rest of the game tends to be a mess, I love the art design though. The only major difference between characters is attack speed and style, and their super moves. Even then the only one that really matters is Vanille's broken as gently caress death super which can kill all but like three or four things in the game instantly. I just used Lightning, Snow and Sazh forever once the game actually let me choose my party. Which, yeah, is a huge problem. When it first came out people said poo poo like "Give it 20 hours, it gets good then!" Because the game is basically a super linear 20 hour long intro where you can't go backwards half the time and you have no control over your party. FFX was never that bad at its worst, and until then it had been the most linear of the FF games.

I found that I really needed two medics if I wanted to be able to out-heal enemies, and since I wanted at least one of each role in my party that meant dumping a bunch of cp into sazh or sticking with the game's favourite garbage trio of lightning/hope/fang. Maybe I was just doing it wrong but it seemed like that was the best way to finish fights. The massive cp cost of the three roles the characters didn't have by the time you hit space australia was like one final gently caress you to party customisation.

Also Snow's blitz stops being a grenade and that's loving bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

I found that I really needed two medics if I wanted to be able to out-heal enemies, and since I wanted at least one of each role in my party that meant dumping a bunch of cp into sazh or sticking with the game's favourite garbage trio of lightning/hope/fang. Maybe I was just doing it wrong but it seemed like that was the best way to finish fights. The massive cp cost of the three roles the characters didn't have by the time you hit space australia was like one final gently caress you to party customisation.

Also Snow's blitz stops being a grenade and that's loving bullshit.

I think I only used one healer and had the others swap to a defensive formation whenever I needed to heal, IIRC going sentinal or whatever buffed healing effects? Something like that. Keeping your dudes buffed is important too. The worst two fights in the game if you didn't know the party system well were easily the Odin fight, because they don't explain poo poo to you and just toss you into a solo battle against a fuckoff boss, which the first time I fought it I thought you had to lose. And the giant airship you fight towards the later half of the game where you dismantle it bit by bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mad Max: how the hell was it decided that the bad guy should be named "Scrotus?"