Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean in Austin today it’s not just a few folks - anyone who bought a house before like, 2000? is rich as poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huh, I guess I did go to a lot of house parties that had a fire in the backyard, I didn’t know we were doing a thing, I just figured it was because I had some crunchy friends that liked camping

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

* If there's been one true cultural shift I noticed in my 20 years in Austin, it was the disappearance of backyard fires as a social gathering. When the big drought of 2010-2015 hit, the city had to institute serious burn bans and actually enforce them. (Technically most of the backyard fires were never legal, but there would be easy loopholes. You could have one old, gross, unopened pack of hot dogs somewhere near the fire and if the neighbors were jerks and called the cops/fire department, you just had to point to those hot dogs and say "no officer, this is a cooking fire" and that was enough to make it legal.)

But during the big drought people had to stop having those fires since it was a legitimate safety issue. And all it took was a few years without them, years where a lot of new people moved to Austin and didn't get introduced to the backyard fire experience, for the whole tradition to just die off.

We literally grabbed a shovel and dug a firepit in a friend's backyard one time so that we could have a fire to hang out around during a party. That's really sad to me.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean in Austin today it’s not just a few folks - anyone who bought a house before like, 2000? is rich as poo poo now.

This is true, but if your house doubled in value so did all the other equivalent houses so in order to actually realize those gains you would have to sell your house and by a shittier house or move somewhere with cheaper real estate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

about a year ago i took a shovel, rubber mallet, and pile of bricks and dug out my own 2'x2'x2' pit. it owns, and i invite people over for smoked chicken/smores/popcorn a lot. i scope the neighborhood on monday mornings to see if anyone cut up a tree over the weekend, pack as much as i can in the trunk, then let it dry in the back yard for a few weeks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

One of my working theories on "Austin's Problem" is that the city grew up with absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.

how dare you, austin sponsors tens of thousands of philanthropic H1-B visas

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

LanceHunter posted:

One of my working theories on "Austin's Problem" is that the city grew up with absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.

There's plenty of truth to this post but from what I've seen, I think the real issue is that the city never really reconciled its segregated past, bestowing on itself the title of liberal bastion without having the real renaissance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

D-Pad posted:

This is true, but if your house doubled in value so did all the other equivalent houses so in order to actually realize those gains you would have to sell your house and by a shittier house or move somewhere with cheaper real estate.

You move north and go on Fixer Upper

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

D-Pad posted:

The folks who were smart/lucky enough to be able to get a rental property in the 90s are doing quite well. Surprisingly, this was within the reach of a lot of a lot of state government employees back then (especially if they were buying run-down places on the East Side). I know one guy who retired from the state and living better now off his rentals than he ever did when he was working. Then I've got another friend who is a semi-retired veterinarian who has one rental property right near downtown. She gets multiple calls a week from people trying to buy the house, but she's got this old hippie guy who is the long-term tenant and is trying to do right by him. She only charges him rent equal to the property tax on the place and has said that she's gonna wait until he's gone then she'll sell the place and make enough money to buy a nice-sized ranch out West.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There's plenty of truth to this post but from what I've seen, I think the real issue is that the city never really reconciled its segregated past, bestowing on itself the title of liberal bastion without having the real renaissance.

Yeah, Austin's racial politics is a whole other conversation and a major problem. Though as much as Dallas and Houston like to dunk on Austin for its segregation and racism, those problems exist in every city in Texas (the other cities just managed to build up enough white-flight suburbs to make the numbers within their city limits look less-bad).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, Austin's racial politics is a whole other conversation and a major problem. Though as much as Dallas and Houston like to dunk on Austin for its segregation and racism, those problems exist in every city in Texas (the other cities just managed to build up enough white-flight suburbs to make the numbers within their city limits look less-bad).

Anecdote vs data and all, but part of what gave Austin its reputation was the holier than thou condescension of being the enlightened liberal city in a state of racist hicks.

Meanwhile in other cities, Houston especially, you had this ugly simmering stew of forced cultural mixing as the city became more and more diverse over the decades. Then eventually things started jelling, obviously not perfectly, but in a way that really stamped it as its own multicultural identity and it had to do that by tackling its hosed up past. Again, not to say it did it fully or that there aren't still problems, but it feels like its done in a way that Austin never did and I'd wager never can until Austin has its own identity crisis.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"but our property values!" is the rallying cry of PMC liberals who are ok with the concept of minorities, just not in their neighborhoods

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

General Dog posted:

You move north and go on Fixer Upper

There was also that year the property brothers were in Austin :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One thing that stuck with me from the class I took in college on the economics of cities is that city living in America tends to be a transitory experience (or at least, living in the actual urban center as opposed to just being part of the wider metropolitan area). People go to the city earlier in their lives, and then by the time they've left the city, they've increased their earning potential from the experience of living in the city. I don't remember a lot of the details, and I suspect that more dense places like Europe are more culturally disposed towards long-term city living, but that's stuck with me.

