Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I don't have them handy but probably the difference between EW and LW german uniform on the german side. Maybe also MG42s instead of 34s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
They didn't do a great job explaining it but also their previous army bundles are on sale for 25% off right now on their website during the KS. They have some cryptic way of decided what gets added next to the sale so if you don't see what you want check back later.

I would also be sure to print the test model they provide if you're on the fence. I've said it before in this thread but the dimensions they render infantry models really only lend themselves to 15mm. At least in my experience even attempting to go down to 10mm or up to 20mm looked weird. YMMV though, as No 1 Juicy Boi got some good results in blender shrinking their ancients down to 6mm.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

JcDent posted:

OK, what't he difference between this and the previous WW2 one?

The previous one was mainly focused on the Pacific Theater, with US Marines and IJA. They added in a bunch of other stuff as stretch goals (like Russians, British, Germans, Italians, I think some French Army, and even the Aussies), all of which they easily hit because WW2 is a very underserved market when it comes to 28mm 3D printable infantry. I got in on the Early Bird pledge for this one, and I'm pretty sure they'll hit all their stretch goals this time around, too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is it underserved? I feel like the majority of the patreons above were WW2 themed. Maybe they're newer, but I'm just salty as an ancients/Napoleonic player :) thank goodness for Henry Turner.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think it's more like everyone does the same things. Germans and US for Normandy, maybe Brits, if you're lucky some summer soviets. Having Italy, France and IJA in their first KS was brilliant and the winter stuff in this one is the real juice for me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Is it underserved? I feel like the majority of the patreons above were WW2 themed. Maybe they're newer, but I'm just salty as an ancients/Napoleonic player :) thank goodness for Henry Turner.

Admittedly I haven't looked at the Patreons previously mentioned, but in my experience, generally it's been tough to find 28mm WW2 infantry in the 3D printing world. There's a couple of creators I recall offhand (one Russian guy on Wargaming 3D has been doing some excellent work with 28mm WW2 Russians and Germans, and someone on cgtrader has 28mm US and German troops up for sale), but (anecdotal evidence and all) by and large if you searched for "28mm WW2" on Thingiverse or whatever you'd generally get tanks (and most of those were just upscaled versions of tanks originally designed to be printed for 15mm scale games) and not much in the way of infantry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That's valid, I think historicals by and large are rare on the STL scene, but getting more prevalent!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

That's valid, I think historicals by and large are rare on the STL scene, but getting more prevalent!

Honestly, you still see tons of people on Historicals boards shouting about the sin of *shudder* plastic miniatures and how they are only toys for children, while real men only play with lead Minifigs. So that historicals in general and non-WW2 in particular is underserved by the STL scene is not so strange. I saw one 3D printing youtube channel mentioning that if you're a good 3D modeller and not making 40K clones or pinup minis (or both), you're consciously setting out not to make money in the current environment. Like the number of patreons for those types of sculptors are orders of magnitutes higher.

As for napoleonics, Regementos de America/Napoleonic Virtual Museum are making some interesting stuff, for example STL files for regiments with mixed height, so that some items keep the same scale but the men end up shorter or taller. They're also starting to make guns in STL form, and I just hope they'll end up making caissons etc as well as fiting an entire battery with all the extra wagons is bloody murder if you buy it all in metal.

https://store.regimientosdeamerica.com/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

moths posted:

Underdressed Nazis fighting in rags and blankets would be a fantastic addition; For some reason, nobody seems to make freezing Germans in tatters.

The real reason Nazis hate snowflakes !

But seriously, a rags-n-tatters German force is unusual enough to appeal to my eccentric collecting nature.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

lilljonas posted:

I saw one 3D printing youtube channel mentioning that if you're a good 3D modeller and not making 40K clones or pinup minis (or both), you're consciously setting out not to make money in the current environment. Like the number of patreons for those types of sculptors are orders of magnitutes higher.

I’ve been wondering a bit about what demand there might be for things that just aren’t fulfilled, so nobody really ventures into them. Games workshop style has a huge share of the market so a lot of people currently into minis are obviously into it, but I know a lot of people that kind of loathe the aesthetic too and would surely be into something else/maybe would think about getting into minis if there was more of a presence of different stuff. I mean obviously starting out (and for ages after) it would be an uphill battle, but I wonder how much of the proxies/pinups thing is just people settling for the lowest common denominator in the current market.

Relatedly, maybe there would even be a market for non-war gaming minis? You could still do some neat things with formations, ranks and interactions in much the same way as war gaming but representing civilian stuff, like a solo-game where you manage Egyptian construction teams building a temple, or East Asian bureaucracy or something.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Prehistoric Settlement presumably has some fans. Gather resources to build your temple while a giant shark eats all your fisherfolk, it's basically the first part of Age of Empires as a miniatures game.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Koramei posted:

Relatedly, maybe there would even be a market for non-war gaming minis? You could still do some neat things with formations, ranks and interactions in much the same way as war gaming but representing civilian stuff, like a solo-game where you manage Egyptian construction teams building a temple, or East Asian bureaucracy or something.

