Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not as good, doesn't have the sergeant with an eagle that takes up like 20% of the models height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I also don't remember Death Cultists being klansmen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I'm REALLY hoping they do this. A 5 man box just like the Scions box with shotguns and bolters would sell really well to old school hams, and any opportunity they have to release another Guardsmen stand-in kit is a good one if you ask me.

I'd buy one of those just for the prospect of mashing them with Scions to make shotgun veterans.
Or at some point make these guys:

I should buy more Scion helmets at some point.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cataphract posted:

Ok, so I'm slowly building my 30k Night lords and I should have some painted tonight. I haven't given a lot of thought to a list yet so if there's some thoughts y'all have I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking I want to use the terror assault rites of war and I spose this is the backbone that I've been building towards but I don't really know what else to add.

10xterror squad - volkite chargers, chainglave, melta bomb, drop pod
10xterror squad - volkite chargers, chainglave, melta bomb, drop pod
10xterror squad - boltguns, chainglave, melta bomb

10x Night raptors

Mortis contemptor with kheres assault cannons

Sicaran battle tank

Kurze

I figure maybe a praetor to roll with the terror squad or night raptors... maybe a melta gun toting tactical support squad. I'm keen for it to be a nice balance of fluffy/not terrible.

This is pretty close to what I was thinking for a Night Lords army. Do we pretty much have to convert our own chainglaives apart from the one that comes with Sevatar? I've also toyed with the thought of a Pride of the Legion rites army built around Sevatar outflanking veteran squads and a few squads of terminators. Both look like quite a bit of fun.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the Raptor kit has one, also.

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

As a new Imperial Guard player, where should I expand from the starting box? I went ahead and got a commissar, a Chimera + 10 guardsmen boxed set, and 10 guardsmen on top so that makes a Leman, 2 Chimeras, 40 guardsmen, 15 heavy weapons (3 of each of five when I get more bases and some cheap guardsmen) and a company squad. I'm not a new tabletop gamer and know how to magnetize and kitbash stuff together to the best of my ability, but I could use some pointers on how exactly to assemble and build a new army in a new rules set for me. I know I'm going to need a lot more dudes so that's a given but should I give all my guys lasguns for now and let my later kits be veteran squads with special + heavy weapon teams?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I finished my inquisitor :toot:

Xenos Inquisitor Scaramanga, The Man with the Golden Bolt Pistol.

Armed with power armor, bolt pistol, close combat weapon, liber heresius, and all the grenades he could carry, he rampaged across the battlefield with a unit of Deathwing Knights and caused untold chaos, felling two plague marines at range with his pistol before dropping another in close combat. Eventually he met his end at the hands of a Heldrake, whose bale flamer dropped him in one hit, but careful reconstruction of his body brought him back from the brink of death.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
That tome artwork made me jizz my pants, how do you do that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not as good, doesn't have the sergeant with an eagle that takes up like 20% of the models height.

Sorry, I thought it best to link the original arbites :smug:

Uroboros posted:

loving sorcery that's how

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Uroboros posted:

A paintbrush and a very steady hand.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

NTRabbit posted:

Sorry, I thought it best to link the original arbites :smug:

loving sorcery that's how

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B8DE-_wCM54/TyaI-CzeJqI/AAAAAAAAAz8/zmXIoCkkVaY/s1600/Citadel_Judge_Dredd_Minis.jpg

This is the original, you smug dick head

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Mailbox Roleplay posted:

As a new Imperial Guard player, where should I expand from the starting box? I went ahead and got a commissar, a Chimera + 10 guardsmen boxed set, and 10 guardsmen on top so that makes a Leman, 2 Chimeras, 40 guardsmen, 15 heavy weapons (3 of each of five when I get more bases and some cheap guardsmen) and a company squad. I'm not a new tabletop gamer and know how to magnetize and kitbash stuff together to the best of my ability, but I could use some pointers on how exactly to assemble and build a new army in a new rules set for me. I know I'm going to need a lot more dudes so that's a given but should I give all my guys lasguns for now and let my later kits be veteran squads with special + heavy weapon teams?

