Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just understand that Oculus Go is not in any way "Real VR". I'm sure it's a fine media player and a fun toy to mess around with, but a headset with only 3 degrees of head or hand tracking just isn't representative of what VR is capable of in tyool 2018. I'm a little torn about the whole idea, I get that it's a pretty cool thing for not much money that gives you a taste of what VR could be, but the GearVR software ecosystem just plain isn't very good and that's a real big problem for the Go. If it turns out to work like a gateway drug to get people more interested in VR in general, I'm all for it, but I think it's equally possible that people will gently caress around with it for a couple days and decide it isn't worth it, as evidenced by the thousands of GearVR sets people ditch on ebay for nothing. You can't even watch YouTube with it at launch.

If you already have a decent gaming PC, you can get a Windows MR headset on sale for around the same price, which is a way, way, way better deal.

Yeah, I’m aware of its limitations. I don’t expect it to be a religious experience or anything, but I do think it will get more support than the Gear VR by virtue of all of the Go’s sharing common hardware and not having to worry about phones with different specs and OS updates running its programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Is he... asking us to review his VR game?

Yes. Review a game, thank you.
This one specifically:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/629970/Beast_Pets/

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

some_admin posted:

Yes. Review a game, thank you.
This one specifically:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/629970/Beast_Pets/

It looks cute, I'm sure little kids would love it. I'm not going to go through the process of requesting a beta key so if you want us to review it here you should post some or PM them. I can tell you right now that there is absolutely no chance it's going to make anyone any money though.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Is there a VR port of Proteus?

That would be a dope VR game/experience

https://store.steampowered.com/app/219680/Proteus/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Its very close. I have some of those lens inserts coming for the GF so I can test it once they get here. Hopefully a week or so.

I was reading somewhere else that they are a little too different to work.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

I was reading somewhere else that they are a little too different to work.

Thankfully for me it’s fine. Good to know tho.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Please be careful if you're using weights while doing VRcercise because you can do a real number on your joints if you don't take care

I've only recently healed from a double break and a dislocation in my leg to the point I can walk around and play VR again and the two and a half months I have been out of commission has made me wildly out of shape.

About two hours of BoxVR, Audioshield and Soundboxing over two days have made me horribly aware just how out of shape I've become because I feel like a truck has hit me

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Please be careful if you're using weights while doing VRcercise because you can do a real number on your joints if you don't take care

I've only recently healed from a double break and a dislocation in my leg to the point I can walk around and play VR again and the two and a half months I have been out of commission has made me wildly out of shape.

About two hours of BoxVR, Audioshield and Soundboxing over two days have made me horribly aware just how out of shape I've become because I feel like a truck has hit me

Yeah. Weights are serious.

poo poo moves around and you can gently caress yourself up good.

Seriously weights are no joke.

Talk to a DR, wear supports, etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ick how do you guys deal with that much sweat

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah. Weights are serious.

poo poo moves around and you can gently caress yourself up good.

Seriously weights are no joke.

Talk to a DR, wear supports, etc.

Oh boy, here come all the people saying "Nah, I do it all the time and I'm fine."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Oh boy, here come all the people saying "Nah, I do it all the time and I'm fine."

I work out 3 days a week (or more) with BoxVR and weights (1-2 hours, depends how I'm feeling). Its fine. Just dont be an idiot about it, wear supports, and make sure your bones arent fragile or something. Basically talk to your DR if you have any concerns. They specifically make weights for things like boxing, so how its any different is beyond me.

I doubt I'll be throwing my weights on for beat saber anytime soon though.

Ciaphas posted:

ick how do you guys deal with that much sweat

Bandana

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Beat Saber is amazing and everything I hoped it would be. It feels super cool to nail a complicated section. I've been jamming to the publicly released tracks for weeks, so I was really hoping it wouldn't suck. Just played it for an hour and a half straight, the advice on starting on Hard if you're into rhythm games is good I think. A lot less waiting around for notes. I think it coming with a bunch of solid tracks is great, I look forward to more and user created ones, but at least you have a few that are nice right out the gate.

Also, after the most physical activity in a while and the end results of that:

Shine posted:

Please work out.
:gonk:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

I work out 3 days a week (or more) with BoxVR and weights (1-2 hours, depends how I'm feeling). Its fine. Just dont be an idiot about it, wear supports, and make sure your bones arent fragile or something. Basically talk to your DR if you have any concerns. They specifically make weights for things like boxing, so how its any different is beyond me.

Shadowboxing with weights is a really bad idea for a whole lot of reasons and just because they make wrist weights doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. You will absolutely gently caress your elbows doing this long term.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4n7tm0/psa_use_wrist_or_ankle_weights_in_vr_at_your_own/
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ankle-wrist-weights-pump-pain/story?id=16824588
http://www.webefit.com/articles_600_699/article_627_AnkleWristWeight.html

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

They specifically make weights for things like boxing, so how its any different is beyond me.

