Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Wild canvassers just knocking on doors asking who knows what of the occupants. Distributing flyers for whoever will provide them.

*woman sitting on a stoop, knees hugged tightly to her chest, with a glazed expression in her eyes.* "They came to my door. They asked if I had heard of him. They asked if I wanted to get involved. They as...*sobs*...they asked for my contact information!"

EDIT:

Ed Balls endorses Keith Ellison for the Raving Monster Loony Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, zous is a dumbass but hes definitely not in mock-forever-and-ever territory imo..

Now, Zoux, on the other hand...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hes 1% less favorable than bernie sanders, the most favored politician alive.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, zous is a dumbass but hes definitely not in mock-forever-and-ever territory imo..

i think it's mockworthy in the sense that he made posts like that and was still coddled and loved by folks here as someone who definitely has good opinions on race

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
zoux can be a real fuckin dumbass sometimes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zoux is extremely funny in hindsight

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

obama is really, really, really popular.

probably a bad idea to burn that bridge.

Yeah, ik pretty gently caress the establishment too, but Barack can be useful and good.

Also the other dude running for dnc chair seems alright

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

anime was right posted:

obama is really, really, really popular.

probably a bad idea to burn that bridge.
i think the thread will think much better of him if/when he starts promoting the progressives instead of give indications that he's paranoid about them loving up because they're going to lose the nonexistant reaganite vote

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

I still think the campaign was horribly mismanaged, HOWEVER:

CNN was airing trump rallies live and unedited for over a year, THE on;y way Hillary could even get a second of positive screentime was to mention trump or burn him somehow. The media were not interested at all in talking about policy or accomplishments, just loving emails. Obama had so much help sowing his change narrative as the first black president, but the media had already blown their load on that in the 08 primary, so they all just went to SCANDALWATCH THREAT LEVEL OMEGA. Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy

Trump actually hosted live events that were designed to draw media attention, Hillary didn't even bother to do press conferences for like a year, generally appeared at very small campaign events, and disappeared from the campaign trail for months at a time to attend fundraisers for wealthy donors. Much of this was deliberate according to people in the campaign, an attempt to let Trump do himself in by repeatedly sticking his foot in his mouth, which turned out to be a really dumb strategy. Trump successfully leveraged/manipulated the media, and Hillary absolutely failed to do so- that's a failure on her campaign's part, not a failure of the media to run a sufficient number of favorable wonk pieces praising her. Since she didn't go out of her way to generate positive news herself, when she did attract attention it was almost always because of outside events that (to the general public, who are all that matter) reflected badly on her, and she never developed an effective counter. The media's bias towards current events/news is not exactly a sudden shift that they made because they were in the tank for Trump.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gently caress yeah

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

i think it's mockworthy in the sense that he made posts like that and was still coddled and loved by folks here as someone who definitely has good opinions on race

also he defended that post by evoking intersectionality of all things

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

docbeard posted:

Hillary was definitely facing an uphill battle and should probably not have chosen to treat the campaign like a soap box derby race.

If the only way you can get coverage that isn't a fake scandal of yours is to only attack trump AND it makes your numbers go up, what are you gonna do? She was competing in a soapbox derby race because the media made it one

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

also he defended that post by evoking intersectionality of all things
i still don't understand why "intersectionality" never applied to poors in d&d

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hold big rallies for one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People are too hard on Zoux. I went into the d&d chat thread only once ever to call him mentally ill during the primary and nobody disagreed, so I was satisfied.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LGD posted:

Trump actually hosted live events that were designed to draw media attention, Hillary didn't even bother to do press conferences for like a year, generally appeared at very small campaign events, and disappeared from the campaign trail for months at a time to attend fundraisers for wealthy donors. Much of this was deliberate according to people in the campaign, an attempt to let Trump do himself in by repeatedly sticking his foot in his mouth, which turned out to be a really dumb strategy. Trump successfully leveraged/manipulated the media, and Hillary absolutely failed to do so- that's a failure on her campaign's part, not a failure of the media to run a sufficient number of favorable wonk pieces praising her. Since she didn't go out of her way to generate positive news herself, when she did attract attention it was almost always because of outside events that (to the general public, who are all that matter) reflected badly on her, and she never developed an effective counter. The media's bias towards current events/news is not exactly a sudden shift that they made because they were in the tank for Trump.

how would she have generated positive news?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I still think the campaign was horribly mismanaged, HOWEVER:

CNN was airing trump rallies live and unedited for over a year, THE on;y way Hillary could even get a second of positive screentime was to mention trump or burn him somehow. The media were not interested at all in talking about policy or accomplishments, just loving emails. Obama had so much help sowing his change narrative as the first black president, but the media had already blown their load on that in the 08 primary, so they all just went to SCANDALWATCH THREAT LEVEL OMEGA. Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy

Her Policy was poo poo, and her accomplishments were riding coattails.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
please, firends, let us not speak ill of the dead, even if they were zoux

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary probably should have slobbered all over the press outside of their editorial departments. Reaching out to Trump pool reporters or in general just trying to do Fluff pieces.

