Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is this game better on PC or PS4? The answer most of the time is usually PC, but mine is not the greatest. i5, 8 gigs, and a 730GT which meets minimum, and surprisingly the GPU almost meets recommended somehow but I'm still a bit wary. In the next month or two I hope to upgrade the GPU anyway but I figured I'd ask anyway.

e: also what's the goon consensus on this game anyway? Having a cool space game to putz around in would be cool. I was excited for the concept of NMS but I knew it was going to be a pretty big letdown. If there's things to do, places to go, and numbers to make bigger I'd probably enjoy it.

I think you'll be fineish. I have the same processor, 16gb ram and a 770gt and I only experience slowdowns when mining asteroids up really close.

As for the game, the sound design and spaceship handling are extremely good. The grind and actual gameplay are less good but joining a player group can help with that a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hrm. I'm not sure if the grindy part is really that bothersome. I used to play WoW, not seriously, but just a fun thing to mindlessly enjoy and work on here and there. It just got really old after a lot of years on and off. I kind of want something to scratch that itch. I read the blurb in the OP, but will keyboard/mouse or PS4 controller suffice? Not sure if I want to drop money on a joystick anytime soon, although if I wind up liking this game a lot I might consider it eventually. Is it conducive to randomly hopping on for a hour or so here and there?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Control method largely comes down to personal preference. Some people swear by kb/m, and tons of people play on controller (everyone on xbox, for example). If you do decide you want a stick, you don't need to spend a ton of money these days to get a good one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, buy a cheap joystick and see how you go. Maybe you like it and that's enough. Totally cool.

And maybe you'll end up dissatisfied, go crazy and end up ordering a super high end Russian all metal gimbal joystick from VKB.
https://flightsimcontrols.com/store/joysticks/vkb-gladiator-pro-joystick/

That's endgame though. Unless you buy actual flight gear and want to spend many thousands to build your own cockpit.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm kind of disgruntled because I have a Vive, but don't have the money for a decent HOTAS setup. (I know, can afford the Vive but not the 60 extra dollars for a controller? But the Vive was only possible due to a generous gift of Christmas cash from a parent)

I've tried it on the Xbox controller but there just doesn't seem to be enough buttons. Even ignoring the stuff that can be moved over to the keyboard like landing gear and supercruise, at bare minimum during combat I need a reliable way to do pitch, roll and yaw, as well as strafe, adjust power settings, manage throttle, and fire weapons.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Voice attack is raved about and seems pretty cheap. I really should pick it up.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I do just fine with a controller on Xbox. Now that I'm used to Elite's control scheme, I find it really clever and rarely feel like I'm not flying how I want to.

Since I've enjoyed the time I've sunk into the Xbox version, I'm thinking of getting it on PC to see how keyboard and mouse fares. However, I'm so used to the Xbox controller now that I imagine I'll use it on PC, too, with the keyboard as a place for buttons not mapped to the controller. Plus, the way the Xbox controller rumbles is something I would miss.

Also, two versions of the game mean I can keep one in or near civilized space while the other can explore or bugger off to Colonia or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Verizian posted:

Voice attack is raved about and seems pretty cheap. I really should pick it up.

It's fully functional and works as advertised. I used to RES hunt with Tom Baker as my computer and he'd do a lot of my targeting and power allocation for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJJvn_MXwg

Only stopped using it because I felt silly barking orders at my computer.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is this game better on PC or PS4? The answer most of the time is usually PC, but mine is not the greatest. i5, 8 gigs, and a 730GT which meets minimum, and surprisingly the GPU almost meets recommended somehow but I'm still a bit wary. In the next month or two I hope to upgrade the GPU anyway but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I hate to miss an opportunity to poo poo on consoles, but since Elite is one of the very few games I play that doesn't have a robust modding community, and also plays really well with a controller, it might be one of the few multi-platform titles I'd consider buying for Playstation if it were out for Playstation and I happened to own a Playstation for some reason

edit: That said, I play on a GTX 560 Ti, and other than having to turn down texture detail to keep planetary surface exploration from becoming a slideshow, it runs quite well otherwise. So maybe don't let your PC hardware be the sole deciding factor.

edit2: VVV Issues Detected here too VVV

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are the servers having problems or something? I can't connect today, just says "Issues Detected" on the launcher and i'm trying to figure out if it's me or them. I'm EU if there are region servers and that matters.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are the servers having problems or something? I can't connect today, just says "Issues Detected" on the launcher and i'm trying to figure out if it's me or them. I'm EU if there are region servers and that matters.