"I'm not a doctor and I don't have any special knowledge or training, so why WOULDN'T I know everything there is to know?"

I've almost thrown out my shoulder multiple times playing Echo Arena and doing lots of throws repeatedly is rough on your arm. Adding a weight to it is only going to increase your chance of getting hurt. You aren't going to put it on and immediately die, but you're going to increase the chances for an acute injury and wear yourself down faster over time.

Just do resistance/strength training separate from cardio. There's a reason why that's how everyone does it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
If you gently caress yourself up just go to your doctor and if your doctor sucks you should bootstrap yourself to a better one.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I got some mad elbow cramps playing "Fake world's VR"

The movement system is super cool and unique but my elbow hurt a fair bit afterwards

Recommended for the price(free)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Shadowboxing with weights is a really bad idea for a whole lot of reasons and just because they make wrist weights doesn't mean it's a good thing to do. You will absolutely gently caress your elbows doing this long term.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4n7tm0/psa_use_wrist_or_ankle_weights_in_vr_at_your_own/
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ankle-wrist-weights-pump-pain/story?id=16824588
http://www.webefit.com/articles_600_699/article_627_AnkleWristWeight.html

Lemming posted:

"I'm not a doctor and I don't have any special knowledge or training, so why WOULDN'T I know everything there is to know?"

I've almost thrown out my shoulder multiple times playing Echo Arena and doing lots of throws repeatedly is rough on your arm. Adding a weight to it is only going to increase your chance of getting hurt. You aren't going to put it on and immediately die, but you're going to increase the chances for an acute injury and wear yourself down faster over time.

Just do resistance/strength training separate from cardio. There's a reason why that's how everyone does it.

I love you goons.

I’ll be fine. Think y’all need to relax and realize you can do these things safely without killing yourself.

Or you think I’m flailing around in a new game slapping 5lb weights on.

Either way, consult your dr etc before you do stuff.

It’s hilarious you guys think I’ve not considered this and even earlier in the thread I had worries due to having semi weak wrists. Turns out. I’m alright and have been given the go ahead using supports.

Good god. Lol

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

who the hell even consults a doctor these days anyway. just do a reddit search for at least 2-3 second hand anecdotes that confirm your existing beliefs

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

You aren't going to put it on and immediately die, but you're going to increase the chances for an acute injury and wear yourself down faster over time.

EbolaIvory posted:

Think y’all need to relax and realize you can do these things safely without killing yourself.

Why do I even bother?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

If you want to use weights, do it in Sprint Vector where it's more fluid motion, not a boxing game with sharp motions.

Beyond that, just listen to your body, ya goobers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Beyond that, just listen to your body, ya goobers.

This part, agreed. As did everyone who’s a medical professional that I’ve talked to. Well and use supports.

Lol at sprint vector with weights tho. That game id probably hurt myself. Even with 1lb. I jerk around waaaaaayyy too much on reactionary games like that. Box I can actually control the temp with music. Vector no so much. Plus, not real into it.

Lemming posted:

Why do I even bother?

Not sure. You continue to tell me something drs seem ok with is a bad idea, and seem to think I’m slapping on 10lb bar bells swinging wildly in the dark. 1lb currently. Was using 1.5 but the gloves themselves were weird and stretchy and they would stretch causing flex. So we replaced them so I didn’t hurt myself.

Maybe it’s out of love and concern. If so cool. But I’m old enough to have made sure I’m not going to trash my body. If it’s not, calm down goon.

Chadzok posted:

who the hell even consults a doctor these days anyway. just do a reddit search for at least 2-3 second hand anecdotes that confirm your existing beliefs

I’m in and out of a couple offices regularly. Other health problems. Ha. So I always check into poo poo if I’m going in. This was a recent thing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm having a weird issue with my WMR. Out of nowhere, it started pausing for about one second every two seconds. So it'll be fine for two seconds, then pause (everything freezes on both headset and desktop), then is fine for two more seconds, etc. I found one or two search results with the same issue, and apparently it has to do with Windows loving up something with my monitor configuration. As a workaround, I unplugged my second monitor (leaving just the main and WMR plugged in) and now all is well. Weird and kinda annoying :(

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shine posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my WMR. Out of nowhere, it started pausing for about one second every two seconds. So it'll be fine for two seconds, then pause (everything freezes on both headset and desktop), then is fine for two more seconds, etc. I found one or two search results with the same issue, and apparently it has to do with Windows loving up something with my monitor configuration. As a workaround, I unplugged my second monitor (leaving just the main and WMR plugged in) and now all is well. Weird and kinda annoying :(

This isn’t happening with mine, but I will say that when I connect or disconnect my WMR, one of my monitors goes black for a second or two and then comes back.