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Dec 14, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

paranoid randroid posted:

please, firends, let us not speak ill of the dead, even if they were zoux

then why are we constantly dissing on hillary clinton

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

gently caress yeah

Darryl Perry is my libertarian dreamboat

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

like if you think that obama should be marginalized in the party moving forward youre going to have to make a case to the vast majority of the rest of democratic voters

but i mean its not like people in this thread arent constantly betraying themselves as wannabe vanguardists who are scarcely less elitist than the establishment politicians they constantly rail against

Yeah. I am clearly the deranged on here.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i think the thread will think much better of him if/when he starts promoting the progressives instead of give indications that he's paranoid about them loving up because they're going to lose the nonexistant reaganite vote

Going by that recent retrospective he took part in, I'm gonna go with the "if" part of that statement.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah. I am clearly the deranged on here.

yep pretty much lol

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
we can keep obama on the team

just please please don't listen to him on legislative strategy lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the winds of the bulk of the party are changing, he of all people should be wise enough to at least hear them out

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Almost no media outlets even explained what the podesta emails were or where they came from, they just said MORE HILLARY EMAILS and everybody just assumed it was an extension of her being sneaky and untrustworthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcATG9Qy_A

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh wait, no, no I am not, I just checked and it turns out people can in fact disagree with randroid about things while remaining sane, and that accusation is actually a really weak defense of his arguments

Phew, dodged a bullet there, thought i was gonna have to be committed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the winds of the bulk of the party are changing, he of all people should be wise enough to at least hear them out

well i mean the dude is literally all about consensus building so im not sure where this idea that he would fling himself on progressive positions like theyre hand grenades is coming from, if hes working within the party

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

greatn posted:

Hold big rallies for one.

She only drew crowds with musical acts attached and I don't think Lady Gaga and Springsteen and Jay-Z and Beyonce were willing to do a 6 month free concert tour in her honor

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh wait, no, no I am not, I just checked and it turns out people can in fact disagree with randroid about things while remaining sane, and that accusation is actually a really weak defense of his arguments

Phew, dodged a bullet there, thought i was gonna have to be committed

you seem like a barrel of laughs

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

She only drew crowds with musical acts attached and I don't think Lady Gaga and Springsteen and Jay-Z and Beyonce were willing to do a 6 month free concert tour in her honor

such selfishness

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

well i mean the dude is literally all about consensus building so im not sure where this idea that he would fling himself on progressive positions like theyre hand grenades is coming from, if hes working within the party
well just about every major democratic advocacy group and most D house representatives and chuck schumer himself going for ellison, for starters

i'm not sure you can "reach across the aisle on this one" considering the other party is well beyond the loving pale

(unless you mean "taking the bullet to stay away from progressive ideals" by that phrase then carry on)

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Dec 14, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

I think people are attributing stuff like perez running to him when it's more likely the people in his WH who were "nervous" about ellison, not obama himself.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Eh, I look at UK Labour and I see what can happen when those same people don't listen.

EDIT: Gonna be fun when Justin Trudeau's unwillingness to try and achieve any of his campaign promises "somehow" gets people to vote for the Tories. Hell maybe Canada will surprise me and they'll vote in an NDP majority. Prime Minister Balgoon.

Aurubin has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Dec 14, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Atrocious Joe posted:

identity politics is a dumb phrase because the only people who don't think their politics are at least partly rooted in identity are libertarians who consider themselves ~~rational decesion makers~~

and libertarians are only libertarians because they're all privileged fuckbois so that's more identity based than most

If anything I think the phrase describes the "well I'm a conservative! (Which means _________)" politics.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fiction posted:

I think people are attributing stuff like perez running to him when it's more likely the people in his WH who were "nervous" about ellison, not obama himself.
this could be true and often i kind of wish he'd speak for himself about important matters like this more though

realpolitik habits are hard to break it seems

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this could be true and often i kind of wish he'd speak for himself about important matters like this more though

realpolitik habits are hard to break it seems

he is still the president and all. and he's obama. so

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

zoux can be a real fuckin dumbass sometimes

He was a great twitter aggregater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

well just about every major democratic advocacy group and most house representatives going for ellison, for starters

i'm not sure you can "reach across the aisle on this one" considering the other party is well beyond the loving pale

yeah great theres a disagreement about DNC leadership and the contest is between a guy who is good and a guy who is acceptable. its not like hes pushing Chuck Schumer or something. this is not really indicative of a guy who wants to drag the party backwards.

and once hes not president its not going to be his job to reach across the aisle and i presume hes not going to be doing a lot of outreach to conservatives, so why bother freaking out about that? he will probably be a moderate voice in the room, but its not like hes some iron-clad ideologue in any particular respect. if the party shifts, he will probably follow.

• Locked thread