It's one of the few points in favor of landlords, the fact that a lot of tenants may only be there temporarily while landlords will be the ones more disposed towards thinking about the long-term viability of the building. Of course, there's a lot of big assumptions there, and it doesn't validate a lot of other poo poo landlords do.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"but our property values!" is the rallying cry of PMC liberals who are ok with the concept of minorities, just not in their neighborhoods

If you staple ethnic diversity issues to income inequality, it simplifies discrimination, because America is much more comfortable about openly discriminating against the poor and doesn't even bother with the awkward obfuscation they do about racial issues.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think the point about Austin's racial issues is pretty important. I believe it was when I went to school there, but maybe a bit before, that it had the distinction - if accurate - of being the major city with the most PhDs per capita while also being the most segregated major city.

It really does remind me a lot of Northern California in that regard, where I'll be out with friends or people I know well in populated areas and I get to ask them - Democrats all - "So where are the black people?!" while they get all uncomfortable.

EDIT: I am currently commandeering the jukebox at a local barbecue joint to play Who's Gonna Build Your Wall by Tom Russell to rankle the 'necks. Just happens to be a great song! Heritage not hate y'all!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 28, 2020

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
At least it was extremely satisfying to see Travis county go for Bernie at least in the primary. Even if it is a sea of clueless white bougie fucks, there are the seeds here for something better.

I guess what I'm saying here is join Austin DSA, new goon project. :toot:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lmtnews/status/1266051458442694657?s=20

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I love Tex-Mex, but it is a disaster in terms of nutrition lolol. Here children, pour this bottle of oil down your throat, with some masa harina and bean sprinklings, then wash it down with a Dr. Pepper. On the plus side, you won't die of hunger, which is the immediate concern, and there's a dialysis center with an insulin dispensary next door that offers a 10% coupon for your meal here after every visit. Remember your friends at Taco Cabana!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sardonik posted:

At least it was extremely satisfying to see Travis county go for Bernie at least in the primary. Even if it is a sea of clueless white bougie fucks, there are the seeds here for something better.

Lubbock was going for Bernie until late into the night and it was the one time I was ever happy for being born there

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
So which is the best city in Texas?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Disnesquick posted:

We just got done with our last bullshit cycle on food so might as well move on to the next topic.

Houston.

But also it depends on what you want out of where you live.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If you gave me a choice Id take San Antonio or Houston in a heartbeat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Miller is rad and I was really sad when I moved out of Houston and found out it was pretty unique to the city.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

gently caress you buddy

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Dameius posted:

We just got done with our last bullshit cycle on food so might as well move on to the next topic.

Houston.

But also it depends on what you want out of where you live.

Yeah I did have that moment of self realization a second after I posted. I apologize for kicking the hornets' nest. My real gripe with Houston is that, in a sea of outrageously good food, the pizza here absolutely sucks. Places billed to me by family as the best are well below what I could get in a London pub.

Badger of Basra posted:

gently caress you buddy

It's a fair cop.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah that is kind of true of Italian in general. Its not that you can't find it, its just that it takes more effort than you'd have thought. Like Mexican food and Dallas, which blew my god drat mind.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Disnesquick posted:

San Antonio

I’ve never seen the mythical “good” parts of Houston and never will because I’m never going to have the free time to accommodate the traffic to get there.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 28, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

Yeah I did have that moment of self realization a second after I posted. I apologize for kicking the hornets' nest. My real gripe with Houston is that, in a sea of outrageously good food, the pizza here absolutely sucks. Places billed to me by family as the best are well below what I could get in a London pub.

It's a fair cop.

Pink’s, Russo’s, and Frank’s are... ok.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I also don't think I've ever wanted pizza and thought that I want exceptional quality pizza. Good enough and better than national chains has always been about right.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Disnesquick posted:

Alpine

edit: or Fort Worth

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 28, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Badger of Basra posted:

gently caress you buddy
Oh, did White Settlement finally change its name?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Grapevine

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

round rock

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lmao

Edit: the answer is Arlington. Pre-New stadiums.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Disnesquick posted:

The answer to this question is Uncertain.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

surely you jest good sir

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Dameius posted:

I also don't think I've ever wanted pizza and thought that I want exceptional quality pizza. Good enough and better than national chains has always been about right.

I'm not trying to toot a horn here because my hometown absolutely sucks and I love being here in Texas with my wife and kid but... I'm completely serious when I say that I can walk into a dingy pub full of weird old people and get a better pizza than Houston (I can't talk for the rest of the state because here is all I know, for now). It really baffled me at first because my in-laws we're raving about a place that was basically serving at the bottom end of back home. It's like this one strange void in the foodscape.

