Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've had free texts for like six years now, and it was available long before I had it. Decent deals for unlimited texts were around before smartphones and mobile data here. iMessage is completely uninteresting, and basically was before it even existed. People use Facebook messenger or text.

e: Sweden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No one is white knighting anyone. They are both equally poo poo as far as customer hostility.

The whole industry needs gutted, it's not a single carrier problem.

T-Mobile for the win. Live in the right place and enjoy the best carrier :) Whatever you don't like about em, they're definitely way way ahead on being less actively hostile to their customers.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I actually think the 2-year contract structure has more to do with iMessage than the SMS situation in the US. Sure, the lack of free cross-border SMS is what drove people to WhatsApp in Europe, but also the fact that an 600 USD iPhone cost 0-dollars + 2 year commitment surely drove many more people into the iPhone world than would've paid upfront for that same experience.

I also doubt iMessage is coming to Android. Its a key differentiator and what keeps many people locked into the platform, why would you open that up?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mr. Powers posted:

Your toilet is super low. I think everything would fall out of my pockets in the squat position. Solution for your phone: raise your toilet.

Most people don't sit on the toilet with their pants up :ssh:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Hang on just a fuckin second -- what??

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

I actually think the 2-year contract structure has more to do with iMessage than the SMS situation in the US. Sure, the lack of free cross-border SMS is what drove people to WhatsApp in Europe, but also the fact that an 600 USD iPhone cost 0-dollars + 2 year commitment surely drove many more people into the iPhone world than would've paid upfront for that same experience.
We have contracts in Europe as well, they just weren't ever mandatory. Lots of people here are on contracts where they pay £x/mo for phone and service combined. While the iPhone market share is a little lower here than it is in the US, it isn't significant compared to the difference in usage of WhatsApp. Having said that, WhatsApp isn't huge in the UK either, it's more of a continental thing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Most people don't sit on the toilet with their pants up :ssh:

I wasn't on the toilet when I wrote that, so I wasn't really thinking mechanics.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I have unlimited texts (UK) and I still prefer to WhatsApp people if I know they use it. Weirdly though I will choose SMS over Facebook messenger. I don't know why.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It really just depends on your group of friends

I have a whatsapp bunch, and a fb messenger bunch

Its a ballache

Oh, and me and the mrs use hangouts. She's the only person I've ever used it with

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

It really just depends on your group of friends

I have a whatsapp bunch, and a fb messenger bunch

Its a ballache

Oh, and me and the mrs use hangouts. She's the only person I've ever used it with

Interesting. She's also the only one I use it with.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FunOne posted:

I also doubt iMessage is coming to Android. Its a key differentiator and what keeps many people locked into the platform, why would you open that up?

yeah, i don't understand what apple would gain from putting it on android. it's one of those "It Just Works (as long as you and your family buy our hardware exclusively)" features that Apple uses to keep people buying Apple poo poo. it's way different from the apple music service, where they are making actual money from android users, and as a company they have a huge installed base of users that aren't totally within the apple sphere of devices, like people whose only interaction with apple is that they use itunes and maybe an ipod

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Seriously, Google has flipped the kill switch in this phone. A month ago I had an old phone that worked, and now it's got a battery drain issue with Bluetooth, the down volume button broken, wireless charging broken, a crack in the corner of the screen and now a crack diagonally across the whole display. It seems every week I'm back in here with another item on the list.

I think I should back up my phone this weekend. I really want to skip the 5x and get the next Nexus, but it is trying really hard to stay out of my reach.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
My next phone will be the iPhone 7, I think.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Seriously, Google has flipped the kill switch in this phone.

quote:

a crack in the corner of the screen and now a crack diagonally across the whole display.

Yep, sounds like Google killed your phone. :raise:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

RVProfootballer posted:

T-Mobile for the win. Live in the right place and enjoy the best carrier :) Whatever you don't like about em, they're definitely way way ahead on being less actively hostile to their customers.