SteamVR also complains about a monitor being mirrored or something but I ignore it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If I'm seeing the floor shudder and change height every once in a while, is that indicative of USB overload on an Oculus Rift? Everything will just move up or down a bit, like it's recalculating where the floor is. The sensors are not quite the same height on the walls, but they're not off by more than a few inches, could that be an issue?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Phenotype posted:

If I'm seeing the floor shudder and change height every once in a while, is that indicative of USB overload on an Oculus Rift? Everything will just move up or down a bit, like it's recalculating where the floor is. The sensors are not quite the same height on the walls, but they're not off by more than a few inches, could that be an issue?

Yea. It’s tracking. That happens when my headset “drops tracking.” Either something’s moving, losing power. Etc but it’s definitely tracking.

Start with usb. That’d be my first guess

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I did a thing in Beat Saber which is totally awesome and everyone should buy.

I had this idea to take some of my protube gear and make a secret weapon for Beat Saber and it worked so amazingly well on the first try
https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralFrozenToadAMPEnergy

The game really needs a staff saber mode because it is so dope. After getting the hang of it I was able to clear a bunch of songs on Hard, expert is flat out impossible.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/256835793

I also just realize I’m using my protube parts suboptimally and I’m going to make another ProSaber 3.0 tonight that will work even more perfectly.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

I did a thing in Beat Saber which is totally awesome and everyone should buy.

I had this idea to take some of my protube gear and make a secret weapon for Beat Saber and it worked so amazingly well on the first try
https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralFrozenToadAMPEnergy

The game really needs a staff saber mode because it is so dope. After getting the hang of it I was able to clear a bunch of songs on Hard, expert is flat out impossible.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/256835793

I also just realize I’m using my protube parts suboptimally and I’m going to make another ProSaber 3.0 tonight that will work even more perfectly.

For those of us that have a stock but haven't used it for a while please post pictures on how you built this.

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
Just in case anyone is as stupid as I am, in Beat Saber, the dot mode is actually pretty different than the default. I kept not choosing it because I assumed it was just the same thing but without directions. I think it's a little more fun.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Beat saber is great but I wish I was more into 90% of the songs. So few with an actual melody :(

IronMcHardSteel posted:

Just in case anyone is as stupid as I am, in Beat Saber, the dot mode is actually pretty different than the default. I kept not choosing it because I assumed it was just the same thing but without directions. I think it's a little more fun.
More fun how?

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
I finished everything on hard but I can't get far into expert so maybe I was getting a little frustrated but being able to cut the blocks however you want just felt really nice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ralith posted:

Beat saber is great but I wish I was more into 90% of the songs. So few with an actual melody :(

More fun how?

A lot of fun!

IronMcHardSteel posted:

It’s also making me better at standard because you have to think about combos more since the game isn’t telling you what way to swing. It’s my fav mode atm.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

For those of us that have a stock but haven't used it for a while please post pictures on how you built this.

ProSaber 3.0 is going to be the best yet, its pretty drat simple.

Just take some of the tube connecting joints, put one on each end of the longer tube, put the controller on the other end, bam! Staff saber.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

ProSaber 3.0 is going to be the best yet, its pretty drat simple.

Just take some of the tube connecting joints, put one on each end of the longer tube, put the controller on the other end, bam! Staff saber.

Wait, you're using it Darth Maul style? or is that two tubes and you're holding them together in that picture?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wellllp I'm officially extra pumped for gen2 VR.

A couple minutes ago during the keynote at F8, oculus showed off a fully functional contained prototype the same size as the rift that has motorized lenses to change the focal plane dynamically, along with a 140 degree field of view called Half Dome. It wasn't some wires all over giant prototype, it just looked like a rift. They also showed off camera based hand tracking apparently miles beyond anything so far done.

If gen 2 doesn't have that i'll eat my hat.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Wait, you're using it Darth Maul style? or is that two tubes and you're holding them together in that picture?

Yes, its not a supported mode but it needs to be! So far I have only played Beat Saber in 100% staff saber mode. Its a lot of fun, here is one of the first times playing it. https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralFrozenToadAMPEnergy

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

Wellllp I'm officially extra pumped for gen2 VR.

A couple minutes ago during the keynote at F8, oculus showed off a fully functional contained prototype the same size as the rift that has motorized lenses to change the focal plane dynamically, along with a 140 degree field of view called Half Dome. It wasn't some wires all over giant prototype, it just looked like a rift. They also showed off camera based hand tracking apparently miles beyond anything so far done.

If gen 2 doesn't have that i'll eat my hat.

Holy ffffffffffff. CLIP PLEASE

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

rage-saq posted:

Holy ffffffffffff. CLIP PLEASE

Can't get a clip, but if you watch the video it should be about 8 minutes from the end https://www.facebook.com/facebookforDevelopers/videos/10155609688618553/

A screen grab of the new lenses they briefly showed an image of:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Can't get a clip, but if you watch the video it should be about 8 minutes from the end https://www.facebook.com/facebookforDevelopers/videos/10155609688618553/

A screen grab of the new lenses they briefly showed an image of:

Hokly nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oculus getting bought out by Facebook was a Faustian loving bargain but the devil really does have a shitload of money