On the flipside, "Mexican" in London has made my wife cuss like a devil and leave after a single bite, in complete disgust.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hear the men of Johnson City are unusually well endowed and like to stand close to you in the urinals.

Disnesquick posted:

On the flipside, "Mexican" in London has made my wife cuss like a devil and leave after a single bite, in complete disgust.

Can confirm. Pub “nachos” in London were one of the worst things I’ve ever eaten. The so-called hot sauce was like a sweet ketchup.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 28, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sardonik posted:

lol - the white bougie fucks in Austin are the Bernie voters there.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Sab0921 posted:

lol - the white bougie fucks in Austin are the Bernie voters there.

More likely Warren voters and you know it. :colbert:

Either way though, it does hint at better things possible in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Disnesquick posted:

I'm not trying to toot a horn here because my hometown absolutely sucks and I love being here in Texas with my wife and kid but... I'm completely serious when I say that I can walk into a dingy pub full of weird old people and get a better pizza than Houston (I can't talk for the rest of the state because here is all I know, for now). It really baffled me at first because my in-laws we're raving about a place that was basically serving at the bottom end of back home. It's like this one strange void in the foodscape.

The thing I've noticed living and traveling a number of places around the world is that the best ethnic (are we still saying ethnic?) cuisines come from places with the most recently arrived immigrants, which isn't surprising, but isn't something that's often noted. Secondarily, and older restaurant-owning immigrants who did not arrive wealthy (though some are now) have relayed this to me, wealthy immigrants mostly don't open restaurants - or, if they do, it's after they're so wealthy that it's a more of a passion or community thing and they're not the people doing the cooking, etc. Obviously grain of salt on all that, but the takeaway is that Houston, for whatever reason, does not have a shitload of working class Italian immigrants these days who want to open restaurants. We happened to have a Sicilian immigrant who opened a pizza place in the town I grew up near, and hand tossed flying pizzas until his son took it over a decade or so ago, so those exist, and his was legit good, but even in immigrant cases, you also get the American Chinese thing, where they're cooking for the market demand, which means they cook real food at home and some fusion poo poo for the restaurant - similar to almost all Thai restaurants, sadly. We have some now-wealthy Italian and Greek families who have been here for generations, but they're making money for the most part at this point - the Mandolas, the Carrabbas (Rose, not the brand they sold to the chain), the Pappas family, Fertitta, the Demerises, etc.

Anyway, there are probably other legit Italian-run restaurants around Houston, but I couldn't name one. We have lots of Indian/Subcontinent recent immigrants, Lebanese, Chinese (now), Vietnamese, Khmer, Honduran, Mexican, blah blah etc immigrants, even Polish in League City and Singaporean in Sugar Land and Malaysian in Dickinson-ish and so on.

Among odd things I encountered in travels that I didn't expect that also prove out this theory, the Japanese in Detroit (Novi, really) is better than anything you'll have in the Bay Area, and you will be in a room full of Japanese nationals speaking Japanese in windbreakers with paper hanging signs and so on, because they're there for the auto industry. Lebanese around Detroit (not just Dearborn) is fantastic because of the community there. Vietnamese in Palacios, and not just The Point, the other places where the old auntie and uncle barely speak English. Korean, in Schaumburg, thanks to a large and vibrant first generation community there. Stuff like Cuban or Jamaican in/around Miami is about as surprising as Mexican in Houston or Armenian in Southern California, but there's Basque in Boise and, of all places, Winnemucca, leftover from earlier immigration, but in places where things don't change as much as big cities.

Also, and I have really wanted to try this, because Houston (Texas in general) is awful at Japanese, but there is what seems to be a possibly legit Japanese place in Fulton/Rockport (of all places) called Sushi Luck. If anyone has been there, trippo reporto, pleasu.

EDIT: Random trivia, I used to (a few times) sit and talk with Kenny of Kenny & Ziggy's in Houston at his restaurant on the riverside in Phnom Penh, where he lived for quite some time (I heard he left, dunno) which was called The Cadillac Bar & Grill, something he enjoyed since IP enforcement is non-existent. He ran the place for many years, and one of his tenants upstairs (many places rent rooms upstairs because you have to lease the entire shophouse) was Gottfrid from the Pirate Bay, who was arrested in the building after the Swedes, through a complex international deal coming from the US side, made a loan for a sports complex to the Cambodian government. He'd been living there openly for years and everyone knew, heh. It has very little to do with food other than the Houston connection to both Kenny & Ziggy's and Cadillac Bar, but it popped into my head.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 29, 2020