Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GotLag posted:

A few points:
  • 90° inserters have the same rotation speed but half the travel distance of 180° inserters, so they have higher throughput.
  • The near/far toggle (Ctrl+F) is also extremely useful for using mixed belts, so don't forget that - note that this is only for insert position, inserters will always pick up from the near side of a belt by preference.
  • Similar to above, you can use near/far insertion to (approximately) balance the output of a row of furnaces or assemblers by alternating which side their output is dropped on.
  • When you place an inserter or an inserter ghost it will always use default pickup direction and insertion point. However, the Side Inserters keyboard shortcuts do work on inserter ghosts (placement while holding shift), although the changes won't be reflected in the ghost's appearance. So you can place a ghost and adjust the orientation before building the ghost by hand, or before a bot gets there to place it. Alternatively, copy an existing inserter with the right settings using Ctrl+C, or just build an inserter somewhere safe, set it up, and cut and paste that.

Thanks, this is great info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
My rule of thumb for signals:

1. Chain signals literally everywhere.
2. Once you start having long one-way tracks, add regular signals for entering them, and at regular intervals along them to allow more trains onto them. Always make sure an entire train fits after the first regular signal. (The ones after the second regular signal can be closer together.)

This way your train system can never be hosed up, and you can optimize its throughput as you play by adding signals that CAN gently caress poo poo up in places you identify as needing throughput.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Got a Seablock modpack question: Is there a preinstalled way to change inputs/outputs of buildings, or do I need to install GDIW on top of the pack to be able to do that?

I vaguely remember being able to do that in the past, but it has been so long since I last played it I might have added mods.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

magicalblender posted:

When I put down ghost imprints at the end of my bus, it takes my construction robots a long time to go to my mall, pick up inserters and belts and things, and travel to the construction site. Is there some combination of logistics chests I can lay down ahead of time that the robots will keep stocked and draw from during construction? I thought a simple requester chest would do it, and the robots do keep it stocked, but they ignore it when I construct things. I also tried an inserter that moves items from a requester chest into a storage chest, but then robots put the storage chest items right back in the requester chest.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Logistic_network#Priorities_of_robots

Bots do not pick up from requester chests. Bots do not deliver to provider chests. What you're looking for are buffer chests. Storage chests would also sorta work, but buffer chests are really the specific thing you want.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

magicalblender posted:

When I put down ghost imprints at the end of my bus, it takes my construction robots a long time to go to my mall, pick up inserters and belts and things, and travel to the construction site. Is there some combination of logistics chests I can lay down ahead of time that the robots will keep stocked and draw from during construction? I thought a simple requester chest would do it, and the robots do keep it stocked, but they ignore it when I construct things. I also tried an inserter that moves items from a requester chest into a storage chest, but then robots put the storage chest items right back in the requester chest.
What you're looking for is the buffer chest (the green one). Buffer and requester chests can both make requests, but only buffer chests make their contents available to construction bots. Requester chests are for when you want to take the contents out using an inserter (or by hand).

Buffer chests also make their contents available for personal logistic requests, so you can set a bunch around your factory and have them all request something you always want to keep on hand. So if you always want to have 500 iron plates in your inventory, make a bunch of buffer chests request 500 iron plates, and then whenever you need your bots to bring some to you, they'll pick the closest buffer chest instead of traveling all the way across your factory.

edit: :argh: ^^^

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Just posting to say that this is pretty much the game of the decade

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Seriously.

Isn’t it one of the highest rated games ever on steam?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
A hair below Portal 2 for top rated game, if steamdb.info is to be trusted

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm expanding outward looking for large resource deposits and I have to say I love the nuke. This is the first game I've played since it was introduced and it's fantastic for taking out those huge hives out in the wilderness.