That's pretty much... boardgames with painted meeples. There's a small, but existing, market for stuff like that. Like making 3D terrain for Settlers of Catan, or lovingly hand-painted meeples for Carcasonne and such. You'll see it a cons sometimes, someone taking a board game and then making a new 3D board with tons of nicely painted figures and stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wargaming's need for miniatures goes hand in hand with how tracking the exact location of things is important information for the function of the game.

We're seeing a cool drift from that with blinds and jump-off points, though.

Boardgames tend to emphasize variables other than where everyone is, so that's not as big of a deal and a grid or hex map offers enough granularity.

More than a boardgame using minis, It'd be interested to see a wargame effectively use theater of the mind combat.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

lilljonas posted:

That's pretty much... boardgames with painted meeples. There's a small, but existing, market for stuff like that. Like making 3D terrain for Settlers of Catan, or lovingly hand-painted meeples for Carcasonne and such. You'll see it a cons sometimes, someone taking a board game and then making a new 3D board with tons of nicely painted figures and stuff.

You're forgetting the blight that is Kickstarter stretch goals, which has ruined board games for years now. "We had a idea for a decent game, but we need to make it far more complicated by having two hundred unique miniatures that will come with it should we hit all $2 million of our stretch goals. Enjoy having a box the size of a couch on your shelf for a game you'll play twice a year!"

That being said, where is my Age of Empires tabletop wargame? Gotta move my builders around and steal sheep with horses!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Not to turn this into the "3D printing for the tabletop" thread (since there's already one of those), but I do think it's a pretty good indicator of how much interest there is in 3D printing stuff for historical wargaming by the fact that both of the previous March to Hell Kickstarters (both WW2 and Rome) did pretty well (and I believe their previous KS before those two was for American Revolution-era stuff), and the current second WW2 one they're doing seems to be on track to do very well indeed. So there's definitely a market for 3D printing tabletop wargame figures that aren't "generic fantasy fighter" or "40k knockoff" or "generic fantasy fighter/40k knockoff, but done in a pinup style" :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not to turn this into the "3D printing for the tabletop" thread (since there's already one of those), but I do think it's a pretty good indicator of how much interest there is in 3D printing stuff for historical wargaming by the fact that both of the previous March to Hell Kickstarters (both WW2 and Rome) did pretty well (and I believe their previous KS before those two was for American Revolution-era stuff), and the current second WW2 one they're doing seems to be on track to do very well indeed. So there's definitely a market for 3D printing tabletop wargame figures that aren't "generic fantasy fighter" or "40k knockoff" or "generic fantasy fighter/40k knockoff, but done in a pinup style" :v:

Oh there's definitely a market. I'm just saying that it's a much smaller market. So if you're just looking at making some side money, sculpting and selling historical STLs is not a bad idea. But if you want to be a professional full time 3D mini sculpter, you'd be mad not to make sci-fi and fantasy minis your primary thing.

I even saw that just within the fantasy market, the difference of how much monthly the top non-28mm sculpters are making is peanuts compared to what the 28mm sculpters are doing. So 6mm historicals is probably something that'll be reserved for passion projects for a while. I know some people who are doing 6mm traditional minis, and let's just say that even some of the major brands in 6mm are operating at a loss or barely scraping by.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Prehistoric Settlement presumably has some fans. Gather resources to build your temple while a giant shark eats all your fisherfolk, it's basically the first part of Age of Empires as a miniatures game.
You could reskin Cretecea to be this pretty easily I think.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

On the other hand, I’d contend that getting some basic interest in a Patreon is easier with historicals because of how little competition there is at the moment. I’m in a bunch of different 3D printing groups on Facebook and even amateur sculptors can pick up 30-50 Patreons their first month by offering something historical that no one else is doing.

The ceiling is probably much lower though on how far you can grow it, though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Class Warcraft posted:

On the other hand, I’d contend that getting some basic interest in a Patreon is easier with historicals because of how little competition there is at the moment. I’m in a bunch of different 3D printing groups on Facebook and even amateur sculptors can pick up 30-50 Patreons their first month by offering something historical that no one else is doing.

The ceiling is probably much lower though on how far you can grow it, though.

The one I'm surprised there isn't anything for is postwar/cold war stuff; Team Yankee, 7 Days, and a kind of resurgence in media interested in the period (especially in gaming) makes me feel like there should be a market for it, but AFAIK it's just the guy who did the armiesarmy stuff really going into it.

lilljonas posted:

Oh there's definitely a market. I'm just saying that it's a much smaller market. So if you're just looking at making some side money, sculpting and selling historical STLs is not a bad idea. But if you want to be a professional full time 3D mini sculpter, you'd be mad not to make sci-fi and fantasy minis your primary thing.