Can confirm, I went T-Mobile 3 years ago and they've been great. I think they're not bullshitting when they say they've expanded their network, too. I drove 1000 miles around fuckass Washington last weekend and only lost reception in a couple of those Palouse valleys. Their reception in my office building is loads better than when I switched, too. The real test will be this summer when I do another cross-country.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yep, sounds like Google killed your phone. :raise:

The cracks are a bit odd because I check after every drop (and there have been drops) but both of these cracks were so fine that I didn't notice them after a drop, so, yeah, probably Google. It's the second display/glass on the phone, and I'm not sure if it is 100% OEM. It went 20 months with no damage at all until it broke catastrophically, so I figure maybe the glass is lower grade than original.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mr. Powers posted:

The cracks are a bit odd because I check after every drop (and there have been drops) but both of these cracks were so fine that I didn't notice them after a drop, so, yeah, probably Google. It's the second display/glass on the phone, and I'm not sure if it is 100% OEM. It went 20 months with no damage at all until it broke catastrophically, so I figure maybe the glass is lower grade than original.

No dumbass, it's because you keep dropping it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mr. Powers posted:

"I keep dropping my phone and the glass cracked WHAT'S GOING ON HERE" :tinfoil:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, i don't understand what apple would gain from putting it on android.

It lowers switching resistance come new phone/contact time.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Whizbang posted:

No dumbass, it's because you keep dropping it.

Yes, I actually think it's Google's fault that my screen is cracked and I totally wasn't being facetious. I do think the replacement screen I bought was lower grade glass, though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"Android system" crashes every time I tap a gmail notification. Going into gmail via the app icon works fine. This has happened since getting the June security updates on my Nexus 6, though that could be coincidence. The app was updated on the 2nd, the phone updated on the 9th, I noticed it sometime on the 10th. Persists across reboots. Anyone seeing similar?

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
Hey, I'm looking to get a blue Nexus 5x 32gb through Google Fi, but they're out of stock. Does anyone know if they restock that frequently?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

Hey, I'm looking to get a blue Nexus 5x 32gb through Google Fi, but they're out of stock. Does anyone know if they restock that frequently?

I don't know. I was looking at one 3-4 weeks ago and it was out of stock then. I'm guessing they've been sold out the entire time.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So I've got a fun problem with my LG G3 from AT&T. Since the Android 6.0 update, my phone has been slowly bogging down and one point gave me an invalid sim card error which upon restarting and so forth then gave me a no sim card error. Switched sim cards with my father's since we have the same phone and reads my sim card in his phone, but temporarily read his card then error'd. Did a network reset and seems to have fixed that problem. Fast forward a few weeks and after a call, my phone crashed and rebooted to the same sim error again. This time the network reset fix helped only for an hour. After that invalid and no sim card errors persist with only one time the sim card was read after turning it off and back on but only for less than 30 seconds.

Anyone else have that problem, should I mull over the problem with AT&T, and should I just shoot this thing into the sun and get a new phone? I've done just about every simple troubleshoot with rebooting, network reset, and factory reset also came across a post elsewhere where G3's were having similar problems with the 6.0 update so not certain if it's a hardware or software issue to be precise.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mr. Powers posted:

The cracks are a bit odd because I check after every drop (and there have been drops) but both of these cracks were so fine that I didn't notice them after a drop, so, yeah, probably Google.

Jesus christ. You've got to be trolling. :cripes:

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

BMB5150 posted:

So I've got a fun problem with my LG G3 from AT&T. Since the Android 6.0 update, my phone has been slowly bogging down and one point gave me an invalid sim card error which upon restarting and so forth then gave me a no sim card error. Switched sim cards with my father's since we have the same phone and reads my sim card in his phone, but temporarily read his card then error'd. Did a network reset and seems to have fixed that problem. Fast forward a few weeks and after a call, my phone crashed and rebooted to the same sim error again. This time the network reset fix helped only for an hour. After that invalid and no sim card errors persist with only one time the sim card was read after turning it off and back on but only for less than 30 seconds.