I am noticing that as I scale up iron and copper production I'm quickly exceeding what even blue belts can provide. A few super-buffed furnaces cap out a belt so I have to make this huge nasty parallel belt system that needs to be balanced. I guess everyone just uses bots for megabases?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Factorio, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Factorio, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love kill myself with the Bomb

Fixed for accuracy from my personal experience.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I forget I have nukes selected and take out a chunk of base with a misfire.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I'm currently also in the stages of setting up my first megabase, using kirkmcdonald to plan expansion. I'm trying to go for a modular approach to smelting and intermediary component production (mainly circuits) via train networks supplying everything between production blocks. My question was, what's a good way of calculating how to best load / unload the necessary raw materials at production block - like if I know I need 10 belts worth of Copper Plates what does that equate to in terms of trains, is it a case of working backward from carriage capacity and inserter throughput?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Travic posted:

I'm expanding outward looking for large resource deposits and I have to say I love the nuke. This is the first game I've played since it was introduced and it's fantastic for taking out those huge hives out in the wilderness.

I am noticing that as I scale up iron and copper production I'm quickly exceeding what even blue belts can provide. A few super-buffed furnaces cap out a belt so I have to make this huge nasty parallel belt system that needs to be balanced. I guess everyone just uses bots for megabases?

You could also separate production into cell structures. You can think of this like adding more inputs to the bus or like replacing the bus with trains. So instead of having a bus and some material takeoffs for say red circuits you have an area that produces red circuits starting from iron and copper plates or whatever and making everything there. Then you can feed that with a dedicated set of smelters that’s different from the ones for green circuits or whatever

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

necrotic posted:

I forget I have nukes selected and take out a chunk of base with a misfire.

I call this welfare for bots

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Vetitum posted:

I'm currently also in the stages of setting up my first megabase, using kirkmcdonald to plan expansion. I'm trying to go for a modular approach to smelting and intermediary component production (mainly circuits) via train networks supplying everything between production blocks. My question was, what's a good way of calculating how to best load / unload the necessary raw materials at production block - like if I know I need 10 belts worth of Copper Plates what does that equate to in terms of trains, is it a case of working backward from carriage capacity and inserter throughput?

Yeah, you work out how many train platforms you need based on inserter speed. The train-to-buffer-chest inserters are going to be faster than the chest-to-belt ones, so depending on how long your trains are (i.e. how quickly a new train can get in after the old one leaves) and how much items stack you might be able to ignore figuring out the actual train throughput, because the chest-to-belt inserters are the bottleneck.

Once you have enough platforms, and you've checked you have enough production of the thing you care about, I just eyeball adding trains until the overall throughput is where I need it to be.

Remember that if you've calculated that you need three unloading stations working full-time to meet your resource needs, whatever produces that material is going to need three loading stations working full-time to provide the required number of trains, plus whatever it needs for other consumers of that material.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm watching Katherine of Sky's megabase videos to learn how to do this and her world has 100 million+ ore patches. Did I gently caress myself over by having a pretty normal world? After exploring a ways out I'm drawing from deposits that are ~20-30 million. Was I supposed to crank it up to the max?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The further you go, the bigger they get. It's not a huge deal.

I like playing one step above normal personally, cranking it up to the max mostly just means that your original patches never really go away and you feel bad paving over them when you want the space.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Travic posted:

I'm watching Katherine of Sky's megabase videos to learn how to do this and her world has 100 million+ ore patches. Did I gently caress myself over by having a pretty normal world? After exploring a ways out I'm drawing from deposits that are ~20-30 million. Was I supposed to crank it up to the max?

~3 million is a lot. 30 will last you a very long time. Don't worry about.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Thinking about giving industrial revolution a try. I never liked the massive complexity of bobs or angles, so this sort of appeals to me. I never really thought the game needed more ores or more crafting steps, and I can't care less for realism.

What are your guys' thoughts on it? What are the pros and cons? It looks like it's completely changing the game from the ground up, so I'm not sure if I want to dive into it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One of the big gimmicks of the mod is more crafting steps, so if that's not what you had in mind it might not be for you.

