Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
We had an rear end in a top hat customer at an old job who would yell and scream his way into a free upgrade every time there was a new release. It was like clockwork, as soon as there was a new release he was on the phone complaining about his software and just being ugly to everyone. But the problem took care of itself. After the fourth time of this he got a brand new release right after it came out, and that release sucked. With my company at the time, you never install things right after they come out. He was just used to getting what he wanted when he wanted it. There were so many problems from that release that his company fired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sheep posted:

Solution is in the thread title: you need to yell more. Your lack of erratic outbursts shows your inability to participate in the company culture and be a team player who really cares the company.

In my experience, people are allowed to act completely crazy and lovely to you, but if you respond in kind in any way suddenly they have rules and decorum.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Finster Dexter posted:

I've never worked anywhere without an idiot manager.

Fixed that for you.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Yesterday, get a support request from a customer.

Starts off normal.

Then goes to ALL CAPS mid-sentence.

Starts complaining about how we're off for Thanksgiving and won't get back to him. Ranting on for paragraphs.

Then he fixes his own problem and ends with what I can only assume is sarcastic: HAVE A NICE THANKS GIVING

I reply, apologize and tell him we'll look into what caused the problem. My response was within 19 minutes of his initial request.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gounads posted:

I reply, apologize and tell him we'll look into what caused the problem. My response was within 19 minutes of his initial request.

Never apologize when responding to customers / clients. It vindicates their insanity. Especially in this case when it's not your fault in the slightest that his expectations are in the stratosphere.

The only appropriate time to apologize is if you actively hosed something up, and even then only if the fuckup is irreparable. Even missing an SLA should be responded to by assuring that you're on the issue and resolution will be prioritized.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My director is wondering where everyone is.

It's the day after Thanksgiving, it's a day off.

Well, the company doesn't consider this a day off.

That's nice, it's a day off.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Never apologize when responding to customers / clients. It vindicates their insanity. Especially in this case when it's not your fault in the slightest that his expectations are in the stratosphere.

The only appropriate time to apologize is if you actively hosed something up, and even then only if the fuckup is irreparable. Even missing an SLA should be responded to by assuring that you're on the issue and resolution will be prioritized.

The original problem he encountered was our fault. I have no problem apologizing for that. A simple "Sorry for any trouble." can go a long way. This guy doesn't have a history of being an rear end.

Now, I have had customers that regularly came up with asinine things, they get different treatment.

One time, I had a guy on a piddly $18/month plan that was a royal pain in the rear end. He threatened to end his account. So I canceled it for him pretending that I misunderstood what he said and thought he asked to have it canceled. He re-subscribed but was a lot easier to deal with from then on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My director is wondering where everyone is.

It's the day after Thanksgiving, it's a day off.

Well, the company doesn't consider this a day off.

That's nice, it's a day off.

I actually walked all the way to work and found out the office is closed today. I hadn't put it on my calendar as a holiday. Whoops!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
There's only one other person here (in IT) besides me that isn't hourly frontline support. I'm getting paid to sit and watch Netflix and will probably leave a few hours early. Pretty good day so far.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
All you folks that work in data centers all day, I hope you're wearing hearing protection.

I was in our DC for about 2 hours, and my tinnitus was stupid after just 45 mins. Luckily I had hearing protection with me (I ride motorcycles a lot)

In other news, since most devs are done, I got a shitload done today. I was able to sneak a couple of changes in, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I actually walked all the way to work and found out the office is closed today. I hadn't put it on my calendar as a holiday. Whoops!

Done that before. Except in my case it was a train downtown and then I sat at my desk going through email until about an hour later I poked my head out of my office wondering where the hell everyone was.

To be fair, I'm typically the first one in (not because of dedication, because that means I leave around 2:30 every day), but the light commute on the train should have triggered the Spidey Sense.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

nitrogen posted:

All you folks that work in data centers all day, I hope you're wearing hearing protection.

I was in our DC for about 2 hours, and my tinnitus was stupid after just 45 mins. Luckily I had hearing protection with me (I ride motorcycles a lot)

In other news, since most devs are done, I got a shitload done today. I was able to sneak a couple of changes in, too.

All of our DC's have a packs of disposable foam earplugs by every door so here at least there's no excuse for not using them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

We have two pairs of Peltor ear protectors hanging on the door of the DC. I've been wanting to replace at least one of them with a set of protectors that can be connected to a phone.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

poo poo not pissing me off:

Got into work a little before noon. Boss, DBA and I went out for lunch and got a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout each. I drank mine at my desk; boss decided to keep his for later and just drank Jameson on the rocks while we did the smallest amount of maintenance possible to keep basic services up.