Get a punisher and put Pask in it. Other good buys would be a manticore and a wyvern. A good rule of thumb is a squad of dudes for every 250 pts. For a hilarious option, ally with DA and get 50 conscripts, a priest and Azrael. Also get some goddamned psykers with divination.

For vets, my setup is 2 plasmas+heavy flamer in a chimera.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reynold posted:

This is pretty close to what I was thinking for a Night Lords army. Do we pretty much have to convert our own chainglaives apart from the one that comes with Sevatar? I've also toyed with the thought of a Pride of the Legion rites army built around Sevatar outflanking veteran squads and a few squads of terminators. Both look like quite a bit of fun.

You get one in the night raptors kit.

Anvil industries do a set of 5

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Chain-Glaives

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

I finished my inquisitor :toot:

Xenos Inquisitor Scaramanga, The Man with the Golden Bolt Pistol.

Armed with power armor, bolt pistol, close combat weapon, liber heresius, and all the grenades he could carry, he rampaged across the battlefield with a unit of Deathwing Knights and caused untold chaos, felling two plague marines at range with his pistol before dropping another in close combat. Eventually he met his end at the hands of a Heldrake, whose bale flamer dropped him in one hit, but careful reconstruction of his body brought him back from the brink of death.

This is cool as hell.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sulecrist posted:

Hey Bulbasaur, could you take a good hard look at Word Bearers Ashen Circle and tell me if you think they're worthwhile? Cheap power axes seem nice and I love the models (as we've already discussed), but a squad of 10 is marginally more expensive than Assault Marines with what seem to be pretty marginal advantages, aren't a Troops choice, and Assault Marines seem kind of terrible as it is. Would you take them, and if so, how would you build them?

Ashen Circle are basically the only bad thing that Word Bearers have. Their Rite of War is pretty good, most of their characters are decent-to-good, almost all of their unique options and wargear are excellent, but the Ashen Circle are just kinda weak because jump units are hideously overcosted in 30K.

Mailbox Roleplay posted:

Magnetizing tank-sized stuff is actually pretty easy for the most part; I wouldn't worry about it with the Guardsmen or Chimeras, but with the Leman Russ you'll really appreciate having the option to switch around. (Failing that, I would build it as an Exterminator, the autocannons one, and give it Multimelta or Heavy Bolter sponsons.) Lascannons and Autocannons are really the only squad heavy weapons worth bothering with at this point- you can make the rest if you like, but they're not gonna see much use. Since Veterans and normal Guardsmen look pretty much exactly the same in most cases, I think it's worth it to make ~6 guys with special weapons so you have the option of either- three Plasma and three Melta would be my recommendation, but Flamers have their uses, too. If you don't have enough special weapons, Meltaguns are very easy to convert from Bolters.

In looking to expand, you're probably going to want to add ~20 more Guardsmen to your current lot and then consider which, if any, tanks strike your fancy. The Wyvern, Manticore, and all of the non-Ordnance Leman Russ variants are quite good, and most of the other vehicles are at least useable. The Vendetta is also still a very nice chassis and easily swappable with the Valkyrie. Their infantry are a bit more hit-and-miss, but it's hard to go wrong with more guys and Conscripts, Bullgryn, Priests, and Primaris Psykers are all pretty solid inclusions to a lot of armies.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey dude, welcome back!

The state of things are good, if a little weird. 7th Edition is about what we determined to begin with, a revamp/fix of 6th Edition with generally better (but imperfect) rules. If you can get over buying a new codex after only a few years I'd suggest picking it up, especially since there's a number of cheap and available mini-Rulebooks from the various dual sets they've been releasing (Stormclaw, Deathstorm).

