Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I meant more if you steal from the poor you get a pat on the back but stealing from the rich is off the table. To be fair, I'm not entirely sure on who all Bernie hosed over but I wouldn't be surprised if they quit putting up with it once it started affecting the rich

It affected the rich the entire time but he got away with it because it was a Ponzi scheme. As far as anybody knew he was just a good investor that you put money into and more money came out. He described the thing as "one big lie." The whole thing ended up being worth tens of billions (yes, with a b) of dollars at the end. It's baffling that it lasted as long and as big as it did.

Price gouging is different than actual fraud and generally speaking I think is legal. I'm not a lawyer but I think it's only illegal if there's something like deliberate price fixing or a cartel forming to agree to not compete with each other. Back before infinite text messages the big cell phone companies apparently got caught colluding to keep text messages not infinite and prices high; hence $1,000 monthly phone bills cropping up from time to time. There just isn't a way for a Ponzi scheme to ever stay solvent forever which is why they're inherently fraudulent.

A pharmaceutical company increasing the price of a life-saving drug by 5,000% overnight is unethical as hell but currently, far as I know, is totally legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Saw this story yesterday and instantly thought of this thread:

Novelist who wrote about ‘How to Murder Your Husband’ charged with murdering her husband

quote:

She wrote the post on the blog “See Jane Publish” in November 2011, describing five core motives and a number of murder weapons from which she would choose if her character were to kill a husband in a romance novel. She advised against hiring a hit man to do the dirty work — “an amazing number of hit men rat you out to the police” — and against hiring a lover. “Never a good idea.” Poison was not advised either, because it’s traceable. “Who wants to hang out with a sick husband?” she wrote.

“After all,” Crampton Brophy wrote in the post, which was made private after inquiries from The Washington Post to the site’s administrators, “if the murder is supposed to set me free, I certainly don’t want to spend any time in jail.”

In real life, she appeared to follow some of her own advice, at least according to police. Rather than hire a hit man, she allegedly pulled the trigger herself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, they do say you should write what you know.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Well if Blanche Taylor Moore taught us anything, lady's wrong. You can get away with multiple arsenic husband murders if you don't get cocky.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Unsourced and it's from Tumblr? Yeah, that's some bullshit.

Not to mention that if you're cutting up the bodies of your comrades for food, you don't loving skin them. That's way too much unnecessary effort.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Maaselk%C3%A4_cannibalism.jpg

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

If 70+ people overdosed on fentanyl, there would be a serious investigation. Police in CT are unbelievably racist, but only because nobody believes we can be as racist as "The South."

If anyone deserves to be shot in the back of the head, it's the fucker who claimed that 80% of fires are arson.

For the US? Sometime in the 1800s.

I'm not sure on the source, but mujaheddin in Afghanistan in the '80s (CW: extremely graphic violence) killed captured Russian soldiers by running a knife around the waist, peeling the skin up, and tying it in a knot above the head and leaving them to die of either blood loss of suffocation, whichever happened first.

This sounds incredibly made up

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

This sounds incredibly made up

Not to bum anyone out but I have unfortunately seen a video of this happening except for the knot part in a Mexican cartel video and it’s still burned into my mind. Do not try to find it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not to bum anyone out but I have unfortunately seen a video of this happening except for the knot part in a Mexican cartel video and it’s still burned into my mind. Do not try to find it

What the gently caress

T-thanks for making me unnerved, thread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's just intentional degloving, degloving happens all the time and people survive truly alarming degrees of it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pirate Radar posted:

The rest of the pharmaceutical industry was pissed off at Shkreli because he was making them look bad... by being so dumb and obvious about it. What he did is considered normal practice, it’s just usually cloaked in a more competent corporate messaging plan and represented by people who aren’t scientifically the least trustworthy-looking human being alive

It's also something that's specifically encouraged by the FDA.

There are tons of medicines out there that have been around forever and are thoroughly genericized. But since they predate modern FDA testing, many of the uses of them are off-label. That means it's entirely legal for a doctor to prescribe, say, colchecine, to treat gout, but it's not legal for a pharma company to promote the drug for that use. It also means there are no official FDA dosage guidelines, side effect lists, etc, for using that drug for that purpose.

The FDA doesn't like off-label uses, and wants to incentivize companies to pay for the research studies to turn an off-label use into an on-label use. But these drugs are generic, patent protection has long since lapsed for them. So it does that by saying "Okay, if your company does the study, we'll grant you market exclusivity for a period of time that in some cases is longer than the original patent." So there's technically not a patent on the drug, but that one company is the only one the FDA will allow to sell it in the US.