It's not really about realism sperginess though, it's deliberate game design to push you towards automating more stuff even during the burner phase instead of just pushing through with handcrafting everything until you get electricity set up like in vanilla.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

On average you can expect things in IR to take 1-2 more subcomponents to manufacture than a similar machine or device in vanilla.

The difference in IR comes from each of those subcomponents probably requiring 1-3 ingredients as well, and even one-ingredient subsubcomponents frequently require an extra step between starting with an ingot and crafting your thing. In particular, fasteners are a thing and are made from Rods of the same material, and are required for all kinds of subcomponents.

The addition of Tin and Bronze to Copper as early game engineering materials leads to the initial base footprint during the burner phase being the size of vanilla early electricity, and the addition of Glass as a component for anything which glows (Lamps, but also Signals) in the IR Iron Age has a similar if more limited effect; likewise Gold as a new ore type requiring Water to mine for the Steel Age.

The final set of complications comes from smelting itself. You start out feeding 12 raw ore into furnaces to receive 12 ingots, but progress before electricity into having a pre-smelting step where each Ore is processed into Crushed Ore, where 10 pcs are required for every 12 ingots, and then around the Steel Age you gain access to Washing, which takes each Crushed Ore and turns it into a Refined Ore, which furnaces can use 8 of to produce 12 ingots in the same time period.

The killer here is that the Washing step has an approach we’ve seen in Bob’s and other mods, where in addition to a 100% chance to give you a Refined Whatever, you also have a limited chance to find something else. Tin washing gives Refined Lead, Copper will yield Rubies, and Iron has a shot at both Refined Titanium and Chrome. I set up Iron washing first, then Copper, and right when I was looking at turning sizable Ti reserves into new, more damaging ammo, I realized I needed the newest generation of furnaces to process it at all. These require a components which needs Solder, so far the only subcomponent to require Lead. At the end of my playtime yesterday I had just finally set up Tin washing into containers so that next week I can route the Lead into new furnaces to produce Titanium mags, now that the 40k steel mags I had thought was dramatic overproduction are nearly gone.

It was 22 hours into the playthrough when I finally hooked up my first rail route, to deliver coal to my steam plant, and that was when I finally went through the factory to rip out the old coal lines and replace the burner assemblers and ore crushers with electric ones. I’m close to 200 now and just about to start fuxing with Titanium smelting and after that Chrome processing, which appears to be a chemical/liquid handling process.

Overall I find it a nice medium between Vanilla and some of the more out-there complication-for-complication’s sake expansion mods.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

IR is pretty fun but yeah it adds a bunch of stuff. Difference between IR and angelbob's is a) it's less complex and b) it's actually well designed. I wish there was a use for bronze after you leave the bronze age though - maybe bushings or something? Who knows.

IR is really the early game equivalent of krastorio I think.

fake e:

I'm using TSM for the first time, also never having used LTN. It seems pretty nice, but one thing that keeps happening is -

I used the getting started guide to set up several routes. There's one in particular that actually has multiple consumers - stone. I set up a supplier siding called "south stone depot" or whatever. There are two stations named this. I have normal stops at my stone mines. As the getting started guide recommends, I make a train on an automatic route from full cargo at the mine to the depot siding with a condition of (empty resource) circuit count < 0, aka an infinite wait.

I set up a requester station, give it a reasonable input condition, attach it to the priority, and see that it is requesting a train. The train comes, and I see that the mod altered its route to add the requester station after the infinite wait. Everything seems to be working!

I go and do other stuff for a while and realize that the stone input with that requester has ground to a halt because it's out of stone. Weird. There's an outstanding unfulfilled request for that stone priority; the requester is signaling. There's a full train at the stone depot stop. It has essentially the same schedule it did last time: full cargo at the mine, infinite wait at the depot, and (added by the mod) empty cargo at the requester - but it won't go to the requester, because it's at the depot, and has an infinite wait. If I click the arrow next to the requester stop it goes just fine.

So uhhh what did I do wrong here

Phobeste fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 4, 2020

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I've been doing my first IR playthrough and I would really recommend getting a recipes mod like FNEI (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FNEI) so you can see what each component builds in to. This will make planning your base a lot easier!

