Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At the end of the day, I don't give a poo poo. lovely drivers are going to be lovely drivers and barring getting them off the road (not going to happen) or getting them to be a better driver (also not going to happen) anything that keeps them from plowing into me is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Can anyone just give me a ballpark range of what is reasonable to pay to have my EJ22 rebuilt? I would be providing all parts, just need labor. Motor is already out of car and will be delivered as shortblock.

THanks!!

I really don't see a reason to split a subaru block unless it's a turbo one.

NA there are enough used/junkyard options that you can reshortblock a motor for 400-500 that includes new timing and headgaskets.

A factory brand new shortblock is 1800 so if you're paying that much you're going to get raped when you coulda got brandy new.

Most rebuilds knock right away, knock after 1000 miles, or are fine. I wouldn't really want to spend 1000 bucks and waste 10 or so hours to find out when you can get a crashed subaru shortblock from 150-500 and you know it ran fine. (my wagon has a 100 dollar shortblock and I sold the heads for 150)

As for your question, I guess around a thousand bucks to rebuild a shortblock? They never like being split though.

Amnomia posted:

What do you guys think of Subie CVTs? Outside of it not being manual.

Cat Terrorist will say they sodomized his family infront of him with a broom handle wrapped in barb wire.

I've driven both the first gen and second gen and the later ones are definitely better. Still a numb experience but fine for commuting if a bit lazy.

David Higgins was doing recce in a new CVT wrx and really enjoying it. I need to try one.

Honestly, just go test drive them and see if you can live with it or if it pisses you off to no end.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I don't get the hate. Like sure there are bad drivers but there are nice helpful things.

Like adaptive cruise control is nice. And rear cross traffic is amazing. Like all you can do now in a big legacy between two suvs is go real slow and just hope someone stops, 'cause you can't see them. What else can you do? Great feature I think.

The rest of the safety stuff is a crutch yeah but it might save your rear end on an off day when you're sick or something.

It's fun to make light of the guy in the infinity commercial since he needs like 6 different safety features in one 30 second spot, but those people are out there anyway and if the system stops them from rear ending me with my kid in the car, then they can buy it if they want. I won't stop them.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Amnomia posted:

As someone who has a 2013 Impreza with the first gen CVT sans paddle shifters and previously drove boring automatic Toyota's, I find the CVT serviceable but that's the best I can say about it. I don't mind the discrepancy between engine speed/noise and road speed when accelerating but the slow throttle response can be irritating when you're trying to accelerate quickly. It feels like it takes more than one second going deep on the accelerator before the engine opens up.

Still, it works well enough that I'll keep the car for another year or two. Hopefully by then, Subaru will have a new WRX wagon for sale.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Can anyone just give me a ballpark range of what is reasonable to pay to have my EJ22 rebuilt? I would be providing all parts, just need labor. Motor is already out of car and will be delivered as shortblock.

THanks!!

Disassembly, hot tanking, misc machining, clearancing, balancing, blueprinting, and reassembly can add up pretty quickly. Expect anywhere around 8-20hrs labor at your local shop rate, depending on what you choose to have done. What shape is it in?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bojanglesworth posted:

THanks!!

I got a quote for my EJ25 for $1800 from the same machine shop that did my old International engine (a really good shop with a great reputation). That was just for the short block.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Put the winter boots on today.

The wheels were just whatever Tire Rack had cheap, but I kinda like them. Makes it look even more like a Hot Wheels car. Probably would look better painted matte black though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Getting the paint ready for winter today, and goddamn I have never had a car that chipped so easily. One, maybe two, down to metal. I'm just glad the bumper is plastic.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 8, 2014

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

saint gerald posted:

Put the winter boots on today.

The wheels were just whatever Tire Rack had cheap, but I kinda like them. Makes it look even more like a Hot Wheels car. Probably would look better painted matte black though.

I just put my stock wheels on with those exact tires on my hawkeye wrx today too. Upstate NY. Felt like maybe it was too early but I've already taken frost off my windshield once. I thought they felt pretty comfy so no complaints in one day's drive.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Hollis Brown posted:

I just put my stock wheels on with those exact tires on my hawkeye wrx today too. Upstate NY. Felt like maybe it was too early but I've already taken frost off my windshield once. I thought they felt pretty comfy so no complaints in one day's drive.

I'm in southern WV, so I'm probably too early, but it looks as though we're going to get some cold mornings this week. I took them for a little spin this afternoon -- nothing above 40mph while the studs seat and the lube burns off, but they felt surprisingly good in the corners. I think I'm going to like them. Even the noise was not too bad over about 30, although they sound like a skeleton being thrown down the stairs below that.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is it time to post our winter setups?

Here's last year for me, same this year:

lovely Elbrus I02 wheels wrapped in Michelin X-Ice3's. I hate the way the silver contrasts with the white. Maybe I'll paint them next year.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Spent some time today re-flashing my buddy's 2003 WRX with OpenECU.

A note for all that try this:
You absolutely need to short the two flash block connection before you can even read the ECU. Lots of online posts suggest that this is only needed for writing the flash, but I can state that this is not the case. We spent an hour trying to read the ECU with no success before shorting the flash block. After shorting the flash block, it was still finicky about when you switched the car on versus starting the read process but it actually worked. It seems that this might be only applicable to the 2003.

Does anyone know of software that works with the Tactrix cable to just read the status of the OBD like a normal code reader? I have OpenECU and RomRaider, but I don't think they can tell you what the fault codes are.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I'm pretty sure you can use the tactrix gizmo with FreeSSM to read codes from the ECU/TCU. If not, a vag-com cable will work

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I accidentally bought this adapter but I needed one that is NPT threaded, not PT threaded.

I'll happily mail it to anyone who has a use for it.

quote:

This plug replaces the stock main oil galley plug with a threaded oil galley plug. The threads inside the plug will allow for fitment of 1/8" PT thread gauges. Makes installation of oil pressure/temperature gauges easy by just replacing one of three stock oil galley locations.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So I apparently managed to gently caress up my front bumper last night on my '13 wrx. Enough so that it definitely needs replacing. How difficult is it to swap a bumper? Are there any good aftermarket options that dont cost $rape? Quick google search is showing me $2-300 for an oe replacement, id definitely like to stay around that price.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Can you remove ~12 push clips and unbolt two bolts? I'm not even 100% sure if you need to remove those bolts.

For that price, you might be able to find a painted bumper at a salvage yard.

That's the fourth incident of bumper damage I've heard of this week. Stop hitting things. :stare:

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Managed to find a diy for removal and it looks super easy. The bumper was already cracked and last night kinda jus finished the job. There seems to be an excessive amount of debris on nj highwats lately. I dont know of many junk yards nearby, Ill have to make some calls.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

TheFargate posted:

Managed to find a diy for removal and it looks super easy. The bumper was already cracked and last night kinda jus finished the job. There seems to be an excessive amount of debris on nj highwats lately. I dont know of many junk yards nearby, Ill have to make some calls.

I have never seen anything at the you pull its.

car-parts.com is what I'd check if I wanted an OEM color match replacement right away.

Or just take it off and ziptie stitch it and then order a skidplate :getin:

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Thought of zipetie stitching but its right under the fog light and in 3 sections atm. Found a few local junkyards Im goin to call in the morning. Though I may use getting a new bumper painted as an excuse to get some nasty rock chips cleaned up lol.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Give the guys at oakleafautosalvage a call, if you can't find anything local; they're listed on the bookface and ebay under the same name. I've found them to be pretty consistent with getting in newer cars for parts.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McSpatula posted:

That's the fourth incident of bumper damage I've heard of this week. Stop hitting things. :stare:
That's only because I haven't posted about my bumpers yet.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheFargate posted:

I was on the turnpike a few weeks ago and I'm glad it was a parking lot because the amount of rocks, rubber and general detritus all over the road was incredible.

Any northeast american highway is going to be a mess in the winter but that was really something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What happened to subaru? We used to laugh at audis for having shattered bumpers all the time. My 05 legacy bumper has hit plenty of poo poo and is none the worse for wear (except the lovely paint).

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Rt 80 has been a disaster lately, hopefully itll snow enough this year everything will just get buried. I found a company on ebay that paints oe bumpers whatever factory color you want and send you the bumper. I didnt see one for a '13 wrx so I emailed them and theyll be sending me details tomorrow. They have a 2011 bumper listed for $290 plus shipping so hopefully itll be a similar price.

E: fun fact, duct tape blends in quite well with ism

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 9, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Re: NJ roads - I'm pretty sure trucks drive up and down rt 55 every night spreading gravel as part of some diabolically purposed program of sorts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

What happened to subaru? We used to laugh at audis for having shattered bumpers all the time. My 05 legacy bumper has hit plenty of poo poo and is none the worse for wear (except the lovely paint).

For whatever reason, past about '08 the Impreza just has fragile little bumpers. I got hit by an STI bumper vent once when it smacked a cone in the middle of summer.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ZincBoy posted:

Spent some time today re-flashing my buddy's 2003 WRX with OpenECU.

A note for all that try this:
You absolutely need to short the two flash block connection before you can even read the ECU. Lots of online posts suggest that this is only needed for writing the flash, but I can state that this is not the case. We spent an hour trying to read the ECU with no success before shorting the flash block. After shorting the flash block, it was still finicky about when you switched the car on versus starting the read process but it actually worked. It seems that this might be only applicable to the 2003.

Does anyone know of software that works with the Tactrix cable to just read the status of the OBD like a normal code reader? I have OpenECU and RomRaider, but I don't think they can tell you what the fault codes are.

I've used Learningview (link) on my 2006 wrx. It's my go to tool to check the ECU IAM and fine learning knock table, and it also shows ODB codes. What map did you flash?

edit: also i'm pretty sure you're right that 2003-2005 needs the connector to do anything.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 9, 2014

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Trying to track down a fluid leak that isn't water on the rear passenger side of my ej255 block. I first noticed it when I'd see a couple small puffs of smoke while at a stop. I initially thought it was my 25g turbo's oil feed line, but everything appeared fine when I pulled my tmic/fuel lines to drain fuel for a swap earlier tonight. Power steering fluid and oil consumption seem normal.

What are the usual trouble spots that I should look at when I go under there? I'm hoping it's just a weeping turbo oil drain line. :ohdear:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You sure it's not coolant? Can you describe the smell? It's usually not too hard to figure out what he mystery burning fluid is by just what it smells like.

If you're thinking it's not coolant due to the puffs of smoke, I can guarantee that coolant does indeed love to smoke as it burns off. Lower hose to the reservoir is a common spot for a leak, otherwise just take a look and see if you can identify the fluid. A few drops might be enough to smoke without significantly affecting fluid levels so don't rule those out just for that reason.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Re: winterchat; any reason I should get alloys over steelies?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amnomia posted:

They sodomised the neighbour's dog with barbed wire and a broom handle. Every single one deserves to be melted in the sun.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blk posted:

Re: winterchat; any reason I should get alloys over steelies?

Used OEM Subaru wheels are the right offset and centerbore and are cheap and easy to find.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Hollis Brown posted:

I've used Learningview (link) on my 2006 wrx. It's my go to tool to check the ECU IAM and fine learning knock table, and it also shows ODB codes. What map did you flash?

edit: also i'm pretty sure you're right that 2003-2005 needs the connector to do anything.

Excellent. I will give that a try. I am trying to keep to one cable just on principle.

Yes, we found sites that specifically stated that you only need the connector shorted for writing the ROM. Lots of misinformation out there.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Any suggestions on fuel additives that remove water from the fuel system? My wife filled up at a station when the tanker was filling the underground tanks and ever since then the engine is intermittently throwing knock sensor codes. Before I let the dealership try to tear the engine apart to replace the knock sensor I'd like to eliminate the possibility of water in the fuel system.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Gave oakleaf a call and they didnt have anything. Dude on the phone was super cool and gave me a lead on a bumper cover in pa. They have a ism one but it has several big cracks, waiting on pictures from them. Thanks for suggesting them!

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
edit: ^ hope it works out!

If you know that you have a bad tank, depending on the severity, you might as well just drain it, rather than risk leaning out. Most of the water removers are just ethanol/meth mix in a bottle that may do the job of enrichening things, but there are no promises.

The additives are all roughly made the same way, pick a brand that'll put your mind at ease, redline, cyc, valvoline, etc.

Bajaha posted:

You sure it's not coolant? Can you describe the smell? It's usually not too hard to figure out what he mystery burning fluid is by just what it smells like.

If you're thinking it's not coolant due to the puffs of smoke, I can guarantee that coolant does indeed love to smoke as it burns off. Lower hose to the reservoir is a common spot for a leak, otherwise just take a look and see if you can identify the fluid. A few drops might be enough to smoke without significantly affecting fluid levels so don't rule those out just for that reason.

It smells like oil burning oil/plastic, definitely not sweet at all.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 10, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just installed a new mishimoto radiator on my 2002 wrx, which was apparently still on the original radiator (non updated design) until it broke at 174k miles.

Anyway I took it out to shake it down and it seemed OK so far but I had the heat on full blast at a stoplight and the air went cold, but then returned to hot once I got moving again. Five minutes later I'm almost home and the gauge is nearly at the hot mark so I limped it home.

Here's a gallery of pics of the installation:
http://imgur.com/a/229b8

As far as I can tell the "updated" wrx radiator has a cap and an extra line that runs from the cap and tees into the overflow line. My car never had this version and so mishimoto recommend that I plug the line at the cap.

Is it overheating due to air bubbles in the system?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 10, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
First, check if you're just low on coolant in the overflow tank.

How did you bleed the coolant of bubbles when you filled it? These cars can be a bit of a bitch to fill properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best way I found to do the coolant on these cars is keep filling at the turbo and then massage the upper radiator hose to get it to suck down coolant into the radiator and burp as many bubbles out.

Then, leave the cap off at the turbo fill point and start the car up and let it warm up. Keep it topped off there and eventually the thermostat will open and you'll see a big burp and refill. Then turn the car off and put the cap back on.

I've used that method several times in my various cooling system adventures and it always seems to get things bubble free first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Used OEM Subaru wheels are the right offset and centerbore and are cheap and easy to find.

I'm looking into getting winters this year on my 13 STI. I live in California so I'm hoping my offering of winter tires to the snow gods will bring snow this year to Tahoe. Should I look to downsize from the 8.5" stock? I found a couple sets of oem STI wheels for around $400 but I'm not sure if I should look for thinner for winter.