Another category where this happens is the so-called "orphan drugs," drugs created for very rare diseases that affect so few people that producing the drug would ordinarily be unprofitable. So again, market exclusivity is the carrot offered to manufacturers to encourage them to produce it. The trouble is that even when that protection lapses, the market for the drug is so small that it's not worth it to generic producers to duplicate the product (which isn't a trivial thing in any case).

That's how Shkreli was able to do what he did. Daraprim's been around since the 1950s, the patent's long-since lapsed. Why didn't some generic producer just undercut the hell out of him? Because hardly anyone uses Daraprim, only about 2000 people per year, and at that market size it's not worth it for a generic manufacturer to invest millions of dollars and years of time seeking FDA approval to produce a drug that will net them maybe $100,000/year of profit if they're lucky. So rent-seekers can buy up marketing rights, jack the price, and enjoy a few years of control of the market before the new higher price convinces a competitor to emerge.

Pharma blogger Derek Lowe has a number of good articles on this:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/09/21/what-to-do-about-turing-and-the-others
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/09/23/shkreli-turing-and-phrma
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2015/09/21/martin-shkreli-has-one-idea-and-its-a-bad-one

Slatestar Codex also has a good article on the problems with generics:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/09/24/the-problems-with-generic-medications-go-deeper-than-one-company/

quote:

This adds an important extra dimension to Vox’s theory that it’s just too hard to start making a generic medication. If all you want to do is synthesize an active ingredient in powder form, and you’re not too concerned about staying on the right side of the law, it costs pennies and takes however long you need to FedEx something from China. If you also want FDA approval, it costs $2 million and takes two years.

Remember, Daraprim is used by about 10,000 people per year, and before the recent Turing price markup, it cost $13.50 per pill x eighty pills per treatment. 10,000 * 80 * $13.50 = about $10 million per year, of which maybe $5 million was profit. That means you have to capture a big chunk of the Daraprim market before it’s worth trying to get yourself approved to make Daraprim; the FDA is essentially telling pharma companies to “go big or go home”. Nobody wanted to go big, so they all went home.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pick posted:

It's just intentional degloving, degloving happens all the time and people survive truly alarming degrees of it.

Phanatic posted:

It's also something that's specifically encouraged by the FDA.
Try Degloving Today!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I went looking......I should not have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the gently caress

T-thanks for making me unnerved, thread

People are terrible. You really very badly do not want to know the poo poo south American drug cartels get up to. You really, really don't.

I'd never have believed it if photographs didn't hit the news. Do NOT go looking. Really. Don't.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So I had an ould reverse image search there cause I guess I missed that image last night. As far as I can tell it is a real image of human skin so you know what the actual gently caress don't post that inline in a thread. What the gently caress.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tumblr, with no source, so no clue if this is bullshit or not, it's bullshit! but it's good and creepy anyways:
Finnish soldiers showing the skin of a cannibalized Russian soldier. Russia actually had to implement anti cannibalism brigades during WWII. 1940.

Hello I see you say this is BS I would like the snopes or whatever on that before I edit out and do a probation. Thank you.

e: like if the bs is just about the cannibalism brigade and not that this is a hoax welp

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People are terrible. You really very badly do not want to know the poo poo south American drug cartels get up to. You really, really don't.

I'd never have believed it if photographs didn't hit the news. Do NOT go looking. Really. Don't.

Mexico happens to be in North America, though?

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
Why would you even remove the skin if you're going to cannibalize someone? That's where all the nutrients are!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

joxxuh posted:

Why would you even remove the skin if you're going to cannibalize someone? That's where all the nutrients are!

Yeah, that’s just like not eating the crust of your pizza. What a waste.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Negrostrike posted:

Mexico happens to be in North America, though?

I mostly see people consider Mexico south American given that they speak Spanish. Which doesn't make geographical sense. And not all of South America speaks Spanish.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I mostly see people consider Mexico south American given that they speak Spanish. Which doesn't make geographical sense. And not all of South America speaks Spanish.

What? Mexico is definably in North America.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

So I had an ould reverse image search there cause I guess I missed that image last night. As far as I can tell it is a real image of human skin so you know what the actual gently caress don't post that inline in a thread. What the gently caress.

I'm so sorry. Removed!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.alamogordonews.com/story/news/local/2018/09/07/sunspot-observatory-south-cloudcroft-closed-due-security-issue/1227788002/

Unnerving due to the absolute lack of information. It is like an old X-Files episode, or the start of a movie.

