Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

It always surprises me when Ted Danson appears in Saving Private Ryan

I forget he's in the movie every single time

He even gives the wise bartender vibe there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The_Hat posted:

Pave your lawn

I've worked my whole drat adult life to own a real house so when I look out my window I don't just see a slab of parking lot.

It's a pain in the rear end but it's worth it.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

I was gonna ask if you have many trees near your property, but you are living in California, so I suppose you don't need to worry about raking leaves in the winter. Or your ground heaving in random spots.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My dad hated watching kids movies so he would just let me watch whatever.

Ain't gonna want brave little toaster when you can watch predator.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The recent heat wave has killed my lawn super dead. I guess it looks pretty bad, but it saves me the effort of mowing it, means I'm not wasting water on a pointless vanity, and has helped my allergies get somewhat under control, so that's good. Still have to water the roses though; wouldn't be Portland without a few of them sprouting up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

I've worked my whole drat adult life to own a real house so when I look out my window I don't just see a slab of parking lot.

Desert landscape imo

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Lol if you don't have a Tool Time inspired souped up, zero-turn John Deere for mowing your 10 acres of lawn that you just pay your teenage nephew to mow anyway

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

moss garden imo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spoeank posted:

I mowed the lawn for the first time today.

In related news I'm putting my stupid house and its stupid green poo poo up for sale

I did it for the, let's see *whips out calculator* billionth time.

Mowing the lawn sucks. We're on a little under a half acre and our lawn is cut up into pieces because we have two driveways (one to the back, one to the front) with a little strip in between to connect them. The end result is that we really have like 6 sub-lawns. Also I have an electric mower and a ton of poo poo like lampposts and trees for the extension cord to catch on. Also ask me how many extension cords I've run over with my lawnmower. Also a cup holder on your push mower doesn't work because the beer jostles around and goes flat.

I love my first world problems.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Quiet Feet posted:

Also a cup holder on your push mower doesn't work because the beer jostles around and goes flat.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Quiet Feet posted:

Mowing the lawn sucks. We're on a little under a half acre and our lawn is cut up into pieces because we have two driveways (one to the back, one to the front) with a little strip in between to connect them. The end result is that we really have like 6 sub-lawns. Also I have an electric mower and a ton of poo poo like lampposts and trees for the extension cord to catch on. Also ask me how many extension cords I've run over with my lawnmower. Also a cup holder on your push mower doesn't work because the beer jostles around and goes flat.

Ugh electric mowers are awful and only good for like 10 square feet of grass, I cannot imagine doing it on half an acre are you insane??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The_Hat posted:

I was gonna ask if you have many trees near your property, but you are living in California, so I suppose you don't need to worry about raking leaves in the winter. Or your ground heaving in random spots.

I don't know why you would imagine California only has evergreen trees or something. As a California tree owner, I can assure you that they just dump their idiot dead leaves all year. Or maybe that's just my terrible Sycamore. I also have a big ornamental mulberry in the back that dumps huge piles of leaves every fall.

Frost heave is not a thing, yeah. We do have pretty much the entire state colonized by one enormous contiguous ant colony, does that count?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I live in the suburb of the city with the most trees per capita in the United States.

We got trees.

So many trees.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

My dad was the same way. Totally saw Terminator 2 in theaters at age 8.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FizFashizzle posted:

They both have similar body counts. I think toaster beats it out though.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

FizFashizzle posted:

moss garden imo

Yeah that's nice

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My house is a corner block with a concrete path that means I get to do four sets of edges with a line trimmer before I mow.

The secret to not having a lawn that sucks is to get the edging done correctly and to spend a bit of extra time once every three months making sure you get them perfect and doing them a little deeper.

Also get yourself a Honda mower. Some idiot online is always going to tell you an electric is fine or that something made by briggs and stratton is just as good. They're not. Honda mowers and line trimmers are easy to maintain and service yourself and their blade system is well designed when you have to sharpen the blades.

Other than that just aerate it with a an aerator from a hire place once a year and hit it with aome fertiliser just before seasonal rains and you'll have a green as gently caress lawn.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Its Rinaldo posted:

They both have similar body counts. I think toaster beats it out though.

