Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Soricidus posted:

lol

i work 11-7, except when i can't be bothered to get up that early and just work 12-8 instead

gently caress mornings

I use to work like that, but need to be in early for stand ups now and think I prefer it now my sleep pattern has adjusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I just remembered at my old job that before they moved to their current office they got a bunch of obnoxious big screen TVs with fire sale Logitech revues hooked up to them. After they moved to the current office they all sit in a pile in one unused side of the office.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatsujin posted:

I just remembered at my old job that before they moved to their current office they got a bunch of obnoxious big screen TVs with fire sale Logitech revues hooked up to them. After they moved to the current office they all sit in a pile in one unused side of the office.

send me one

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

jre posted:

I use to work like that, but need to be in early for stand ups now and think I prefer it now my sleep pattern has adjusted.

I used to get in like 6am at my last place when it was the only way to get a parking space, and it was kinda nice to leave work at 2pm ... but not that nice

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My coworker just came in to tell me that we're converting the Menlo Park Planning Dept's building into a completely open office. 80-something employees all forced to sit together at tables. Menlo Park is a Facebook company town for anyone who doesn't know.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Papercut posted:

My coworker just came in to tell me that we're converting the Menlo Park Planning Dept's building into a completely open office. 80-something employees all forced to sit together at tables. Menlo Park is a Facebook company town for anyone who doesn't know.

it's also the hometown of scientology

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

at my job they told me to start at 10 and work til 6 but I show up at 9 and leave at 5 so I can work on side projects at home. my lunch hour is part of my 8 hours. swag

my hat goes on at 5 and I'm fuckin gone, don't talk to me about work cos I already checked out

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know many places are going back to 8 hours including lunch in fear of obummer's impending overtime thing

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I take my lunch hour at the gym.

Talked to my boss about it like this:

'I'll often solve problems better after a work out, I'll work through lunch if I can take a gym break instead'.

works pretty good for me, gives me more energy for the afternoon and the away time helps me think,

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

body type: used up

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if i'm working after hours or on the weekend i hafta dial up a number in order to get the lights turned on

also the A/C - which costs the company $225/hr b/c it's for the entire floor

california

we had that same poo poo in the building I used to work in and they would occasionally shut off AC to the little server room oldjob had in there

eventually the management company installed an independent system for that room so they wouldn't have to deal with it

then the company was acquired and the new owners basically said "hey lets move all this poo poo to a real DC" lol

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Amazon.txt

http://pastebin.com/7RpXneAV

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i see you have bolded the funny and/or interesting parts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

Let's push that aside for a second and focus on the other aspect - Amazon's overall reputation. We don't have a stellar reputation across the board; I'd like to not see "Oh and Amazon doesn't even have bathrooms you can use." added to the list of issues.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

okay, so

it looks like some weirdos are fixating on meeting specific OSHA regulations about the numbe rof urinals, per floor, and wanting more because there are more men workers, and then something something?

context, man

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

i see you have bolded the funny and/or interesting parts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what's funny is that there's apparently people in several buildings who have to visit three or more floors of the building to find a toilet and the management has not only been aware of this for years but considers it a joke

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

oh, i thought it was the guy complaining about people phonin' while poopin'

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I skimmed the whole thing and they're talking about 2000-3000 people having to spend 20+ minutes a day trying to find a place to crap every single day

there's also a bunch of brilliant ideas like developing an app using sensors to tell employees when stalls are free

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Background: Amazon has 300+ employees per floor in "high density" seating arrangements, but only two bathroom stalls per floor. Some enterprising employees decided to cut a ticket

highlights:

quote:

***Amazon is in violation of OSHA 1910.141(c)(1)(i) in numerous buildings***

According to OSHA policy 1910.141(c)(1)(i), a facility needs to have at least 6 water closets (defined as a toilet or urinal) for every 150 employees of each gender. There are only 4 per floor which leads to unacceptable wait times and unsanitary conditions in the restrooms. Please confirm that there are fewer than 80 employees of each gender per floor to justify having 4 water closets per gender per floor, or reduce the amount of employees in the building to comply with OSHA policy.

1910.141(c)(1)(i)
Except as otherwise indicated in this paragraph (c)(1)(i), toilet facilities, in toilet rooms separate for each sex, shall be provided in all places of employment in accordance with table J-1 of this section. The number of facilities to be provided for each sex shall be based on the number of employees of that sex for whom the facilities are furnished. Where toilet rooms will be occupied by no more than one person at a time, can be locked from the inside, and contain at least one water closet, separate toilet rooms for each sex need not be provided. Where such single-occupancy rooms have more than one toilet facility, only one such facility in each toilet room shall be counted for the purpose of table J-1.
Number of employees Minimum number of water closets1
1 to 15 1
16 to 35 2
36 to 55 3
56 to 80 4
81 to 110 5
111 to 150 6
Over 150 (2)

Link to policy:
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9790

quote:

Now, we may well meet the minimum requirements if you count all of the conference room/meeting floors/reception area restrooms in a building. Thinking big on this, however, why is it that we are skating by on the bare minimum? How much money and productivity are we losing by forcing people to wander between floors to deal with necessary bodily functions?

quote:

In response to previous suggestions about using a device to reduce the time wasted looking for available stalls we would like to reveal T.O.I.L.E.T.: https://w.amazon.com/index.php/T.O.I.L.E.T .

We created this several weeks ago for the wireless hackday and now that we have presented it at the CE all-hands we are ready to reveal it to the rest of the company. We realize that this does not solve the capacity issues but we believe this can be used to reduce the amount of time wasted searching for available restrooms.

Since this ticket focuses on the actual bathroom capacity issues please use the aloha-REDACTED mailing list to discuss how we can continue developing T.O.I.L.E.T.

quote:

Contact info for the OSHA regional office: https://www.osha.gov/oshdir/r10.html

Employees currently walk multiple floors before finding a vacant restroom/stall. This causes employees to rely on adjacent restaurant's restrooms.

quote:

TOS has reviewed this ticket and the circumstances surrounding it and has cut COE https://coe.amazon.com/coes/53288 to REDACTED for this event.

This is an issue that has affected a large number of people at the company. Per Amazon's Standard Operating Procedure, an investigation should be launched into why this event occurred and how to prevent this from occurring in the future. The COE should be the take off and collection point for that investigation.

quote:

1. If Amazon knows that it has a significantly higher percentage of males vs. females in some buildings that house technology groups than can you tell us if it is designing buildings to accommodate the health needs of said workforce?

2. Given this is a potential health issue, wouldn't it be prudent to audit all Amazon buildings by floor, # of employees by gender, # of facilities, to determine how far from the OSHA standards we are? And maybe (as an interim solution) provide additional water closets in discreet locations?

Telling folks to wait 8 months (knowing we will still push towards high density seating when needed) is not a satisfactory response. Or another way to put it, if someone told you - that you had to walk up and down 5 floors to find an available bathroom EVERY time you had to go - wouldn't that be a problem? It would for me...

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i'll write the crapp

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I skimmed the whole thing and they're talking about 2000-3000 people having to spend 20+ minutes a day trying to find a place to crap every single day

this is some bullshit we have at my office except the toilets are always half working so the number adds up on paper not in practice

ive given to just taking a short walk to somewhere else since rest breaks are accounted for in our hours aside from normal breaks. talk about an easy productivity booster and a way to not look like the cheapest company ever

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
as a tech bro who has had to go on an open bathroom stall scavenger hunt, I feel their pain.

tech bubble: startup's employees are full of poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Killmaster posted:

Background: Amazon has 300+ employees per floor in "high density" seating arrangements, but only two bathroom stalls per floor. Some enterprising employees decided to cut a ticket

highlights:

you missed

quote:

# Get a list of all first names of all blue badge employees in Arizona. To use a different building change "SEA29 - Arizona" below to something else, to remove blue badge filter remove '/amznbadgecolorcode: F/' in the awk statement.