I love this team.

nitrogen posted:

Filing this away under "things to do next time I visit our DC." Thanks for the tip.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I was leading up our APC team today while the senior guys took off, although to be completely honest I usually work the day after Thanksgiving anyways so it wasn't a big deal for me. Anyways, the day is going along swimmingly until one of the new guys decides he's going to investigate one of the alerts in vSphere about a CMOS battery with low-voltage. At 4:30pm. On Friday. After ignoring it the whole day. When it's just me left. Whatever he did managed to lock the VM hosting our vCenter server, and the next thing I know I've got a Messaging guy asking me if something is wrong with vCenter, because the guys at Langley can't access it.

I look over at my instance of vCenter and don't see anything unusual, but when I try to clear an alert it completely locks up. After calling our Team Lead he finally manages to give me the host that the VM is supposed to be on, but when I KVM into it the vCenter VM isn't on it. Normally not a problem, but I really didn't want to have to log into 90 or so hosts to try and find it. Fortunately I was able to log into the right host after 4 tries and reboot the VM using the vSphere client.

While I'm waiting the 20 minutes it usually takes for vCenter to come back I've got the guys at Langley crawling up my rear end about the vCenter server being down, but they finally quiet down when I tell them it's coming up, and them bitching at me isn't going to make it come back any faster. Fortunately all's well that ends well. But next time I'm telling the new guys to stay the hell away from anything after 3pm on a Friday.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You haven't heard of the concept of 'read-only friday'?

Because goddamn if this isn't a good example of why that's a thing.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
The thing is, the guy shouldn't even be bothering with alerts in vCenter - I'm one of the two Virtualization admins on the team, and there's a reason they pay me twice what he makes. If I haven't done anything about the alert other than acknowledge it then I have no idea why he thought he needed to investigate. Besides, we get half a dozen of the low voltage alerts every day, and they go away in an hour once the battery recharges. I'm thinking I need to shoot him with a Nerf Mega dart on Monday to indicate my extreme displeasure at having to stay an hour after my normal shift ends to clean the mess up.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Make him bring in donuts for the team as punishment.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

After calling our Team Lead he finally manages to give me the host that the VM is supposed to be on, but when I KVM into it the vCenter VM isn't on it. Normally not a problem, but I really didn't want to have to log into 90 or so hosts to try and find it. Fortunately I was able to log into the right host after 4 tries and reboot the VM using the vSphere client.

This can be pretty tedious (and stressful) to hunt down, which is why we use a DRS rule to lock our vSphere VM to two possible hosts.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Shuntly posted:

This can be pretty tedious (and stressful) to hunt down, which is why we use a DRS rule to lock our vSphere VM to two possible hosts.

Unfortunately I don't have any say over DRS. In fact, I pretty much have no say over anything. My job consists of sitting at my desk and staring at my monitors for some sort of catastrophe. And if such a catastrophe happens, my job is to simply report it to my team lead and someone remotely with no clue will be responsible for fixing it. Perfectly good waste of a VCP5. Honestly I'm just trying to get a year of experience on my resume before I go somewhere else where I can actually use my cert. I mean, it's nice and all to get paid what I do and have virtually no responsibility for anything, but it gets boring after awhile and my skills are rusting. But it's nice to be able to say that I am a Virtualization Admin for the USAF's virtualized environment (AFNet) with over 100 local hosts and 500 VMs, which are supporting 200,000 Exchange, Lync, and SharePoint users in the continental United States. Even if my job amounts to rebooting a server every now and then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're like a human Nagios

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If something goes down at that scale, it's much better to have a human to blame than a nagios config :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think I'm up to 9 VMs and I could probably drop at least 1... :blush:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

I should probably be a little more careful about what I wish for - I got a call from my team lead a little after 10pm about one of the SharePoint database VMs not coming back up after patching this evening. A good question to ask might be "why was someone patching a SharePoint server on a weekend after a major holiday when most people are out of town?" I have no answer for it, but I got to spend 90 minutes trying to figure out why the hell this super-critical highly-important SharePoint database server was not coming back up. Next time, I'm not going to answer the drat phone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I should probably be a little more careful about what I wish for - I got a call from my team lead a little after 10pm about one of the SharePoint database VMs not coming back up after patching this evening. A good question to ask might be "why was someone patching a SharePoint server on a weekend after a major holiday when most people are out of town?" I have no answer for it, but I got to spend 90 minutes trying to figure out why the hell this super-critical highly-important SharePoint database server was not coming back up. Next time, I'm not going to answer the drat phone.

You end up just rolling back the patch?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Closing shift, finishing up a call that was pushed to me post-close. TM signs me out of Inin, and when I ask about it, he says I was in followup for 50 minutes. I say it's bullshit because I was looking at my status like a hawk because it was close to closing, I wouldn't have misread my status for half an hour that I had between calls.

Pulls up the info for me for that day, shows I was in followup for 5 minutes (which makes more sense as I noticed I was kicked out about 5 minutes after the call ended) and he misread it.