I think I'm about 20 hours in and I have my first few iron components being assembled.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
The nice thing about IR (and Krastorio too, for that matter) is that the addition of complexity is balanced by a reduction in demands for throughput. I'm deep into an IR+K run where I'm just about ready to start researching the rocket, and my main bus is mostly yellow belts, with a few lines switched over to red. Even with that, I've completely avoided my almost constant vanilla issue of being starved for blue circuits. The two mods work very well together and make a nice change of pace from the vanilla game.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Thanks for all the responses. I guess IR isn't for me then. I still feel I should at least check it out in creative mode or something, which I'll probably do.

Here's a strange request: Are there any mods that center around just making a big factory, like turn this into a city building game? I just want to make the largest factory I can and see it grow infinitely as I continue to manage it.

I'm running RSO, and all ore patches have a small infinite core (except for the starter patches), so resource income is always going up for the most part, and outposts don't ever need to be dismantled, which I love.

Thing is, my factories always reach a point where I have every tech unlocked and research is going super fast, there really isn't any need to make more outposts or expand my factory other than to see science rate number go higher, which isn't enough for me.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Sea block maybe?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

SpaceX will at least extend the endgame and require additional factories after reaching rocket tech.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Here's a strange request: Are there any mods that center around just making a big factory, like turn this into a city building game? I just want to make the largest factory I can and see it grow infinitely as I continue to manage it.

Pymods.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Phobeste posted:

Sea block maybe?

It's probably Sea Block, I re-started the other day after dropping it due to getting busy back in august & it's fun to realize that this base is much better than my last one, even though a massive % of my power goes into producing fuel for my power needs. It really is a game of "tear this down, letting the whole factory go dark for 5 minutes while you tool around updating things and setting them up better than last time."

I do wish you started with ~triple the sand though.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

lol

If IR seems too complicated suggesting that is just mean

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

They did say largest factory and infinite. :haw:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
seablock would be better if there were more materials and less fluids.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I would suggest giving krastorio a try. It is more complex but not nearly the same as angels or bobs. The middle game drags a bit, but it really scratches that itch once vanilla factorio becomes a little stale.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Bhodi posted:

seablock would be better if there were more materials and less fluids.

Water water everywhere and not a block to mine

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ah, heck. I'll get back into this, why not. Trying out Industrial Revolution + Krastorio with AAI stuff and Rampant. Any suggestions for what else needs to be added? (also have RSO, FNEI + Helmod, and a few other smaller things, but I'm talking anything that feels semi-mandatory)

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Ah, heck. I'll get back into this, why not. Trying out Industrial Revolution + Krastorio with AAI stuff and Rampant. Any suggestions for what else needs to be added? (also have RSO, FNEI + Helmod, and a few other smaller things, but I'm talking anything that feels semi-mandatory)

Disco Science, Squeak Through, VehicleSnap

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

I don't think I can start a new game anymore without Tiny Start. Gives you 20 robots and the stuff to set up minimal power and some electric mining drills so you can just never use a single burner 'thing' if you don't want to. Of course with IR that's kind of pointless if I understand that mod, but personally I just really don't like the burner phase and tiny start lets you just completely skip it if you don't want to scale up super fast.

You could of course still use Tiny Start and just throw the electric mining drills in a chest somewhere until you've gotten through the burner phase with IR. The 20 robots are still priceless in the early game.

Edit - also Long Reach, but I think Krastorio already has a medium ranged version of this included, just not as far as you can see on the screen.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

EDIT: Was having big performance issues when moving. The mod "Dirt Path" is to blame.

Is there any way to make a mod that changes the ground tiles as pollution rises? Trees change to dead trees over time already, but the ground and water stays the same... I want my factory's surroundings to look disgusting. But so far, it seems there's no mod that does that.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

What does RSO do that's different from the railworld setting? Other than not turning off biter expansion I suppose