Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not like that is US specific. As someone from Finland, live candles on christmas trees sounds insanely dumb.

And I read a disturbing amount of incidents in a swedsh forum from loving vases of water and similar transparent things working as magnifying glasses for the sun and setting small fires and leaving scorch marks on things such as tables and walls and furniture.

A coworker of mine had to pay a neighbor to apply non reflective coating to the windows facing my coworker's house because reflected light was somehow melting the vinyl siding.

Until they offered to pay, the neighbor didn't care and wouldn't do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A coworker of mine had to pay a neighbor to apply non reflective coating to the windows facing my coworker's house because reflected light was somehow melting the vinyl siding.

Until they offered to pay, the neighbor didn't care and wouldn't do anything about it.

I would have installed a spite fence, clad in mirrors.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pushing forward with candle-free content... I'm with the skeptical posters on this reddit post.

I can't see this working out great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Pushing forward with candle-free content... I'm with the skeptical posters on this reddit post.

I can't see this working out great.

OK so why not just put T-pieces on the ducts coming out of the roof with sleeves or short lengths of duct in between?

e: Unless that's supposed to be some sort of insane cooler or something? (Granted, I've only been familiar with duct-work for 12 or so years so maybe this is perfectly reasonable.)

ee: OK looking at it more closely, assuming it's all more or less one-way, that does eliminate sharp angles.

eee: Oh wait it doesn't since the joins on the other end are angled the other way :wth:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK so why not just put T-pieces on the ducts coming out of the roof with sleeves or short lengths of duct in between?

e: Unless that's supposed to be some sort of insane cooler or something? (Granted, I've only been familiar with duct-work for 12 or so years so maybe this is perfectly reasonable.)

It's supposed to keep lint from those dryer vents at a laundromat from covering the AC condenser.

It will, it'll just cover the condenser in ash when the building burns down.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jerry Cotton posted:

These are dryer vents, and this is definitely not reasonable. Tons of things wrong:

The dryers probably don't have backdraft or control dampers on them, so when dryer 1 is on and dryer 2 isn't, you're going to get dryer 1 venting back into dryer 2. This goes along with the next thing is that the common duct every dryer is tied into is nowhere big enough to handle the capacity of multiple dryers running. That duct lying on the roof is going to be completely full of lint very quickly since everything is going to blow right into that duct and get stuck.

The guy doing it is apparently the maintenance guy for several laundromats. So he probably knows a little bit about fixing a lot of things, but knows nothing about duct install or codes.

Best case scenario here is probably all the dryers break down from the terrible venting. Worst case scenario is all that lint stuck in the duct catches fire and the place burns down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As a lint novice: wouldn't you want to just catch the lint as early on in the process as possible? I don't see any cleaning hatches anywhere so it would have to be dismantled frequently as opposed to having to change/clean filters somewhere frequently.

e: Anyway gonna print this out and show it to the next duct guy I see. I'd bet 10€ they'll say "loving engineers!" :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

And I read a disturbing amount of incidents in a swedsh forum from loving vases of water and similar transparent things working as magnifying glasses for the sun and setting small fires and leaving scorch marks on things such as tables and walls and furniture.

Reminds me of the London skyscraper shaped like a parabolic mirror

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can't you just put little filters on the end of each of those ducts and then clean them out every few weeks?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm going to guess Laundromat.

Also, is that going large to small? Won't that backfeed any vent that's not actively exhausting and blow moist air *back* into the building?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

This isn't the first time Viñoly's architecture has raised eyebrows as well as temperatures: His Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas has been criticized for directing sunbeams onto the swimming pool deck that are hot enough to melt plastic and singe people's hair. The hotspot became known as the "Vdara death ray."

Okay, you might be excused the first time you make this design mistake, but to do it again??

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I fail to see the point. Why not leave each exhaust just venting into the air? Why do they need to be tied together?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

I fail to see the point. Why not leave each exhaust just venting into the air? Why do they need to be tied together?

The guy facilitating the project is dealing with the air conditioning condenser you can see in the picture tripping on high head safety because lint and hot air is preventing the refrigerant being effectively cooled. He chose a pretty bad solution to that problem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

spog posted:

Okay, you might be excused the first time you make this design mistake, but to do it again??
This is the point in the film where the housemaid stumbles across a diagram of a miles-wide orbital mirror with "Mark III" scrawled across the top.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thread title still on point :discourse:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bird in a Blender posted:

These are dryer vents, and this is definitely not reasonable. Tons of things wrong:

The dryers probably don't have backdraft or control dampers on them, so when dryer 1 is on and dryer 2 isn't, you're going to get dryer 1 venting back into dryer 2. This goes along with the next thing is that the common duct every dryer is tied into is nowhere big enough to handle the capacity of multiple dryers running. That duct lying on the roof is going to be completely full of lint very quickly since everything is going to blow right into that duct and get stuck.

The guy doing it is apparently the maintenance guy for several laundromats. So he probably knows a little bit about fixing a lot of things, but knows nothing about duct install or codes.

Best case scenario here is probably all the dryers break down from the terrible venting. Worst case scenario is all that lint stuck in the duct catches fire and the place burns down.

I mean, the only way I ~remotely~ see this working (and poorly) is if they have a massive fan on the "exhaust" end just sucking air through 24/7. Keeps them from back-drafting, might keep the lint from building up and might work. Probably not, but, yeah. I'm trying to apply some logic to a stupid thing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

spog posted:

Even better:

https://gizmodo.com/death-ray-architect-speaks-out-about-his-car-melting-1265000912

quote:

"I knew this was going to happen," said Viñoly, speaking to the Guardian on Friday. "But there was a lack of tools or software that could be used to analyse the problem accurately."

"When it was spotted on a second design iteration, we judged the temperature was going to be about 36 degrees," he said. "But it's turned out to be more like 72 degrees. They are calling it the 'death ray', because if you go there you might die. It is phenomenal, this thing."

(re: the Vdara) "That was a completely different problem," said Viñoly, insisting he was following a masterplan that specified arc-shaped towers. "We pointed out that would be an issue too, but who cares if you fry somebody in Las Vegas, right?"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

"We pointed out that would be an issue too, but who cares if you fry somebody in Las Vegas, right?"

I mean, they're not wrong. You're going to fry one way or another in Vegas.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
RE: parabolic mirror chat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Concert_Hall#Reflection_problems

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I used to work on the adjacent property and it was even dumber than that. Basically the convex portion faces South and also the lights converges over a pool area.

Patio chairs that looks like they were covered with melted cheese were not uncommon.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I once had a '71 Nova with off-white vinyl seats, and always parked it in the same place every day at my house. At some point it got a rock chip in the windshield, which acted as a lens, and burned a trace of the sun's path onto the passenger seat.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I lived near a building like this I'd be tempted to see if it could spark up the candles on my windowsill.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I once had a '71 Nova with off-white vinyl seats, and always parked it in the same place every day at my house. At some point it got a rock chip in the windshield, which acted as a lens, and burned a trace of the sun's path onto the passenger seat.

That's kinda cool tbh.

The best I can claim was, as a kid, seeing we had a heatwave coming and filling one of my mom's van's cupholders with bits of crayons and an army man. It was forever more stuck in a melted, technicolor quagmire :v:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Yeah, my parents used to have a scorched table because I left a clear glass paperweight on it in front of the window.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Saw these on my fakebook feed. Not too far away from me.

In fairness, it was windy like a motherfuckin mothefucker yesterday.

Also, they may not have been "structurally" complete.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Bullshit if you have it sheathed that sumbitch should be good to go. That building is bad engineering or constructed wrong.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
WTF are they doing installing all that crap if it isn't structurally complete?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the last structural element is that OSB they're using for sheathing. Something's fucky in there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

breadsticks, and gum, and shellac.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
They hadn't put on the structural exterior foam molding yet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Looking at it some more, my guess would be that all those windows (a.k.a. holes in the walls) meant that the sheathing wasn't able to provide much racking resistance to speak of. In particular, the turret section has very little continuous sheathing where the windows are, and what sheathing there is is cut into little pieces. If the sheathing only spans two studs, and doesn't span across floors, then it's not going to make the house much stronger. Not only that, the sheathing they used is apparently made of fiberglass and gypsum -- I'd thought that was a layer directly on top of OSB, but I guess not. I don't know how much strength it has but I'd be surprised if it were as strong as OSB or plywood.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The wind blew out the load bearing oxygen :downs:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looking at it some more, my guess would be that all those windows (a.k.a. holes in the walls) meant that the sheathing wasn't able to provide much racking resistance to speak of. In particular, the turret section has very little continuous sheathing where the windows are, and what sheathing there is is cut into little pieces. If the sheathing only spans two studs, and doesn't span across floors, then it's not going to make the house much stronger. Not only that, the sheathing they used is apparently made of fiberglass and gypsum -- I'd thought that was a layer directly on top of OSB, but I guess not. I don't know how much strength it has but I'd be surprised if it were as strong as OSB or plywood.

The design is what caught my eye. Every window reduces the shear strength of a wall, and is the reason you’ll see large walls with few or no windows on a home. Look at the garage doors, giant holes with very little meat around them, and a lot of weight above.

Densglass or similar sheathing is fine for this purpose but you are correct in that the small pieces don’t do a lot to keep the racking forces in check.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
100% going with insulated concrete form construction when I build my dream house.

Which will be never, because I hate moving, and I also don't think I'll ever be able to trust a contracting company enough to entrust it with building my home.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It was missing the load bearing drywall inside.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Bullshit if you have it sheathed that sumbitch should be good to go. That building is bad engineering or constructed wrong.

Chin Strap posted:

WTF are they doing installing all that crap if it isn't structurally complete?

Word. I don't know much about house construction, so.... uhhhmmm yeah. Crappy construction.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

100% going with insulated concrete form construction when I build my dream house.

Which will be never, because I hate moving, and I also don't think I'll ever be able to trust a contracting company enough to entrust it with building my home.

Those old Titan missile silos have always appealed to me.

Okay the lack of a view and poor wifi are pretty major negatives, but at least I won't have a hole in the drywall when hanging a heavy picture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Instead you'll deal with groundwater infiltration, lack of ventilation, elevator maintenance, and you'll sleep with the sure knowledge that somewhere in Russia there's probably a nuclear ICBM with your address programmed into it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The walls and windows aren't the (main) problem. That house has an acute beam deficiency, with co-morbidities of execessive open floor plan and vaulted ceilings. If there's a basement... it is bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The number of windows on that place make it look like a house I'd build in the Sims, wow.