I'll thank you to not touch my poo poo and let me manage myself, thank you very much.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

No, I ended up removing the hard drive from the VM that was causing the problem. Took a few minutes to find it since there were 40 of them (don't ask me why - I don't make any decisions or have any input). I'll be talking with the team lead and EMC vendor rep who manages our storage arrays on Monday to figure out what went wrong and what the impact is going to be, if any.

What really pisses me off about the whole thing is that I missed most of the 4th quarter of the Notre Dame-Stanford game (big Notre Dame fan). That's the second time this year that someone has called and pulled me away from an intense game and made me miss the end. Sure I recorded it, but it's not the same as watching it live.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Wibla posted:

You haven't heard of the concept of 'read-only friday'?

Because goddamn if this isn't a good example of why that's a thing.

At any company where weekends are a thing, I actually like making changes on a Friday. If I make a change (E: after-hours) on Wednesday and something breaks, I'm staying as late as needed working desperately to recover by 8 am Thurs. If something breaks (E: after-hours) on a Friday, I go home, get some sleep,and have all weekend to fix it.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 29, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Not content to ruin my night of college football the Sharepoint Team Lead called me today to ask me to do a database restore. I regretfully told him that my VPN software wasn't letting me authenticate (not fibbing about that - it just sat there and kept prompting for a password, so I'll need to get that fixed tomorrow) and that if it needed to be done then I would have to go in to take care of it and that he needed to clear it with my Team Lead. So either my TL told him no, or he never called him. Either way worked for me.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I was once 15th in the escalation path for a major production system change. If I got the call the only thing I was to do was shout "ROLL IT BACK" until someone did so and if anyone argued to shout it louder. This was as described by our CEO. I'm not sure why there were 15 levels of escalation, why I was IN the escalation path and why the hell I was the designated "roll it back" guy. Perhaps it was because I was one of the few sensible people who hadn't been involved in the project in some way and therefore had no personal vested interest in it succeeding or not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Last time I had someone going "roll this back!" it was after (person) bungled up the recovery process helplessly.

"Can't, (reason)."

"What did you do? "

(Backup audit log) "Because (reason)." (Reason) included (person)'s login and a config change that is described poorly in the UI but is easier to understand in a few lines of logging. I suspect (person) had not seen the audit log before.

We're doing this much more granularly and with a different approach now, such that someone can't harm the entire lun in which a problem VM resides.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

An element in repairing problems caused with misunderstandings with VMs in those days involved attaching a usb disk drive to the hypervisor, running an ancient clonezilla live cd, and loading the VM up on (person)'s laptop once the VM was transfered to another usb external drive.

I can't make this up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

An element in repairing problems caused with misunderstandings with VMs in those days involved attaching a usb disk drive to the hypervisor, running an ancient clonezilla live cd, and loading the VM up on (person)'s laptop once the VM was transfered to another usb external drive.

I can't make this up.

I've tried to understand this but your username and avatar seem to be an accurate description of the problem.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 30, 2015

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off right now... lovely developers...

All our machines run as standard users. Trying to install some new software a repair parts vendor we use has supplied called PartSmart. It installs fine, but absolutely refuses to run without admin. Looking at process monitor it is not getting any access denied errors. Without admin it immediately throws a .NET exception when run.

From what I can tell looking at the exception details, this software is specifically checking to see if it has admin access and bombing if it doesn't. :argh:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We scheduled a fire drill for removing tables from DynamoDB in our test environment to see what the environment will do today. This would be great but they did it at Noon with no lunch provided and it will probably take a couple hours to do. I'm sure the developers won't go to lunch either. Guess I'm doing an early lunch!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stevewm posted:

All our machines run as standard users. Trying to install some new software a repair parts vendor we use has supplied called PartSmart. It installs fine, but absolutely refuses to run without admin. Looking at process monitor it is not getting any access denied errors. Without admin it immediately throws a .NET exception when run.

From what I can tell looking at the exception details, this software is specifically checking to see if it has admin access and bombing if it doesn't. :argh:

gently caress PartSmart forever.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress PartSmart forever.

Agreed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

stevewm posted:

Any software that does that makes me think the devs were mentally challenged. Hurr durr I have admin therefor everyone does!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tigntink posted:

Any software that does that makes me think the devs were mentally challenged. Hurr durr I have admin therefor everyone does!

And they are not even catching the exception... "Unhandled exception at 'HasAdminToken'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's one of my pet peeves too. People who are too lazy to figure out what permissions a program needs and just go "Give it local/domain/enterprise admin, then it works". Especially when it's something simple but stupid like needing to write a file in its installation directory.

Our SQL Server was running under a Domain Admin account for years because the guy who set it up didn't understand the "trusted for delegation" flag. And to make it better, the xp_cmdshell system procedure wasn't disabled, meaning anyone with the right to execute system stored procedures on the server could potentially run anything as domain admin. :downs: