Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

I feel sorry for you guys who had bad weekends. My weekend in this game was fantastic. I ploughed through the Kaiser and much of the Konig. Both of those ships are good. The Kaiser might be the best BB at T4. It just dominates everything. The Konig is much more even with the NY and Kongo. I find that those German 12 inchers can easily pen the other BBs, but citadeling other BBs is extremely rare. Still, I got confederate three games in a row with it last night. Just a fun ship.

I think I'm in the minority here but I absolutely DESPISE the German BB's prior to Bayern. 39.29% W/R Koenig compared to 63.64% with the NY, 40.00% W/R with Kaiser compared to 55.17% with Wyoming, and 16.67% W/R (16 games) with Nassau compared to 56.25% with the SC.

The German armor is good, the maneuverability and turret rotations are friggn' awesome, but the guns, my god the guns are awful. I could always get to the fight, but the vast majority of my shots would end up splatting on the enemy belt armor. So many hits for ~1k damage, it works for the cruisers it sucks for the BBs; the accuracy is super nice though.

The Bayern is a different story though, the guns are still lack luster but if I can get inside of ~11 km, or outside of 14 km I feel like I can actually do some decent damage and I'm rocking a nice 61.11% w/r. I took my New Mex out to compare and I still think the NM>Bayern just for the increased pen and range, but the Bayern is definitely satisfying to play. I do miss the shottgun effect of the guns though, I'm having a hell of a time with Kiev's since they move so fast and can dodge my tight groups.

But then again, I'm also one of those guys who hates the Japanese BB's that aren't the Kongo or Amagi (and I'm not a huge fan of the Amagi).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ice Fist posted:

Just as fun: Deleting cruisers from halfway across the map in a battleship.

Whereas torpedoes are more 'Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo TURN YOU SLOW MOTHERFUCKER TURN GODDAMNIT no no no NO NO NO NO', a salvo of battleship guns is more like 'SURPRISE!! YOU'RE DEAD!'

Both are equally awesome.

Even more fun, firing a bunch of torps at a group of ships and watching them all run into each other trying to dodge them.

DD's have the same problem TDs did in WoT, where being a stealth rear end in a top hat that people can't see or do anything about is frustrating for them. If the players have a pulse and can occasionally press the A or D keys, super frustrating for the destroyer driver as well.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JacksLibido posted:

I think I'm in the minority here but I absolutely DESPISE the German BB's prior to Bayern. 39.29% W/R Koenig compared to 63.64% with the NY, 40.00% W/R with Kaiser compared to 55.17% with Wyoming, and 16.67% W/R (16 games) with Nassau compared to 56.25% with the SC.

The German armor is good, the maneuverability and turret rotations are friggn' awesome, but the guns, my god the guns are awful. I could always get to the fight, but the vast majority of my shots would end up splatting on the enemy belt armor. So many hits for ~1k damage, it works for the cruisers it sucks for the BBs; the accuracy is super nice though.

The Bayern is a different story though, the guns are still lack luster but if I can get inside of ~11 km, or outside of 14 km I feel like I can actually do some decent damage and I'm rocking a nice 61.11% w/r. I took my New Mex out to compare and I still think the NM>Bayern just for the increased pen and range, but the Bayern is definitely satisfying to play. I do miss the shottgun effect of the guns though, I'm having a hell of a time with Kiev's since they move so fast and can dodge my tight groups.

But then again, I'm also one of those guys who hates the Japanese BB's that aren't the Kongo or Amagi (and I'm not a huge fan of the Amagi).

That's all my BB's T4 and up sorted by average damage descending. It says all you need to know. I can understand just not liking a ship, but I think you're wrong about the guns: They are really really good for their tier.

One thing to note here: I didn't really *get* BB combat until I was pretty much mostly finished with the NY. If I could go back and play the Wyoming and NY over again from the beginning I bet I could do better, but I still think the hierarchy would be pretty much the same.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Tip for the Dunkerque. DO NOT SIT STILL. I have managed 2 Dunkerque kills in my Scharnhorst by simply charging them down and torping at 2km range. Bonus points if you can do it from the rear quarter or around an island, you don't even need to tank their terrible damage.

The thing goes 30 knots for a reason. :france:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

On the other hand the Dunk is the last ship in the game I'd want to do a death turn in.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
This ship is so ungodly OP as long as your team is only somewhat decent.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hammerstein posted:

I'm actually pretty tempted to get a Scharnhorst but I also rage-uninstalled (and since re-installed) the game within the last week so I don't think it's a very good investment for me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I know how that feels. During the last season I stopped caring about win rates and only focused on personal rating and my damage. I think the most important lesson was not to die anymore for the mistakes my team made.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm actually pretty tempted to get a Scharnhorst but I also rage-uninstalled (and since re-installed) the game within the last week so I don't think it's a very good investment for me.

