Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Big open world games will always look two years behind real small tight FPS graphics based shooters. The big giant open world game is never going to be where you find cutting edge graphics. It's more graphics vs better graphics.

Witcher 3 and MGS5 disproved this idea already this year. Now people are naturally going to ask Bethesda to step up and improve their own engine which is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hXtGkzZ9k

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_gdXv4xuo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it was a game that used a fairly constrained set of environments that you select from menus really well instead of making a giant sprawling world that you could freely travel.

Is your thesis that MGSV is not an open world game because I guarantee you it takes longer than 10 minutes and 40 seconds to cross Afghanistan, or even Mother Base after a couple upgrades.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it was a game that used a fairly constrained set of environments that you select from menus really well instead of making a giant sprawling world that you could freely travel.

Do you actually believe this?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Scoops posted:

Witcher 3 and MGS5 disproved this idea already this year. Now people are naturally going to ask Bethesda to step up and improve their own engine which is a good thing.

MGS5 has mission playsets, not an open world. Yeah, they're loving huge but they are constrained to your current mission nonetheless

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if the fact that other open world games are bigger and better looking than Bethesda's stuff will come up in any reviews.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Scoops posted:

Witcher 3 is a largely static environment in terms of props, unlike Fallout's constant physics goofiness.

I know next to nothing about MGSV, but yes:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Quality, prevalence, cheap production; pick two in the best of times.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Scoops posted:

The thing is, MGSV also showed that if doing things properly instead of cutting corners is too hard, the developer will say 'gently caress it' and make pachinko games instead. Bethesda has already gotten a taste of the infinite cash cow that is the mobile gaming scene with Fallout Shelter. Like I said, I'm hyped for this game, especially after seeing that prerelease stream, but I'm not an idiot, I know it looks worse than the other open world games that came out this year.

Call it stockholm syndrome, or call it charm, but I've grown to be rather fond of the Bethesda jank, and I can put up with the corners they've cut if it means the rest of the game is better off for it. There's no such thing as voting with your wallet, if you like a thing, you take what you can get, or they take it away.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Xeremides posted:

I think they've pretty much done all they can with that engine. They really need to move to something not poo poo.

Bethesda basically has Been Gamebryo for the past however many years. Their entire development is tied to that piece of poo poo and I'm sure there's a bunch of the upper management that fear an engine change more than god himself.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The game looks awesome. I can't wait to play this awesome game next week. If you don't think it looks awesome, your opinion is different than mine. And that is just fine.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Jesus christ Bethesda, I get it

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

New Leaf posted:

The game looks awesome. I can't wait to play this awesome game next week. If you don't think it looks awesome, your opinion is different than mine. And that is just fine.

:agreed:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I think the game will be rad, fellow forums poster New Leaf.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scoops posted:

Witcher 3 and MGS5 disproved this idea already this year. Now people are naturally going to ask Bethesda to step up and improve their own engineuse a new goddamn engine please for the love of god which is a good thing.

seriously, the same problems surface again and again - from Oblivion until now, the animations and floaty feel of this engine really detract from the experience. FO4 looks like by far the best they've done yet, but you can still see the underlying jank, especially in the characters. I don't know how much of this is Bethesda's animators and how much is the engine, but after 10 years or whatever, they must be aware of it. These games have huge budgets and staffs - it's baffling to me why this most core part of the gameplay experience hasn't been rebuilt from the ground up by now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Buff Butler posted:

Do you actually believe this?

metal gear is one of the best games of the year but it's a totally different structure than a game like skyrim. You pick missions from menus and load into areas. You can't run from afghanistan to africa. That isn't some thing where that means MG is worse than skyrim, it just means the games are different and have different sort of requirements.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

People saying "it looks worse than other recent open world games" - before The Witcher 3 came out, anyone asked to name the most successful recent open world game would probably have said "Skyrim" which makes this entire conversation really weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Scoops posted:

You don't even have to bring out those two guns since Mad Max, another post-apocalyptic open world game, looks incredibly good next to Fallout 4, and that was a decidedly B-tier effort all things considered.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bardeh posted:

seriously, the same problems surface again and again - from Oblivion until now, the animations and floaty feel of this engine really detract from the experience. FO4 looks like by far the best they've done yet, but you can still see the underlying jank, especially in the characters. I don't know how much of this is Bethesda's animators and how much is the engine, but after 10 years or whatever, they must be aware of it. These games have huge budgets and staffs - it's baffling to me why this most core part of the gameplay experience hasn't been rebuilt from the ground up by now.

Speaking of which do the animations look improved from Skyrim? I think the screenshots look pretty good but haven't really seen it in motion.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Chalks posted:

People saying "it looks worse than other recent open world games" - before The Witcher 3 came out, anyone asked to name the most successful recent open world game would probably have said "Skyrim" which makes this entire conversation really weird.

successful = good

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which do the animations look improved from Skyrim? I think the screenshots look pretty good but haven't really seen it in motion.

They're definitely improved, but still very Bethesda jank like. Jumping still looks stupid, for instance.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Chalks posted:

Not really. Those other developers saw how nice Skyrim looked and wanted to beat it/create their own open world and did. Now it's Bethesda's turn to move past the new games they put out and it keeps going on like that. If you look at the Witcher 3 devs they constantly reiterated how inspired they were by Skyrim and how much they wanted to make their own game like it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, they're better. However, you still basically float through the air when you jump, the characters are still sort of 'slidey' when they move (although this part is undoubtedly improved) and the facial animations and lipsynching are really showing their age.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been calling this game Retard 4.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

metal gear is one of the best games of the year but it's a totally different structure than a game like skyrim. You pick missions from menus and load into areas. You can't run from afghanistan to africa. That isn't some thing where that means MG is worse than skyrim, it just means the games are different and have different sort of requirements.

OK, I see your point now. So I will amend mine to say that MGSV: TPP is two and a half open world game about the size of fallout 4.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For real though before the Witcher 3 came out there were people frothing at the mouth about a "graphical downgrade" comparing images from trailers and leaked pics like a JFK assassination conspiracy theory.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Launch Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aJfebzkrM

A little spoilery I guess if you don't want to know any details about the story. Happy to see them using the female player character in it too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

I think so too, to be honest. I can see the jankiness and stuff that people are complaining about, but I don't really care. I enjoyed other Bethesda games despite those issues, and I don't see them having much of an impact on my enjoyment here.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

successful = good

Well, to a certain degree, yes?

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
P sure this game is going to be good for the first 8 hours then get really boring/bad. Still going to log 40+ hours into it and mod out all the bad decisions.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scoops posted:

Not really. Those other developers saw how nice Skyrim looked and wanted to beat it/create their own open world and did. Now it's Bethesda's turn to move past the new games they put out and it keeps going on like that. If you look at the Witcher 3 devs they constantly reiterated how inspired they were by Skyrim and how much they wanted to make their own game like it.

I'm not arguing that The Witcher 3 doesn't look better, but it did only come out 6 months ago or whatever. If that game had been delayed, what would you be pointing to? 6 months ago when The Witcher 3 came out, you can hardly expect the Fallout devs to re-write loads of their engine to try to compete - that's a disastrous path. At least from the promotional images, this game looks better than previous games in the same engine, which have never been the prettiest PC gaming has to offer. Saying "it's not as nice as this one game that happened to get released first" seems like an odd criticism. It's on a par with other similar games, but it's not the top and I'd be astonished if anyone expected it to be given the history of this engine. The Witcher 2 looked better than Skyrim as well, games vary in aesthetic quality rather than always being incremental improvements based on their exact release order.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the characters in Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life look better than the ones in this game

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

nethack's graphics are so much better than this

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Bethesda has had over a decade to beat Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life's graphical fidelity, and they were not up to it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chalks posted:

... no poo poo?

No one is saying the game is going to drop like a rock and not sell. Of course it's going to be a blockbuster.

They are discussing graphics, not financial success.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'm going to mod T-Dog's 'It Just Works' in to replace the xp CHA-CHING sound.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This game looks worse than: Bubsy 3D.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Witcher 2 looked nicer than 3 in a lot of areas because it wasnt open world

Really W2 looks amazing for its age

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

... no poo poo?

No one is saying the game is going to drop like a rock and not sell. Of course it's going to be a blockbuster.

They are discussing graphics, not financial success.

Game X looks better than Game Y that was released at around the same time therefore

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Afghanistan and Africa are huge and you can free roam them, and you can go directly from one mission to another without returning to the helicopter for most of them. Saying that it's not an open world game is laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Chalks posted:

I'm not arguing that The Witcher 3 doesn't look better, but it did only come out 6 months ago or whatever. If that game had been delayed, what would you be pointing to? 6 months ago when The Witcher 3 came out, you can hardly expect the Fallout devs to re-write loads of their engine to try to compete - that's a disastrous path. At least from the promotional images, this game looks better than previous games in the same engine, which have never been the prettiest PC gaming has to offer. Saying "it's not as nice as this one game that happened to get released first" seems like an odd criticism. It's on a par with other similar games, but it's not the top and I'd be astonished if anyone expected it to be given the history of this engine. The Witcher 2 looked better than Skyrim as well, games vary in aesthetic quality rather than always being incremental improvements based on their exact release order.

I'd be pointing to MGS5. Considering they've been using the creation engine since 2011 which is a modified/evolution of the gamebryo engine I'd say they've had plenty of time to upgrade it to something else. Companies in Poland and Japan have been able to keep up with less resources and money than Bethesda has had and there isn't anything wrong in demanding that they start matching that or being disappointed that they haven't 4 years after their last game.

• Locked thread