I even saw that just within the fantasy market, the difference of how much monthly the top non-28mm sculpters are making is peanuts compared to what the 28mm sculpters are doing. So 6mm historicals is probably something that'll be reserved for passion projects for a while. I know some people who are doing 6mm traditional minis, and let's just say that even some of the major brands in 6mm are operating at a loss or barely scraping by.

The market that always gets me is cyberpunk stuff. I get why fantasy stuff is popular (D&D/pathfinder, maybe a little AOS) and I get why grimdark sci fi is popular (40k), but the cyberpunk ones throw me. I'm told it's just exhibition painters.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

spectralent posted:

The one I'm surprised there isn't anything for is postwar/cold war stuff; Team Yankee, 7 Days, and a kind of resurgence in media interested in the period (especially in gaming) makes me feel like there should be a market for it, but AFAIK it's just the guy who did the armiesarmy stuff really going into it.

The market that always gets me is cyberpunk stuff. I get why fantasy stuff is popular (D&D/pathfinder, maybe a little AOS) and I get why grimdark sci fi is popular (40k), but the cyberpunk ones throw me. I'm told it's just exhibition painters.

If I had to guess it's because
A) Cyberpunk 2077 came out not that long ago
B) There are several newer Cyberpunk tabletop skirmish games + board games released over the last year
C) Cyberpunk owns

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Necromunda use too, plus Shadowrun gamers enjoy having cool minis.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

The guy who's running that Napoleonic KS has some Cold War Soviets as his next project I think. Not much detail on how expansive he plans on getting with it though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I follow this guy on Facebook who makes 3D models optimized for 6-15 mm, I've posted his medieval stuff before in the thread, and I'm looking at some of the sci-fi stuff he has as well and I'm kinda flirting with printing some off. It's here, but I'm not well acquainted with the rules available in this setting. Is there anything that is modular/freeform like Black Powder or other historicals that are model agnostic, modular and would utilize the various weapon options and poses that are modelled here? Or even something that I could adapt. I would love something Battletech-like, I just have no idea how customizable those types of rules are.

e: maybe better to ask in another thread since this is departing from my typical historical wargaming predilection, but I don't know where?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 13, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could pretty directly stat those up for Battletech if you wanted to. It'd take a little bit of work, but not that much really. They look to be kind of Tau/AdMech inspired too, so they might just directly work in Epic Armageddon either. Other option is to take a look in this thread for the rare poster who isn't here too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I guess with historical STLs you just have to bite the bullet; I doubt Joseon Korea will become that popular anytime soon to get you commercial releases, but if you can probably get a start on Patreon.

The most depressing 3D printing thing is the absolute deluge of stuff aimed at DnD. All that stuff for popular bad game, and everything looks generic as gently caress.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it is so depressing that people who make miniatures make miniatures for by far the most popular miniatures game :confuoot:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My epic ACW arrived:

(Cat for scale.)

I seriously cannot believe this box was less than $100USD. The rulebook is the smaller softcover, but nothing about this feels cheap.

It weighs about one healthy newborn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of want to get that at some point. It looks like a really nice set.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

I kind of want to get that at some point. It looks like a really nice cat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:hmmyes:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I really wish they had started the epic series with Napoleonics, or something other than ACW, I would be all in. Hopefully it sells well so they expand into other theaters I want to game in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
ACW is a great "war in a box" setting, with both sides having very similar equipment at that scale. Which is why I think they picked it. It lets them use the same sprues for both sides.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I took their customer survey a while ago and they were soliciting other black power era rules for the Epic treatment.

There's definitely interest in expanding the line, and I can see why. The scale looks really great with minimal sculpts, it includes one Sarissa terrain package. They could do that again for Waterloo, Rorke's Drift, or some random AWI farm.

Waterloo might be a bear with all the different uniforms, but otherwise keeping both factions on one sprue would cut costs.

:yeah:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ya, I can't knock it for an ideal entry point. Only 2 sides, same tech/weapons/tactics. Just not for me, lots of other conflicts will be great at that scale, so looking forward to see how well it does though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I didn't care about the ACW at all until I saw this box. The one and done nature of it was a real interest builder for me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah it is so depressing that people who make miniatures make miniatures for by far the most popular miniatures game :confuoot:

Imagine most of the board game STLs being for Monopoly

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Its amazing how much plastic you can get if youre not paying the GW tax

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

working mom posted:

Its amazing how much plastic you can get if youre not paying the GW tax

i miss the two year period when GW did tons of really good priced boxed sets.

edit: good priced for GW that is

JcDent
May 13, 2013

*cries in no plastic Horus Heresy starter*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Theres a rumour that theres going to be a new one apparently!