/usr/bin/ldapsearch -x -h ldap.amazon.com -p 389 -b "o=amazon.com" -s sub "amznlocdescr=SEA29 - Arizona" amznbadgecolorcode givenname | awk 'BEGIN {RS="\n\n"; FS="\n"; OFS=" "}; /amznbadgecolorcode: F/ { print $4; }' | awk '{print $2;}' > /tmp/arizona_names.txt
code:

================================
# Python script to determine gender

from gender_detector import GenderDetector
import sexmachine.detector
from collections import defaultdict

# You'll need these to run this successfully:
# pip install sexmachine
# pip install gender-detector

g1 = GenderDetector('us')
g2 = sexmachine.detector.Detector()

def genderize1(name):
    return g1.guess(name)

def genderize2(name):
    return g2.get_gender(name)

genders = defaultdict(lambda: 0)

try:
    while (True):
        name = raw_input()
        genders[genderize1(name)] += 1
except:
    pass

keys = sorted(genders.keys())
for g in keys:
    print "%s: %d" % (g, genders[g])
==============================
# Invocation:
</tmp/arizona_names.txt python genderize.py 

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Killmaster posted:

highlights:

I might just make this my canned response to the quarterly Amazon recruiting email until they gently caress off

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i'm the suggestion that a 60/40 gender ratio is so extreme that buildings should literally be reconfigured to have larger men's bathrooms to accommodate it, as opposed to just not putting 400 people per floor in a space probably designed for 150

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

i'm the suggestion that a 60/40 gender ratio is so extreme that buildings should literally be reconfigured to have larger men's bathrooms to accommodate it, as opposed to just not putting 400 people per floor in a space probably designed for 150

i'm the first post that points out that with a 50/50 gender ratio its still illegal

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just have toilet seats in the desks, no need to be shy since you're all working in same place seeing each other

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

though it might be equalizing wrt phone use, guys can use bathrooms like ten times faster than women, the ratio would have to be like 90/10 before you start instituting Capitol Hill bathroom policy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Killmaster posted:

highlights:

im a costanza style man and i just cant tolerate bad bathroom conditions. wait times, cleanliness, etc. amazon fail. epic fail.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
when i was in school the math building had bad bathrooms. remember them vividly. trashed all the time. who are these people? these loving monsters. these cretins. were they raised by wolves? pigs. scumbags. vile indecent hogs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe posted:

when i was in school the math building had bad bathrooms. remember them vividly. trashed all the time. who are these people? these loving monsters. these cretins. were they raised by wolves? pigs. scumbags. vile indecent hogs

gently caress em

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we must install cameras in the stalls to catch violators

if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well i guess a lot of them don't really have anything to hide really

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Smythe posted:

im a costanza style man and i just cant tolerate bad bathroom conditions. wait times, cleanliness, etc. amazon fail. epic fail.

George Costanza should've sold his app to Amazon instead of Madoff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pci_7o6cCbM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

staying late is a sign of weakness
showing up early is a sign of strength

this is not the way it's been perceived anywhere i've been. showing up early is worthless, because nobody is around to see it; staying late is what makes you a "hard worker" :smith:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

same problem in my office. The toilets are all enclosed cubicles and were supposed to be unisex but the female employees said gently caress that so they changed it before opening the building so for a floor that is like 80% male there are 10 toilets in total (half what the building was designed to have) and about 4 that are perma broken and the rest covered in piss. At any one time there's a roving crowd of people wandering the floor trying to find a free one it's bullshit.

unless you know where the hidden ones are that aren't signposted that is.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 28, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

same problem in my office. The toilets are all enclosed cubicles and were supposed to be unisex but the female employees said gently caress that so they changed it before opening the building so for a floor that is like 80% male there are 10 toilets in total (half what the building was designed to have) and about 4 that are perma broken and the rest covered in piss. At any one time there's a roving crowd of people wandering the floor trying to find a free one it's bullshit.

unless you know where the hidden ones are that aren't signposted that is.
but enough about your mouth

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/28/uber-algorithm-fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

• Locked thread