Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
my favorite invade is when I get placed by cursed greatwood house as a purple, and the door is locked, and the host is sitting with 2 phantoms all the way by morne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only change I'd make to the invasion system as is would be to disable further phantom summons, except for Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades, when an invader hits. It's ridiculous how quickly people will leg it straight back to a bonfire and start spamming for all the phantoms they can get - why the gently caress are you even playing online at that point?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Your Computer posted:

Me too! I've only watched two videos so far but the guy seems pretty chill and thorough.

I made my comment after two videos as well and then in the third he spends nearly ten minutes searching for where to go in Firelink without closely examining the bowl in the center of the room. :j:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

NTT posted:

Can we have Dark Souls 1 remade in the DS3 engine please

I think they actually are on the same engine

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

The online features of the Souls series include messages, summons, bloodstains and the "ghosts" of other players, all of which are fun and harmless features that one might enjoy without enjoying invasions. The whole "well if you don't like invasions then play a different game noob" argument is so loving dumb.

They had a point but in the wrong way. You can opt out of PvP while still retaining all the online features by just going unembered. Hell, I'm not sure how the system works since I haven't used it but does the password system also lock out invaders not on the same password? There's plenty of ways to avoid being invaded if that's not your thing.

People are gonna argue back and forth on both sides of this thing but my main beef is when people decide to rub a dried finger all on their face and summon a bunch of phantoms for the express purpose of gang banging every single person that steps into their world. I suppose fun is a completely subjective thing but I can't imagine how completely one-sided gank fests are particularly thrilling for either party involved.

I don't remember nearly as much fuss being made in past Souls games about invasions where it wasn't nearly as lopsided at any rate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I loving love fist weapons, so please do all the research possible and publish it in a research paper. :allears:

well, there's this:

Babe Magnet posted:

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/356.webm

I still need to test this in pvp but if this is correct, backhand stronk

I haven't tested it on other players though. I haven't found a dude with a parrying shield yet today so it's rough. I seriously can't remember ever being parried while doing that in pvp though (only the L1 1-2), and I know tere's several times when I thought "Huh, that should have been parried."

I'll keep you updated.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

poptart_fairy posted:

The only change I'd make to the invasion system as is would be to disable further phantom summons, except for Blue Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades, when an invader hits. It's ridiculous how quickly people will leg it straight back to a bonfire and start spamming for all the phantoms they can get - why the gently caress are you even playing online at that point?

This can get pretty retarded even if it's just one phantom. I invaded a host and he had a buddy I'm assuming he was chatting with or something, either way neither were great, the host was a big coward and mostly let his friend try and fight me and occasionally try for cheeky hits. I end up killing his pal and since running away is so easy in this game, he just starts mad dashing around until in the most random spot he stops for like the half a second it takes to mash a sign and oh, his buddy is back. I killed that guy another two friggin times before the host eventually got too much momentum I guess and ended up running himself off a ledge.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hell, I'm not sure how the system works since I haven't used it but does the password system also lock out invaders not on the same password?

Nah, it just makes it much easier to single out your buddies for summoning and stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NTT posted:

Can we have Dark Souls 1 remade in the DS3 engine please

I like some parts of the engine, but the game has been getting too fast for my liking. Thing is Dark Souls wasn't hard at all, you just had to plan your moves. Basically everything could be parried.

What we got by people wanting a faster Dark Souls is Capra demons in every room.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I did capra demons literally with a bow

And to be honest the capra demon is sluggish compared to most ds3 enemies

DS1 being deliberate really is the thing; rolls cost 3 times the stamina in that game, so each one you made counts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah this is the only thing that needs to change fundamentally, and/or perhaps instead of the dried finger specifically opening you up to more invasions it should just be a hard rule that you can always be invaded by a number of reds = the number of summoned assistants you have. Blues wouldn't count against this, but it would make 3v1s less common.

Invaders being outnumbered is fine, fighting a 3v1 with reinforcements coming in isn't.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Capra demon is actually in DS3!