Anyone else have that problem, should I mull over the problem with AT&T, and should I just shoot this thing into the sun and get a new phone? I've done just about every simple troubleshoot with rebooting, network reset, and factory reset also came across a post elsewhere where G3's were having similar problems with the 6.0 update so not certain if it's a hardware or software issue to be precise.

edit: Nm saw you tried factory resetting. You could give calling AT&T, as a former employee there are some backend told that can force a reset on the network registration for the SIM itself, just be prepared to get some redundant troubleshooting instructions as they're required to try certain things first before doing that.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 12, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

It lowers switching resistance come new phone/contact time.

yes, it lowers resistance to people switching away from your hardware products, and your hardware products are your primary revenue/profit area. this may be why you aren't running apple

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, it lowers resistance to people switching away from your hardware products, and your hardware products are your primary revenue/profit area. this may be why you aren't running apple

You're assuming that iMessage is the primary reason people are paying close to double the price of a Nexus for an iPhone. (Yes, I know not all at once; it's not my fault the general public is not so good with the math.)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You're assuming that iMessage is the primary reason people are paying close to double the price of a Nexus for an iPhone. (Yes, I know not all at once; it's not my fault the general public is not so good with the math.)

Nobody buys Nexus phones, and Android phones that people do buy, like Samsung Galaxy S and Notes, cost as much or more than iPhones.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

Nobody buys Nexus phones, and Android phones that people do buy, like Samsung Galaxy S and Notes, cost as much or more than iPhones.

Wow, that actually makes Lutha Mahtin's argument look worse.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Wow, that actually makes Lutha Mahtin's argument look worse.

this is turning into a derail, so here's my last post

apple and samsung and like every big electronics, computer, software, and internet company does this. they build exclusive features into their products that nudge people toward staying within their own product ecosystem. this is basic economics, where a firm seeks to extract profit by reducing competition. if a customer of yours is considering a new product, and they know that going with one of your products again will give them certain advantages, it makes it harder for other firms to attract that customer away

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

RVProfootballer posted:

Bunch of coworkers have T-Mobile and can't make or receive calls depending on where they are in the office. The lone Sprint sufferer is even worse off but I assume the building is the least of their problems. Verizon is terrible in many, many ways but I never miss phonecalls at work.

Even with our building reception issues, if I had to switch I'd go with T-Mobile over AT&T though as I've got a really bad taste for them after countless support calls for their poo poo DSL and UVerse service. Nothing but endless billing errors, user-hostile modem/routers, and garbage performance. At least with wifi calling I could make it work with T-Mobile vs ever having to deal with AT&T support ever again. My Verizon support calls have never been fun exactly, but they haven't disconnected me after 45 minutes on hold yet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I get 4 bars of T-Mobile in our concrete police bunker and 0-1 bars of Verizon. And our work phones and police tough books are on Verizon. :(

Also there's wifi calling for the truly intractably impenetrable buildings.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I quite like the wifi calling since I turned it on. Seems to work well, and sound quality is pretty good. Didn't realize I needed to flip a switch to enable it until recently.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I meant resistance in switching to an iPhone. If you've already got a foot in the door with iMessage, then frustration with the usual raft of Android issues might be enough to push you into switching.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I did the huge mistake of falling asleep with my cellphone in my hands while on a train, so time for a change!

I come from a Moto X Pure/Style, I love stock android, I'm between:

Samsung S7 32gb
(More recent hardware)

Nexus 6P 64gb
(Stock Android)

Has anyone experimented with both enough to have an opinion?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cable posted:

I did the huge mistake of falling asleep with my cellphone in my hands while on a train, so time for a change!

I come from a Moto X Pure/Style, I love stock android, I'm between:

Samsung S7 32gb
(More recent hardware)

Nexus 6P 64gb
(Stock Android)

Has anyone experimented with both enough to have an opinion?

No, but I had an S6 and I'll never go back. Get the Nexus. I replaced the S6 with a Moto X and it's night and loving day better, you should either stick with Moto if you prefer their additions or get a Nexus.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

broken clock opsec posted:

I get 4 bars of T-Mobile in our concrete police bunker and 0-1 bars of Verizon. And our work phones and police tough books are on Verizon. :(
So make Verizon pony up for micro-cells through the building. Depending on the value of your corporate contract, they'll do it.

They did for our concrete bunker building, at least.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So make Verizon pony up for micro-cells through the building. Depending on the value of your corporate contract, they'll do it.

They did for our concrete bunker building, at least.

I confused you with LITERALLY A BIRD and was VERY confused why a person working in a Vet hospital needed a concrete bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cable posted:

So for those of us who don't ride trains, did this mean someone stole it and you have no expectations to get it back? Do you have to worry about things in your pockets if you fall asleep on the train too?