Its been unstable for me since yesterday.

Also hotas/controller talk, whatever you do with either of these, its very important that you find a button layout that works for you. Im using this cheapo thrustmaster hotas I got for like 40 bucks and I hated it with the default layout. Found a really good one online and altered it slightly for my tastes and now I cant play elite without it. My muscle memory is set for this now and its hosed, I cant use anything else anymore. But the advantage is that you have access to everything you could ever want with a few button combinations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, just started randomly working again for me now.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

So I got an email detailing the patched notes, sounds like the weapons got a major change, and some ships got new hardpoints? Has this totally upset the meta and/or made combat interesting enough that I should just off my Vulture and try grinding again?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I found explanations for "wake", but what is the "bubble"?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's the general area containing almost all the populated systems around the initial spawn area.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

more like dICK posted:

I found explanations for "wake", but what is the "bubble"?

Human civilization. It's called "bubble" because it's basically this teeny tiny bubble of colonized systems inside the vaste, huge galaxy called Milkyway.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It's astonishing how tiny the bubble feels after a long exploration jaunt. There's 20,000 star systems in it, but it still feels like a backyard.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
If you're new to the game, a good, easy way to check out the bubble is to go into the galaxy map and turn on the Powerplay factions view. It'll create a nice colorful blob that more-or-less represents inhabited space.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Alright thanks everyone. I guess that's something to look into later.

Now that I've figured out how comprehensive insurance is,I feel a lot better about ditching the sidewinder and going straight to a Cobra. Courier missions in boom systems made me a lot of money.

If I'm interested in doing exploration, is there anything wrong with just picking a direction and gunning it?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

more like dICK posted:

Alright thanks everyone. I guess that's something to look into later.

Now that I've figured out how comprehensive insurance is,I feel a lot better about ditching the sidewinder and going straight to a Cobra. Courier missions in boom systems made me a lot of money.

If I'm interested in doing exploration, is there anything wrong with just picking a direction and gunning it?

You might also look into EDDiscovery. It's a really handy tool for keeping track of things you've done and where you've been.
https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/wiki

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

more like dICK posted:

Not entirely. Just make sure you have proper exploration stuff (Fuel scoop, stellar and body scanners, probably module repairs and/or reinforcement), and to keep yourself light. Other than that, have fun and enjoy eventual Space Madness :toot:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
With exploration are you really supposed to fly towards every object and scan it one at a time? Flying my asp explorer with an expensive scanner and I regularly see 35+ objects discovered per system. Some of them over 10 minutes from the local star in a straight line!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Verizian posted:

With exploration are you really supposed to fly towards every object and scan it one at a time? Flying my asp explorer with an expensive scanner and I regularly see 35+ objects discovered per system. Some of them over 10 minutes from the local star in a straight line!

You don't need to scan everything, just whatever you think is worth your time. If there's some ice-ball 400k LS away and you don't feel like going out there, then don't! Just move on the next system.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

more like dICK posted:

Also don't forget to take a SRV if you want to land somewhere. Flyig 10k ly is only half the fun if you can't put your rear end on a planet there!

Verizian posted:

:allears: Oh you sweet summer child

Kramjacks posted:

You don't need to scan everything, just whatever you think is worth your time. If there's some ice-ball 400k LS away and you don't feel like going out there, then don't! Just move on the next system.

I think he meant to ask if there's a way to scan more then one object at a time. (The answer is ha ha)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Verizian posted:

You learn what's valuable and what's interesting to see, and you ignore the rest.

For (approximate) reference, use a this chart.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Libluini posted:

Also don't forget to take a SRV if you want to land somewhere. Flyig 10k ly is only half the fun if you can't put your rear end on a planet there!

I would need the expansion for this, right?

Does exploration let you name/claim stuff, or resources or what? What's the payoff?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You get another bottomless well of potential in which to drown your hopes for this game.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Verizian posted:

In addition to using the chart Tippis posted, you can also hover your cursor over the plants once you've done the initial system "honk" and each type makes a different sound. A guide to planet sounds. Generally, you want to do a detailed scan of any "world", probably want to get the metal rich, and maybe the high metal contents if they aren't too far away. Definitely skip the rocky and icy. Jovians (gas giants) aren't that great either, even if they have life.

And yes the only way to scan planets is to head toward them until the scanner starts and completes. One at a time. Until the space madness takes you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

more like dICK posted:

I would need the expansion for this, right?

Does exploration let you name/claim stuff, or resources or what? What's the payoff?

Resources you collect via SRV go towards manufacturing stuff like ammo and FSD boosts and are also used by engineers to modify your ship's modules. When you're the first person to perform a detailed scan of an astronomical object and sell it back to a station your name appears next to it as "Discovered By" on the map.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Libluini posted:

I think he meant to ask if there's a way to scan more then one object at a time. (The answer is ha ha)

I always thought some kind of oneshot limpet for explorers that you can launch via the system map and it gets there super-fast and does your scan would be a good addition. Couldn't be as heavy as a regular limpet, maybe bought in 10-packs so you're not laden down?

Or proper probes that return to you, but you need a controller like the mining ones.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I always thought some kind of oneshot limpet for explorers that you can launch via the system map and it gets there super-fast and does your scan would be a good addition. Couldn't be as heavy as a regular limpet, maybe bought in 10-packs so you're not laden down?

Or proper probes that return to you, but you need a controller like the mining ones.

A one-shot probe would be dead on arrival, considering you generally scan down thousands of objects on a serious exploration trip. Even in 10-packs, that's probably more than even a trading-fit Cutter could carry.

The returning probes could work, but again if the probes and the controller weigh your ship down too much, a min-maxing explorer probably won't ever want to use them.

If something like this gets introduced, it either needs to have nearly zero weight, or it will end up as a neat toy for bubble-explorers. Most real explorers will simply ignore them.

Edit:

A better solution would be some kind of broadband-amplifier for your sensors, so you can amplify range and width of your sensor coverage.

Something like this:

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Basic: You can now scan in a 30° angle in front of you, up to 3 targets at once and the range calculation is changed to about double your range.

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Intermediate: You can now scan in 60° angle, up to 10 targets at once and your on-board scanners now have 3x the range.

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Advanced: 90° angle, everything you can cover with your cone and 5x the range.

This way you still have to sacrifice another module slot, but without having to carry around cargo (probes) or being weight down by the mass of the probes/probe controller.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 16, 2017

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just make it manufacturable with a materials recipe. Boom, new gameplay loop for explorers with SRVs.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Libluini posted:

A better solution would be some kind of broadband-amplifier for your sensors, so you can amplify range and width of your sensor coverage.

Something like this:

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Basic: You can now scan in a 30° angle in front of you, up to 3 targets at once and the range calculation is changed to about double your range.

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Intermediate: You can now scan in 60° angle, up to 10 targets at once and your on-board scanners now have 3x the range.

Broadband Sensor Amplifier Advanced: 90° angle, everything you can cover with your cone and 5x the range.

This way you still have to sacrifice another module slot, but without having to carry around cargo (probes) or being weight down by the mass of the probes/probe controller.

My immersion

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Which one of these proposed new toys for exploration allows descriptors like "life bearing" and "earth like" to actually mean something?

Because that's what exploration needs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

timn posted:

Just make it manufacturable with a materials recipe. Boom, new gameplay loop for explorers with SRVs.

This sounds exactly like what frontier would do.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
You scoff but with the mechanics available today it would be the most straightfoward way to make it sustainable but still interactive.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I scoff because there is exactly one way for them to do that and not have it be grindy and terrible and a hundred ways for them to put zero thought into it making it completely useless.

Knowing frontier you'd need 3 Tellurium to create one limpet which takes up cargo space.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They should make a ship launched fighter that is only good for exploring. Make it able to super cruise 100x faster than normal.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Honestly I think limpets should be ammo for the controller modules instead of separate cargo anyway, and if that were the case the recipe would just be a reload for the controller.

But even if not, there's plenty of factors they'd have to balance anyway like what materials, how many limpets you get per recipe usage, etc. I'm not saying they couldn't screw it up, but there's plenty of latitude to how you could balance the effort vs. benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TomR posted:

They should make a ship launched fighter that is only good for exploring. Make it able to super cruise 100x faster than normal.

Quaiche's Scavenger's Daughter

• Locked thread