Most likely speculation I heard was it is related to the proximity to White Sands testing area and a possible compromise of the communications equipment at the facility. E.g a foreign power has hacked in to a radio array at the observatory and is attempting to use that to monitor activity around White Sands.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hauki posted:

What? Mexico is definably in North America.

Central America. :colbert:

Yes I know that but most people seem to think of it as South America.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Latin America

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Varkk posted:

https://www.alamogordonews.com/story/news/local/2018/09/07/sunspot-observatory-south-cloudcroft-closed-due-security-issue/1227788002/

Unnerving due to the absolute lack of information. It is like an old X-Files episode, or the start of a movie.

Most likely speculation I heard was it is related to the proximity to White Sands testing area and a possible compromise of the communications equipment at the facility. E.g a foreign power has hacked in to a radio array at the observatory and is attempting to use that to monitor activity around White Sands.

I didn't see it there, but I am seeing it elsewhere that the local post office is also closed, so I'm going to guess someone mailed a package of something particularly nasty there and now they've got to figure out what it is, if it's even anything at all.

That'd explain the secrecy, and the immediate involvement of the FBI. Could easily be what you're saying, but if the post office closure is confirmed, it doesn't fit as well with that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Central America. :colbert:

Yes I know that but most people seem to think of it as South America.

I've never met a single person that thought Mexico was in South America. And I know a lot of really stupid people. Hell, even in Arizona they never claimed anything that silly, and that had some of the dumbest human beings I've ever met...and I lived in Florida.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Here, have this instead: creepy in a different way.

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1040322567347687424

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never met a single person that thought Mexico was in South America. And I know a lot of really stupid people. Hell, even in Arizona they never claimed anything that silly, and that had some of the dumbest human beings I've ever met...and I lived in Florida.

I live in PA. It's kind of hard to mistake it if you're literally next door but woods dwelling northerners...yeah. Mexico is like all the way down there and they speak Spanish so obviously it's south America!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I guess he did actually hear people criticizing him for the "The only thing I could spend my money on is space" remarks but proceeded to go about in the most bass-ackwards way possible.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It is south of America.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I work with a couple of people that went through the Chicago Public school system who barely know how to write and don't understand that Chicago isn't a state.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I live in PA. It's kind of hard to mistake it if you're literally next door but woods dwelling northerners...yeah. Mexico is like all the way down there and they speak Spanish so obviously it's south America!

I live in Indiana, and have never once heard this. Any adult making this claim should be mocked relentlessly. Get smarter friends.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

How do they feel about NAFTA?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

xtal posted:

How do they feel about NAFTA?

Probably against it, but don't know what it is. Seems to be the common mind set in AZ.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Buildings in Massachusetts are exploding this evening.

https://twitter.com/MassStatePolice/status/1040366227678486528

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawrence-ma-fire-gas-explosion-suspected-2018-09-13-live-updates/

At least 39 buildings serviced by Columbia Gas of Massachusetts have exploded. The state police are asking residents of Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover to evacuate their homes immediately. The Andover PD are using their 911 dispatch center to call homes to ask people to evacuate. Off-ramps on I-495 for exits 42 - 45 are closed; on-ramps are still open to permit evacuation. National Grid, which provides electricity but not natural gas in those areas, is shutting off power to prevent sparks from igniting more fires. They're also providing personnel to help. Mutual aid pacts with neighboring states are already being called on for more help.

The FBI has already stated that they are investigating the cause. Columbia Gas is working on depressurizing the lines to the affected areas. There've been at least 4 reported injuries, including a firefighter.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just as creepy is a cop bookmarking just about every lefty and anti police brutality group in Boston and just tweeting a picture of it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

MatildaTheHun posted:

Just as creepy is a cop bookmarking just about every lefty and anti police brutality group in Boston and just tweeting a picture of it.

When did that happen?

Oh, I see the toolbar now. He missed most of us.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

I live in Indiana, and have never once heard this. Any adult making this claim should be mocked relentlessly. Get smarter friends.

Joke's on you I don't have friends.

And yes I'm well aware that it's stupid to treat it that way. I'm not defending it in just saying it's a thing that exists in some people's minds.

Yes many of them are also racists that assume every Mexican they see in America is here illegally. These are the no I won't press 1 for English types.

Yes I did :sever:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

MatildaTheHun posted:

I gotta figure that's a thing in just about every city's PD.

Stay safe, goons.

e: drat, I should've taken a screenshot of that. They deleted the tweet.

e2: A goon snagged the image for me.

And my own bad screenshot of the tweet.

POOL IS CLOSED has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i managed to snag it thanks to discord archiving twitter links lol