I too have seen Major Payne

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Getting a house with a real yard in the fall. I'm heavily researching the miimo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

in shadow of mordor do i ever actually get to control people?

like make them an army for later

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

About halfway in you get the ability to mind control guys and the named orcs. The named orcs will fight for you or you can leave them as undercover agents and get them to be bodyguards for the warchiefs then order them to turn against their masters.

I think one of the things by the end is to have every warchief mind controlled.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Getting a house with a real yard in the fall. I'm heavily researching the miimo.

If you leave clippings even mulched on your lawn non stop youre gonna have a bad time

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BlindSite posted:

If you leave clippings even mulched on your lawn non stop youre gonna have a bad time

Everything I've read says that's a myth

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Everything I've read says that's a myth

Depends on your grass and on things like rainfall but my buddy is a greens keeping consultant. He gets paid to go round to golf courses and places like that and fix up gently caress ups and he told me its a real bad idea.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A bunch of the hardwood in my kitchen is bowing because the water inlet valve on my fridge was leaking.

Yay

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

BlindSite posted:

Depends on your grass and on things like rainfall but my buddy is a greens keeping consultant. He gets paid to go round to golf courses and places like that and fix up gently caress ups and he told me its a real bad idea.

I guess it might be different for manicured lawns with the stated goal of human aesthetics but from a natural ecology perspective leaving the grass clippings is great for the plants and soil. It mitigates moisture loss and returns nutrients to the soil.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
One of my buddies bought a house in Austin and was complaining about the price ($400k!!!). So I looked up his place and comparable properties in Seattle would be literally over 1.5 million. Likely a lot more because the Austin house is so big there's not really comparable properties in Seattle proper.

I knew that rent was crazy here but I'm accustomed to it, looking at housing prices in other places is bananas.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hi. Anyone with Netflix should watch "He Never Died".

It's an indie flick starring Henry Rollins and it's really quiet and visceral. It's got a really dry sense of humor and it is absolutely amazing and I think everyone here would like it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ehud posted:

you're supposed to force your kids to like whatever you like

*posts pic of idiot baby with yoda ears on*

THEY JUST LOVE STAR WARS!!

Me if I ever have kids
http://www.theonion.com/article/cool-dad-raising-daughter-on-media-that-will-put-h-26132

quote:

"Jean-Luc Godard, Stanley Kubrick, Billy Wilder—you simply need to know who these men are if you want to call yourself culturally literate," Campbell said of the three iconic directors whose creations could not have less utility to his daughter as she searches for a way to achieve a sense of belonging among her fellow middle-schoolers. "Sure, she makes a face when I don't let her see some ridiculous movie with CGI robots because it's John Sayles Night and we're watching The Secret Of Roan Inish instead. But I'm giving her a leg up, even if she doesn't know it."

"I absolutely realize where she's at in life," Campbell said regarding the 12-year-old girl who has seen The Wild Bunch. "I don't care if she likes boy bands, but there are plenty out there that have some artistic merit: the Monkees, the Beach Boys, the Jackson 5. Come on, each of those guys is cuter than the next, and they're slightly talented, at least. I'd even be okay with Peter Frampton if she were really adamant about it, especially his early stuff with Humble Pie."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

it's all about the succulents and a decent herb garden. Better for the environment and if you get it setup right a lot less work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris are seperating and my world is broken.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

Chris Pratt is one of those celebs everyone loves when he's kind of a dumb person. Their love, of course, was a facade.

I remember during a UW game I went to, during breaks the big screen showed a "which famous UW alumni am I?" And the clues were "I was in scary movie" and "I'm married to Chris Pratt." That's my Anna Faris story!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

swickles posted:

Isn't he pretty weirdly intense about the whole god thing?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Isn't he pretty weirdly intense about the whole god thing?

I don't follow celebrity gossip closely but this would be the first time I heard that.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

My dragon soap opera was v good tonight

Heavy on the dragon light on the soap opera

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

He could do better. :shrug:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think she has serious substance abuse problems??

She was drunk as gently caress on her HDTGM episode.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Spoeank posted:

My dragon soap opera was v good tonight

Heavy on the dragon light on the soap opera

Yeah it was a good episode.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think she has serious substance abuse problems??

She was drunk as gently caress on her HDTGM episode.

She didn't seem drunk to me, or at least anymore impaired than the rest of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Here's something sports related that's pretty amazing.
https://twitter.com/jonbir90/status/893947320554881024

• Locked thread