Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tight-assed frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mordja posted:

Mazdamundi's the only princess I've got eyes for.

:sparkles:

dat rear end

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

where is this elf

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

where is this elf

Here be da elf

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shes lacking pupils

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Slacking in the pupils department

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Davincie posted:

shes lacking pupils

She's a princess, not a teacher

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mordja posted:

Mazdamundi's the only princess I've got eyes for.

:perfect:

Tap dat hot battletoad rear end.

Seriously, I don't know why they bothered modelling certain parts, he's not gonna get up from his chair anyway.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Angry Lobster posted:

:perfect:

Tap dat hot battletoad rear end.

Seriously, I don't know why they bothered modelling certain parts, he's not gonna get up from his chair anyway.

Rag dolls mechanics maybe.

And now I want to see a fat frog cartwheel through the air after being hit by one cannon ball too many.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Corrode posted:

High Elf princess concept art. Wimmin in my vidya games!!

Hasn't that always been a thing with both kinds of elves, though? I remember a friend telling me the TT models just had a random smattering of their basic mooks be women as well as men.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

shes lacking pupils

Must be related to Kerillian.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Night10194 posted:

Hasn't that always been a thing with both kinds of elves, though? I remember a friend telling me the TT models just had a random smattering of their basic mooks be women as well as men.

Yeah, their society has gender roles (ie exactly one King and one Queen are mandated and they have very different responsibilities that don't intersect) but their basic militia and presumably normal civilians are supposed to be egalitarian. I think nobles are allowed to cross the gender gap but it's seen as odd. Of course being a nerd company from the 80s, you can imagine that sometimes there was some creepy goon poo poo going on wrt elf women.

I wish CA wouldn't stick with the boob plate but I'm glad she's fully armored, and if anyone had sculpted, sexy cuirasses it'd be elves. I want an elf lord with roman-style male fetish armor complete with rockin pecs, nipples, and a six pack.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
How much you think the Morathi DLC is gonna cost :quagmire:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So Helfs are British people and Delfs are Americans? Is this just a goonterpretation or is this a thing that CA has been all about?

I ask because the patriot in me might force me to play Delfs first.

Panfilo posted:

How much you think the Morathi DLC is gonna cost :quagmire:

$6.90

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

noice

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Different Warhammer races have always been various British culture groups writ large. Dwarfs are northerners, high elves are really upper class rp types, orcs are rioting soccer fans, etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
:911: NAGG-A-ROTH NAGG-A-ROTH NAGG-A-ROTH!

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

prince, princess, they all wear skirts and suck balls anyway

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What British archetype are the Tomb Kings?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

What British archetype are the Tomb Kings?
Looted Egyptian relics.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Panfilo posted:

:911: NAGG-A-ROTH NAGG-A-ROTH NAGG-A-ROTH!

:confused:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jokes posted:

the patriot in me might force me to play Delfs first.

what is his name

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dark Elves are americans. Also canadians. They have slaves, they left the home country for questionable but understandable reasons, their navy is larger than everyone else's combined, they have more murders and weapons per capita than seems reasonable, and in the end the High Elves join up as state #51 :911:

The elves aren't nearly as obvious and derivative as most factions but picturing them as the UK and US fits and is fun and hilarious.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I don't now if it's what GW was actually going for, but earlier in the thread someone said high elves are the British empire as it perceived itself, and dark elves are the British empire as perceived by others.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I dont know posted:

I don't now if it's what GW was actually going for, but earlier in the thread someone said high elves are the British empire as it perceived itself, and dark elves are the British empire as perceived by others.

nah. DE are America as gently caress. No one stereotypes the British as violence and sex obsessed. Everyone thinks of the British as sexless uptight weiners who are obsessed with their former glory days (aka High Elves)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SickZip posted:

nah. DE are America as gently caress. No one stereotypes the British as violence and sex obsessed. Everyone thinks of the British as sexless uptight weiners who are obsessed with their former glory days (aka High Elves)

paedophiles and soccer hooligans is p british

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was a 9th edition and GW had gone full 'MERICA with the DE in it.

DE fluff sucked as is, it was just grim dark nonsense foe the most part. DE as a excess obsessed hyper competitive jingoistic America caricature would have made then somewhat coherent.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 2, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

paedophiles and soccer hooligans is p british

The British at their most unrestrained are still too restrained and if any faction has calamities and rent boys it's the High Elves.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You mean to tell me an annual murder festival punctuated by weekly murder festivals with intermittent murder festivals to break up the monotony of the daily murder festivals isn't a plausible basis for a seafaring small population of extraordinarily long-lived beings with probably really, really low birth rates that is locked in eternal war all around the world? Also they have low armor?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dark Elves don't actually have low birth rates, that's the High Elves. There are actually lots of Wood Elves and Dark Elves around because they don't live over the great vortex. It's a very sore point for the High Elves and the driving factor behind their colonial tendencies.

The other answer is that there are enough of each race as the plot demands.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The really pathetic thing about this stereotype is that the British Empire continued to own huge numbers of slaves even after the US broke off, it's just they weren't in England itself (the type of slaves people think of were normally used on plantations - and England isn't exactly a prime climate for those) but rather in their various colonies in the Caribbean, which makes it easy for modern Englishmen to pretend they didn't exist since there's no trace of that history around England.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wiegieman posted:

Dark Elves don't actually have low birth rates, that's the High Elves. There are actually lots of Wood Elves and Dark Elves around because they don't live over the great vortex. It's a very sore point for the High Elves and the driving factor behind their colonial tendencies.

The other answer is that there are enough of each race as the plot demands.

The DE society as described would require them breeding like Skaven and even if they could physically maintain it there's no coherent philosophy that would intellectually maintain it. You can dictate that it works via plot fiat but that's really boring and compelling, even a over the top setting like Warhammer needs a sense of vermisiltude to make it compelling

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SickZip posted:

sense of vermisiltude

HOUSE!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hordes of rat and lizard people make sense to me but the elf birth rates are totally unrealistic!!!!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I mean I imagine DE have a lot of rape babies going on in their society which would shore up their numbers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reproductive rights in Naggaroth are questionable in even the most liberal Black Arks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I guess it kind of makes sense in that all the Delfs just kind of acquire LOTS of slaves and use those slaves to stave off the murder festivals, etc. I mean, it's still dumb for their society to exist at all, but whatever.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I felt like playing around modding this and re downloaded the assembly kit. Am I missing something or is there still no variant editor? There's a map editor but it looks like you still have to make new unit models using text editing?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

oh boy I hope they ride side saddle

Me too. I love getting reported by giant babies for insisting that we talk about a video game in the thread about said video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I mean I imagine DE have a lot of rape babies going on in their society which would shore up their numbers.

Games › Total War: Warhammer - rape babies which would shore up their numbers

• Locked thread