It's out of the store at the moment.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Astroclassicist posted:

I've yet to find anything more satisfying then hiding behind an island and letting a battleship sweep slowly into 1k torp range.

How about a destroyer speeding into 1.8km range ? Had a Clemson do that this weekend. I launched at about 1.5 while crossing his T - he had no chance.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite BB moment is when the destroyer steaming at me full speed realizes I have disengaged with the other BB I was dueling with and my guns are slowly training on it.. if what I think is happening next is correct they should see the Incoming! alert and then *poof* they are vaporized if all goes well.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't know why I'm having this problem, but I cannot for the life of me kill Atlantas or citadel them. I have the problem across my Molotov, Warspite, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Nagato and on and on. What am I doing wrong?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't know why I'm having this problem, but I cannot for the life of me kill Atlantas or citadel them. I have the problem across my Molotov, Warspite, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, Nagato and on and on. What am I doing wrong?

Angering the dice gods.

Hitting an Atlanta at long range is a challenge, because they're DD-fast in the turns, but at short range they should be evaporating in a hail of citadels from those ships.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Minenfeld! posted:

Probably aiming too high. Atlanta is such a skinny ship that you'll just over pen unless you get a solid belt hit.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

That's all my BB's T4 and up sorted by average damage descending. It says all you need to know. I can understand just not liking a ship, but I think you're wrong about the guns: They are really really good for their tier.

One thing to note here: I didn't really *get* BB combat until I was pretty much mostly finished with the NY. If I could go back and play the Wyoming and NY over again from the beginning I bet I could do better, but I still think the hierarchy would be pretty much the same.

Mine, I didn't mean to post my stats as a dick measuring contest I play solo and really don't care about stats, I meant to show that I really don't like the early German BB's compared to the US ones. The US ones are much slower and less maneuverable, but their guns are just so much better when they hit.

PS, can you tell I hate Japanese BBs? And I stopped playing T8 because the meta shifts to something that is just super unfun as Amagi or NC.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

At short range the dispersion of the Dunkerque becomes criminally tight. That Mogami was simply deleted.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ouch that was painful to watch as it was to be on the receiving end I am sure.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JacksLibido posted:

Mine, I didn't mean to post my stats as a dick measuring contest I play solo and really don't care about stats, I meant to show that I really don't like the early German BB's compared to the US ones. The US ones are much slower and less maneuverable, but their guns are just so much better when they hit.

PS, can you tell I hate Japanese BBs? And I stopped playing T8 because the meta shifts to something that is just super unfun as Amagi or NC.

I didn't mean to have an epeen contest either. TBH I was just shocked it turned out this way. I never thought going into the German line that I'd be averaging more damage than higher tiered American BBs. I was actually really worried that the 12 inch guns would be woefully bad at tier 5 but their RoF is so high that you just poop all over people. It's honestly pretty unreal. But I can understand the preference for the bigger, harder hitting albeit slower RoF guns.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The early IJN BB's were a miserable slog for me.. Kawachi is the never ending nightmare. The Myogi was a tub of poo poo too.. not as bad as the Kawachi though. I forgot about that piece of poo poo.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 30, 2016

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I will now try botes and fail :)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

demonR6 posted:

The early IJN BB's were a miserable slog for me.. Kawachi is the never ending nightmare. The Myogi was a tub of poo poo too.. not as bad as the Kawachi though. I forgot about that piece of poo poo.

Kawachi is the only ship in the game that could miss a target directly next to its guns. I got in a brawl with mine and was within 2km of another Kawachi and we both missed each other firing a full broadside.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Protip i learned. You can depress your guns further by pointing down in 3rd person compared to snipe view.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If Cruisers get both hydro and radar, and you're halving the cooldown on radar, they might as well just un-nerf the IJN DDs. But we know they won't. The Minotaur is going to be more piling on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

quote:

-->U.S. fighter ammunition increased by 30%. This change will make fighters configurations stronger and shift the carriers struggle towards fighting shipmates and protecting their team.

:laffo: :laffo:

e: This actually is significant to the Saipan, but :lol: that ship did not need a loving buff after it stopped seeing Tier 8/9 carriers with regularity.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 30, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hammerstein posted:

I'm still getting the hang of it, but I love it so far. It handles like a cruiser, and the secondaries tend to make DDs keep their distance.

Downside: Getting tossed in T9 games.

I'm really not used to high tier play, since I take months off at a time and spread my play time over the trees way too much.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Ok the Bayern is loving amazing. I still miss the dependability of the NM guns, but holy poo poo when you can sneak a Bayern inside enemy lines you are a goddamned beast.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

e: This actually is significant to the Saipan, but :lol: that ship did not need a loving buff after it stopped seeing Tier 8/9 carriers with regularity.