GW is really shaking up how you can build your army and continues to make new and interesting (even sometimes good!) Formations and other grouping rules. The Necron Decurion system seems to be the latest thing, where you build a super-Formation out of other Formations and get free bonuses, essentially making an FOC out of groups instead of single units. I'm not sure if it's going to carry into the next codex and become a normal thing, but it's certainly interesting.

We just got Codex: Space Clowns, which seems to have made people who like them happy and people who hate them mad. We're not sure what's coming next but we might get Codex: Limousine so that's pretty cool.

That all sounds pretty cool. My playgroup is hesitant to make the switch to 7th, as they're enjoying 6th just fine (and a few want to go back to 5th.) I may pick up a copy to digest a bit and see. I mostly just want to paint little dudes and smash then together to make them fight/kiss.

Yo. :respek:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cataphract posted:

You get one in the night raptors kit.

Anvil industries do a set of 5

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Chain-Glaives

Thanks for this!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Would this monstrosity work as a Cerastus Knight? http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-crusader

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

Hey Bulbasaur, could you take a good hard look at Word Bearers Ashen Circle and tell me if you think they're worthwhile? Cheap power axes seem nice and I love the models (as we've already discussed), but a squad of 10 is marginally more expensive than Assault Marines with what seem to be pretty marginal advantages, aren't a Troops choice, and Assault Marines seem kind of terrible as it is. Would you take them, and if so, how would you build them?

I'm with AbusePuppy. Compared to assault marines they aren't a bad side-grade, but assault marines criminally overpriced. If you play mostly against 40k armies, it's just not worth it. If you are playing only 30k on 30k, there is more of a role for then, but it's only going to open up in big games with lots of enemy tactical blobs running around. Even then it's up for debate.

If you want to run Ashen Circle models as something, consider an alternative- proxy them for a command squad. Command squads are cheap and can be made into 2+ jump pack death squads. I can think of a few ways you could run those that would be better on your points and accomplish the same thing.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Slimnoid that is a fantastic inquisitor. I've got the power armour praetor left over from the forgeworld pair, have to get round to inquisitoring him one day.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Finished another assault cannon razorback today.

And some shots of the currently painted Black Templar force.

Notice the individual assault marine. Yeah, lowest priority unit there. I'm modelling them to be ascending/descending on their jump packs. I've made extensive use of the BT upgrade pack, Forge World doors, and even sprinkled in the slightly too small for modern marines metal BT shoulders they sold on the GW website (which seem to have been removed) throughout. Next up, moar vehicles.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Out of interest, how are Grey Knights these days?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're ok. Dreadknights got a lot better. They lost psybolt upgrades on vehicle weapons, can't get paladins as troops anymore and lost native access to inquisition stuff.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Tadhg posted:

That all sounds pretty cool. My playgroup is hesitant to make the switch to 7th, as they're enjoying 6th just fine (and a few want to go back to 5th.) I may pick up a copy to digest a bit and see. I mostly just want to paint little dudes and smash then together to make them fight/kiss.

Yo. :respek:

7th is basically a refined version of 6th anyway.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The new edition has balanced the codex a bit. Lots of silly stuff like psy bolt ammo and psychic pilot is gone. Inquisition units are gone from the codex also.

They are not as uber strong as they were but they have a good psychic phase and dread knights own now.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Grey Knights have like four good units in the entire codex, but the stuff that's good is very good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Okay, cheers. I was thinking of picking up a box of troops and an HQ to use as allies.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Okay, cheers. I was thinking of picking up a box of troops and an HQ to use as allies.

They are bad like, just not curb stompers like they used to be.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Not a bad way of going, as they do heap on psyker dice which is always nice.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would this monstrosity work as a Cerastus Knight? http://dreamforge-games.com/products/leviathan-crusader

Speaking from experience: quite well. The Leviathan kits are both really nice, and while there's one or two tricky spots with the legs that could maybe have been explained better, for the most part they go together really easily and are just fantastic-looking pieces overall. Be aware that they are larger than a Knight, although not by so much as to be unusable. The base they come with is circular and is pretty close to exactly the same width as the Knight's base is, but is quite a bit "deeper."