The first hallway in the demon ruins in smouldering lake is lined with dead ones

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

This can get pretty retarded even if it's just one phantom. I invaded a host and he had a buddy I'm assuming he was chatting with or something, either way neither were great, the host was a big coward and mostly let his friend try and fight me and occasionally try for cheeky hits. I end up killing his pal and since running away is so easy in this game, he just starts mad dashing around until in the most random spot he stops for like the half a second it takes to mash a sign and oh, his buddy is back. I killed that guy another two friggin times before the host eventually got too much momentum I guess and ended up running himself off a ledge.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah this is the only thing that needs to change fundamentally, and/or perhaps instead of the dried finger specifically opening you up to more invasions it should just be a hard rule that you can always be invaded by a number of reds = the number of summoned assistants you have. Blues wouldn't count against this, but it would make 3v1s less common.

Invaders being outnumbered is fine, fighting a 3v1 with reinforcements coming in isn't.

This is the sort of situation I find frustrating, yeah. It's too easy to just leg it and repeatedly summon back-up. Doesn't really help that if you do get the upper hand in that situation then nine times out of ten you'll get a sudden, mystical "connection error" cropping up.

I've slowly warmed up to PVP over the course of the franchise and the matchmaking here gets it nearly perfect. It's just the few flaws really goddamn stand out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Babe Magnet posted:

The Capra demon is actually in DS3!

The first hallway in the demon ruins in smouldering lake is lined with dead ones

The undead burg is lined with dead ones too :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NTT posted:

DS1 being deliberate really is the thing; rolls cost 3 times the stamina in that game, so each one you made counts.

Only reason you have to be deliberate now is if you press roll twice, you for sure are going to roll twice no matter what.

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
I'm kind of disappointed that there are no smaller one handed hammer looking weapons in DS3. They tend to be clubs or maces. The blacksmith hammer is technically one but I need something a little more ostentatious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Only reason you have to be deliberate now is if you press roll twice, you for sure are going to roll twice no matter what.

the button press queing or whatever you want to call it has gotten me hosed up sooooo many times.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NTT posted:

The undead burg is lined with dead ones too :colbert:

this threads about be lined with dead posters, bitch

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Babe Magnet posted:

this threads about be lined with dead posters, bitch

Gonna go give Taurus Demon another shot?

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2016

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Sooooo...
I healed the Dark Sigil after talking to Anri in the Church and not killing the pilgrim there. Her sign isn't showing up at Aldrich and I can't find her anywhere.

Where the heck is she at, or did I gently caress myself out of the everything?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Aztec posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that there are no smaller one handed hammer looking weapons in DS3. They tend to be clubs or maces. The blacksmith hammer is technically one but I need something a little more ostentatious.

I'm hoping they will finally add a Small lightning element hammer that shoots lightning bolts when you swing, and only drops off a unique named Blue NPC "invader". Naturally I would like it to be balanced, but if it is completely broken that's fine too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Melanion posted:

I made my comment after two videos as well and then in the third he spends nearly ten minutes searching for where to go in Firelink without closely examining the bowl in the center of the room. :j:

Wwwwwelp :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NTT posted:

Gonna go give Taurus Demon another shot?

u motherfuckre

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bdxbLVzhs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HnK416 posted:

Sooooo...
I healed the Dark Sigil after talking to Anri in the Church and not killing the pilgrim there. Her sign isn't showing up at Aldrich and I can't find her anywhere.

Where the heck is she at, or did I gently caress myself out of the everything?

Did you check in front of the big doors in that area, just up the stairs from the bonfire? She should have left one of those shiny twinkly stones by the summon sign.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Toady posted:

I don't think they care about balancing PvP because they don't intend for it to be a fair and equal mechanic. An invader is just a human-controlled element of the level intended to put embered players on edge unless they group up. You have things like the Aldritch Faithful hotspot, which is ridiculously stacked against embered players because it's supposed to be a hostile roadblock before the big Anor Londo revisit, and it makes sense that Aldritch worshippers would try to stop you. The PvP system is just a lore indulgence meant to throw more hostility at players, and you get some rewards for participating in it.

imo invasions were always supposed to be scumbags ambushing people and wasting them in unfair ways. the 'dueling' stuff strikes me a perversion of that.

but some aspects of pvp being unbalanced are just kind of an extension of pve being unbalanced. it's not like stuff like the dark sword and estoc don't roll over mobs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mMMJ3K__M

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

poptart_fairy posted:

Did you check in front of the big doors in that area, just up the stairs from the bonfire? She should have left one of those shiny twinkly stones by the summon sign.

