Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I dislike riding off into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Don't electric motors lose power and torque the faster they rev? I always understood it as a different power curve (albeit one that starts at 100% torque at 0rpm) meaning it too could benefit from gears.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Mickey Mouse is a scooter hooligan.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Don't electric motors lose power and torque the faster they rev? I always understood it as a different power curve (albeit one that starts at 100% torque at 0rpm) meaning it too could benefit from gears.

here's a real one:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=46210&sid=cc3b9ab41f67de52faf95aeee7790403

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 20, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why do the curves cross at around 1200 rpm?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Peak torque and HP aren't at the same RPM?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Looking about and I can't find it - what was that remake/concept bike someone posted in here within the last few months that had the really curvy tail light people were a bit divided on?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I remember hating the tail of the CB1100 but they did keep it true to the ugly-as-sin tail from the 80s.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
That's the fucker, thank you!

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

nsaP posted:

Why do the curves cross at around 1200 rpm?

(ft-lb * RPM) / 5,252 = horsepower
just as
(Nm * RPM) / 9,549 = kilowatts

So they don't cross as such, it's that the graph is presented that way. Power measured here is a function of torque by RPM. That electric motor creates its highest torque down low, the torque dies off as the RPM increases. Horsepower in that function increases until it hits a point where the torque has reduced enough the horsepower will follow the torque down from then on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Calculating_power

AncientTV posted:

Peak torque and HP aren't at the same RPM?

They usually aren't. I actually can't think of an example where I've ever seen that to be the case.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah that's what I was curious of, I didn't notice that the scales were so far off each other.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Threw on my 1pcs and went for a bit of a ride to break it in. Christ I feel like a cock off the bike when I'm in it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
How much longer are you stuck with the ZZR anyway?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I can upgrade whenever I want, I just need to get some time in a bigger bike before I take my QRide. Dad and I went out the other day and I was on his VF1000F-II, I'll probably upgrade in a month or two if I can find a bike by then.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Spiffness posted:

Everything you said is true but according to Z3n (who's room mate bought one) wheelies just aren't going to happen. I can confirm the fool is otherwise capable of pulling a wheelie.

This guy's got it worked out, but I don't know about pulling it off on the heavier Empulse model. Should have released the Engage first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VaVS5Jqrg

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My coworker said he knows these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRHcQlouzAQ

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are those DOT-certified turbans?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why couldn't that one guy smoke a cigarette? I like how they don't care about the brand of motorcycle at all, it's nice to see everything rumbling around harmoniously.

wait, I get it now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitions_in_Sikhism

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 20, 2013

Paidor
Nov 13, 2012

HNasty posted:

Today was the first warm day we've had in the DC area so I went for a ride with a fellow Duc bro. We met at the trendiest of coffee shops and then went home. Here are some pics for you peasants to enjoy.

I saw a sport classic with (I think) Zard mufflers last summer and the exhaust noise was plain deafening. How do you manage to ride that all day?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

HNasty posted:

Today was the first warm day we've had in the DC area so I went for a ride with a fellow Duc bro. We met at the trendiest of coffee shops and then went home. Here are some pics for you peasants to enjoy.

I've a friend who would literally kill for your bike HNasty. Great Sport Classic.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I misposted this earlier: Saw this out and about today. A Morgan I think?

He stalled on the hill then gunned it on takeoff. :haw:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Are those DOT-certified turbans?

No, but they are road-legal in the UK - Sikhs are specifically exempt from helmet laws. Interestingly if the turban is wrapped fairly loose and the wearers hair is in good condition the impact protection is actually equivalent to a CE-marked helmet (but doesn't cover enough of the head or give enough abrasion resistance to be granted CE approval) if it were a helmet.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

snail posted:

They usually aren't. I actually can't think of an example where I've ever seen that to be the case.

I was just presenting my answer as a question because I wasn't sure if that's what nsaP was asking about specifically.

I saw something the other day that confused me:

Aren't those resevoir socks meant to keep the bouncing fluid in the front brake from being a distraction? Or are they for leaks?
Either way, bike was dumb.

floridabike.jpg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

I was just presenting my answer as a question because I wasn't sure if that's what nsaP was asking about specifically.

I saw something the other day that confused me:

Aren't those resevoir socks meant to keep the bouncing fluid in the front brake from being a distraction?

Yes, but the stretched swingarm and 6 inch fork drop clearly says the owner doesnt care about the right way to do things

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta reduce that rake for all those tight curvy roads in Florida you know

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

AncientTV posted:

floridabike.jpg

What am I looking at here?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ADINSX posted:

What am I looking at here?
Front end slammed to reduce wheelies (for drag racing). Unless he limited suspension travel, that's going to put the fender crashing into the fairing at full bump.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The reservoir sock is used to protect the weak plastic of the reservoir from the sun. It's amusing that he covered the rear one (which doesn't need it) but ignored the front. I think he thinks it's a style thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It will be hilarious and/or tragic when it falls off and gets tangled up in the chain.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I seriously thought it was a hat hanging off of a helmet lock for a second.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Not into stunting but this is pretty cool.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I really hope he is playing a vaudeville version of Born to be Wild.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I can see how that was confusing, but those were two different bikes. Seeing stupid poo poo like that is a daily occurrence for me, so I just casually snap pictures whenever I see something especially dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh poo poo. Look what BMW just did to my future credit rating. 2014 R1200R

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Is that something that's an actual thing and not just a cool expo mock up? Because if it's a real thing I too will be throwing my cash at them!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Oh poo poo. Look what BMW just did to my future credit rating. 2014 R1200R

Is this real? Why does it have a conventional fork and a suspiciously ducati looking headlight?

edit: there's no way that's an actual production BMW bike when it has almost none of their styling cues, wavy front rotors, circular conventional headlight etc.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that an "artist's conception"? I am not seeing their new liquid cooled wet clutch downdraft engine, a telelever setup on the front, nor the cross-pipe or gigantic catalyzer that should be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
http://racingcafe.blogspot.com/2012/12/design-corner-bmw-r-1200-r-mystic-by.html

Courtesy Google Translate

quote:

Design Corner - Bmw "R 1200 R Mystic" by Petit Motorcycle Crčation
December 13, 2012
After the photos appeared on the network, I thought the presentation of the new BMW roadster had been scheduled for the show in Milan this year.
The 90 years of the German will fall in 2013 and apparently the leaders of the house of Monaco chose not to take up room and visibility to the many innovations that have made ​​for the upcoming season.

Nicolas Petit, a French designer who have already had the opportunity to meet at the Cafe, has produced a series of sketches that prefigure the arrival of this naked will not replace the R 1200 R, but will propose a variant minimalist and essential.
The bike, which most likely will be equipped with the current boxer raffeddato air, it will be equipped with the famous Telelever suspension.

In the first picture below, used by BMW to celebrate the anniversary of his most famous engine, you can see a figure not very different from the version of Petit.
The arrival of this twin seems to revive the glories of R100 Mystic, naked classic Bavarian house produced beginning in the 90s, who has not had widespread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!