Depending on which variant you want it to count as, you may need to pick up one of the alternate weapon arms in order to make a good fit. The basic Crusader's multibarrel gun makes for a fine Knight Castigator, and there's a "flamer" arm that does a great Knight Acheron. (The Leviathan Mortis also has an empty hand to be the Reaver fist for that model, if you want to go that way.) The Knight Lancer is a bit tricker, as they don't have a good spear melee weapon, but you could probably make something if you tried.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Librarian is essentially the only HQ that GK get (all of the others are pretty weak), but he's actually quite good for what he is. Terminators are the de facto troop and can be kitted a couple different ways. Unless you absolutely loathe the model and cannot bear to convert it, I would strongly recommend a Dreadknight or two, as they are an excellent buy for the price- the guns range from decent to very strong and it has cheap upgrades for S10 Force Weapons and a 12" movement. Even stock-standard, a Dreadknight is a tough customer for most things to fight. The Nemesis Strike Force is the default choice for pretty much every GK army and requires only one HQ and one Troop to start out while letting you make reserve rolls for Deep Striking on turn 1 (as well as shoot + run the turn you arrive)- it's essentially a superior version of the Allied Detachment, albeit one without Objective Secured. Purifiers, Paladins, Purgators (if you have access to a good transport for them, such as a Drop Pod or the SR), and Stormraven are all quite useable as well in varying roles.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Be aware that they are larger than a Knight, although not by so much as to be unusable.

Well, if he's going for a Lancer, it seems to be of comparable height with the FW one.

If anything it might be a bit shorter than the Lancer. I don't know what the height of the Lancer is (google is providing nothing) but I'd say going by those photos it's close enough.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I was hoping to use the 15mm scale Leviathan Crusaders (or maybe Mortis variant) as Dreadknights but they weigh in at 4.5" tall which is way too out of scale, I feel.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I was hoping to use the 15mm scale Leviathan Crusaders (or maybe Mortis variant) as Dreadknights but they weigh in at 4.5" tall which is way too out of scale, I feel.

Eh, not TOO badly out of scale. A DK is about 4" tall.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Hmm, maybe they just feel that way since they're comparatively beefier. Hmm. I think a Leviathan Mortis with a right handed assault cannon and that big sickle arm would fit right in, though be even more expensive than a GW Dreadknight.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Sulecrist posted:

They look great - but I have NEVER gotten them into close combat. They always get blown away before I can even get them close.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DJ Dizzy posted:

I think the biggest problem you'll face is finding out that if you'd asked this about 2 weeks ago, you could have gotten it for $90 in the site wide 25% off sale that ran Jan 30 to Feb 10

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ghost Hand posted:

They look great - but I have NEVER gotten them into close combat. They always get blown away before I can even get them close.

The most effective use of 7th ed assault marines I ever saw was a guy who took the jump packs off and drop podded them in for the 2 flamers, assorted other shots and a unit that had to be shot but using any blast weapons was either impossible or danger close.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
And they're even limited in that role because Assault Sergeants aren't able to take combi-weapons.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tbh this is where Sternguard also show their quality... what do you take Assault Marines for? A fast moving objective grabber with an OK combat punch on the charge. Sternguard in a pod can shoot like demons, and still have 3 attacks each on the charge - 4 with Kantor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Assault marines and raptors are just sad now that bikes are only a few points more. If bikes were a little bit more expensive I think they'd have their niche again and people might actually take them. Their only gimmick is deep strike and regular marines have easy access to that through drop pods. It's also pretty bad for chaos marines as their bikers have pistols and close combat weapons on top of everything else, making raptors entirely redundant.

Guess who wants to run 20+ raptors for thematic reasons. :shepface:

• Locked thread