Yup, no sign there. Did I have to summon her for anything before that?
Also I killed Yuria because she got mad at me when I healed the Sigil and I wanted her armor

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

scooby doo followed by old gross pope sex

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought there was a darkmoon patch? I leveled up to 100 and I still can't get summoned.

Fextralife is hosting a bluemoon event tonight. It officially starts in two hours but people claim to have started already. I rushed through to NG+ and I literally can't get a single darkmoon summon. I'm standing right where they say they all are, and nothing.

And in the two hours I've been waiting I farmed.... one ear from the silver knights.
Just 28 more to go! gently caress!

(Why are the network options so loving terribly written? "Cross-region play" "Allow or restrict cross-region matching." Your choices are "matchmaking on" or "matchmaking off". How about one of those loving options be "allow" or "restrict" so I know what the gently caress option I am choosing? None of these three pieces of information line up in any way shape or form. These are all different loving words, From?!?? )

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Yardbomb posted:

It's because duels 9 times out of 10 are actually gonna be you just getting summoned into an instant death, red signing is worse than it's ever been right now probably.

I've done a fair amount of red signing and this has never happened to me, where on earth are you finding these people?

I've also never run into a hacker though either (I play on PC), maybe I'm just blessed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I thought there was a darkmoon patch? I leveled up to 100 and I still can't get summoned.

The Darkmoon patch is regulation 1.06. I know it's out for PS4, not sure if it's out for PC.

But also, all it did was expand the summon range, pretty sure. If you're one of the people just literally never getting summoned, that's unlikely to make a difference. :smith:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turtlecrunch posted:

scooby doo followed by old gross pope sex
honestly chameleon is the funniest loving thing of all time and it has been ever since ds1 because, like

they just let you turn into props and move around, just slide around with no animation whatsoever. it's such a janky thing in any other game it would be something players stuck in with mods, or only in via debug or something. but it's just part of the game. be a pot and slide across the ground completely silently.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Harrow posted:

The Darkmoon patch is regulation 1.06. I know it's out for PS4, not sure if it's out for PC.

But also, all it did was expand the summon range, pretty sure. If you're one of the people just literally never getting summoned, that's unlikely to make a difference. :smith:

I made a low level character and got summoned once, to one blue moon invasion. Twice it tried but had a connection error once there. Once the weapon upgrade system was explained to me I could even get reliably invited to farron invasions. I went to NG+ and leveled up to try to get right in the middle of the new wave of PvP and nothing has changed. I'm real frustrated.

At high level it has never tried. Never even timed out. I feel like it's possible but I don't know what the gently caress else to do to help it along at this point. I can't say 'literally never' because under stupid circumstances I could get it to work. Sort of.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Interesting how i just got 2-shot by a guy with the dual-wield-katanas.
How do you get such damage output into them? The stats dont seem so overwhelming, C/C scaling and 208 base.
I have 25 vit and was wearing plate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Were their swords glowing red? might have been a luck/bleed build, which can be pretty scary when the gimmick works

also VERY PROMISING research for us caestus fiends. I might have discovered something preeeeeetty sexy.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The only time you'll get invaded while embered is if you summon people to help because of how this game's invasion "queue" is setup, and if you're summoning people before you get to the boss door you have bigger problems in the game than not wanting to fight invaders, like getting good enough at the game to kill normal Mobs without needing people holding your hands.

That's totally not true; I've embered up plenty of times to be spammed with invaders as soon as 5-10 secs after I popped it.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK8ngU1gmSw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is a good summary. I swear a good 3/4 of my co-op has been this.

e: when helping others. Strangely I've never had the problem when I'm the one summoning other people.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Idea to vastly improve chances of getting a fun invasion: make the giants seed stop invasions while active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like that idea but it also blocks friendly summons