I uhh wait what? The US planes already have more ammo than the IJN fighters. Are they just making IJN incapable of attaining air superiority at all? The air control aspect of CVs is buggy and frustrating, this isn't really a solution. I guess it just further emphasizes that the US CVs are meant to poo poo on IJN in air battles and then get shafted when it comes to doing damage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's a meaningless change. Ammo really does not factor into the air battle much except with the Saipan, and even then, not really.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

It actually literally can't see T8/9 CVs anymore, since T8+ games are limited to 1 CV. I can also kinda see it being handy for strike Essex/Midway, since you only get 1 fighter which means that extra ammo is useful for more strafes. But yeah lol what a pointless buff.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

If Cruisers get both hydro and radar, and you're halving the cooldown on radar, they might as well just un-nerf the IJN DDs. But we know they won't. The Minotaur is going to be more piling on.
Do you miss that ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0LmOsMXOsc

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Insert name here posted:

It actually literally can't see T8/9 CVs anymore, since T8+ games are limited to 1 CV.

Jesus, no wonder I hadn't seen one yet in my Hiryuu. Definitely never going any higher than T7 now.

Now I actually wish I had a Saipan. I saw a guy who ran 2/2/0 with a 15-point Air Supremacy captain yesterday, and man did he do damage. If he's guaranteed to never fight anything but Hiryuus, Rangers and the occasional Ryujo/Independence? That's OP as gently caress.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

Jesus, no wonder I hadn't seen one yet in my Hiryuu. Definitely never going any higher than T7 now.

Now I actually wish I had a Saipan. I saw a guy who ran 2/2/0 with a 15-point Air Supremacy captain yesterday, and man did he do damage. If he's guaranteed to never fight anything but Hiryuus, Rangers and the occasional Ryujo/Independence? That's OP as gently caress.
Yeah I'm p salty I didn't pick up the Saipan when it first dropped on NA (I hadn't come back to the game yet) while on the EU server it's been sold for dubloons.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn I had forgotten how fun DDs are. And Russian DDs are ultimate :frogin: mode. Had a blast running my Izyaslav or whatever today with Orangejuche and Moral Hazard. And learned how to dd which is always good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My nearly full hp Schors against a 7500hp Kutuzov, that I had just conned into exposing flat broadside to a nearly point blank Tirpitz. He popped smoke 5km away, I had to drive to 2km before he was spotted again despite shooting me, hit him twice with all 6 forward shells for 0 damage and a damaged torpedo rack and destroyed AA gun, then I sank. Good times.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Strange considering how paper thin the Soviet cruiser armor is.
I once did a multiple citadel devastating strike on a broadside Schors with my Chapayev.
Overall I don't like those ships much as I feel I can't influence the game with them. Sure I can do good damage against battleships but those can be repaired anyway,destroyer hunting is hard with the terrible concealment and manoeuvrability, especially with the Donskoi and its garbage guns.
I liked IJN more, yet stat wise those perform worse.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 30, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just came back and looked at the battle report, that Kutuzov went on to survive the battle, kill 2 ships, and take top xp on the winning team with 2k base. It seems like scoring those two citadels was the full extent of the Tirpitz's involvement in the battle.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Having reached the stock Mogami with range upgrade it's not as bad as I initially feared. It's all about abusing the excellent concealment and planning your engagements well in advance since you can't just turn around without losing a lot of damage potential. Also don't be in a position to make yourself an easy target since everyone hates you to death. If you can just spam your guns it's awesome though the amount of shells and fires is absolutely disgusting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Most of the Scharnhorsts I see produce garbage tier results, while most of the Dunkerques I see go top 5 xp and do a lot of heavy lifting in battle, this is contrary to all the youtubes I've seen

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

Having reached the stock Mogami with range upgrade it's not as bad as I initially feared. It's all about abusing the excellent concealment and planning your engagements well in advance since you can't just turn around without losing a lot of damage potential. Also don't be in a position to make yourself an easy target since everyone hates you to death. If you can just spam your guns it's awesome though the amount of shells and fires is absolutely disgusting.

Check out Flamu's recent video on the Mogami...the short of it is, stick to the A hull and 155mm guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

NTRabbit posted:

Most of the Scharnhorsts I see produce garbage tier results, while most of the Dunkerques I see go top 5 xp and do a lot of heavy lifting in battle, this is contrary to all the youtubes I've seen

Last week, I was getting anywhere between 3-5 kills and around 85-150K in damage a match with my Scharnhorst on average, it was awesome.

This past weekend and last night, I had maybe one really good game and a bunch of garbage tier games. Then I'd go play with the Colorado and start doing alright again. Not entirely sure why either :shrug: